Genomes and Genes
Summary: Devices for accelerating protons or electrons in closed orbits where the accelerating voltage and magnetic field strength varies (the accelerating voltage is held constant for electrons) in order to keep the orbit radius constant.
- Karunaratne A, Esapa C, Hiller J, Boyde A, Head R, Bassett J, et al. Significant deterioration in nanomechanical quality occurs through incomplete extrafibrillar mineralization in rachitic bone: evidence from in-situ synchrotron X-ray scattering and backscattered electron imaging. J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27:876-90 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the value of in situ X-ray nanomechanical imaging in linking the alterations in bone nanostructure to nanoscale mechanical deterioration in a metabolic bone disease. ..
- Martinez Criado G, Tucoulou R, Cloetens P, Bleuet P, Bohic S, Cauzid J, et al. Status of the hard X-ray microprobe beamline ID22 of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2012;19:10-8 pubmed publisher..The upgrade plans to adapt the beamline to the growing needs of the user community are briefly discussed. ..
- Fahrni C. Biological applications of X-ray fluorescence microscopy: exploring the subcellular topography and speciation of transition metals. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2007;11:121-7 pubmed
- Finney L, Vogt S, Fukai T, Glesne D. Copper and angiogenesis: unravelling a relationship key to cancer progression. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2009;36:88-94 pubmed publisher..One such approach relies on synchrotron-derived X-rays from third-generation synchrotrons and the technique of high resolution X-ray fluorescence microprobe (XFM) analysis. 3...
- Dumas P, Sockalingum G, Sule Suso J. Adding synchrotron radiation to infrared microspectroscopy: what's new in biomedical applications?. Trends Biotechnol. 2007;25:40-4 pubmed..Although the theory of infrared (IR) spectroscopy is thoroughly worked out, the scientific ground of vibrational spectroscopy is now undergoing a real boost, with the application of this analytical technique in biology and biomedicine. ..
- Kastyak M, Szczerbowska Boruchowska M, Adamek D, Tomik B, Lankosz M, Gough K. Pigmented creatine deposits in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis central nervous system tissues identified by synchrotron Fourier Transform Infrared microspectroscopy and X-ray fluorescence spectromicroscopy. Neuroscience. 2010;166:1119-28 pubmed publisher..We conclude that elevated creatine deposits may be indicators of dysfunctional oxidative processes in some ALS cases. ..
- Whitmore L, Janes R, Wallace B. Protein Circular Dichroism Data Bank (PCDDB): data bank and website design. Chirality. 2006;18:426-9 pubmed
- Raum K, Cleveland R, Peyrin F, Laugier P. Derivation of elastic stiffness from site-matched mineral density and acoustic impedance maps. Phys Med Biol. 2006;51:747-58 pubmed..8 and 75.4 GPa, respectively. Although SAM inspection is limited to the evaluation of carefully prepared sample surfaces, it provides a two-dimensional quantitative estimate of elastic tissue properties at the tissue level. ..
- Serduc R, Bouchet A, Bräuer Krisch E, Laissue J, Spiga J, Sarun S, et al. Synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy for rat brain tumor palliation-influence of the microbeam width at constant valley dose. Phys Med Biol. 2009;54:6711-24 pubmed publisher..The use of 50 microm wide microbeams combined with moderate peak doses resulted in a higher therapeutic ratio. ..
- Tsuda A, Filipovic N, Haberthür D, Dickie R, Matsui Y, Stampanoni M, et al. Finite element 3D reconstruction of the pulmonary acinus imaged by synchrotron X-ray tomography. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:964-76 pubmed publisher..The resulting 3D FEs are ready to be used for 3D structural analysis as well as for subsequent FE computational analyses like fluid dynamics and skeletonization. ..
- Zhang X, Xu Z, Tai R, Zhen X, Wang Y, Guo Z, et al. Ratio-contrast imaging of dual-energy absorption for element mapping with a scanning transmission X-ray microscope. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2010;17:804-9 pubmed publisher..Several examples are presented to illustrate the effectiveness of the method. ..
- Voide R, Schneider P, Stauber M, Wyss P, Stampanoni M, Sennhauser U, et al. Time-lapsed assessment of microcrack initiation and propagation in murine cortical bone at submicrometer resolution. Bone. 2009;45:164-73 pubmed publisher..We believe that this new investigation tool will be very useful to further enhance our understanding of bone failure mechanisms. ..
