Genomes and Genes
Summary: A noninflammatory, usually bilateral protrusion of the cornea, the apex being displaced downward and nasally. It occurs most commonly in females at about puberty. The cause is unknown but hereditary factors may play a role. The -conus refers to the cone shape of the corneal protrusion. (From Dorland, 27th ed)
- Kontadakis G, Kymionis G, Kankariya V, Pallikaris A. Effect of corneal collagen cross-linking on corneal innervation, corneal sensitivity, and tear function of patients with keratoconus. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:917-22 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the effect of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) on corneal innervation, corneal sensitivity, and tear function in patients with keratoconus.
- Chatzis N, Hafezi F. Progression of keratoconus and efficacy of pediatric [corrected] corneal collagen cross-linking in children and adolescents. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:753-8 pubmed publisherTo study the progression rate of keratoconus and assess the clinical outcome of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) with riboflavin and ultraviolet A light in children and adolescent patients up to 3 years after treatment.
- Montalbán R, Alio J, Javaloy J, Pinero D. Intrasubject repeatability in keratoconus-eye measurements obtained with a new Scheimpflug photography-based system. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013;39:211-8 pubmed publisherTo evaluate in keratoconus eyes the intrasubject repeatability of anterior and posterior corneal curvature and of other anterior segment anatomic measurements obtained with a new topography system combining Scheimpflug-photography and ..
- Spadea L. Collagen crosslinking for ectasia following PRK performed in excimer laser-assisted keratoplasty for keratoconus. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22:274-7 pubmed publisher..of corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL) in a patient with corneal ectasia developed after excimer laser-assisted lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus and a secondary photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) for residual refractive error.
- Spadea L, Gizzi R, Evangelista Conocchia N, Urbano S. Optical pachymetry-guided custom excimer laser-assisted lamellar keratoplasty for the surgical treatment of keratoconus. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38:1559-67 pubmed publisher..and functional results of optical pachymetry-guided custom excimer laser-assisted lamellar keratoplasty in keratoconus patients. Eye Clinic, University of L'Aquila, L'Aquila, Italy. Prospective noncomparative case series...
- Arora R, Gupta D, Goyal J, Jain P. Results of corneal collagen cross-linking in pediatric patients. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:759-62 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the safety and efficacy of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) in the treatment of keratoconus in pediatric patients.
- Hallahan K, Sinha Roy A, Ambrosio R, Salomão M, Dupps W. Discriminant value of custom ocular response analyzer waveform derivatives in keratoconus. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:459-68 pubmed publisher..resistance factor, and 16 investigator-derived Ocular Response Analyzer (ORA) variables in distinguishing keratoconus (KC) from the nondiseased state. Retrospective case series...
- Gore D, Shortt A, Allan B. New clinical pathways for keratoconus. Eye (Lond). 2013;27:329-39 pubmed publisherPre-2000, the clinical management of keratoconus centred on rigid contact lens fitting when spectacle corrected acuity was no longer adequate, and transplantation where contact lens wear failed...
- Caporossi A, Mazzotta C, Baiocchi S, Caporossi T, Paradiso A. Transepithelial corneal collagen crosslinking for keratoconus: qualitative investigation by in vivo HRT II confocal analysis. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22 Suppl 7:S81-8 pubmed publisher..This was a qualitative investigation of corneal microstructural modifications in keratoconic patients undergoing experimental transepithelial crosslinking (TE CXL)...
- Messmer E, Meyer P, Herwig M, Loeffler K, Schirra F, Seitz B, et al. Morphological and immunohistochemical changes after corneal cross-linking. Cornea. 2013;32:111-7 pubmed publisher..Six keratoconus corneas after CXL, 12 keratoconus corneas without CXL, and 7 normal corneas were examined by light microscopy, ..
- Guan T, Liu C, Ma Z, Ding S. The point mutation and polymorphism in keratoconus candidate gene TGFBI in Chinese population. Gene. 2012;503:137-9 pubmed publisherTo understand the region point mutations and single nucleotide polymorphisms characteristic of keratoconus candidate gene in Chinese population, the TGFBI...
- Ahmadi Hosseini S, Mohidin N, Abolbashari F, Mohd Ali B, Santhirathelagan C. Corneal thickness and volume in subclinical and clinical keratoconus. Int Ophthalmol. 2013;33:139-45 pubmed publisherTo evaluate corneal thickness and volume in subclinical and clinical keratoconus in Asian population with the aim of discriminating between normal and ectatic cornea...
