Genomes and Genes
x ray computed tomography scanners
Summary: X-ray image-detecting devices that make a focused image of body structures lying in a predetermined plane from which more complex images are computed.
- White C, Pugatch R, Koonce T, Rust S, Dharaiya E. Lung nodule CAD software as a second reader: a multicenter study. Acad Radiol. 2008;15:326-33 pubmed publisher..In this multicenter trial, CAD software was shown to be effective as a second reader by improving the sensitivity of the radiologists in detecting pulmonary nodules. ..
- Belakhlef A, Church C, Fraser R, Lakhanpal S. Sensitivity and daily quality control of a mobile PET/CT scanner operating in 3-dimensional mode. J Nucl Med Technol. 2007;35:229-31 pubmed..To enhance our confidence in the uniformity of sensitivity across slices, we added a phantom scan to the daily quality control recommendations of the manufacturer. ..
- Geiger F, Lorenz H, Xu W, Szalay K, Kasten P, Claes L, et al. VEGF producing bone marrow stromal cells (BMSC) enhance vascularization and resorption of a natural coral bone substitute. Bone. 2007;41:516-22 pubmed..The results indicate that VEGF can be a helpful factor to improve healing in large bone defects, in which bone substitutes will otherwise not be vascularized and replaced by fresh bone. ..
- Chen P, Miller P, Recker R, Resch H, Rana A, Pavo I, et al. Increases in BMD correlate with improvements in bone microarchitecture with teriparatide treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:1173-80 pubmed..Therefore, improvements in trabecular bone microarchitecture may be one of the mechanisms to explain how BMD increases improve bone strength during teriparatide treatment. ..
- Pittet M, Grimm J, Berger C, Tamura T, Wojtkiewicz G, Nahrendorf M, et al. In vivo imaging of T cell delivery to tumors after adoptive transfer therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12457-61 pubmed
- Greiner E, Mügge L, Romeike B, Topalidis T, Theis B, Ragoschke Schumm A, et al. A case with coincidental diagnosis of primary central nervous system lymphoma and lymph node sarcoidosis. J Neurooncol. 2010;99:129-34 pubmed publisher..Post mortem findings confirmed synchronous PCNSL with mediastinal lymph node sarcoidosis. ..
- Reinert M, Andres R, Fuhrer M, Muller A, Schaller B, Widmer H. Online correlation of spontaneous arterial and intracranial pressure fluctuations in patients with diffuse severe head injury. Neurol Res. 2007;29:455-62 pubmed..We conclude that online determination of AI rho offers a valuable additional and technically easily performable tool for guidance of therapy in patients with severe head injury. ..
- Chen X, Yang H, Wang G, Gu Y, Pan W, Dong R, et al. Surgery for thoracic myelopathy caused by ossification of the ligamentum flavum. J Clin Neurosci. 2009;16:1316-20 pubmed publisher..The increase in kyphosis after the laminectomy was minimal when most of the facet joints were left intact and when the patient followed a back extensor exercise program post-operatively. ..
- Baldi A, De Crescenzo V, Giordano D, Lamberti R, Perna A, Picone C, et al. Cystic nephroma: report of a case and review of the literature. In Vivo. 2007;21:895-6 pubmed..The histopathological differential diagnosis and immunohistochemical features that are potentially useful for refining this tumor are discussed. ..
- Blake F, Blessmann M, Pohlenz P, Heiland M. A new imaging modality for intraoperative evaluation of sinus floor augmentation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;37:183-5 pubmed..Visualization of the entire sinus was possible with the aid of multiplanar reconstructions. Data acquisition and processing took 5 min. ..
- Burghardt A, Kazakia G, Laib A, Majumdar S. Quantitative assessment of bone tissue mineralization with polychromatic micro-computed tomography. Calcif Tissue Int. 2008;83:129-38 pubmed publisher..80). In cortical bone specimens, the correlation was somewhat weaker when a global threshold was applied (R (2) = 0.67) compared to the local threshold method (R (2) = 0.78). ..
- Lee I, Hsieh C, Liu J. Bilateral extensive emphysematous pyelonephritis. A case report. Med Princ Pract. 2009;18:149-51 pubmed publisher..Regarding clinical manifestations, EPN is nonspecific; hence, radiographs should be taken for diabetic patients with abdominal pain (especially those with poorly controlled blood sugar) to enable early diagnosis of potential EPN. ..
