Summary: Nonexpendable apparatus used during surgical procedures. They are differentiated from SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS, usually hand-held and used in the immediate operative field.
- Raison Peyron N, Co Minh H, Vidal Mazuy A, Dereure O, Guillot B. Allergic contact dermatitis to a surgical varnish. Allergy. 2005;60:1331 pubmed
- Krathen R, Orengo I. How I do it. In a pinch. Dermatol Surg. 2004;30:1599 pubmed..The biopsy sample was satisfactory without tissue trauma or crush artifact. A towel clip is a reasonable alternative when forceps are not available when performing a punch biopsy. ..
- Knulst A, Mooijweer R, Jansen F, Stassen L, Dankelman J. Indicating shortcomings in surgical lighting systems. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2011;20:267-75 pubmed publisher..Focus for improvements should be on minimizing the need for repositioning the luminaire, and on minimizing the effort for repositioning. ..
- Bailey A, Bourke M, Kaffes A, Byth K, Lee E, Williams S. Needle-knife sphincterotomy: factors predicting its use and the relationship with post-ERCP pancreatitis (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2010;71:266-71 pubmed publisher..Nonrandomized for NKS intervention. The number of attempts at cannulating the papilla is independently associated with PEP, and the risk increases with an increasing number of attempts. NKS is not an independent predictor of PEP. ..
- Rane A, Dasgupta P. Prospective experience with a second-generation hand-assisted laparoscopic device and comparison with first-generation devices. J Endourol. 2003;17:895-7 pubmed..The GelPort is currently a more user-friendly and robust HAL device. It is, however, more expensive than first-generation devices. ..
- Frey L, Hellier J, Unkart C, Lepkin A, Howard A, Hasebroock K, et al. A novel apparatus for lateral fluid percussion injury in the rat. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;177:267-72 pubmed publisher..In addition, our apparatus produced an acute and chronic TBI syndrome similar to that in the LFPI/PPBD literature, as quantified by histological changes, MRI structural changes and chronic behavioral sequelae. ..
- Wicker P, Smith B. Checking the anaesthetic machine. J Perioper Pract. 2006;16:585-90 pubmed..This article discusses the importance of following the anaesthetic checklist to the recommended standards for both the practitioner and the patient. ..
- Berghaus A. New instruments for rhinoplasty: operating mirror and alar guiding set. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;117:2224-5 pubmed
- Ari S, Caca I, Sahin A, Cingü A. Toxic anterior segment syndrome subsequent to pediatric cataract surgery. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2012;31:53-7 pubmed publisher..Although the majority of the patients with TASS after pediatric cataract surgery recover with medical therapy, a few cases may need penetrating keratoplasty due to irreversible corneal decompensation. ..
- Stedtfeld H, Attmanspacher W. [Arthroscopy of the talocrural articulation]. Orthopade. 2003;32:667-80; quiz 681 pubmed..The present article describes the technique, indications, complications, and perspectives for arthroscopy of the talocrural articulation. ..
- Buzard K, Liapis S. Prevention of endophthalmitis. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004;30:1953-9 pubmed
- Coile R. Surgical tools meet the 21st century. Russ Coiles Health Trends. 2003;15:8-12 pubmed
- Beyea S. Preventing fires in the OR. AORN J. 2003;78:664-6 pubmed
- Crawford A. Anterior surgery in the thoracic and lumbar spine: endoscopic techniques in children. Instr Course Lect. 2005;54:567-76 pubmed..The potential benefits of this procedure include diminished postoperative pain, decreased length of hospitalization, increased wound care, and early return to prehospital activities. ..
- Feyrer R, Weyand M, Kunzmann U. Resource management in cardiovascular engineering: is outsourcing the solution?. Perfusion. 2005;20:289-94 pubmed
- Glait S, Schwarzkopf R, Gould S, Bosco J, Slover J. Is repetitive intraoperative splash basin use a source of bacterial contamination in total joint replacement?. Orthopedics. 2011;34:e546-9 pubmed publisher..17% of basins showing contamination. Splash basins can be a potential source of contamination, but the risk is not as high as previously cited in the orthopedic literature...
- Dimitrova R, Georgieva I. [Midwife competence as an operative assistant during cesarean section]. Akush Ginekol (Sofiia). 2006;45 Suppl 3:72-3 pubmed
- Xiang L, Gao X, Xu J, Ma P. [Positioning path planning for HIFU Surgery Platform application]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2005;22:890-5 pubmed
- Sade B, Mohr G. Depressed skull fracture and epidural haematoma: an unusual post-operative complication of pin headrest in an adult. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2005;147:101-3 pubmed..The calvarial thickness was observed to be significantly reduced due to chronic high intracranial pressure. Potentially hazardous complications of pin headrests should not be underestimated in adults...
