Summary: A large plant family in the order Apiales, also known as Umbelliferae. Most are aromatic herbs with alternate, feather-divided leaves that are sheathed at the base. The flowers often form a conspicuous flat-topped umbel. Each small individual flower is usually bisexual, with five sepals, five petals, and an enlarged disk at the base of the style. The fruits are ridged and are composed of two parts that split open at maturity.
- Yan Q, Zhang S, Wang Y, Xiao W, Rao G. [Studies on chemical constituents of Peucedanum delavayi]. Zhong Yao Cai. 2008;31:1157-9 pubmed..All these compounds are isolated from Peucedanum delavayi for the first time. ..
- Lee I, Lee J, Hwang E, Yun B. New Guaiane Sesquiterpenes from the Fruits of Torilis japonica. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2008;56:1483-5 pubmed..These compounds inhibited lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced nitric oxide production in murine macrophages RAW 264.7 cells. ..
- Xiong Y, Wu F, Wang J, Li J, Kong L. Attenuation of airway hyperreactivity and T helper cell type 2 responses by coumarins from Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn in a murine model of allergic airway inflammation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;141:314-21 pubmed publisher..CPPD can significantly suppress OVA-induced airway inflammation, airway hyperreactivity and Th2 predominant response in mice, showing great therapeutic potential for the treatment of allergic asthma. ..
- Lin H, Yan Y, Zhao T, Peng L, Zou H, Li J, et al. Rapid discrimination of Apiaceae plants by electronic nose coupled with multivariate statistical analyses. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2013;84:1-4 pubmed publisherSince many Apiaceae plants, with antimicrobial activities, have similar characteristics, it is difficult to separate them from one another...
- Chang H, Okada Y, Ma T, Okuyama T, Tu P. Two new coumarin glycosides from Peucedanum praeruptorum. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2008;10:577-81 pubmed publisher..Two new coumarin glycosides, praerosides VI (1) and VII (2), were isolated from the roots of Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn. Their structures were elucidated by chemical reaction and NMR spectroscopic methods. ..
- Fraternale D, Ricci D, Calcabrini C, Guescini M, Martinelli C, Sestili P. Cytotoxic activity of essential oils of aerial parts and ripe fruits of Echinophora spinosa (Apiaceae). Nat Prod Commun. 2013;8:1645-9 pubmed..b>Apiaceae) from central Italy toward human U937 promonocytoid cells were studied; the contribution of each of the major ..
- Rosselli S, Maggio A, Faraone N, Spadaro V, Morris Natschke S, Bastow K, et al. The cytotoxic properties of natural coumarins isolated from roots of Ferulago campestris (Apiaceae) and of synthetic ester derivatives of aegelinol. Nat Prod Commun. 2009;4:1701-6 pubmed..Some of them were shown to be marginally cytotoxic against the A549 lung cancer cell line. ..
- Liu X, Jiang S, Xu K, Sun H, Zhou Y, Xu X, et al. Quantitative analysis of chemical constituents in different commercial parts of Notopterygium incisum by HPLC-DAD-MS. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;126:474-9 pubmed publisher..This result implied that the fibrous root may also have value, and we should study it to explore its potential. ..
- Bhasi A, Senalik D, Simon P, Kumar B, Manikandan V, Philip P, et al. RoBuST: an integrated genomics resource for the root and bulb crop families Apiaceae and Alliaceae. BMC Plant Biol. 2010;10:161 pubmed publisherRoot and bulb vegetables (RBV) include carrots, celeriac (root celery), parsnips (Apiaceae), onions, garlic, and leek (Alliaceae)--food crops grown globally and consumed worldwide...
- Song Y, Jing W, Zhao H, Yan R, Li P, Wang Y. Stereoselective metabolism of (±)-praeruptorin A, a calcium channel blocker from Peucedani Radix, in pooled liver microsomes of rats and humans. Xenobiotica. 2012;42:231-7 pubmed publisher..Both enantiomers were eliminated faster in RLMs than in HLMs, while lPA showed greater species difference. PA enantiomers exhibited stereoselective metabolism in RLMs and HLMs, implying chiral discrimination in their actions. ..