- Larrue A, Rattner A, Peter Z, Olivier C, Laroche N, Vico L, et al. Synchrotron radiation micro-CT at the micrometer scale for the analysis of the three-dimensional morphology of microcracks in human trabecular bone. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21297 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this technique opens new perspective for the 3D investigation of microcracks and the impact of age, disease or treatment. ..
- Chwiej J, Janeczko K, Marciszko M, Czyzycki M, Rickers K, Setkowicz Z. Neuroprotective action of FK-506 (tacrolimus) after seizures induced with pilocarpine: quantitative and topographic elemental analysis of brain tissue. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2010;15:283-9 pubmed publisher..The findings obtained in the present study suggest that the neuroprotective action of FK-506 in epileptic rat brain may involve not only the inhibition of calcineurin but also blockade of the K(+) channels. ..
- Winter G, McAuley K. Automated data collection for macromolecular crystallography. Methods. 2011;55:81-93 pubmed publisher..An overview, together with some practical advice, is presented of the current status of the automation of macromolecular crystallography (MX) data collection, with a focus on MX beamlines at Diamond Light Source, UK. ..
- Schultke E, Fiedler S, Nemoz C, Ogieglo L, Kelly M, Crawford P, et al. Synchrotron-based intra-venous K-edge digital subtraction angiography in a pig model: a feasibility study. Eur J Radiol. 2010;73:677-81 pubmed publisher..KEDSA images in radiography mode allowed the visualization of intracranial arteries of less than 1.5mm diameter. ..
- Punshon T, Guerinot M, Lanzirotti A. Using synchrotron X-ray fluorescence microprobes in the study of metal homeostasis in plants. Ann Bot. 2009;103:665-72 pubmed publisher..Further, new generation synchrotrons with smaller beam sizes and more sensitive detection systems will allow for the imaging of metal distribution ..
- Germann M, Morel A, Beckmann F, Andronache A, Jeanmonod D, Muller B. Strain fields in histological slices of brain tissue determined by synchrotron radiation-based micro computed tomography. J Neurosci Methods. 2008;170:149-55 pubmed publisher..3%. Mean deformation values for the Nissl-stained slices are determined to about 1%, whereas the myelin-stained slices yield slightly higher values than 2%. ..
- Serduc R, Van de Looij Y, Francony G, Verdonck O, van der Sanden B, Laissue J, et al. Characterization and quantification of cerebral edema induced by synchrotron x-ray microbeam radiation therapy. Phys Med Biol. 2008;53:1153-66 pubmed publisher..Both types of edema disappear within a week after microbeam exposure which may confirm the normal tissue sparing effect of MRT. ..
- Shinohara M, Yamashita T, Tawa H, Takeda M, Sasaki N, Takaya T, et al. Atherosclerotic plaque imaging using phase-contrast X-ray computed tomography. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H1094-100 pubmed..It can be a promising noninvasive technique for the investigation of plaque components and detection of unstable coronary plaques. ..
- Bert C, Rietzel E. 4D treatment planning for scanned ion beams. Radiat Oncol. 2007;2:24 pubmed..We describe the methods of our 4D treatment planning approach and demonstrate functionality of the system for phantom as well as patient data. ..
- Usami N, Maeda M, Eguchi Kasai K, Maezawa H, Kobayashi K. Radiation-induced gamma-H2AX in mammalian cells irradiated with a synchrotron X-ray microbeam. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2006;122:307-9 pubmed..Most of the fluorescent foci were observed in a localised area in cell nuclei, the size of which was almost the same as the beam size. ..
- Donoghue P, Bengtson S, Dong X, Gostling N, Huldtgren T, Cunningham J, et al. Synchrotron X-ray tomographic microscopy of fossil embryos. Nature. 2006;442:680-3 pubmed..SRXTM provides a method of non-invasive analysis that rivals the resolution achieved even by destructive methods, probing the very limits of fossilization and providing insight into embryology during the emergence of metazoan phyla. ..
- Broennimann C, Eikenberry E, Henrich B, Horisberger R, Huelsen G, Pohl E, et al. The PILATUS 1M detector. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2006;13:120-30 pubmed..5%. This allows, for the first time, determination of a refined electron density map of a macromolecular biological crystal using a silicon pixel detector. ..
