Genomes and Genes
Summary: Fibers composed of MICROFILAMENT PROTEINS, which are predominately ACTIN. They are the smallest of the cytoskeletal filaments.
- DiTella M, Feiguin F, Morfini G, Caceres A. Microfilament-associated growth cone component depends upon Tau for its intracellular localization. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1994;29:117-30 pubmed
- Masani F. Node-like cells in the myocardial layer of the pulmonary vein of rats: an ultrastructural study. J Anat. 1986;145:133-42 pubmed..Taking into consideration physiological data, the possibility is discussed that the node-like cells may have a potential pacemaking activity and represent an ectopic pacemaker centre in the pulmonary vein. ..
- Hall P, Almahbobi G. Roles of microfilaments and intermediate filaments in adrenal steroidogenesis. Microsc Res Tech. 1997;36:463-79 pubmed..It is now necessary to define the details of the specific phosphorylation reactions that occur during the response to ACTH, that is, which amino acids are phosphorylated and to what extent by each of the kinase enzymes. ..
- Hu J, Lu J, Goyal A, Wong T, Lian G, Zhang J, et al. Opposing FlnA and FlnB interactions regulate RhoA activation in guiding dynamic actin stress fiber formation and cell spreading. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:1294-1304 pubmed publisher..Current studies show that FlnA and FlnB share a common function in stabilizing the actin cytoskeleton, they physically interact in the cytoplasm of chondrocytes, and loss of FlnA enhances FlnB expression of ..
- Bays J, DeMali K. Vinculin in cell-cell and cell-matrix adhesions. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:2999-3009 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we discuss roles of vinculin in binding to and rearranging the actin cytoskeleton.
- Nixon R, Paskevich P, Sihag R, Thayer C. Phosphorylation on carboxyl terminus domains of neurofilament proteins in retinal ganglion cell neurons in vivo: influences on regional neurofilament accumulation, interneurofilament spacing, and axon caliber. J Cell Biol. 1994;126:1031-46 pubmed
- ..A recent study in Cell (Mueller et al., 2017) examines the capability of branched actin networks to respond and adapt to mechanical load in vivo. ..
- Filipuzzi I, Thomas J, Pries V, Estoppey D, Salcius M, Studer C, et al. Direct Interaction of Chivosazole F with Actin Elicits Cell Responses Similar to Latrunculin A but Distinct from Chondramide. ACS Chem Biol. 2017;12:2264-2269 pubmed publisher..As editing of C14orf80 leads to Chivosazole F hyper-resistance, we propose a function for this gene product in counteracting perturbation of actin filaments. ..
- Harterink M, da Silva M, Will L, Turan J, Ibrahim A, Lang A, et al. DeActs: genetically encoded tools for perturbing the actin cytoskeleton in single cells. Nat Methods. 2017;14:479-482 pubmed publisherThe actin cytoskeleton is essential for many fundamental biological processes, but tools for directly manipulating actin dynamics are limited to cell-permeable drugs that preclude single-cell perturbations...
- Heer N, Miller P, Chanet S, Stoop N, Dunkel J, Martin A. Actomyosin-based tissue folding requires a multicellular myosin gradient. Development. 2017;144:1876-1886 pubmed publisher..As predicted by the model, experimental broadening of the myosin domain in vivo disrupts tissue curvature where myosin is uniform. Our data argue that apical contractility gradients are important for tissue folding. ..
- Demetriou M, Nabi I, Coppolino M, Dedhar S, Dennis J. Reduced contact-inhibition and substratum adhesion in epithelial cells expressing GlcNAc-transferase V. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:383-92 pubmed..The results suggest that beta 1-6GlcNAc branching of N-linked oligosaccharides contributes directly to relaxed growth controls and reduce substratum adhesion in premalignant epithelial cells. ..
- Krementsova E, Furuta K, Oiwa K, Trybus K, Ali M. Small teams of myosin Vc motors coordinate their stepping for efficient cargo transport on actin bundles. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10998-11008 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a molecular basis to explain how teams of myoVc motors are suited to transport cargos such as zymogen granules on actin bundles. ..
- Sato Y, Murakami Y, Takahashi M. Semi-retentive cytoskeletal fractionation (SERCYF): A novel method for the biochemical analysis of the organization of microtubule and actin cytoskeleton networks. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;488:614-620 pubmed publisher..However, each method is designed to target only one cytoskeletal network, either the microtubule (MT) or actin cytoskeleton, and non-targeted cytoskeletal networks are ignored...
