Summary: Animals kept by humans for companionship and enjoyment, as opposed to DOMESTIC ANIMALS such as livestock or farm animals, which are kept for economic reasons.
- Rathwell Deault D, Godard B, Frank D, Doizé B. Conceptualization of convenience euthanasia as an ethical dilemma for veterinarians in Quebec. Can Vet J. 2017;58:255-260 pubmed..Traduit par Isabelle Vallières). ..
- Piasecki T, Chrząstek K, Kasprzykowska U. Mycoplasma pulmonis of Rodents as a Possible Human Pathogen. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2017;17:475-477 pubmed publisher..However, it is unknown whether the presence of M. pulmonis in humans might be associated with disease and whether the foreign Mycoplasma can survive for long in its new environment...
- Litchfield C, Quinton G, Tindle H, Chiera B, Kikillus K, Roetman P. The 'Feline Five': An exploration of personality in pet cats (Felis catus). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183455 pubmed publisher..Thus, the need for a systematic and holistic approach to personality that includes both the individual pet cat and its environment is recommended, and opens the door to future interdisciplinary intervention. ..
- Isaiah A, Hoffmann A, Kelley R, Mundell P, Steiner J, Suchodolski J. Characterization of the nasal and oral microbiota of detection dogs. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184899 pubmed publisher..Our initial data also shows that there is a temporal variation in alpha diversity in nasal samples in detection canines. ..
- Ben Said L, Dziri R, Sassi N, Lozano C, Ben Slama K, Ouzari I, et al. Species distribution, antibiotic resistance and virulence traits in canine and feline enterococci in Tunisia. Acta Vet Hung. 2017;65:173-184 pubmed publisher..faecium isolates by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). Dogs and cats can be carriers of antibiotic-resistant enterococci in their faeces that could shed into the household environment. ..
- Chadwin R. Evacuation of Pets During Disasters: A Public Health Intervention to Increase Resilience. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1413-1417 pubmed publisherDuring a disaster, many pet owners want to evacuate their pets with them, only to find that evacuation and sheltering options are limited or nonexistent...
- Patel S, Miller B, Kosiorek H, Parish J, Lyng P, Krahn L. The Effect of Dogs on Human Sleep in the Home Sleep Environment. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92:1368-1372 pubmed publisher..Humans with a single dog in their bedroom maintained good sleep efficiency; however, the dog's position on/off the bed made a difference. A dog's presence in the bedroom may not be disruptive to human sleep, as was previously suspected. ..
- Hall S, Wright H, Mills D. Parent perceptions of the quality of life of pet dogs living with neuro-typically developing and neuro-atypically developing children: An exploratory study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185300 pubmed publisher..We propose the development of a stress audit based on the findings reported here, to prevent potential dangerous situations, which may lead to dog bites and dog relinquishment and allow owners to maximise the benefits of dog ownership. ..
- Jessen L, Sørensen T, Lilja Z, Kristensen M, Hald T, Damborg P. Cross-sectional survey on the use and impact of the Danish national antibiotic use guidelines for companion animal practice. Acta Vet Scand. 2017;59:81 pubmed publisher..Sustained campaign activity is encouraged and should include promotion of bacteriological testing. ..
- Spitznagel M, Jacobson D, Cox M, Carlson M. Caregiver burden in owners of a sick companion animal: a cross-sectional observational study. Vet Rec. 2017;181:321 pubmed publisher..Future work is needed to determine whether clients with this presentation impact veterinarian stress and how burden in this population might be reduced. ..
- Waap H, Paulino D, Cardoso R. Occurrence of Ornithonyssus sylviarum in pet birds from the district of Setúbal, Portugal. Parasitol Res. 2017;116:2041-2046 pubmed publisher..Considering the zoonotic potential and the risk of dissemination to poultry, the present findings underline the need for further monitoring of O. sylviarum in the wild and domestic avifauna in Portugal. ..
- Gustavsen M, Page C, Moen S, Bjølgerud A, Berg Hansen P, Nygaard G, et al. Environmental exposures and the risk of multiple sclerosis investigated in a Norwegian case-control study. BMC Neurol. 2014;14:196 pubmed publisher..Our data also indicate a protective effect on MS of exposure to cats during childhood, in accordance with the hypothesis that risk of autoimmune diseases like MS may increase with high hygienic standard. ..
- Tulloch J, McGinley L, Sanchez Vizcaino F, Medlock J, Radford A. The passive surveillance of ticks using companion animal electronic health records. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2020-2029 pubmed publisher..These results and methodology could help inform veterinary and public health messages as well as increase awareness of ticks and tick-borne diseases in the general population. ..
- Zehnder A, Hawkins M, Koski M, Lifland B, Byrne B, Swanson A, et al. Burkholderia pseudomallei isolates in 2 pet iguanas, California, USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:304-6 pubmed publisher..The international trade in iguanas may contribute to importation of this pathogen into countries where it is not endemic and put persons exposed to these animals at risk for infection. ..
- Herstad K, Gajardo K, Bakke A, Moe L, Ludvigsen J, Rudi K, et al. A diet change from dry food to beef induces reversible changes on the faecal microbiota in healthy, adult client-owned dogs. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:147 pubmed publisher..Long-term studies are required to investigate potential implications for canine gut and general health. ..