- Wójcik K, Synowiec E, Jimenez Garcia M, Kaminska A, Polakowski P, Blasiak J, et al. Polymorphism of the transferrin gene in eye diseases: keratoconus and Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:247438 pubmed publisherOxidative stress may play a role in the pathogenesis of keratoconus (KC) and Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy (FECD). Iron may promote the stress by the Fenton reaction, so its homeostasis should be strictly controlled...
- Buzzonetti L, Petrocelli G. Transepithelial corneal cross-linking in pediatric patients: early results. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:763-7 pubmed publisher..To report 18-month follow-up after transepithelial cross-linking (CXL) in young patients...
- Cassidy D, Beltz J, Jhanji V, Loughnan M. Recent advances in corneal transplantation for keratoconus. Clin Exp Optom. 2013;96:165-72 pubmed publisherFrom the rise of modern corneal graft surgery in the late 1950s until recently, corneal transplantation for keratoconus almost exclusively consisted of a full-thickness transplant, termed penetrating keratoplasty...
- Salman A. Transepithelial corneal collagen crosslinking for progressive keratoconus in a pediatric age group. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013;39:1164-70 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the effectiveness and safety of transepithelial corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL) in children with keratoconus and the refractive changes induced by this treatment.
- b>Keratoconus is a bilateral, non-inflammatory corneal ectasia characterized by progressive conical thinning and protrusion of the cornea...
- Vega Estrada A, Alio J, Brenner L, Javaloy J, Plaza Puche A, Barraquer R, et al. Outcome analysis of intracorneal ring segments for the treatment of keratoconus based on visual, refractive, and aberrometric impairment. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;155:575-584.e1 pubmed publisherTo analyze the outcomes of intracorneal ring segment (ICRS) implantation for the treatment of keratoconus based on preoperative visual impairment.
- Iovieno A, Guglielmetti S, Capuano V, Allan B, Maurino V. Correction of postkeratoplasty ametropia in keratoconus patients using a toric implantable Collamer lens. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2013;23:361-7 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the efficacy and safety of a toric implantable Collamer lens (Visian TICL®) for correction of high postkeratoplasty ametropia in patients with keratoconus. ?
- Mencucci R, Paladini I, Virgili G, Giacomelli G, Menchini U. Corneal thickness measurements using time-domain anterior segment OCT, ultrasound, and Scheimpflug tomographer pachymetry before and after corneal cross-linking for keratoconus. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:562-6 pubmed publisherTo compare minimum corneal pachymetry assessment using three measurement methods in eyes before and after corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) for keratoconus.
- Baradaran Rafii A, Eslani M, Sadoughi M, Esfandiari H, Karimian F. Anwar versus Melles deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus: a prospective randomized clinical trial. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:252-9 pubmed publisherTo compare the outcomes of 2 techniques (Anwar vs. Melles) of deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) in patients with keratoconus.
- Abu Amero K, Azad T, Kalantan H, Sultan T, Al Muammar A. Mitochondrial sequence changes in keratoconus patients. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:1706-10 pubmed publisherWe investigated whether a group of patients with keratoconus (KTCN) harbor mutations in the mitochondrial genome.
- MacIntyre R, Chow S, Chan E, Poon A. Long-term outcomes of deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty versus penetrating keratoplasty in Australian keratoconus patients. Cornea. 2014;33:6-9 pubmed publisherThe aim of this study is to compare long-term visual and surgical outcomes after performing deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) and penetrating keratoplasty (PK) for keratoconus.
- Kummelil M, Hemamalini M, Bhagali R, Sargod K, Nagappa S, Shetty R, et al. Toric implantable collamer lens for keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:456-60 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus is a progressive non-inflammatory thinning of the cornea that induces myopia and irregular astigmatism and decreases the quality of vision due to monocular diplopia, halos, or ghost images...
- Shetty R, D Souza S, Srivastava S, Ashwini R. Topography-guided custom ablation treatment for treatment of keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:445-50 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus is a progressive ectatic disorder of the cornea which often presents with fluctuating refraction and high irregular astigmatism...
- Bykhovskaya Y, Li X, Epifantseva I, Haritunians T, Siscovick D, ALDAVE A, et al. Variation in the lysyl oxidase (LOX) gene is associated with keratoconus in family-based and case-control studies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4152-7 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus is a bilateral noninflammatory progressive corneal disorder with complex genetic inheritance and a common cause for cornea transplantation in young adults...
