nuclear power plants
Summary: Facilities that convert NUCLEAR ENERGY into electrical energy.
- Kashima S, Inoue K, Matsumoto M. Have the tsunami and nuclear accident following the Great East Japan Earthquake affected the local distribution of hospital physicians?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178020 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the tsunami did not affect the distribution of physicians in the affected regions. However, the FDNPP accident changed physician distribution in areas close to the power plant. ..
- Ayabe Y, Hijii N, Takenaka C. Effects of local-scale decontamination in a secondary forest contaminated after the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident. Environ Pollut. 2017;228:344-353 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that the local-scale decontamination in a secondary forest had no effect on the reduction of 137Cs contamination in the treated area. ..
- Simonetto C, Azizova T, Barjaktarovic Z, Bauersachs J, Jacob P, Kaiser J, et al. A mechanistic model for atherosclerosis and its application to the cohort of Mayak workers. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175386 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, such models are applied to epidemiological data on cardiovascular diseases for the first time. ..
- Higaki S, Kurihara Y, Yoshida H, Takahashi Y, Shinohara N. Discovery of non-spherical heterogeneous radiocesium-bearing particles not derived from Unit 1 of the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant, in residences five years after the accident. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:65-70 pubmed publisher..The main elemental composition was similar to particles already reported in other studies. However, this is the first time that such particles had a clearly heterogeneous distribution. ..
- Marciulioniene D, Luksiene B, Montvydiene D, Jefanova O, Mazeika J, Taraškevičius R, et al. 137Cs and plutonium isotopes accumulation/retention in bottom sediments and soil in Lithuania: A case study of the activity concentration of anthropogenic radionuclides and their provenance before the start of operation of the Belarusian Nuclear Powe. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:253-264 pubmed publisher
- Ohba T, Hasegawa A, Kohayagawa Y, Kondo H, Suzuki G. Body Surface Contamination Levels of Residents under Different Evacuation Scenarios after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident. Health Phys. 2017;113:175-182 pubmed publisher..9 and 0.1, respectively. These data indicate that the relative contribution to inhaled thyroid dose of short-lived radionuclides in radioactive plumes released on 12 March could be as much as 37.5% in 1-y-old children. ..
- Kang S, Yoneda M, Shimada Y, Satta N, Fujita Y, Shin I. Interpreting the deposition and vertical migration characteristics of 137Cs in forest soil after the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:384 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the post-vertical distribution of 137Cs is expected to be governed by the percentage of exchangeable 137Cs in the organic layer and the organic-rich upper soil horizons. ..
- Goldenberg D, Russo M, Houser K, Crist H, Derr J, Walter V, et al. Altered molecular profile in thyroid cancers from patients affected by the Three Mile Island nuclear accident. Laryngoscope. 2017;127 Suppl 3:S1-S9 pubmed publisher..These data raise the possibility that radiation released from TMI may have altered the molecular profile of TC in the population surrounding TMI. 4 Laryngoscope, 127:S1-S9, 2017. ..
- Callen J, Homma T. Lessons Learned in Protection of the Public for the Accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Health Phys. 2017;112:550-559 pubmed publisher..The focus of this paper is those insights concerning the progression of an accident due to severe conditions at a light water reactor nuclear power plant that must be understood in order to protect the public. ..
- Xhaard C, Dumas A, Souchard V, Ren Y, Borson Chazot F, Sassolas G, et al. Are dietary reports in a case-control study on thyroid cancer biased by risk perception of Chernobyl fallout?. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2017;65:301-308 pubmed publisher..As such, these dietary reports may be used in further studies involving individual dosimetric reconstructions. ..
- Onodera M, Kirishima A, Nagao S, Takamiya K, Ohtsuki T, Akiyama D, et al. Desorption of radioactive cesium by seawater from the suspended particles in river water. Chemosphere. 2017;185:806-815 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the desorption of cesium from the suspended particles is controlled by the presence of sodium and potassium ions and the preloaded cesium concentration in the suspended particles. ..
- Sato M, Takase T, Yamaguchi K. Effects of bark washing and epiphytic moss on 137Cs activity concentration in bark and stemflow in Japanese persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.). J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:360-366 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the moss acts as reservoir of 137Cs, and that bark-washing decontamination can reduce the additional 137Cs supply from moss in subsequent years following the radioactive fallout. ..
- Wakiyama Y, Konoplev A, Wada T, Takase T, Byrnes I, Carradine M, et al. Behavior of 137Cs in ponds in the vicinity of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:367-376 pubmed publisher..Continuous monitoring is required to reveal temporal trends in 137Cs activity concentrations of these waters and controlling factors of such in closed water systems in Fukushima. ..
- Tsuda T, Lindahl L, Tokinobu A. Ethical Issues Related to the Promotion of a "100 mSv Threshold Assumption" in Japan after the Fukushima Nuclear Accident in 2011: Background and Consequences. Curr Environ Health Rep. 2017;4:119-129 pubmed publisher..Ethical problems after the accident in Fukushima can be understood from the consequences of the mistakes in both risk information and risk communication in Japan after 2011. ..