- Quassinti L, Bramucci M, Lupidi G, Barboni L, Ricciutelli M, Sagratini G, et al. In vitro biological activity of essential oils and isolated furanosesquiterpenes from the neglected vegetable Smyrnium olusatrum L. (Apiaceae). Food Chem. 2013;138:808-13 pubmed publisher..51, 13.35, and 14.81 ?g/ml, respectively. Isofuranodiene and 1?-acetoxyfuranoeudesm-4(15)-ene resulted the most active constituents. The essential oils possessed also radical scavenging activity. ..
- Song Y, Zhang Q, Li Y, Yan R, Wang Y. Enantioseparation and absolute configuration determination of angular-type pyranocoumarins from peucedani radix using enzymatic hydrolysis and chiral HPLC-MS/MS analysis. Molecules. 2012;17:4236-51 pubmed publisher..This method was proven to be rapid and sensitive and also has advantages in discriminating single enantiomers and mixtures of optical isomers with different ratios. ..
- Zhou J, Gong X, Downie S, Peng H. Towards a more robust molecular phylogeny of Chinese Apiaceae subfamily Apioideae: additional evidence from nrDNA ITS and cpDNA intron (rpl16 and rps16) sequences. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009;53:56-68 pubmed publisherChina contains some of the world's greatest diversity of Apiaceae (Umbelliferae), with ten endemic genera...
- Song Y, Yan R, Jing W, Zhao H, Wang Y. Characterization of metabolism of (+)-praeruptorin B and (+)-praeruptorin E in human and rat liver microsomes by liquid chromatography coupled with ion trap mass spectrometry and time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2011;25:719-30 pubmed publisher
- Cheng M, Lin L, Yu T, Peng R. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of mountain celery (Cryptotaenia japonica Hassk) seed essential oils. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:3997-4003 pubmed publisher..Conclusively, the MC-E can be fractionated by such a separation technology to produce products uniquely possessing hypolipidemic and HDL-C-elevating activities. ..
- Yu P, Jin H, Zhang J, Wang G, Li J, Zhu Z, et al. Pyranocoumarins isolated from Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn suppress lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response in murine macrophages through inhibition of NF-?B and STAT3 activation. Inflammation. 2012;35:967-77 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggest that pyranocoumarins may exert anti-inflammatory effects in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages through the inhibition of NF-?B and STAT3 activation. ..
- Nukitrangsan N, Okabe T, Toda T, Inafuku M, Iwasaki H, Oku H. Effect of Peucedanum japonicum Thunb extract on high-fat diet-induced obesity and gene expression in mice. J Oleo Sci. 2012;61:89-101 pubmed..These results suggest that the anti-obesity phytochemicals in PJT lower lipid levels by inhibiting fat absorption and by modulating obesity-related gene expression in the liver, adipose tissue, and muscle. ..
- Beck J, Chou S. The structural diversity of phthalides from the Apiaceae. J Nat Prod. 2007;70:891-900 pubmed..and their corresponding dihydro and tetrahydro analogues, are components of several genera of the plant family Apiaceae. These taxa have been reported as exhibiting a wide range of bioactivities against experimental models of several ..
- Vogl S, Zehl M, Picker P, Urban E, Wawrosch C, Reznicek G, et al. Identification and quantification of coumarins in Peucedanum ostruthium (L.) Koch by HPLC-DAD and HPLC-DAD-MS. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59:4371-7 pubmed publisher..The content of the main coumarins was quantitated in various batches of commercial and field-collected rhizomes of Peucedanum ostruthium, as well as in beverages prepared thereof. ..
- Baranski R, Baranska M, Schulz H, Simon P, Nothnagel T. Single seed Raman measurements allow taxonomical discrimination of Apiaceae accessions collected in gene banks. Biopolymers. 2006;81:497-505 pubmed..a nondestructive analysis of single seeds (fruit mericarps) of 36 accessions belonging to various species of the Apiaceae family...
- Zhang J, Fong W, Wu J, Yang M, Cheung H. Pyranocoumarins isolated from Peucedanum praeruptorum as differentiation inducers in human leukemic HL-60 cells. Planta Med. 2003;69:223-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that APC are potent inducers of HL-60 cell differentiation along both the myelocytic and monocytic lineages and are potential agents for differentiation-treatment of leukemia. ..