- Ghosh A, Zhou L, Ghosh A, Shetty R, Beuerman R. Proteomic and gene expression patterns of keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:389-91 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus is a progressive corneal thinning disease associated with significant tissue remodeling activities and activation of a variety of signaling networks...
- Viswanathan D, Males J. Prospective longitudinal study of corneal collagen cross-linking in progressive keratoconus. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;41:531-6 pubmed publisherCollagen cross-linking has been reported to be effective in treating progressive keratoconus, and this study aims to evaluate the long-term efficacy of this procedure.
- Hashemian S, Soleimani M, Foroutan A, Joshaghani M, Ghaempanah J, Jafari M. Toric implantable collamer lens for high myopic astigmatism in keratoconic patients after six months. Clin Exp Optom. 2013;96:225-32 pubmed publisherThe aim was to evaluate the safety, efficacy, stability and predictability of posterior chamber collagen copolymer phakic intraocular lens (pIOL) implantation to correct myopia and myopic astigmatism associated with keratoconus.
- Hashemi H, Seyedian M, Miraftab M, Fotouhi A, Asgari S. Corneal collagen cross-linking with riboflavin and ultraviolet a irradiation for keratoconus: long-term results. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:1515-20 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the long-term results of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) in patients with progressive keratoconus.
- Coskunseven E, Jankov M, Grentzelos M, Plaka A, Limnopoulou A, Kymionis G. Topography-guided transepithelial PRK after intracorneal ring segments implantation and corneal collagen CXL in a three-step procedure for keratoconus. J Refract Surg. 2013;29:54-8 pubmed publisherTo present the results of topography-guided transepithelial photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) after intracorneal ring segments implantation followed by corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) for keratoconus.
- Kolozsvári B, Petrovski G, Gogolak P, Rajnavolgyi E, Tóth F, Berta A, et al. Association between mediators in the tear fluid and the severity of keratoconus. Ophthalmic Res. 2014;51:46-51 pubmed publisherTo study the association between different types of mediators in the tear fluid and topographic indices characterizing the severity of keratoconus (KC).
- Smadja D, Touboul D, Cohen A, Doveh E, Santhiago M, Mello G, et al. Detection of subclinical keratoconus using an automated decision tree classification. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:237-246.e1 pubmed publisherTo develop a method for automatizing the detection of subclinical keratoconus based on a tree classification.
- Busin M, Scorcia V, Zambianchi L, Ponzin D. Outcomes from a modified microkeratome-assisted lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130:776-82 pubmed publisherTo improve visual and refractive outcomes, microkeratome-assisted lamellar keratoplasty for the treatment of keratoconus (exchange of a 9.0-mm anterior recipient lamella with a 9...
- Ventura B, Machado A, Ambrosio R, Ribeiro G, Araújo L, Luz A, et al. Analysis of waveform-derived ORA parameters in early forms of keratoconus and normal corneas. J Refract Surg. 2013;29:637-43 pubmed publisher..Analyzer (ORA; Reichert Ophthalmic Instruments, Depew, NY) performance in differentiating grades I and II keratoconus from normal corneas using 41 parameters individually and to assess the effect of analyzing all parameters ..
- Dudakova L, Liskova P, Trojek T, Palos M, Kalasova S, Jirsova K. Changes in lysyl oxidase (LOX) distribution and its decreased activity in keratoconus corneas. Exp Eye Res. 2012;104:74-81 pubmed publisherInadequate cross-linking between collagen lamellae is a characteristic feature of keratoconus corneas...
- Haddad W, Fadlallah A, Dirani A, El Rami H, Fahd D, Khanafer D, et al. Comparison of 2 types of intrastromal corneal ring segments for keratoconus. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38:1214-21 pubmed publisherTo assess the effectiveness and safety of 2 types of 6.0 mm intrastromal corneal ring segments (ICRS) in patients with mild to severe keratoconus.
- Léoni Mesplié S, Mortemousque B, Mesplié N, Touboul D, Praud D, Malet F, et al. [Epidemiological aspects of keratoconus in children]. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2012;35:776-85 pubmed publisherTo study the epidemiological aspects of keratoconus in children.
