Genomes and Genes
hematologic pregnancy complications
Summary: The co-occurrence of pregnancy and a blood disease (HEMATOLOGIC DISEASES) which involves BLOOD CELLS or COAGULATION FACTORS. The hematologic disease may precede or follow FERTILIZATION and it may or may not have a deleterious effect on the pregnant woman or FETUS.
- Scholl T. Iron status during pregnancy: setting the stage for mother and infant. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;81:1218S-1222S pubmed..Anemia and IDA are not synonymous, even among low-income minority women in their reproductive years. ..
- Brenner B. Thrombophilia and adverse pregnancy outcome. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2006;33:443-56, ix pubmed..All are major causes of maternal and fetal adverse outcomes. ..
- Scully M, Starke R, Lee R, Mackie I, Machin S, Cohen H. Successful management of pregnancy in women with a history of thrombotic thrombocytopaenic purpura. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2006;17:459-63 pubmed
- Njagi J, Magnussen P, Estambale B, Ouma J, Mugo B. Prevention of anaemia in pregnancy using insecticide-treated bednets and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in a highly malarious area of Kenya: a randomized controlled trial. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2003;97:277-82 pubmed
- Dordević V, Rakicevic L, Spasić M, Mikovic D, Kovac M, Radojkovic D. [Factor V Leiden, FII G20210A, MTHFR C677T mutations as risk factors for venous thrombosis during pregnancy and puerperium]. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2005;62:201-5 pubmed..We found a slight effect of MTHFR 677T allele, but it should be considered in association with other risk factors. ..
- Ajanga A, Lwambo N, Blair L, Nyandindi U, Fenwick A, Brooker S. Schistosoma mansoni in pregnancy and associations with anaemia in northwest Tanzania. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2006;100:59-63 pubmed..3%, and 16.4% of women had malaria parasitaemia. Overall, 66.4% of women were anaemic. Increased risk of anaemia was associated with heavy infection with S. mansoni but not hookworm or Plasmodium falciparum parasitaemia. ..
- Karakantza M, Androutsopoulos G, Mougiou A, Sakellaropoulos G, Kourounis G, Decavalas G. Inheritance and perinatal consequences of inherited thrombophilia in Greece. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008;100:124-9 pubmed..To investigate the impact of inherited thrombophilic factors on the gestational outcome of unselected pregnant women...
- Kalenga M, Nyembo M, Nshimba M, Foidart J. [Anemia prevalence in pregnant and breast-feeding women in Lubumbashi (Democratic Republic of the Congo). Impact of malaria and intestinal helminthiasis]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2003;32:647-53 pubmed..Considering these results, systematic screening and treatment of anemia and associated factors such as malaria and intestinal helminthiasis is needed for the Lubumbashi population. ..
- Sugiura M. Pregnancy and delivery in protein C-deficiency. Curr Drug Targets. 2005;6:577-83 pubmed..However, prior to 10 weeks of gestation, no significant relationship between PC deficiency and pregnancy loss has been established. ..
- Harrison C. Pregnancy and its management in the Philadelphia negative myeloproliferative diseases. Br J Haematol. 2005;129:293-306 pubmed..This data are reviewed and a personal management strategy for pregnancy in MPD proposed. ..
- Kujovich J. Thrombophilia and pregnancy complications. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:412-24 pubmed..Preliminary data suggesting prophylactic anticoagulation may improve gestational outcome provide a rationale for prospective randomized trials in thrombophilic women with unexplained recurrent fetal loss. ..
- Christian P, Khatry S, West K. Antenatal anthelmintic treatment, birthweight, and infant survival in rural Nepal. Lancet. 2004;364:981-3 pubmed..59; 95% CI 0.43-0.82). Antenatal anthelmintics could be effective in reducing maternal anaemia and improving birthweight and infant survival in hookworm-endemic regions. ..
- Lindqvist P, Svensson P, Dahlback B. Activated protein C resistance -- in the absence of factor V Leiden -- and pregnancy. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:361-6 pubmed..11). Women with APC resistance not caused by FVL were not at increased risk for SGA, pre-eclampsia, first trimester fetal loss, or abnormal blood loss. However, they showed an increased prevalence of second trimester fetal loss. ..