- Engelke K, Libanati C, Liu Y, Wang H, Austin M, Fuerst T, et al. Quantitative computed tomography (QCT) of the forearm using general purpose spiral whole-body CT scanners: accuracy, precision and comparison with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). Bone. 2009;45:110-8 pubmed publisher..These assessments, coupled with evaluation of the effects on cortical and trabecular bone measured in response to therapies for osteoporosis, may advance our understanding of the contributors to non-vertebral fracture occurrence. ..
- Karbeyaz B, Naidu R, Ying Z, Simanovsky S, Hirsch M, SCHAFER D, et al. Variable pitch reconstruction using John's equation. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2008;27:897-906 pubmed publisher..Results obtained from simulated phantom images and scanner images demonstrate the applicability of the proposed algorithm. ..
- Ichchou L, Amine B, Hajjaj Hassouni N. Idiopathic avascular necrosis of the capitate bone: a new case report. Clin Rheumatol. 2008;27 Suppl 2:S47-50 pubmed publisher..Surgical treatment was recommended, given drilling and autogenous bone grafting. Histological analysis showed necrotic bone. The physical therapy was implemented to restore function. Two months postoperatively, she was almost pain free. ..
- Mischkowski R, Pulsfort R, Ritter L, Neugebauer J, Brochhagen H, Keeve E, et al. Geometric accuracy of a newly developed cone-beam device for maxillofacial imaging. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:551-9 pubmed..Multidetector row computed tomography scans proved slightly more accurate in both measurement categories. The difference may be considered as not relevant for the majority of clinical applications. ..
- van den Hoff J. Blood flow quantification with permeable contrast agents: a valid technique?. Radiology. 2007;243:909; author reply 909-10 pubmed
- Kim J, Choi J, Kim H, Oh K. Orthostatic headache as the presenting symptom of cervical spine metastasis. Headache. 2008;48:161-3 pubmed publisher..We report here the unusual case of a 68-year-old man presenting with orthostatic headache in which compression of the C3 spinal nerve root by metastatic tumor invasion may contribute to the development of his orthostatic headache. ..
- Jeong D, Lee K, Kim B, Kim K, Kim Y, Bajpai V, et al. On-the-fly generation of multiplanar reformation images independent of CT scanner type. J Digit Imaging. 2008;21:306-11 pubmed..1 +/- 509.4). ..
- Perisinakis K, Papadakis A, Damilakis J. The effect of x-ray beam quality and geometry on radiation utilization efficiency in multidetector CT imaging. Med Phys. 2009;36:1258-66 pubmed..05). Overbeaming strongly depends on the beam collimation and focal spot size, while the impact of beam quality on GE is less pronounced. Thin beam collimations are associated with a GE of as low as 30%. ..
- Chieregato A, Tanfani A, Noto A, Fronza S, Cocciolo F, Fainardi E. Cerebral blood flow thresholds predicting new hypoattenuation areas due to macrovascular ischemia during the acute phase of severe and complicated aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. A preliminary study. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2008;102:311-6 pubmed..The results suggest that there is no absolute rCBF threshold ofischemia in severe and complicated SAH patients and that the rCBF values are only moderately predictive at levels lower than previously described. ..
- Haug T, Sorteberg A, Finset A, Lindegaard K, Lundar T, Sorteberg W. Cognitive functioning and health-related quality of life 1 year after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in preoperative comatose patients (Hunt and Hess Grade V patients). Neurosurgery. 2010;66:475-84; discussion 484-5 pubmed publisher..A high fraction of survivors among preoperative comatose aneurysmal SAH patients (Hunt and Hess grade V) recover to good physical and cognitive function, enabling them to live a normal life. ..
- Decouvelaere M, Wahart G. [Technology: always more efficient]. J Radiol. 2006;87:843-7 pubmed
- Reynolds D, Hock C, Shaikh S, Jacobson J, Zhang X, Rubery P, et al. Micro-computed tomography prediction of biomechanical strength in murine structural bone grafts. J Biomech. 2007;40:3178-86 pubmed..The statistical correlations approach used in this mouse study could be useful in guiding future development of non-invasive predictors of the biomechanical properties of allografts using clinical CT. ..
- Wright J, Hagemann A, Rader J, Viviano D, Gibb R, Norris L, et al. Bevacizumab combination therapy in recurrent, platinum-refractory, epithelial ovarian carcinoma: A retrospective analysis. Cancer. 2006;107:83-9 pubmed..Gastrointestinal perforations were identified in 9%. Despite the toxicity of the regimen, prospective studies, particularly in less heavily pretreated patients, are warranted. ..