- Kymionis G, Grentzelos M, Kounis G, Diakonis V, Limnopoulou A, Panagopoulou S. Combined transepithelial phototherapeutic keratectomy and corneal collagen cross-linking for progressive keratoconus. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1777-84 pubmed publisherTo compare the outcomes of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) for the treatment of progressive keratoconus using 2 different techniques for epithelial removal: transepithelial phototherapeutic keratectomy (t-PTK) versus mechanical ..
- Labiris G, Gatzioufas Z, Sideroudi H, Giarmoukakis A, Kozobolis V, Seitz B. Biomechanical diagnosis of keratoconus: evaluation of the keratoconus match index and the keratoconus match probability. Acta Ophthalmol. 2013;91:e258-62 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the diagnostic capacity of the Ocular Response Analyser's keratoconus match index (KMI) and keratoconus match probability (KMP) classification in a sample of keratoconus (KC) patients.
- Henriquez M, Izquierdo L, Mannis M. Intereye asymmetry detected by Scheimpflug imaging in subjects with normal corneas and keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:779-82 pubmed publisherTo report the intereye asymmetry with regard to pachymetry and corneal elevation variables in subjects with normal corneas and in those with keratoconus.
- Kara N, Altinkaynak H, Baz O, Goker Y. Biomechanical evaluation of cornea in topographically normal relatives of patients with keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:262-6 pubmed publisherTo compare the biomechanical properties of the cornea between topographically normal relatives of patients with keratoconus and age-matched controls.
- Jordan C, Patel D, Abeysekera N, McGhee C. In vivo confocal microscopy analyses of corneal microstructural changes in a prospective study of collagen cross-linking in keratoconus. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:469-74 pubmed publisherTo use in vivo confocal microscopy (IVCM) to quantitatively analyze microstructural changes over time, after corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus.
- Navas A, Tapia Herrera G, Jaimes M, Graue Hernandez E, Gomez Bastar A, Ramirez Luquin T, et al. Implantable collamer lenses after intracorneal ring segments for keratoconus. Int Ophthalmol. 2012;32:423-9 pubmedTo report the clinical characteristics and visual outcomes of patients with keratoconus treated with posterior chamber phakic intraocular lenses after implantation of intracorneal ring segments (ICRS)...
- Abou Shousha M, Perez V, Fraga Santini Canto A, Vaddavalli P, Sayyad F, Cabot F, et al. The use of Bowman's layer vertical topographic thickness map in the diagnosis of keratoconus. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:988-93 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the use of Bowman's layer (BL) vertical topographic thickness maps in diagnosing keratoconus (KC).
- Nowak D, Karolak J, Kubiak J, Gut M, Pitarque J, Molinari A, et al. Substitution at IL1RN and deletion at SLC4A11 segregating with phenotype in familial keratoconus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:2207-15 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus (KTCN) is a thinning and anterior protrusion of the cornea that results in altered refractive powers and loss of visual acuity. Despite numerous studies, the reasons for development and progression of KTCN remain unknown...
- You J, Hodge C, Wen L, McAvoy J, Madigan M, Sutton G. Tear levels of SFRP1 are significantly reduced in keratoconus patients. Mol Vis. 2013;19:509-xxx pubmedTo measure secreted frizzled-related protein 1 (SFRP1) levels in human tears and to investigate tear SFRP1 as a potential biomarker for keratoconus (KC).
- Bagga B, Pahuja S, Murthy S, Sangwan V. Endothelial failure after collagen cross-linking with riboflavin and UV-A: case report with literature review. Cornea. 2012;31:1197-200 pubmed publisherTo report a case of endothelial decompensation after a collagen cross-linking (CXL) procedure for keratoconus.
- Hoogewoud F, Gatzioufas Z, Hafezi F. Transitory topographical variations in keratoconus during pregnancy. J Refract Surg. 2013;29:144-6 pubmed publisherTo highlight two cases of keratoconus with significant variations of corneal curvature during pregnancy that reversed several months after delivery.
- Magli A, Forte R, Tortori A, Capasso L, Marsico G, Piozzi E. Epithelium-off corneal collagen cross-linking versus transepithelial cross-linking for pediatric keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:597-601 pubmed publisherTo compare efficiency and safety of epithelium-off corneal cross-linking (CXL) and transepithelial cross-linking (TE-CXL) in pediatric patients with progressive keratoconus.