- Zhang C, Li W, Xiao Y. [Comparative studies on pharmacological effects of the main chemical constituents of Peucedanum praeruptorum from He'nan and Jiangxi]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005;30:1356-8 pubmed..The pharmacological effects of the main coumarin constituents of Qian-hu from Jiangxi and He'nan are similar. ..
- Kong L, Zhi F. Coumarins from Peucedanum wulongense. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2003;5:183-7 pubmed..The structure of wulongensin A was established as 3'(R)-angeloyloxy-4'(R)-isovaleryloxy-3',4'-dihydroseselin by spectroscopic methods and the absolute configurations were deduced by chemical correlations with known compounds. ..
- Lu M, Nicoletti M, Battinelli L, Mazzanti G. Isolation of praeruptorins A and B from Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn. and their general pharmacological evaluation in comparison with extracts of the drug. Farmaco. 2001;56:417-20 pubmed..2, 121.2 and 34.5 microg/ml, respectively. AcOEt and praeruptorin A showed antimicrobial activity on Streptococcus agalactiae; their MIC values were 250 and 100 microg/ml, respectively. ..
- Kitajima J, Suzuki N, Satoh M, Watanabe M. Sesquiterpenoids of Torilis japonica fruit. Phytochemistry. 2002;59:811-5 pubmed..The absolute stereostructures of these sesquiterpenoids were elucidated by the modified Mosher's method. ..
- Appendino G, Prosperini S, Valdivia C, Ballero M, Colombano G, Billington R, et al. SERCA-inhibiting activity of C-19 terpenolides from Thapsia garganica and their possible biogenesis. J Nat Prod. 2005;68:1213-7 pubmed..Despite the structural differences with thapsigargin, these compounds showed SERCA-inhibiting properties. ..
- Asgary S, Naderi G, Dashti G, Paknahad Z. Effect of Amirkabiria odorastissima mozaffarian on the development and progression of fatty streaks in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Phytother Res. 2004;18:370-2 pubmed
- Lee J, Roh T, Rho M, Kim Y, Lee H. Mechanisms of relaxant action of a pyranocoumarin from Peucedanum japonicum in isolated rat thoracic aorta. Planta Med. 2002;68:891-5 pubmed..Mechanisms of the vasorelaxant effect of 1 were multiple, including endothelium dependence and Ca(2+) channel blockade. ..
- Liu R, Sun Q, Shi Y, Kong L. Isolation and purification of coumarin compounds from the root of Peucedanum decursivum (Miq.) Maxim by high-speed counter-current chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1076:127-32 pubmed..4%. The structures of all the compounds were identified by 1H NMR and 13C NMR. ..
- Youn H, Lakritz J, Rottinghaus G, Seo H, Kim D, Cho M, et al. Anti-protozoal efficacy of high performance liquid chromatography fractions of Torilis japonica and Sophora flavescens extracts on Neospora caninum and Toxoplasma gondii. Vet Parasitol. 2004;125:409-14 pubmed..1-25.9, 94.8-35.5, 95.9-33.7 and 95.4-49.4% in the range from 2.850 to 0.356 ng/ml. These fractions of T. japonica and S. flavescens extracts are currently undergoing in vivo evaluation in experimentally infected mice...
- Fong W, Zhang J, Wu J, Tse K, Wang C, Cheung H, et al. Pyranocoumarin(+/-)-4'-O-acetyl-3'-O-angeloyl-cis-khellactone induces mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis in HL-60 cells. Planta Med. 2004;70:489-95 pubmed..Our results show that PC triggers mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in HL-60 cells, and the involvement of ERK and JNK signal pathways in the process. ..
- Mavi A, Terzi Z, Ozgen U, Yildirim A, Coskun M. Antioxidant properties of some medicinal plants: Prangos ferulacea (Apiaceae), Sedum sempervivoides (Crassulaceae), Malva neglecta (Malvaceae), Cruciata taurica (Rubiaceae), Rosa pimpinellifolia (Rosaceae), Galium verum subsp. verum (Rubiaceae), Urti. Biol Pharm Bull. 2004;27:702-5 pubmed..However, the highest DPPH radical scavenging activity, reducing power and the amount of phenolic compounds were shown by R. pimpinellifolia. The lowest antioxidant properties were shown by aqueous extract of M. neglecta...