- Thomas P, Oni L, Alli M, St Hilaire J, Smith A, Leavey C, et al. Antenatal screening for haemoglobinopathies in primary care: a whole system participatory action research project. Br J Gen Pract. 2005;55:424-8 pubmed..Antenatal screening for haemoglobinopathies in general practice lowers the gestational age at which an at-risk pregnancy can be identified. However, widespread implementation of such screening may be too difficult. ..
- Brenner B. Antithrombotic prophylaxis for women with thrombophilia and pregnancy complications--Yes. J Thromb Haemost. 2003;1:2070-2 pubmed
- Dairo M, Lawoyin T, Onadeko M, Asekun Olarinmoye E, Adeniji A. HIV as an additional risk factors for anaemia in pregnancy: evidence from primary care level in Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria. Afr J Med Med Sci. 2005;34:275-9 pubmed..HIV is an additional risk factor for anaemia in pregnancy. Voluntary counseling and testing of pregnant women for HIV is therefore also indicated at primary care level to detect asymptomatic anaemia in pregnancy that may be due to HIV. ..
- Marchant T, Schellenberg J, Nathan R, Abdulla S, Mukasa O, Mshinda H, et al. Anaemia in pregnancy and infant mortality in Tanzania. Trop Med Int Health. 2004;9:262-6 pubmed..1 [95% confidence interval (CI) 1.1-9.1, P = 0.04] compared with women with Hb above this level after controlling for other factors. Prevention of anaemia in pregnancy may lead to an improvement in infant survival. ..
- Martinelli P, Martinelli V, Agangi A, Maruotti G, Paladini D, Ciancia R, et al. Interferon alfa treatment for pregnant women affected by essential thrombocythemia: case reports and a review. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:2016-20 pubmed..The literature is reviewed. Our cases and published series suggest that fetal outcome is improved by therapy, and that interferon alfa may be the best therapeutic option. ..
- Melamed N, Ben Haroush A, Kaplan B, Yogev Y. Iron supplementation in pregnancy--does the preparation matter?. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2007;276:601-4 pubmed..Ferrous fumarate-containing multivitamin preparations and ferric bisglycinate, although infrequently recommended as the first-line of iron supplementation, may be associated with less side effects and better compliance. ..
- Espinosa G, Cervera R. Thromboprophylaxis and obstetric management of the antiphospholipid syndrome. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009;10:601-14 pubmed
- Zhang Q, Ananth C, Li Z, Smulian J. Maternal anaemia and preterm birth: a prospective cohort study. Int J Epidemiol. 2009;38:1380-9 pubmed publisher..Anaemia in early pregnancy was found to be associated with increased risk for preterm PROM, whereas exposure in late pregnancy was associated with reduced risk for spontaneous preterm labour. ..
- Siriratmanawong N, Chansri W, Singsanan S, Fucharoen G, Fucharoen S. Complex interaction of Hb E [beta26(B8)Glu-->Lys], Hb Korle-Bu [beta73(E17)Asp-->Asn] and a deletional alpha-thalassemia-1 in pregnancy. Hemoglobin. 2009;33:507-14 pubmed publisher..The genotype-phenotype relationship observed in this Thai family with complex hemoglobinopathies and methods for characterization are presented. ..
- Tynngård N, Lindahl T, Ramstrom S, Räf T, Rugarn O, Berlin G. Free oscillation rheometry detects changes in clot properties in pregnancy and thrombocytopenia. Platelets. 2008;19:373-8 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that FOR can provide new information on the haemostatic status of patients at risk of thrombotic or bleeding events as well as information on the haemostatic effect of a platelet transfusion. ..
- Chi C, Kulkarni A, Lee C, Kadir R. The obstetric experience of women with factor XI deficiency. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009;88:1095-100 pubmed publisher..The unpredictable nature of their bleeding tendency demands careful planning and close collaborations between obstetricians and hematologists. ..
- Martinović D, Radic M, Fabijanic D, Fabijanić A. [Antiphospholipid syndrome: from diagnosis to treatment]. Lijec Vjesn. 2007;129:281-5 pubmed..In this paper we offer a concise review of the vast body of published work and appropriateness of anticoagulation or antiplatelat therapy in various clinical subcategories of this syndrome. ..
