Summary: An implant used to replace one or more of the ear ossicles. They are usually made of plastic, Gelfoam, ceramic, or stainless steel.
- Wan L, Xie N, Yan X, Chen G. [Effects of ossicular reconstruction with partial ossicular replacement prosthesis in patients with tympanosclerosis]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2006;26:529-31 pubmed..05). In ossicular attic fixation, ossicular reconstruction using PORP can yield better results than mobilization of the major ossicles in patients with tympanosclerosis. ..
- Chen D, Backous D, Arriaga M, Garvin R, Kobylek D, Littman T, et al. Phase 1 clinical trial results of the Envoy System: a totally implantable middle ear device for sensorineural hearing loss. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;131:904-16 pubmed..The feasibility trial has shown the Envoy device, a totally implantable middle ear device, can safely sense and drive the ossicular chain. B-2. ..
- Beleites T, Bornitz M, Offergeld C, Neudert M, Huttenbrink K, Zahnert T. [Experimental investigations on middle ear prostheses with an integrated micro joint]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2007;86:649-54 pubmed..Moreover, the bionic modification of a TORP reflects the remaining possibilities for further improvements in prosthetic reconstruction. ..
- Durko M, Kaczmarczyk D, Durko T. Revision stapes surgery: retrospective analysis of surgical findings in a series of 21 otosclerosis patients. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;65:273-7 pubmed..2) Obliteration of the stapes footplate after small fenestra operation was observed to be the most frequent indication for the secondary stapes procedure in our patient groups. ..
- Sim J, Chatzimichalis M, Roosli C, Laske R, Huber A. Objective assessment of stapedotomy surgery from round window motion measurement. Ear Hear. 2012;33:e24-31 pubmed publisher..It may also have potential for providing ways to assess other middle- and inner-ear surgeries, and to study other aspects of hearing science. ..
- Araújo C, Araújo N, Daher E, Oliveira J, Kubrusly M, Duarte P, et al. Resolution of hypercalcemia and acute kidney injury after treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis without the use of corticosteroids. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;88:592-5 pubmed publisher..The patient was discharged with normal calcium levels and renal function. ..
- Welling D, Merrell J, Merz M, Dodson E. Predictive factors in pediatric stapedectomy. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:1515-9 pubmed..Outcomes for congenital or otosclerosis fixation more nearly matched the outcomes in the literature for adult series. ..
- Nevoux J, Moya Plana A, Chauvin P, Denoyelle F, Garabedian E. Total ossiculoplasty in children: predictive factors and long-term follow-up. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;137:1240-6 pubmed publisher..Long-term hearing outcomes are stable and satisfactory, but luxation can occur at any time. Preoperative ABG and footplate status are negative predictive factors of auditory results. ..
- Bance M, Morris D, Vanwijhe R, Kiefte M, Funnell W. Comparison of the mechanical performance of ossiculoplasty using a prosthetic malleus-to-stapes head with a tympanic membrane-to-stapes head assembly in a human cadaveric middle ear model. Otol Neurotol. 2004;25:903-9 pubmed..Both types of reconstruction will be affected by tension of the prosthesis...
- Vassbotn F, Møller P, Silvola J. Short-term results using Kurz titanium ossicular implants. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;264:21-5 pubmed..The combination of CWD and Torp gave significant inferior hearing thresholds as compared to Torp/CWU and Porp/CWD combinations. ..
- Doi K, Nishimura H, Ohta Y, Kubo T. Stapes surgery in Japanese patients with osteogenesis imperfecta. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;65:226-30 pubmed..These data indicate that stapes surgery in OI can be performed safely with comparable functional predictability as in otosclerosis. ..
- Schneider K, Hagen R. [Are titanium implants superior to gold implants in the tympanic cavity?]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2003;82:486-9 pubmed..The functional results of both materials are comparable. Due to the high extruding rates of gold prostheses titanium is clearly superior. ..
- Guyot J, Sakbani K. Patients' lives following stapedectomy complications. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;65:348-52 pubmed..In order to better assist patients in choosing amongst options, we have taken action and modified our approach in advising our patients eligible for stapedotomy procedures. ..