- Singh G, Kapoor I, Pandey S, Singh U, Singh R. Studies on essential oils: part 10; antibacterial activity of volatile oils of some spices. Phytother Res. 2002;16:680-2 pubmed..capticum is very effective against all tested bacteria. The oil of C. cyminum and A. graveolens also gave similar results. These oils are equally or more effective when compared with standard antibiotics, at a very low concentration. ..
- Wu J, Fong W, Zhang J, Leung C, Kwong H, Yang M, et al. Reversal of multidrug resistance in cancer cells by pyranocoumarins isolated from Radix Peucedani. Eur J Pharmacol. 2003;473:9-17 pubmed..Pyranocoumarins also transiently reduced the cellular ATP contents in KB-V1 cells in a dose-dependent manner. Our results suggest that pyranocoumarins could be a potential MDR reversing agent. ..
- Christensen L, Brandt K. Bioactive polyacetylenes in food plants of the Apiaceae family: occurrence, bioactivity and analysis. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006;41:683-93 pubmed..Food plants of the Apiaceae plant family such as carrots, celery and parsley, contain a group of bioactive aliphatic C17-polyacetylenes...
- Kircher S, Ledger S, Hayashi H, Weisshaar B, Schafer E, Frohnmeyer H. CPRF4a, a novel plant bZIP protein of the CPRF family: comparative analyses of light-dependent expression, post-transcriptional regulation, nuclear import and heterodimerisation. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;257:595-605 pubmed
- Ngwendson J, Bedir E, Efange S, Okunji C, Iwu M, Schuster B, et al. Constituents of Peucedanum zenkeri seeds and their antimicrobial effects. Pharmazie. 2003;58:587-9 pubmed..Amongst the isolated compounds only imperatorin, bergapten and isopimpinellin were found to possess anti-microbial activity. ..
- Hisamoto M, Kikuzaki H, Ohigashi H, Nakatani N. Antioxidant compounds from the leaves of Peucedanum japonicum thunb. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51:5255-61 pubmed..Compounds 2-5 were found to be the major potent constituents, which contribute to the antioxidant activity of P. japonicum leaves. ..
- Zhao B, Yang X, Yang X, Zhang L. [Chemical constituents of roots of Saposhnikovia divaricata]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2010;35:1569-72 pubmed..Compounds 2, 6-8, and 11 were isolated from the roots of S. divaricata for the first time. Compounds 1 and 13-18 were chromones, 2, 3, 5-10 and 12 were coumarins, 4 was fatty acid, and 11 was flavonoid. ..
- Wangchuk P, Pyne S, Keller P, Taweechotipatr M, Kamchonwongpaisane S. Phenylpropanoids and furanocoumarins as antibacterial and antimalarial constituents of the Bhutanese medicinal plant Pleurospermum amabile. Nat Prod Commun. 2014;9:957-60 pubmed..2 (chloroquine and antifolate sensitive) and K1CB1 (multidrug resistant). None of the test samples showed cytotoxicity. This study generated scientific data that support the traditional medical uses of the plant. ..
- Rigat M, Gras A, D Ambrosio U, Garnatje T, Parada M, Vallès J. Wild food plants and minor crops in the Ripollès district (Catalonia, Iberian Peninsula): potentialities for developing a local production, consumption and exchange program. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed. 2016;12:49 pubmed..Most cited families included Asteraceae and Lamiaceae, followed by Rosaceae and Apiaceae. Preferred consumed plant parts included leaves, followed by aerial parts, along with fruits and infructescences, ..
- Kaur T, Bijarnia R, Singla S, Tandon C. In vivo efficacy of Trachyspermum ammi anticalcifying protein in urolithiatic rat model. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;126:459-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, the present investigation suggests the potential of TAP in preventing calcium oxalate deposition and forms the basis for the development of antilithiatic drug interventions against urolithiasis. ..