- Bano S, Mehra S, Yadav S, Chaudhary V. Marchiafava-Bignami disease: Role of neuroimaging in the diagnosis and management of acute disease. Neurol India. 2009;57:649-52 pubmed publisher..Because clinical signs are nonspecific, the role of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging is essential to confirm the diagnosis. Early diagnosis with imaging and prompt treatment may improve the prognosis of MBD. ..
- Williams J, Matlaga B, Kim S, Jackson M, Sommer A, McAteer J, et al. Calcium oxalate calculi found attached to the renal papilla: Preliminary evidence for early mechanisms in stone formation. J Endourol. 2006;20:885-90 pubmed
- Navas M, Pascual J, Fraga J, Pedrosa M, Shakur S, Carrasco R, et al. Intracranial intermediate-grade meningeal melanocytoma with increased cellular proliferative index: an illustrative case associated with a nevus of Ota. J Neurooncol. 2009;95:105-115 pubmed publisher..The MIB-1/Ki-67 labeling index may have potential prognostic value in helping the clinician to predict an aggressive clinical behavior and/or malignant progression for primary melanocytic neoplasms of the CNS...
- Matcham N, Andronikou S, Sibson K, Ramani P, Grier D. Systemic juvenile xanthogranulomatosis imitating a malignant abdominal wall tumor with lung metastases. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2007;29:72-3 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first such reported case. In particular, systemic disease presenting without skin lesions is unusual. ..
- Ho A, Fu D, Cotrutz C, Hancock S, Chang S, Gibbs I, et al. A study of the accuracy of cyberknife spinal radiosurgery using skeletal structure tracking. Neurosurgery. 2007;60:ONS147-56; discussion ONS156 pubmed..49 mm. The Xsight spine tracking system is practically important because it is accurate and eliminates the use of implanted fiducials. Experience has shown this technology to be robust under a wide range of clinical circumstances. ..
- Dayer R, Badoud I, Rizzoli R, Ammann P. Defective implant osseointegration under protein undernutrition: prevention by PTH or pamidronate. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:1526-33 pubmed..These results indicate that systemic administration of PTH or pamidronate could be considered for preventing uncemented arthroplasty loosening in protein undernourished patients. ..
- Sohail S. Revolution next--the multidetector CT. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2007;17:61-2 pubmed
- Leach J, Rayz V, Soares B, Wintermark M, Mofrad M, Saloner D. Carotid atheroma rupture observed in vivo and FSI-predicted stress distribution based on pre-rupture imaging. Ann Biomed Eng. 2010;38:2748-65 pubmed publisher..Within these bounds, we find a region of pronounced elevation in stress within the fibrous plaque layer of the lesion with a location and extent corresponding to that of the observed site of plaque rupture. ..
- Das M, Ley Zaporozhan J, Gietema H, Czech A, Mühlenbruch G, Mahnken A, et al. Accuracy of automated volumetry of pulmonary nodules across different multislice CT scanners. Eur Radiol. 2007;17:1979-84 pubmed..Nodule volumetry is accurate with a reasonable volume error in data from different scanner vendors. This may have an important impact for intraindividual follow-up studies. ..
- Francone M, Napoli A, Carbone I, Cavacece M, Nardis P, Lanciotti K, et al. Noninvasive imaging of the coronary arteries using a 64-row multidetector CT scanner: initial clinical experience and radiation dose concerns. Radiol Med. 2007;112:31-46 pubmed..The use of dose-reducing acquisition techniques is mandatory to limit radiation exposure to the patient. ..
- Hovland H. Tomographic scanning imager. Opt Express. 2009;17:11371-87 pubmed..It is shown how TOSCA imaging can be used in a multispectral configuration, and compares well with more conventional alternatives both in simplicity and performance. Examples of image reconstruction using TOSCA techniques are shown. ..
- Perisinakis K, Damilakis J, Tzedakis A, Papadakis A, Theocharopoulos N, Gourtsoyiannis N. Determination of the weighted CT dose index in modern multi-detector CT scanners. Phys Med Biol. 2007;52:6485-95 pubmed..Accurate CTDI(w) determination presupposes the use of a pencil chamber and PMMA phantoms at least 50 cm long. ..