- Urbisz A, Chajec Ł, Braszewska Zalewska A, Kubrakiewicz J, Swiatek P. Ovaries of the white worm (Enchytraeus albidus, Annelida, Clitellata) are composed of 16-celled meroistic germ-line cysts. Dev Biol. 2017;426:28-42 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the nurse cells did not undergo polyploidisation. The measured DNA level was 4C, which indicates that these cells are not highly-specialised. ..
- Yu Kemp H, Kemp J, Brieher W. CRMP-1 enhances EVL-mediated actin elongation to build lamellipodia and the actin cortex. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2463-2479 pubmed publisher..to actin assembly in epithelial cells, where it works with the Ena/VASP family member EVL to assemble the actin cytoskeleton in the apical cortex and in protruding lamellipodia...
- Pitaval A, Senger F, Letort G, Gidrol X, Guyon L, Sillibourne J, et al. Microtubule stabilization drives 3D centrosome migration to initiate primary ciliogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3713-3728 pubmed publisher..densification and bundling, with the transient formation of an array of cold-stable microtubules, and actin cytoskeleton asymmetrical contraction participate in concert to drive apical centrosome migration...
- Killion C, Mitchell E, Duke C, Serra R. Mechanical loading regulates organization of the actin cytoskeleton and column formation in postnatal growth plate. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1862-1870 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, organization of the actin cytoskeleton in growth plate chondrocytes was disrupted...
- Milberg O, Shitara A, Ebrahim S, Masedunskas A, Tora M, Tran D, et al. Concerted actions of distinct nonmuscle myosin II isoforms drive intracellular membrane remodeling in live animals. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1925-1936 pubmed publisher..Our data support a dual role for the actomyosin cytoskeleton in providing the mechanical forces required to remodel the lipid bilayer and serving as a scaffold to recruit key regulatory molecules. ..
- Connacher M, Tay J, Ahn N. Rear-polarized Wnt5a-receptor-actin-myosin-polarity (WRAMP) structures promote the speed and persistence of directional cell migration. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1924-1936 pubmed publisher..We conclude that WRAMP structures represent a rear-directed cellular mechanism to control directional migration and that their ability to form dynamically within cells may control changes in direction during extended migration. ..
- Laguesse S, Morisot N, Shin J, Liu F, Adrover M, Sakhai S, et al. Prosapip1-Dependent Synaptic Adaptations in the Nucleus Accumbens Drive Alcohol Intake, Seeking, and Reward. Neuron. 2017;96:145-159.e8 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Prosapip1 in the NAc is a molecular transducer of structural and synaptic alterations that drive and/or maintain excessive alcohol use. ..
- Zhong C, Chrzanowska Wodnicka M, Brown J, Shaub A, Belkin A, Burridge K. Rho-mediated contractility exposes a cryptic site in fibronectin and induces fibronectin matrix assembly. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:539-51 pubmed..Together, these results provide evidence that self-assembly sites within fibronectin are exposed by tension. ..
- Petrini S, Borghi R, D Oria V, Restaldi F, Moreno S, Novelli A, et al. Aged induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs) as a new cellular model for studying premature aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1453-1469 pubmed publisher..These findings validate the use of aged iPSCs as a suitable cellular model to study senescence and for investigating therapeutic strategies aimed to treat premature aging. ..
- Marchisio P, Cirillo D, Teti A, Zambonin Zallone A, Tarone G. Rous sarcoma virus-transformed fibroblasts and cells of monocytic origin display a peculiar dot-like organization of cytoskeletal proteins involved in microfilament-membrane interactions. Exp Cell Res. 1987;169:202-14 pubmed..We propose that the occurrence of this cytoskeletal organization in RSV-transformed fibroblasts and in monocyte-derived cells may reflect a common ability to migrate across anatomical boundaries. ..
- Ballardini G, Fallani M, Biagini G, Bianchi F, Pisi E. Desmin and actin in the identification of Ito cells and in monitoring their evolution to myofibroblasts in experimental liver fibrosis. Virchows Arch B Cell Pathol Incl Mol Pathol. 1988;56:45-9 pubmed
- Rubinstein B, Mogilner A. Myosin Clusters of Finite Size Develop Contractile Stress in 1D Random Actin Arrays. Biophys J. 2017;113:937-947 pubmed publisher..We discuss the model's implication for mechanics of contractile rings and stress fibers. ..
- Freudenblum J, Iglesias J, Hermann M, Walsen T, Wilfinger A, Meyer D, et al. In vivo imaging of emerging endocrine cells reveals a requirement for PI3K-regulated motility in pancreatic islet morphogenesis. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..These studies identified novel cell behaviors contributing to islet morphogenesis, and suggest a model in which dynamic exploratory filopodia establish cell-cell contacts that subsequently promote cell clustering. ..