- Bady S, Wongworawat M. Effectiveness of antimicrobial incise drapes versus cyanoacrylate barrier preparations for surgical sites. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:1674-7 pubmed publisher..3 +/- 90 CFUs) and undraped controls (82.7 +/- 93.3 CFUs), the cyanoacrylate-treated group demonstrated lower wound bed contamination (0.3 +/- 0.6 CFUs) when compared to controls. ..
- St Peter S, Nguyen C, Mulligan D, Moss A. Subcutaneous metastasis at a surgical drain site after the resection of pancreatic cancer. Int J Gastrointest Cancer. 2003;33:111-5 pubmed..In this report, we describe an unusual case of cutaneous recurrence at the site of a surgical drain after resection for curative intent and discuss the impact of surgery on tumor-growth characteristics. ..
- Bandari J, Schumacher K, Simon M, Cameron D, Goeschel C, Holzmueller C, et al. Surfacing safety hazards using standardized operating room briefings and debriefings at a large regional medical center. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2012;38:154-60 pubmed..Briefings and debriefings were a practical and effective strategy to surface potential surgical defects in the operating rooms of a large medical center. ..
- Etkin Y, Kanchwala S, Low D, Foley P, Jackson O, Jackson B. Creation of spliced vein conduit using microvascular anastomotic coupler. J Vasc Surg. 2017;65:1845-1847 pubmed publisher..Creating a spliced vein conduit can be technically challenging and time consuming. We present a technique of creating a spliced vein conduit by using a microvascular anastomotic coupler. ..
- Shah N, Goldstein J, Balzer D, Lasala J, Moazami N. Transcatheter repair of recurrent postinfarct ventricular septal defects. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:1907-9 pubmed..Surgical repair of recurrent postmyocardial infarction septal defect is associated with a high mortality rate. We present 2 patients whose recurrent defects were closed percutaneously using an Amplatzer device. ..
- Nilsen E. Managing equipment and instruments in the operating room. AORN J. 2005;81:349-52, 355-8 pubmed
- Hassan M, Mercer V, Kannan R, Rehman N, Stanley P. The Hull hand table: a cost-effective alternative. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113:1094-5 pubmed
- Meier U, Lopez O, Monserrat C, Juan M, Alcaniz M. Real-time deformable models for surgery simulation: a survey. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2005;77:183-97 pubmed..We present the advantages and disadvantages of each one. Finally, we make a comparison of deformable models and perform an evaluation of the state of the art and the future of deformable models. ..
- Guedj M. Sudden deflation of a tourniquet caused by lowering of the operating table. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2007;26:174 pubmed
- Yu L, Dai G, Duan J, Xu Y, Chen W, Zhou L. Thin steel plate with thumbtack fixation in the treatment of massive presacral venous plexus hemorrhage. Chin Med J (Engl). 2011;124:3180-1 pubmed..Application of a small, thin steel plate to the bleeding site with thumbtack fixation is a simple and effective method of hemostasis in patients with massive presacral venous plexus hemorrhage during resection of rectal carcinoma. ..
- Vaessen C. Location of robotic surgical systems worldwide and in France. J Visc Surg. 2011;148:e9-11 pubmed publisher..However, the costs of installing and using a da Vinci system are impediments to the proliferation of this technology. This article reviews the locations of robotic surgical systems worldwide and in France, in 2010. ..
- Ellis H. The Spencer Wells forceps. J Perioper Pract. 2006;16:102-3 pubmed..Surely the most recognisable 'name behind the instrument' must be that of Sir Thomas Spencer Wells (1818-1897), whose ratchet haemostatic forceps represented a simple but important advance in surgical instrument technology. ..
- Stolzenburg J, Truss M, Rabenalt R, Do M, Pfeiffer H, Bekos A, et al. [Endoscopic extraperitoneal radical prostatectomy. Results after 300 procedures]. Urologe A. 2004;43:698-707 pubmed..EERPE is a technical advancement because it combines the advantages of a totally extraperitoneal access with the advantages of a minimally invasive procedure. ..
- Kulig K, Luo X, Finkelstein E, Liu X, Goldman S, Sundback C, et al. Biologic properties of surgical scaffold materials derived from dermal ECM. Biomaterials. 2013;34:5776-84 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that both biologic and structural properties need to be carefully assessed in the considerable ongoing efforts to develop new uses and products in this important class of biomaterials. ..