- Samigullin T, Logacheva M, Terenteva E, Degtjareva G, Vallejo Roman C. Plastid Genome of Seseli montanum: Complete Sequence and Comparison with Plastomes of Other Members of the Apiaceae Family. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2016;81:981-5 pubmed publisherThis work reports the complete plastid (pt) DNA sequence of Seseli montanum L. of the Apiaceae family, determined using next-generation sequencing technology. The complete genome sequence has been deposited in GenBank with accession No...
- Wu X, Wei W, Yang X, Zhang Y, Xu W, Yang Y, et al. Anti-Inflammatory Phenolic Acid Esters from the Roots and Rhizomes of Notopterygium incisium and Their Permeability in the Human Caco-2 Monolayer Cell Model. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..incisum but also provided some useful information for predicting their oral bioavailability and their suitability as drug leads or promising anti-inflammatory agents. ..
- Maggio A, Faraone N, Rosselli S, Raimondo F, Spadaro V, Bruno M. Monoterpene derivatives from the flowers of Ferulago campestris, (Apiaceae). Nat Prod Res. 2013;27:1827-31 pubmed publisher..Several ferulol derivatives and a new 10-hydroxy-verbenone ester (7) were isolated. The structure of the new compound was established by extensive NMR analysis, including HMBC and HSQC pulse sequences. ..
- Padalia R, Verma R, Chauhan A, Chanotiya C, Yadav A. Variation in the volatile constituents of different plant parts of Ligusticopsis wallichiana from western Himalaya, India. Nat Prod Commun. 2012;7:1077-8 pubmed..wallichiana. (Z)-Falcarinol (1.9%-21.0%) and alpha-funebrene (0.1%-10.1%) were reported for the first time from the essential oils of L. wallichiana. ..
- Vijayaraghavan K, Nalini S, Prakash N, Madhankumar D. One step green synthesis of silver nano/microparticles using extracts of Trachyspermum ammi and Papaver somniferum. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2012;94:114-7 pubmed publisher..2 and 7.6 ?m diagonally. Future research based on synthesis of size specific nanoparticle based on the optimization of reaction condition would be an interesting area. ..
- Xu K, Jiang S, Sun H, Zhou Y, Xu X, Peng S, et al. New alkaloids from the seeds of Notopterygium incisum. Nat Prod Res. 2012;26:1898-903 pubmed..Their structures were elucidated by 1D, 2D NMR spectra and ESI-MS spectrometer evidence. ..
- Sollai G, Biolchini M, Solari P, Crnjar R. Chemosensory basis of larval performance of Papilio hospiton on different host plants. J Insect Physiol. 2017;99:47-57 pubmed publisher..hospiton GÃ©nÃ© is an oligophagous species, endemic of the islands of Corsica and Sardinia, using various Apiaceae and Rutaceae as host plants, such as Ferula communis, Ferula arrigonii, Peucedanum paniculatum, Ruta lamarmorae ..
- Mitsui S, Torii K, Fukui H, Tsujimura K, Maeda A, Nose M, et al. The herbal medicine compound falcarindiol from Notopterygii Rhizoma suppresses dendritic cell maturation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;333:954-60 pubmed publisher..01). Falcarindiol induces immunosuppressive effects in vitro and in vivo and might be a novel therapy for autoimmune or allergic diseases. ..
- Ren L, Cao Q, Zhai F, Yang S, Zhang H. Asiatic acid exerts anticancer potential in human ovarian cancer cells via suppression of PI3K/Akt/mTOR signalling. Pharm Biol. 2016;54:2377-2382 pubmed..Asiatic acid, a triterpenoid compound extracted from the tropical medicinal plant Centella asiatica (Family: Apiaceae), has exhibited various biological activities...
- Riviere C, Goossens L, Pommery N, Fourneau C, Delelis A, Henichart J. Antiproliferative effects of isopentenylated coumarins isolated from Phellolophium madagascariense Baker. Nat Prod Res. 2006;20:909-16 pubmedFrom the leaves of Phellolophium madagascariense Baker (Apiaceae), an endemic herb to Madagascar, three known coumarins (osthol, murraol and meranzin hydrate) have been isolated and identified...