- Lehman W. Switching Muscles On and Off in Steps: The McKillop-Geeves Three-State Model of Muscle Regulation. Biophys J. 2017;112:2459-2466 pubmed publisher..BJ Classic highlighting the article "Regulation of the interaction between actin and myosin subfragment 1: evidence for three states of the thin filament." ..
- Crevenna A, Arciniega M, Dupont A, Mizuno N, Kowalska K, Lange O, et al. Side-binding proteins modulate actin filament dynamics. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Tuning elongation kinetics by exploiting the malleability of the filament structure may be a ubiquitous mechanism to generate a rich variety of cellular actin dynamics. ..
- Reimer M, Denby E, Zustiak S, Schober J. Ras GAP-related and C-terminal domain-dependent localization and tumorigenic activities of IQGAP1 in melanoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0189589 pubmed publisher..Among various biological and cellular functions, IQGAP1 is known to play a role in actin cytoskeleton dynamics during membrane ruffling and lamellipodium protrusion...
- Kim J, Kim Y, Kim J, Park D, Bae H, Lee D, et al. YAP/TAZ regulates sprouting angiogenesis and vascular barrier maturation. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3441-3461 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, YAP/TAZ activates actin cytoskeleton remodeling, an important component of filopodia formation and junction assembly...
- Dutta P, Das S, Maiti S. Non diaphanous formin delphilin acts as a barbed end capping protein. Exp Cell Res. 2017;357:163-169 pubmed publisher..In vitro, Delphilin stabilized actin filaments by inhibiting actin filament depolymerisation. Therefore, our study demonstrates Delphilin as an actin-filament capping protein. ..
- Biggs C, Keles S, Chatila T. DOCK8 deficiency: Insights into pathophysiology, clinical features and management. Clin Immunol. 2017;181:75-82 pubmed publisher..in DOCK8, encoding a guanine nucleotide exchange factor highly expressed in lymphocytes that regulates the actin cytoskeleton. Additional roles of DOCK8 have also emerged, including regulating MyD88-dependent Toll-like receptor ..
- Rauschert I, Aldunate F, Preussner J, Arocena Sutz M, Peraza V, Looso M, et al. Promoter hypermethylation as a mechanism for Lamin A/C silencing in a subset of neuroblastoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175953 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these findings may have treatment implications because tumour cells lacking Lamin A/C exhibit more aggressive behaviour. ..
- Greenberg S, El Khoury J, Di Virgilio F, Kaplan E, Silverstein S. Ca(2+)-independent F-actin assembly and disassembly during Fc receptor-mediated phagocytosis in mouse macrophages. J Cell Biol. 1991;113:757-67 pubmed..We conclude that Fc receptor-mediated phagocytosis in mouse macrophages is accompanied by an ordered sequence of assembly and disassembly of F-actin that is insensitive to [Ca2+]i. ..
- Li Z, Jiao Y, Fan E, Scott M, Li Y, Li S, et al. Aging-Impaired Filamentous Actin Polymerization Signaling Reduces Alveolar Macrophage Phagocytosis of Bacteria. J Immunol. 2017;199:3176-3186 pubmed publisher..This study highlights a previously unidentified mechanism by which aging impairs Mϕ phagocytosis of bacteria. Targeting these pathways may improve outcomes of bacterial infection in elderly patients. ..
- Dix C, Matthews H, Uroz M, McLaren S, Wolf L, Heatley N, et al. The Role of Mitotic Cell-Substrate Adhesion Re-modeling in Animal Cell Division. Dev Cell. 2018;45:132-145.e3 pubmed publisher..In this way, regulated re-modeling of cell-substrate adhesions during mitotic rounding aids division in animal cells. ..
- Dalghi M, Ferreira Gomes M, Montalbetti N, Simonin A, Strehler E, Hediger M, et al. Cortical cytoskeleton dynamics regulates plasma membrane calcium ATPase isoform-2 (PMCA2) activity. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1413-1424 pubmed publisher..We found that disrupting the actin cytoskeleton with cytochalasin D significantly increased PMCA-mediated Ca2+ extrusion (~50-100%) whereas pre-..
- Nobezawa D, Ikeda S, Wada E, Nagano T, Miyata H. Directional Transport of a Bead Bound to Lamellipodial Surface Is Driven by Actin Polymerization. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:7804251 pubmed publisherThe force driving the retrograde flow of actin cytoskeleton is important in the cellular activities involving cell movement (e.g., growth cone motility in axon guidance, wound healing, or cancer metastasis)...
