Summary: A division of predominantly marine EUKARYOTA, commonly known as brown algae, having CHROMATOPHORES containing carotenoid PIGMENTS, BIOLOGICAL. ALGINATES and phlorotannins occur widely in all major orders. They are considered the most highly evolved algae because of their well-developed multicellular organization and structural complexity.
- Rui X, Pan H, Shao S, Xu X. Anti-tumor and anti-angiogenic effects of Fucoidan on prostate cancer: possible JAK-STAT3 pathway. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:378 pubmed publisher..All these findings provided novel complementary and alternative strategies to treat prostate cancer. ..
- Lee J, Kang J, Choe H, Seong C. Flavivirga eckloniae sp. nov. and Flavivirga aquimarina sp. nov., isolated from seaweed Ecklonia cava. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3089-3094 pubmed publisher..nov. (type strain, ECD14T=KCTC 52352T=JCM 31797T) and Flavivirga aquimarina sp. nov. (type strain, EC2D5T=KCTC 52353T=JCM 31796T) are proposed. ..
- Hoshino T, Hayashi T, Hayashi K, Hamada J, Lee J, Sankawa U. An antivirally active sulfated polysaccharide from Sargassum horneri (TURNER) C. AGARDH. Biol Pharm Bull. 1998;21:730-4 pubmed..Time-of-addition experiments suggested that it inhibited not only the initial stages of viral infection, such as attachment to and penetration into host cells, but also later replication stages after virus penetration. ..
- Nogueira P, Gambi M, Vizzini S, Califano G, Tavares A, Santos R, et al. Altered epiphyte community and sea urchin diet in Posidonia oceanica meadows in the vicinity of volcanic CO2 vents. Mar Environ Res. 2017;127:102-111 pubmed publisher..e. ? 0.32 units of pH by 2100), is still necessary to better understand cascading effects of this altered urchin exploitation of food resources under acidified conditions on ecosystem diversity and function. ..
- Desideri D, Meli M, Roselli C, Feduzi L, Ugolini L. 210Polonium bioaccessibility assessment in algae for human consumption: An in vitro gastrointestinal digestion method. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2017;80:230-235 pubmed publisher..The difference between Po gastric mobility with respect to that found for GIT digestion was not significant; in fact, Po mobility exhibited a mean value 17.2 Â± 15.1% and 19.5 Â± 11.5% for gastric and GIT digestion, respectively. ..
- Hermund D, Plaza M, Turner C, Jonsdottir R, Kristinsson H, Jacobsen C, et al. Structure dependent antioxidant capacity of phlorotannins from Icelandic Fucus vesiculosus by UHPLC-DAD-ECD-QTOFMS. Food Chem. 2018;240:904-909 pubmed publisher..On-line determination of antioxidant capacity of the individual phlorotannins generally showed that low molecular phlorotannins exhibited higher antioxidant capacity and that the capacity decreased with polymerisation. ..
- Bogaert K, Beeckman T, De Clerck O. Egg activation-triggered shape change in the Dictyota dichotoma (Phaeophyceae) zygote is actin-myosin and secretion dependent. Ann Bot. 2017;120:529-538 pubmed publisher..dichotoma and the oogamous brown algal model system Fucus . ..