- Lu Y, Vitart V, Burdon K, Khor C, Bykhovskaya Y, Mirshahi A, et al. Genome-wide association analyses identify multiple loci associated with central corneal thickness and keratoconus. Nat Genet. 2013;45:155-63 pubmed publisherCentral corneal thickness (CCT) is associated with eye conditions including keratoconus and glaucoma...
- Kurian M, Nagappa S, Bhagali R, Shetty R, Shetty B. Visual quality after posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens implantation in keratoconus. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38:1050-7 pubmed publisherTo quantify image-quality characteristics after correction of refractive error with a posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens (PC pIOL) in eyes with stable or stabilized keratoconus.
- Montalbán R, Alio J, Javaloy J, Pinero D. Comparative analysis of the relationship between anterior and posterior corneal shape analyzed by Scheimpflug photography in normal and keratoconus eyes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;251:1547-55 pubmed publisher..between anterior and posterior corneal shape evaluated by a tomographic system combining the Scheimpflug photography and Placido-disc in keratoconus and normal healthy eyes, as well as to evaluate its potential diagnostic value.
- Li Y, Tan O, Brass R, Weiss J, Huang D. Corneal epithelial thickness mapping by Fourier-domain optical coherence tomography in normal and keratoconic eyes. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:2425-33 pubmed publisherTo map the corneal epithelial thickness with Fourier-domain optical coherence tomography (OCT) and to develop epithelial thickness-based variables for keratoconus detection.
- Shivanna Y, Nagaraja H, Kugar T, Shetty R. Femtosecond laser enabled keratoplasty for advanced keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:469-72 pubmed publisherTo assess the efficacy and advantages of femtosecond laser enabled keratoplasty (FLEK) over conventional penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) in advanced keratoconus.
- Cho K, Mok J, Choi M, Kim J, Joo C. Changes in corneal sensation and ocular surface in patients with asymmetrical keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:205-10 pubmed publisherTo describe tear function, ocular surface changes, and corneal sensitivity in patients with asymmetrical keratoconus (KC).
- Jeyabalan N, Shetty R, Ghosh A, Anandula V, Ghosh A, Kumaramanickavel G. Genetic and genomic perspective to understand the molecular pathogenesis of keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:384-8 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus (KC; Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) 14830) is a bilateral, progressive corneal defect affecting all ethnic groups around the world. It is the leading cause of corneal transplantation...
- Tuft S, Hassan H, George S, Frazer D, Willoughby C, Liskova P. Keratoconus in 18 pairs of twins. Acta Ophthalmol. 2012;90:e482-6 pubmed publisherTo describe the concordance of keratoconus in 18 sets of twins.
- Sinha Roy A, Shetty R, Kummelil M. Keratoconus: a biomechanical perspective on loss of corneal stiffness. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:392-3 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus (KC) is progressive disease of corneal thinning, steepening and collagen degradation. Biomechanics of the cornea is maintained by the intricate collagen network, which is responsible for its unique shape and function...
- Fodor M, Kolozsvári B, Petrovski G, Kettesy B, Gogolak P, Rajnavolgyi E, et al. Effect of contact lens wear on the release of tear mediators in keratoconus. Eye Contact Lens. 2013;39:147-52 pubmed publisherThe release of different cytokines and mediators in tears of patients with keratoconus (KC) wearing contact lenses (CLs) may contribute to the pathology of KC.
- Wasilewski D, Mello G, Moreira H. Impact of collagen crosslinking on corneal sensitivity in keratoconus patients. Cornea. 2013;32:899-902 pubmed publisherTo evaluate changes in corneal sensitivity after corneal collagen crosslinking in patients having progressive keratoconus.
- Bae G, Kim J, Kim C, Lim D, Chung E, Chung T. Corneal topographic and tomographic analysis of fellow eyes in unilateral keratoconus patients using Pentacam. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157:103-109.e1 pubmed publisherTo evaluate topographic and tomographic changes in fellow eyes in unilateral keratoconus (KCN) patients by comparing them with normal eyes.
- Suri K, Hammersmith K, Nagra P. Corneal collagen cross-linking: ectasia and beyond. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2012;23:280-7 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the literature published in the past 3 years about the expanding spectrum of cross-linking as a therapeutic modality and its complications...
- Kránitz K, Kovacs I, Mihaltz K, Sándor G, Knorz M, Nemeth J, et al. Corneal changes in progressive keratoconus after cross-linking assessed by Scheimpflug camera. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:645-9 pubmed publisherTo evaluate corneal changes after corneal cross-linking (CXL) in progressive keratoconus with Scheimpflug imaging.