- Batard E, Jamme F, Villette S, Jacqueline C, de la Cochetiere M, Caillon J, et al. Diffusion of ofloxacin in the endocarditis vegetation assessed with synchrotron radiation UV fluorescence microspectroscopy. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19440 pubmed publisher..Synchrotron radiation UV fluorescence microscopy is a new tool for assessment of antibiotic diffusion in the endocarditis vegetation bacterial masses. ..
- Castelli E, Tonutti M, Arfelli F, Longo R, Quaia E, Rigon L, et al. Mammography with synchrotron radiation: first clinical experience with phase-detection technique. Radiology. 2011;259:684-94 pubmed publisher..http://radiology.rsna.org/lookup/suppl/doi:10.1148/radiol.11100745/-/DC1. ..
- Bouchet A, Lemasson B, Le Duc G, Maisin C, Bräuer Krisch E, Siegbahn E, et al. Preferential effect of synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy on intracerebral 9L gliosarcoma vascular networks. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:1503-12 pubmed publisher..Molecular pathways of repair mechanisms in normal and tumoral vascular networks after MRT may be essential for the improvement of such differential effects on the vasculature. ..
- Chu H, Chiecko J, Punshon T, Lanzirotti A, Lahner B, Salt D, et al. Successful reproduction requires the function of Arabidopsis Yellow Stripe-Like1 and Yellow Stripe-Like3 metal-nicotianamine transporters in both vegetative and reproductive structures. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:197-210 pubmed publisher..In particular, neither AtYSL1 nor AtYSL2 is able to functionally complement the reproductive defects exhibited by ysl1ysl3 double mutant plants. ..
- Kelly J, Singh M, Stringfellow H, Walsh M, Nicholson J, Bahrami F, et al. Derivation of a subtype-specific biochemical signature of endometrial carcinoma using synchrotron-based Fourier-transform infrared microspectroscopy. Cancer Lett. 2009;274:208-17 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the application of FTIR microspectroscopy is a powerful new approach in disease diagnosis and characterisation. ..
- Adam J, Joubert A, Biston M, Charvet A, Peoc h M, Le Bas J, et al. Prolonged survival of Fischer rats bearing F98 glioma after iodine-enhanced synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;64:603-11 pubmed..Iodine-enhanced SSR is significantly improved with concomitant intracarotid infusion of iodine and mannitol for radiation doses<or=15 Gy. ..
- Cipriani F, Felisaz F, Launer L, Aksoy J, Caserotto H, Cusack S, et al. Automation of sample mounting for macromolecular crystallography. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2006;62:1251-9 pubmed..Tools for handling and transporting 50 samples in a dry shipping dewar have been developed. In addition to the SC3, the SPINE sample holder is currently compatible with a number of other robotic sample changers. ..
- Boudou C, Tropres I, Rousseau J, Lamalle L, Adam J, Esteve F, et al. Polymer gel dosimetry for synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy and iodine dose-enhancement measurements. Phys Med Biol. 2007;52:4881-92 pubmed..We demonstrate in this preliminary study that iodine-doped nPAG could be used for measuring in situ dose distributions for iodine-enhanced SSR treatment. ..
- Kohler A, Sule Suso J, Sockalingum G, Tobin M, Bahrami F, Yang Y, et al. Estimating and correcting mie scattering in synchrotron-based microscopic fourier transform infrared spectra by extended multiplicative signal correction. Appl Spectrosc. 2008;62:259-66 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that several cell components may contribute to the Mie scattering. ..
- Núñez Milland D, Baines S, Vogt S, Twining B. Quantification of phosphorus in single cells using synchrotron X-ray fluorescence. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2010;17:560-6 pubmed publisher..8- and 6.3-fold higher. The advantages and disadvantages of each grid type for elemental analysis of individual phytoplankton cells are discussed. ..
- Weon B, Je J, Hwu Y, Margaritondo G. A coherent synchrotron X-ray microradiology investigation of bubble and droplet coalescence. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2008;15:660-2 pubmed publisher..The results illustrate the remarkable effectiveness of coherent X-ray imaging in delineating interfaces in multiphase systems, in accurately measuring their geometric properties and in monitoring their dynamics. ..
- Lee W, Socha J. Direct visualization of hemolymph flow in the heart of a grasshopper (Schistocerca americana). BMC Physiol. 2009;9:2 pubmed publisher..Previously, indirect techniques have been used to infer insect heart motion and hemolymph flow, but such methods fail to reveal fine-scale kinematics of heartbeat and details of intra-heart flow patterns...