- Freedman S, Banerjee S, Hocky G, Dinner A. A Versatile Framework for Simulating the Dynamic Mechanical Structure of Cytoskeletal Networks. Biophys J. 2017;113:448-460 pubmed publisher..The model can thus serve as a platform for interpretation and design of cytoskeletal materials experiments, as well as for further development of simulations incorporating active elements. ..
- Khaitlina S, Tsaplina O, Hinssen H. Cooperative effects of tropomyosin on the dynamics of the actin filament. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1884-1891 pubmed publisherTropomyosin (Tpm) plays an important role in regulating the organisation and functions of the actin cytoskeleton. Here, we describe a new approach to analyse the effects of Tpm on actin dynamics...
- Yao Z, Lei W, Duan R, Li Y, Luo L, Boyce B. RANKL cytokine enhances TNF-induced osteoclastogenesis independently of TNF receptor associated factor (TRAF) 6 by degrading TRAF3 in osteoclast precursors. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10169-10179 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that preventing TRAF3 degradation with drugs like chloroquine could reduce excessive OC formation in diseases in which bone resorption is increased in response to elevated production of these cytokines. ..
- Guo A, Hou Y, Hirata H, Yamauchi S, Yip A, Chiam K, et al. Loss of p53 enhances NF-?B-dependent lamellipodia formation. J Cell Physiol. 2014;229:696-704 pubmed..On the other hand, p53 stimulates actin cytoskeleton remodeling and integrin-related signaling cascades...
- Graessl M, Koch J, Calderon A, Kamps D, Banerjee S, Mazel T, et al. An excitable Rho GTPase signaling network generates dynamic subcellular contraction patterns. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:4271-4285 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study reveals a mechanism that integrates intracellular biochemical and extracellular mechanical signals into subcellular activity patterns to control cellular contractility dynamics. ..
- Goebel H, Anderson J, Hubner C, Oexle K, Warlo I. Congenital myopathy with excess of thin myofilaments. Neuromuscul Disord. 1997;7:160-8 pubmed..Two of our three patients also had intranuclear rods with virtually no sarcoplasmic rods suggesting the term of this congenital myopathy as actin myopathy with intranuclear rods. ..
- Pujol F, Hodgson T, Martínez Corral I, Prats A, Devenport D, Takeichi M, et al. Dachsous1-Fat4 Signaling Controls Endothelial Cell Polarization During Lymphatic Valve Morphogenesis-Brief Report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1732-1735 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that Fat4 and Dachsous1 are critical regulators of valve morphogenesis. This study highlights that valve defects may contribute to lymphedema in Hennekam syndrome caused by Fat4 mutations. ..
- Ren H, Dang X, Cai X, Yu P, Li Y, Zhang S, et al. Spatio-temporal orientation of microtubules controls conical cell shape in Arabidopsis thaliana petals. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006851 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide a novel imaging approach for studying petal conical cell morphogenesis and suggest that the spatio-temporal organization of microtubule arrays plays crucial roles in controlling conical cell shape. ..
- Liu J, Shang D, Xiao Y, Zhong P, Cheng H, Zhou R. Isolation and characterization of string-forming female germline stem cells from ovaries of neonatal mice. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16003-16013 pubmed publisher..The sFGSCs represent a valuable resource for analysis of ovary function and an in vitro model for future clinical use to address ovarian dysfunction. ..
- Bai G, Li Y, Chu H, Wang K, Tan Q, Xiong J, et al. Characterization of biomechanical properties of cells through dielectrophoresis-based cell stretching and actin cytoskeleton modeling. Biomed Eng Online. 2017;16:41 pubmed publisher..cell mechanical properties through dielectrophoresis (DEP)-based cell stretching manipulation and actin cytoskeleton modeling...
- Verma D, Bajpai V, Ye N, Maneshi M, Jetta D, Andreadis S, et al. Flow induced adherens junction remodeling driven by cytoskeletal forces. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:327-336 pubmed publisher..These results delineate the shear stress transduction paths in cultured cells, which helps to understand pathology of a range of diseases that involve dysfunction of E-cadherin. ..
- Holt E, Tønnessen T, Lunde P, Semb S, Wasserstrom J, Sejersted O, et al. Mechanisms of cardiomyocyte dysfunction in heart failure following myocardial infarction in rats. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1998;30:1581-93 pubmed..Moreover, we were able to relate the observed cardiomyocyte dysfunction to changes in specific steps in the excitation-contraction coupling. ..