- Hawkins R, Williams J, Scottish Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals Scottish Spca -. Childhood Attachment to Pets: Associations between Pet Attachment, Attitudes to Animals, Compassion, and Humane Behaviour. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisherAttachment to pets has an important role in children's social, emotional, and cognitive development, mental health, well-being, and quality of life...
- Obel K, Ntumba K, Kalambayi K, Zalagile A, Kinkodi K, Munogolo K. Prevalence and determinants of asthma in adults in Kinshasa. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176875 pubmed publisher..Family atopy and the presence of a cat in the house could be the most common determinants to be confirmed with national survey in order to design guidelines for the control of asthma. ..
- Vandentorren S, Guiso N, Badell E, Boisrenoult P, Micaelo M, Troche G, et al. Toxigenic Corynebacterium ulcerans in a fatal human case and her feline contacts, France, March 2014. Euro Surveill. 2014;19: pubmed..ulcerans in biological samples from two stray cats in contact with the case. This finding provides further evidence that pets can carry toxigenic C. ulcerans and may be a source of the infection in humans.
- Dall P, Ellis S, Ellis B, Grant P, Colyer A, Gee N, et al. The influence of dog ownership on objective measures of free-living physical activity and sedentary behaviour in community-dwelling older adults: a longitudinal case-controlled study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:496 pubmed publisher..The scale of the influence of dog ownership on PA found in this study, indicates that future research regarding PA in older adults should assess and report dog ownership and/or dog walking status. ..
- Hodgson K, Darling M, Freeman D, Monavvari A. Asking About Pets Enhances Patient Communication and Care: A Pilot Study. Inquiry. 2017;54:46958017734030 pubmed publisherThis research explored whether asking patients about their pets would enable better environmental/social history taking, and improve patient communication/care...
- Eriksson M, Keeling L, Rehn T. Cats and owners interact more with each other after a longer duration of separation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185599 pubmed publisher..Felis silvestris catus) need for human contact, although it is generally believed that cats are more independent pets than e.g. dogs. In this study, we investigated the effect of time left alone at home on cat behaviour (e.g...
- Holst B, Gustavsson M. Animal obesity: causes, consequences and comparative aspects. Acta Vet Scand. 2016;58:56 pubmed
- Volk H. International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force consensus reports on epilepsy definition, classification and terminology, affected dog breeds, diagnosis, treatment, outcome measures of therapeutic trials, neuroimaging and neuropathology in companion ani. BMC Vet Res. 2015;11:174 pubmed publisher
- Aslantas O, Yilmaz E. Prevalence and molecular characterization of extended-spectrum ?-lactamase (ESBL) and plasmidic AmpC ?-lactamase (pAmpC) producing Escherichia coli in dogs. J Vet Med Sci. 2017;79:1024-1030 pubmed publisher..coli clone O25b:ST131/B2. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to show fecal carriage of ESBL/pAmpC type ?-lactamase producing E. coli isolates among dogs in Turkey. ..
- Olivry T, Mueller R. Critically appraised topic on adverse food reactions of companion animals (3): prevalence of cutaneous adverse food reactions in dogs and cats. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:51 pubmed publisher..This must especially be considered in companion animals with nonseasonal pruritus or signs of allergic dermatitis. ..
- Pinto A, De Santis M, Moretti C, Farina L, Ravarotto L. Medical practitioners' attitudes towards animal assisted interventions. An Italian survey. Complement Ther Med. 2017;33:20-26 pubmed publisher..Data collected could be used as a starting point to promote and implement communication and training activities on AAI addressed to medical practitioners. ..
- Szczepańska B, Andrzejewska M, Śpica D, Klawe J. Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli isolated from children and environmental sources in urban and suburban areas. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:80 pubmed publisher..The study proved that surface water, poultry meat and pets constituted potential sources of Campylobacter to children...
- Kydd E, McGreevy P. Sex differences in the herding styles of working sheepdogs and their handlers. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184072 pubmed publisher..It is also hoped that ultimately, it will lead to improved welfare for dogs and the livestock with which they interact. ..
- Xin K, Pan M, Liu H, Dong R. [Investigation of Toxoplasma gondii infection in pregnant women in Qingdao area]. Zhongguo Xue Xi Chong Bing Fang Zhi Za Zhi. 2014;26:320-2 pubmed..9, P < 0.05). The TOX antibody positive rates of families with pets and families without pets were 26.63% and 8.77% respectively (X2 =10.93, P <0.05)...
- Szánthó F, Miklosi A, Kubinyi E. Is your dog empathic? Developing a Dog Emotional Reactivity Survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170397 pubmed publisher..The criterion validity of the Dog Emotional Reactivity Survey should be confirmed by objective behavioural tests. ..
- Carmo L, Schüpbach Regula G, Müntener C, Chevance A, Moulin G, Magouras I. Approaches for quantifying antimicrobial consumption per animal species based on national sales data: a Swiss example, 2006 to 2013. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is critical to monitor antimicrobial sales for livestock and pets. Despite the availability of veterinary antimicrobial sales data in most European countries, surveillance currently ..
- Okin G. Environmental impacts of food consumption by dogs and cats. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181301 pubmed publisher..Here, the energy and animal-derived product consumption of these pets in the US is evaluated for the first time, as are the environmental impacts from the animal products fed to them, ..
- Lundqvist M, Carlsson P, Sjödahl R, Theodorsson E, Levin L. Patient benefit of dog-assisted interventions in health care: a systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:358 pubmed publisher..However, the majority of studied outcome measures showed no significant effect. ..