- Yam J, Chan C, Cheng A. Corneal collagen cross-linking demarcation line depth assessed by Visante OCT After CXL for keratoconus and corneal ectasia. J Refract Surg. 2012;28:475-81 pubmed publisherTo report the demarcation line depth after corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) for keratoconus and postoperative LASIK ectasia with Visante (Carl Zeiss Meditec) optical coherence tomography (OCT) and investigate correlations between ..
- Coskunseven E, Sharma D, Jankov M, Kymionis G, Richoz O, Hafezi F. Collagen copolymer toric phakic intraocular lens for residual myopic astigmatism after intrastromal corneal ring segment implantation and corneal collagen crosslinking in a 3-stage procedure for keratoconus. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013;39:722-9 pubmed publisherTo evaluate staged combined treatment for keratoconus with intrastromal corneal ring segment (ICRS) implantation followed by corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL) with riboflavin-ultraviolet-A (UVA) and then toric implantable collagen ..
- Vinciguerra P, Albe E, Frueh B, Trazza S, Epstein D. Two-year corneal cross-linking results in patients younger than 18 years with documented progressive keratoconus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;154:520-6 pubmed publisherTo report refractive, topographic, aberrometric, and tomographic outcomes 24 months after corneal cross-linking (CXL) in patients up to 18 years of age with progressive keratoconus.
- Sabesan R, Johns L, Tomashevskaya O, Jacobs D, Rosenthal P, Yoon G. Wavefront-guided scleral lens prosthetic device for keratoconus. Optom Vis Sci. 2013;90:314-23 pubmed publisherTo investigate the feasibility of correcting ocular higher order aberrations (HOAs) in keratoconus (KC) using wavefront-guided optics in a scleral lens prosthetic device (SLPD).
- Verma A, Das M, Srinivasan M, Prajna N, Sundaresan P. Investigation of VSX1 sequence variants in South Indian patients with sporadic cases of keratoconus. BMC Res Notes. 2013;6:103 pubmed publisherThe involvement of VSX1 gene for the genetic basis of keratoconus is unclear and controversial. The genetic screening of VSX1 from different ethnic populations can enlighten this subject...
- Chan E, Snibson G. Current status of corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus: a review. Clin Exp Optom. 2013;96:155-64 pubmed publisher..corneal collagen cross-linking has become commonplace as a treatment option for individuals with progressive keratoconus. This is based on laboratory data suggesting that cross-linking using riboflavin and ultraviolet-A irradiation ..
- Oh B, Kim M, Wee W. Comparison of clinical outcomes of same-size grafting between deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty and penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2013;27:322-30 pubmed publisherTo compare the clinical outcomes between deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) and penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) with same-size grafts in patients with keratoconus.
- Mahmoud A, Núñez M, Blanco C, Koch D, Wang L, Weikert M, et al. Expanding the cone location and magnitude index to include corneal thickness and posterior surface information for the detection of keratoconus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:1102-11 pubmed publisher..of topographic information from the anterior and posterior corneal surfaces and corneal thickness measurements to further improve our ability to correctly identify keratoconus using this new index: ConeLocationMagnitudeIndex_X.
- Yeung S, Lichtinger A, Ku J, Kim P, Low S, Rootman D. Intracorneal ring segment explantation after intracorneal ring segment implantation combined with same-day corneal collagen crosslinking in keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:1617-20 pubmed publisherTo report the outcome and the reversibility of refractive outcomes after intrastromal corneal ring segment (ICRS) explantation in patients with keratoconus treated with ICRS implantation and same-day collagen crosslinking (CXL).
- Demir S, Ortak H, Yeter V, Alim S, Sayn O, Tas U, et al. Mapping corneal thickness using dual-scheimpflug imaging at different stages of keratoconus. Cornea. 2013;32:1470-4 pubmed publisherTo map the thickness of the entire cornea using dual-Scheimpflug imaging and to evaluate the changes in the corneal thickness over the entire cornea at different stages of keratoconus.
- Ganesh S, Shetty R, D Souza S, Ramachandran S, Kurian M. Intrastromal corneal ring segments for management of keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:451-5 pubmed publisherb>Keratoconus is a progressive corneal ectasia, which can be managed both by conservative measures like glasses or contact lenses in non-progressive cases or surgical procedures like collagen crosslinking (CXL) with or without adjuvant ..