- Berenholz L, Lippy W, Harell M. Revision stapedectomy in Israel. Otol Neurotol. 2002;23:850-3 pubmed..Although success was less than in primary stapedectomy, the results justified revisions. Hearing gains were dependent on surgical findings, the number of previous revisions, and associated ossicular problems. ..
- RÃ©vÃ©sz P, Szanyi I, RÃ¡th G, Bocskai T, Lujber L, Piski Z, et al. Comparison of hearing results following the use of NiTiBOND versus Nitinol prostheses in stapes surgery: a retrospective controlled study reporting short-term postoperative results. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;273:1131-6 pubmed publisher..Laser application allowed manipulation in a bloodless environment and avoided manual crimping of the incus. ..
- Colletti V, Carner M, Colletti L. TORP vs round window implant for hearing restoration of patients with extensive ossicular chain defect. Acta Otolaryngol. 2009;129:449-52 pubmed publisher..The extrusion rates for T-TORP were low. So far no extrusion has been observed for RWI. Hearing results were statistically much better for RWI vs T-TORP for all investigated parameters. ..
- Vogt J, Brandes G, Ehlert N, Behrens P, Nolte I, Mueller P, et al. Free Bioverit II implants coated with a nanoporous silica layer in a mouse ear model-- a histological study. J Biomater Appl. 2009;24:175-91 pubmed publisher..Additionally, by gene expression analysis a more detailed insight into cellular interactions of the middle ear is offered. ..
- Praetorius M. [Active middle ear implants: more than "just" a hearing aid]. HNO. 2007;55:681-3 pubmed
- Govil N, Kaffenberger T, Shaffer A, Chi D. Factors influencing hearing outcomes in pediatric patients undergoing ossicular chain reconstruction. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;99:60-65 pubmed publisher..034, p = 0.038). In our experience, children with titanium prostheses had better hearing outcomes than those with other materials, and children with PORP had better hearing outcomes than those with TORP. ..
- Huttenbrink K, Zahnert T, Beutner D, Hofmann G. [The cartilage guide: a solution for anchoring a columella-prosthesis on footplate]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2004;83:450-6 pubmed..The stabilization of the columella with a cartilage-guide might solve one of the many problems with unsatisfactory hearing results after the reconstruction of a completely destroyed ossicular chain. ..
- Fritsch M, Gutt J. Ferromagnetic movements of middle ear implants and stapes prostheses in a 3-T magnetic resonance field. Otol Neurotol. 2005;26:225-30 pubmed..Preference should be given to platinum and titanium implants in manufacturing processes and surgical selection. ..
- Maier H, Salcher R, Schwab B, Lenarz T. The effect of static force on round window stimulation with the direct acoustic cochlea stimulator. Hear Res. 2013;301:115-24 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled "MEMRO 2012"...
- Ozüer M, Olgun L, Gultekin G. Revision stapes surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146:109-13 pubmed publisher..In the present study, improvement in pure-tone average was 13.2 dB, and the mean air-bone gap was 9.6 dB. ..
- Ho K, Tsai S, Chai C, Wang H. Clinical analysis of intratympanic tympanosclerosis: etiology, ossicular chain findings, and hearing results of surgery. Acta Otolaryngol. 2010;130:370-4 pubmed publisher..The success rate (57.5%) in this study is not high for surgical treatment of tympanosclerosis, and therefore lends further evidence that intratympanic tympanosclerosis has been considered intractable for reconstructive surgery...
- Lehrer J. The criteria for malleus removal in ossicular chain reconstruction. Otol Neurotol. 2005;26:318; author reply 318 pubmed
- Lim L, Del Prado J, Xiang L, Yusof A, Loo J. Vibrant Soundbridge middle ear implantations: experience at National University Hospital Singapore. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2012;269:2137-43 pubmed publisher..Subjective benefits were consistent with objective improvements. Pre-operative counseling for realistic expectations is important, especially for patients with SNHL. ..