- Naniche D, Lahuerta M, Bardaji A, Sigauque B, Romagosa C, Berenguera A, et al. Mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1: association with malaria prevention, anaemia and placental malaria. HIV Med. 2008;9:757-64 pubmed publisher..Placental malaria was associated with a decrease in MTCT (AOR 0.23; 95% CI 0.06-0.89; P=0.034). IPTp with SP was not associated with a significant impact on MTCT of HIV. Maternal anaemia was an independent risk factor for MTCT. ..
- Vucić N, Frleta M, Petrović D, Ostojic V. [Thrombophilia, preeclampsia and other pregnancy complications]. Acta Med Croatica. 2009;63:297-305 pubmed..The necessity of anticoagulation therapy in women with inherited or acquired thrombophilia is biologically plausible; nevertheless, optimum management in such cases remains unknown. ..
- Rosenblum J, Cynamon J. Mechanical and enzymatic thrombolysis of acute pulmonary embolus: review of the literature and cases from our institution. Vascular. 2008;16:213-8 pubmed..We discuss our experience with mechanical fragmentation in the treatment of PE and review the literature. ..
- Cata J, Hanna A, Tetzlaff J, Bishai A, Barsoum S. Spinal anesthesia for a cesarean delivery in a woman with type-2M von Willebrand disease: case report and mini-review. Int J Obstet Anesth. 2009;18:276-9 pubmed publisher..The cesarean delivery was performed under spinal anesthesia with hyperbaric bupivacaine, fentanyl and morphine sulfate. Desmopressin was administered immediately after delivery. No perioperative complications were observed. ..
- Vera Gamboa L, Quintal Duarte R, Gonzalez Martinez P, Castillo Gumersindo V. [Prevalence of iron-deficient anemia in rural pregnant women in Valldolid, Yucatan, Mexico]. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2009;77:544-9 pubmed..The creation of nutritional programs since childhood and the incorporation of ferritin in prenatal care is fundamental for the adequate development and security of both mother and child. ..
- Murza B. Neuraxial anesthesia for a parturient with hypogammaglobulinemia: a case report. AANA J. 2010;78:134-6 pubmed..A 30-year-old parturient with hypogammaglobulinemia was admitted for repeated cesarean delivery and a bilateral tubal ligation. The pathophysiology and anesthetic management of the parturient with hypogammaglobulinemia is discussed. ..
- Briand N, Pornprasert S, Ngo Giang Huong N, Galacteros F, Pissard S, Tatu T, et al. Perinatal zidovudine prophylaxis in HIV type-1-infected pregnant women with thalassaemia carriage in Thailand. Antivir Ther. 2009;14:117-22 pubmed..Exposure to zidovudine until delivery did not increase this difference. Zidovudine exposure did not appear to have increased haematological toxicity in HIV-1-infected pregnant women with thalassaemia. ..
- Ghosh K, Shetty S, Vora S, Salvi V. Successful pregnancy outcome in women with bad obstetric history and recurrent fetal loss due to thrombophilia: effect of unfractionated heparin and low-molecular weight heparin. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2008;14:174-9 pubmed..None of the patients in either group had to interrupt the therapy for any adverse treatment-related complications. ..
- Ferrari S, Mudde G, Rieger M, Veyradier A, Kremer Hovinga J, Scheiflinger F. IgG subclass distribution of anti-ADAMTS13 antibodies in patients with acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Thromb Haemost. 2009;7:1703-10 pubmed publisher..Levels of IgG(4) could be useful for the identification of patients at risk of disease recurrence. ..
- Nwonwu E, Ibekwe P, Ugwu J, Obarezi H, Nwagbara O. Prevalence of malaria parasitaemia and malaria related anaemia among pregnant women in Abakaliki, South East Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009;12:182-6 pubmed..Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria should be incorporated into routine drugs for antenatal women. ..
- Baker W, Bick R. The clinical spectrum of antiphospholipid syndrome. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2008;22:33-52, v-vi pubmed publisher..Microangiopathic APS may present with isolated tissue and organ injury or as the overwhelming "thrombotic storm" observed in catastrophic APS. ..
- Wax J, Crabtree C, Blackstone J, Pinette M, Cartin A. Maternal thrombocytopenia-absent radius syndrome complicated by severe pre-eclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009;22:175-7 pubmed publisher..Obstetrical conditions characterised by thrombocytopenia may present diagnostic challenges and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of thrombocytopenic exacerbations in TAR syndrome. ..
