Summary: An order of parasitic, blood-sucking, wingless INSECTS with the common name of fleas.
- Kosoy M, Reynolds P, Bai Y, Sheff K, Enscore R, Montenieri J, et al. Small-Scale Die-Offs in Woodrats Support Long-Term Maintenance of Plague in the U.S. Southwest. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2017;17:635-644 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that small-scale die-offs in woodrats can support maintenance of plague in the active U.S. Southwestern focus. ..
- Cavanaugh D, Elisberg B, Llewellyn C, Marshall J, Rust J, Williams J, et al. Plague immunization. V. Indirect evidence for the efficacy of plague vaccine. J Infect Dis. 1974;129:Suppl:S37-40 pubmed
- Eidson M, Tierney L, Rollag O, Becker T, Brown T, Hull H. Feline plague in New Mexico: risk factors and transmission to humans. Am J Public Health. 1988;78:1333-5 pubmed
- PochÃ© D, Hartman D, Polyakova L, PochÃ© R. Efficacy of a fipronil bait in reducing the number of fleas (Oropsylla spp.) infesting wild black-tailed prairie dogs. J Vector Ecol. 2017;42:171-177 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the potential for this form of treatment to reduce flea population density on prairie dogs, and subsequently plague transmission, among mammalian hosts across the United States and beyond. ..
- Adams J, Schmidtmann E, Azad A. Infection of colonized cat fleas, Ctenocephalides felis (Bouché), with a rickettsia-like microorganism. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1990;43:400-9 pubmed..25-0.45 microns in diameter with lengths up to 1.5 microns. It was observed repeatedly in fleas of 1 laboratory colony, including newly emerged non-bloodfed specimens, but not in specimens from several other sources. ..
- Maestas L, Britten H. Flea and Small Mammal Species Composition in Mixed-Grass Prairies: Implications for the Maintenance of Yersinia pestis. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2017;17:467-474 pubmed publisher..Moreover this study demonstrates that although small mammals may not play a large part in interepizootic plague cycling in shortgrass prairie ecosystems, their role in mixed-grass prairies requires further evaluation. ..
- Azad A. Epidemiology of murine typhus. Annu Rev Entomol. 1990;35:553-69 pubmed
- Stock I. [Yersinia pestis and plague - an update]. Med Monatsschr Pharm. 2014;37:441-8; quiz 449 pubmed..For treatment of plague, streptomycin is still considered the drug of choice. Chloramphenicol, doxycycline, gentamicin and ciprofloxacin are also promising drugs. Recombinant vaccines against plague are in clinical development. ..
- Nyirenda S, Hang Ombe B, Machang u R, Mwanza J, Kilonzo B. Identification of Risk Factors Associated with Transmission of Plague Disease in Eastern Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:826-830 pubmed publisher..6878, P < 0.05), between digging of rodents from their burrows and the presence of fleas on the hunter's bodies or clothes, which exposes humans to potentially flea bites in an enzootic cycle. ..
- Eads D. Swabbing Prairie Dog Burrows for Fleas That Transmit Yersinia pestis: Influences on Efficiency. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1273-1277 pubmed publisher..If the swabbing technique is used to survey for Y. pestis on colonies of black-tailed prairie dogs, investigators might use the results of this study to modify their methods and increase the number of fleas collected. ..
- Hinnebusch B, Perry R, Schwan T. Role of the Yersinia pestis hemin storage (hms) locus in the transmission of plague by fleas. Science. 1996;273:367-70 pubmed..Thus, the hms locus markedly alters the course of Y. pestis infection in its insect vector, leading to a change in blood-feeding behavior and to efficient transmission of plague. ..