- van Lindert E. Microsurgical third ventriculocisternostomy as an alternative to ETV: report of two cases. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008;24:757-61 pubmed publisher..In both cases, microsurgical TVS was successful and the patients became shunt free. Microsurgical TVS by a supraorbital craniotomy is a viable alternative to endoscopic TVS in selected cases. ..
- Hsu C, Chang S, Hwang K, Kuo C, Chang H, Chou P. The impact of the menopause on coronary artery calcification examined by multislice computed tomography scanning. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008;18:306-13 pubmed..6). These initial findings seem to indicate that above 50 years of age, CAC is more dependent on age in females than in males, which might be due to the effect of the menopause. ..
- Jenkinson M, Smith T, Haylock B, Husband D, Shenoy A, Vinjamuri S, et al. Phase II trial of intratumoral BCNU injection and radiotherapy on untreated adult malignant glioma. J Neurooncol. 2010;99:103-13 pubmed publisher..The imaging data forms a biological basis for understanding the effects of high dose BCNU delivered intratumorally by SFP, and suggests early effects on tumour vasculature and metabolism. ..
- Takahashi N, Nimura H, Aoki H, Koyama T, Mitsumori N, Aiba K, et al. Successful preoperative chemotherapy with S-1 plus low-dose cisplatin for advanced gastric cancer with synchronous liver metastases: report of 2 cases. Chemotherapy. 2007;53:378-82 pubmed..These cases provide further evidence that S-1 plus low-dose cisplatin chemotherapy enables downstaging of advanced gastric cancer and a subsequent potentially curative resection without serious complications. ..
- Hill D, Miller N, Newman N, Biousse V. A patient with headache and increased intracranial pressure. Rev Neurol Dis. 2008;5:90-1 pubmed..These 2 cases presented with acutely raised intracranial pressure and had characteristic CT and MRI changes. ..
- Mastrangelo S, Arlotta A, Cefalo M, Maurizi P, Cianfoni A, Riccardi R. Central pontine and extrapontine myelinolysis in a pediatric patient following rapid correction of hypernatremia. Neuropediatrics. 2009;40:144-7 pubmed publisher..He achieved an almost full neurological recovery and radiological improvement. The reported case demonstrates that central pontine and extrapontine myelinolysis can occur after excessively rapid correction of hypernatremia. ..
- Bloomfield F, Shuan Dai -, Perry D, Aftimos S. Isolated absence of the Moro reflex in a baby with CHARGE syndrome could reflect vestibular abnormalities. J Child Neurol. 2008;23:561-3 pubmed publisher..This suggestion has implications for the diagnostic and prognostic relevance of an isolated absent Moro reflex. ..
- Ballanti F, Lione R, Fiaschetti V, Fanucci E, Cozza P. Low-dose CT protocol for orthodontic diagnosis. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2008;9:65-70 pubmed..The images were good enough to obtain information about the exact position of impacted teeth and to plan the best line of surgical treatment and mechanotherapy strategy. ..
- Turkvatan A, Biyikoglu S, Büyükbayraktar F, Cumhur T, Duru E, Olcer T, et al. Noninvasive evaluation of coronary artery bypass grafts and native coronary arteries: is 16-slice multidetector CT useful?. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2009;15:43-50 pubmed..But evaluation of native coronary artery stenosis is limited, particularly in patients with advanced coronary artery disease with severe calcification. ..
- Huda W, Randazzo W, Tipnis S, Frey G, Mah E. Embryo dose estimates in body CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;194:874-80 pubmed publisher..Embryo doses can be estimated using relative uterus doses, normalized plateau uterus doses, and CTDI(vol) data with correction factors for patient size. ..
- Palomo J, Kau C, Palomo L, Hans M. Three-dimensional cone beam computerized tomography in dentistry. Dent Today. 2006;25:130, 132-5 pubmed
- Godkar D, Anandacoomarswamy D, Bansal G, Patel R, Recco R. A rare case of infected splenic hematoma. Am J Ther. 2007;14:411-3 pubmed..We present a patient with a known history of intravenous drug abuse and recent abdominal trauma who was found to have infective endocarditis and subsequently an infected splenic hematoma. The related literature is also discussed. ..
- Brandi G, Nannini M, Pantaleo M, Fanello S, Farsad M, Fanti S, et al. Molecular imaging suggests efficacy of bevacizumab beyond the second line in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Chemotherapy. 2008;54:421-4 pubmed publisher..Molecular imaging techniques seem to be mandatory in the era of tailored therapy since it is useful to have an in vivo 'biological picture' of the neoplastic disease. ..