- Pacheco L, Costantine M, Saade G, Mucowski S, Hankins G, Sciscione A. von Willebrand disease and pregnancy: a practical approach for the diagnosis and treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:194-200 pubmed publisher..Delayed postpartum hemorrhage may occur, despite adequate prophylaxis. Frequent monitoring and continued prophylaxis and/or treatment are recommended for at least 2 weeks after delivery. ..
- Galdies R, Cassar W, Pizzuto M, Scerri C, Felice N, Cassar O, et al. Hb Valletta [beta87(F3)Thr-->Pro] and Hb Marseille/Long Island [beta2(NA2)His-->Pro; (-1)Met-(+1)Val-(+2)Pro-Leu], in a unique compound heterozygote with a normal hemoglobin phenotype. Hemoglobin. 2010;34:169-74 pubmed publisher..The data serve to alert investigators to the possibility that relatives with apparently normal Hb phenotypes may be transmitting mutant alleles and suggest methods for identification. ..
- Roux C, Amiot C, Agnani G, Aubard Y, Rohrlich P, Piver P. Live birth after ovarian tissue autograft in a patient with sickle cell disease treated by allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:2413.e15-9 pubmed publisher..This case opens up new perspectives in cases of nonmalignant diseases. ..
- Nappi C, Tommaselli G, Morra I, Massaro M, Formisano C, Di Carlo C. Efficacy and tolerability of oral bovine lactoferrin compared to ferrous sulfate in pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia: a prospective controlled randomized study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009;88:1031-5 pubmed publisher..The results show that bovine lactoferrin has the same efficacy as ferrous sulfate in restoring iron deposits with significantly fewer gastrointestinal side effects. ..
- Schindewolf M, Lindhoff Last E. Alternative anticoagulation with danaparoid in two pregnancies in a patient with former heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT), homozygous factor V Leiden mutation, a history of venous thrombosis and recurrent pregnancy losses. Thromb Haemost. 2008;99:776-8 pubmed publisher
- Horlocker T, Wedel D, Rowlingson J, Enneking F, Kopp S, Benzon H, et al. Regional anesthesia in the patient receiving antithrombotic or thrombolytic therapy: American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine Evidence-Based Guidelines (Third Edition). Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2010;35:64-101 pubmed..These are based on case reports, clinical series, pharmacology,hematology, and risk factors for surgical bleeding. An understanding of the complexity of this issue is essential to patient management. ..
- Ivanov P, Komsa Penkova R, Konova E, Kovacheva K, Simeonova M, Popov J. Association of inherited thrombophilia with embryonic and postembryonic recurrent pregnancy loss. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2009;20:134-40 pubmed publisher..Genetic testing should be applied according to the diverse contribution of thrombophilic markers to embryonic and postembryonic period. ..
- Gerhardt A, Scharf R, Zotz R. Successful use of danaparoid in two pregnant women with heart valve prosthesis and heparin-induced thrombocytopenia Type II (HIT). Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2009;15:461-4 pubmed publisher..Both patients delivered healthy boys. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in pregnant women with prosthetic heart valve can be successfully managed with danaparoid. ..
- Hajsmanová Z. [Pregnancy and delivery in type II hereditary antithrombin deficient patients]. Cas Lek Cesk. 2008;147:535-7 pubmed..She has delivered a healthy male newborn by caesarean section. Two weeks after delivery when effective INR value due to peroral anticoagulant therapy was achieved, she was released from the hospital and since that we have not seen her. ..
- Street A, Ljung R, Lavery S. Management of carriers and babies with haemophilia. Haemophilia. 2008;14 Suppl 3:181-7 pubmed publisher..It is always preferable for a carrier to know of her genetic and phenotypic status before becoming pregnant so that she is informed as to her options and requirements for safe delivery. ..
- Provan D, Stasi R, Newland A, Blanchette V, Bolton Maggs P, Bussel J, et al. International consensus report on the investigation and management of primary immune thrombocytopenia. Blood. 2010;115:168-86 pubmed publisher..The inclusion of summary tables within this document, supported by information tables in the online appendices, is intended to aid in clinical decision making. ..
- Camous J, N da A, Etienne Julan M, Stéphan F. Anesthetic management of pregnant women with sickle cell disease--effect on postnatal sickling complications. Can J Anaesth. 2008;55:276-83 pubmed publisher..There were no deaths. Our study suggests that general anesthesia could be associated with postnatal sickling complications, even when the severity of illness was taken into account. ..