Summary: Damage or trauma inflicted to the CORNEA by external means.
- Bhogal M, Lwin C, Seah X, Peh G, Mehta J. Allogeneic Descemet's Membrane Transplantation Enhances Corneal Endothelial Monolayer Formation and Restores Functional Integrity Following Descemet's Stripping. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4249-4260 pubmed publisher..7%, (P < 0.01). The presence of DM promoted endothelial wound healing, proliferation, and maintenance of a normal phenotype. DM transplantation recovered the abnormal peel phenotype back to that observed after endothelial scraping. ..
- Asahara T, Takahashi T, Masuda H, Kalka C, Chen D, Iwaguro H, et al. VEGF contributes to postnatal neovascularization by mobilizing bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells. EMBO J. 1999;18:3964-72 pubmed..These findings thus establish a novel role for VEGF in postnatal neovascularization which complements its known impact on angiogenesis. ..
- Marino G, Santhiago M, Santhanam A, Lassance L, Thangavadivel S, Medeiros C, et al. Epithelial basement membrane injury and regeneration modulates corneal fibrosis after pseudomonas corneal ulcers in rabbits. Exp Eye Res. 2017;161:101-105 pubmed publisher..The endothelium and Descemet's membrane may serve a similar function modulating TGF? penetration into the posterior stroma-with the source of TGF? likely being the aqueous humor. ..
- Shah D, Ali M, Shukla D, Jain S, Aakalu V. Effects of histatin-1 peptide on human corneal epithelial cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178030 pubmed publisher..Histatin -1 peptide may enhance migration of HCLE cells and wound healing in vitro. These peptides may have benefit in corneal epithelial wounds and need to be investigated further. ..
- He J, Pham T, Kakazu A, Bazan H. Recovery of Corneal Sensitivity and Increase in Nerve Density and Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice After PEDF Plus DHA Treatment. Diabetes. 2017;66:2511-2520 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that topical treatment with PEDF+DHA promotes corneal nerve regeneration and wound healing in diabetic mice and could potentially be exploited as a therapeutic option for the treatment of diabetic keratopathy. ..
- Swamynathan S, Loughner C, Swamynathan S. Inhibition of HUVEC tube formation via suppression of NFκB suggests an anti-angiogenic role for SLURP1 in the transparent cornea. Exp Eye Res. 2017;164:118-128 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that SLURP1 suppresses HUVEC tube formation by blocking nuclear translocation of NFκB, and suggest a potential role for SLURP1 in promoting corneal angiogenic privilege. ..
- Pal Ghosh S, Tadvalkar G, Stepp M. Alterations in Corneal Sensory Nerves During Homeostasis, Aging, and After Injury in Mice Lacking the Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan Syndecan-1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4959-4975 pubmed publisher..These data provide insight into the mechanisms used by sensory nerves to reinnervate after injury. ..
- Zhang Z, Zhou M, Liu K, Zhu B, Liu H, Sun X, et al. Development of a new valid and reliable microsurgical skill assessment scale for ophthalmology residents. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:68 pubmed publisher..Hopefully, this tool will provide a structured template for other residency programs to assess their residents for basic microsurgical skills. ..
- Kim J, Lim C, Kim B. Effects of nicotine on corneal wound healing following acute alkali burn. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179982 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, chronic administration of nicotine accelerated the angiogenic and fibrogenic healing processes in alkali-burned corneal tissue. ..
- Kanie S, Fujieda M, Hitotsumachi T, Suzuki S, Morita F, Hakoi K, et al. Alleviating effects of artificial tear instillation on S-1-induced ocular toxicity in dogs. J Toxicol Sci. 2017;42:291-300 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrated that artificial tear instillation can alleviate corneal surface damage induced by S-1 in dogs. ..
- Liu J, Xiao C, Wang H, Xue Y, Dong D, Lin C, et al. Local Group 2 Innate Lymphoid Cells Promote Corneal Regeneration after Epithelial Abrasion. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:1313-1326 pubmed publisherb>Corneal injuries and infections are the leading cause of blindness worldwide. Thus, understanding the mechanisms that control healing of the damaged cornea is critical for the development of new therapies to promptly restore vision...