- Prezado Y, Fois G, Edouard M, Nemoz C, Renier M, Requardt H, et al. Biological equivalent dose studies for dose escalation in the stereotactic synchrotron radiation therapy clinical trials. Med Phys. 2009;36:725-33 pubmed..The biological equivalent doses and the normalized total doses received by the skull have been calculated in order to assure that the tolerance values are not reached. ..
- Miller L, Wang Q, Telivala T, Smith R, Lanzirotti A, Miklossy J. Synchrotron-based infrared and X-ray imaging shows focalized accumulation of Cu and Zn co-localized with beta-amyloid deposits in Alzheimer's disease. J Struct Biol. 2006;155:30-7 pubmed..Thus for the first time, a strong spatial correlation has been observed between elevated beta-sheet content in Abeta plaques and accumulated Cu and Zn ions, emphasizing an association of metal ions with amyloid formation in AD. ..
- Siegbahn E, Brauer Krisch E, Bravin A, Nettelbeck H, Lerch M, Rosenfeld A. MOSFET dosimetry with high spatial resolution in intense synchrotron-generated x-ray microbeams. Med Phys. 2009;36:1128-37 pubmed..Sources of discrepancies between measured and simulated doses are discussed, of which the energy dependent response of the MOSFET was shown to be among the most important. ..
- Brauer Krisch E, Serduc R, Siegbahn E, Le Duc G, Prezado Y, Bravin A, et al. Effects of pulsed, spatially fractionated, microscopic synchrotron X-ray beams on normal and tumoral brain tissue. Mutat Res. 2010;704:160-6 pubmed publisher..Details on experimental and theoretical dosimetry of microbeams, core issues and possible therapeutic applications of MRT are presented. ..
- Crosbie J, Svalbe I, Midgley S, Yagi N, Rogers P, Lewis R. A method of dosimetry for synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy using radiochromic films of different sensitivity. Phys Med Biol. 2008;53:6861-77 pubmed publisher..The microbeam collimator did not make an appreciable difference to the beam quality. The values of the peak-to-valley ratio reported in this paper are higher than those predicted by previously published Monte Carlo simulation papers. ..
- Nariyama N, Ohigashi T, Umetani K, Shinohara K, Tanaka H, Maruhashi A, et al. Spectromicroscopic film dosimetry for high-energy microbeam from synchrotron radiation. Appl Radiat Isot. 2009;67:155-9 pubmed publisher..7Gy/s, respectively. In a polymethylmethacrylate phantom, the peak-to-valley dose ratio decreased to 80 at a 1-mm depth. Doses calculated with the PENELOPE code agreed with those around the peak but became smaller in the valley. ..
- Mund S, Stampanoni M, Schittny J. Developmental alveolarization of the mouse lung. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2108-16 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alveolarization continues until young adulthood and that the maturation of the alveolar microvasculature does not preclude further alveolarization. ..
- Myojin K, Taguchi A, Umetani K, Fukushima K, Nishiura N, Matsuyama T, et al. Visualization of intracerebral arteries by synchrotron radiation microangiography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007;28:953-7 pubmed..These results indicate the potential of SR for evaluating pathologic changes in small cerebral arteries and for monitoring the impact of pro- and antiangiogenic therapeutic strategies. ..
- Saulou C, Jamme F, Maranges C, Fourquaux I, Despax B, Raynaud P, et al. Synchrotron FTIR microspectroscopy of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae after exposure to plasma-deposited nanosilver-containing coating. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010;396:1441-50 pubmed publisher..For control experiments with the organosilicon matrix alone, no antimicrobial effect was observed, which was consistent with synchrotron FTIR results and TEM observations. ..
- Miller L, Dumas P. Chemical imaging of biological tissue with synchrotron infrared light. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1758:846-57 pubmed..In this review, we describe the development of synchrotron-based FTIRM, illustrate its advantages in many applications to biological systems, and propose some potential future directions for the technique. ..
- Miles A, Wallace B. Synchrotron radiation circular dichroism spectroscopy of proteins and applications in structural and functional genomics. Chem Soc Rev. 2006;35:39-51 pubmed..In functional genomics (FG) new applications include screening for ligand binding as a means of identifying function, and examination of structural differences in mutant proteins as a means of gaining insight into function. ..