- Chung H, Jeong S, Lee D, Lee J, Lee J, Bang B, et al. Giant choledocholithiasis treated by mechanical lithotripsy using a gastric bezoar basket. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:3327-30 pubmed publisher..ML using a gastric bezoar basket is a safe and effective retrieval method in select cases, and is considered as an alternative nonoperative option for the management of difficult CBD stones. ..
- Andrews M. Technology & medicine. A guiding hand. US News World Rep. 2006;141:59-62 pubmed
- Lipscomb I, Sihota A, Keevil C. Diathermy forceps and pencils: reservoirs for protein and prion contamination?. J Hosp Infect. 2006;64:193-4 pubmed
- de Souza Pinto E, Abdala P, Maciel C, dos Santos F, de Souza R. Liposuction and VASER. Clin Plast Surg. 2006;33:107-15, vii pubmed..With its thinner cannulas and decreased use of ultrasonic energy, it allows greater emulsification of fat, creates more tunnels, diminishes the operative time, preserves vessels and nerves, and causes less pain and hematomas. ..
- Agarwal B, Agarwal S. The man-machine interface, a paradox of technology. Is the black box (BB) concept an angel or a demon?. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:1680 pubmed
- Hirata A. Fracture of intraocular forceps during vitrectomy. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2007;85:223 pubmed
- Reiss Zimmermann M, Schulz T, Kahn T, Hofer M. Imaging of the sinuses for functional sinus surgery using navigational guidance. Laryngorhinootologie. 2012;91:160-6 pubmed publisher..Technical advances like cone-beam tomography seem promising to further improve dose reduction as well as spatial resolution. ..
- Mink S, Gonzalez X, Duke K, Bautista E, Tan L. Lung volume reduction surgery in canine model of predominantly upper lobe emphysema: advantages of new surgical system. Chest. 2004;125:633-43 pubmed..The vacuum-assisted surgical system provided safe and effective lung reduction without air leak complications and with sustained improvement in pulmonary function over 6 months. ..
- Larrick K. ST79: and then there was one. Biomed Instrum Technol. 2006;40:325-6 pubmed
- Feuchtinger J. [Preventing decubitus ulcer in heart surgery interventions: visco-elastic foam layer on the operating room table--a study]. Pflege Z. 2006;59:498-501 pubmed
- Herron D, Marohn M. A consensus document on robotic surgery. Surg Endosc. 2008;22:313-25; discussion 311-2 pubmed
- Singh H, Desai M, Shrivastav P, Vani K. Bipolar versus monopolar transurethral resection of prostate: randomized controlled study. J Endourol. 2005;19:333-8 pubmed..Postoperative dysuria was less common with bipolar resection. Bipolar resection of the prostate is as effective as monopolar TURP. Moreover, it does not lead to any change in serum Na and causes less postoperative dysuria. ..
- Barrett J. Health for life. Cutting edge. Newsweek. 2005;146:50-2, 54 pubmed
- Hudorovic N, Rogan S, Lovricevic I, Zovak M, Schmidt S. The vascular hybrid room--operating room of the future. Acta Clin Croat. 2010;49:289-98 pubmed..These changes in the treatment of vascular disease require that a new type of vascular specialist, named 'vascular hybrid surgeon', trained to perform both endovascular and open surgical procedures in this highly complex patient group. ..
- Sarker S, Chang A, Vincent C. Decision making in laparoscopic surgery: a prospective, independent and blinded analysis. Int J Surg. 2008;6:98-105 pubmed..By understanding the mechanisms and factors which influence this process we may use it for effective, focused surgical training. We aim to use and test our model also on open major complex surgery. ..
- Gallagher M, Santini L, Magliano G, Sgueglia M, Venditti F, Padula M, et al. Feasibility and safety of a simplified draping method for pacing procedures. Europace. 2007;9:890-3 pubmed..014, Fisher's exact test). A simplified draping method involving a single adhesive fenestrated drape can be used for pacemaker or ICD implantation or revision procedures without an excessively elevated risk of infective complications. ..
- Kuebler B, Seibold U, Hirzinger G. Development of actuated and sensor integrated forceps for minimally invasive robotic surger. Int J Med Robot. 2005;1:96-107 pubmed..The instruments as a front-end part of the MIRS setup form one base of a telepresence working environment and are crucial for semi-autonomous functions, e.g. motion compensation. ..