- Berenholz L, Burkey J, Lippy W. Short- and long-term results of ossicular reconstruction using partial and total plastipore prostheses. Otol Neurotol. 2013;34:884-9 pubmed publisher..7 dB. The total ossiculoplasty cases had a 6.3 dB air-bone gap decline, which is less than a 1.5 dB decrease per year. ..
- Wiet R, Battista R, Wiet R, Sabin A. Hearing outcomes in stapes surgery: a comparison of fat, fascia, and vein tissue seals. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;148:115-20 pubmed publisher..Fat, fascia, and vein grafts all provide satisfactory hearing outcomes in stapedectomy. ..
- Ringeval S, Fortunier R, Forest B, Martin C. Influence of the shape and material on the behaviour of a total ossicular replacement prosthesis. Acta Otolaryngol. 2004;124:789-92 pubmed..In addition, a cylindrical prosthesis would give good results in response to an external stimulus but its very rigidity could damage the inner ear during pressure shocks. ..
- Eisler R. Mammalian sensitivity to elemental gold (Au degrees). Biol Trace Elem Res. 2004;100:1-18 pubmed..It is proposed that Au degrees toxicity to mammals is associated, in part, with formation of the more reactive Au+ and Au3+ species. ..
- Pajor A, Stańczyk R, Durko T. [Malignant neoplasms of external and middle ear]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2005;59:251-6 pubmed..A diagnosis was often made in advanced stages of neoplasms, especially for middle ear tumours, that diminished a possibility of effective treatment. ..
- Samy R, Pensak M. Revision ossiculoplasty. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2006;39:699-712, vi pubmed..Typically, reconstruction in ears with COM is more difficult than in ears without infection. This article discusses the key factors involved in successful revision OCR. ..
- Offergeld C, Kromeier J, Aschendorff A, Maier W, Klenzner T, Beleites T, et al. Rotational tomography of the normal and reconstructed middle ear in temporal bones: an experimental study. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;264:345-51 pubmed..Following these experimental results it will be our future work to evaluate this method in clinical practise. ..
- Seidman M, Standring R, Ahsan S, Marzo S, Shohet J, Lumley C, et al. Normative data of incus and stapes displacement during middle ear surgery using laser Doppler vibrometry. Otol Neurotol. 2013;34:1719-24 pubmed publisher..To report normative data for incus and stapes motion using laser Doppler vibrometry (LDV) during middle ear surgery and to discuss possible limitations of the procedure...
- Filipo R, Attanasio G, Barbaro M, Viccaro M, Musacchio A, Cappelli G, et al. Distortion product otoacoustic emissions in otosclerosis: intraoperative findings. Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;65:133-6 pubmed..The results of our study show that DPOAEs cannot replace behavioral threshold tests; they may only be included in a battery of tests for a complete clinical follow-up for efficiency monitoring after stapes surgery...
- Mills R, Williams A. Early experience with the Mills sleeve prosthesis for reconstruction of the incus long process. J Laryngol Otol. 2004;118:263-6 pubmed..For the current follow-up period (three months to three years) the Mills sleeve prosthesis appears to be safe and easy to use with audiological results at least as good as other reconstructive techniques. ..
- Todt I, Wagner J, Goetze R, Scholz S, Seidl R, Ernst A. MRI scanning in patients implanted with a Vibrant Soundbridge. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:1532-5 pubmed publisher..MRI scanning with an implanted Vibrant Soundbridge has possible major side effects, but did not affect cochlear function in this series. ..
- Dhanasekar G, Khan H, Malik N, Wilson F, Raut V. Ossiculoplasty: a UK survey. J Laryngol Otol. 2006;120:903-7 pubmed..3 per cent). The majority of the consultants (50.8 per cent) performed less than 10 ossiculoplasties per year. This is the first survey on ossiculoplasty surgery in the United Kingdom. ..
- Bauknecht H, Jach C, Krug L, Schrom T. [Behaviour of titanium middle ear implants at 1.5 and 3 Tesla field strength in magnetic resonance imaging]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2009;88:236-40 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the indication for examination at 3 TF should be carefully considered due to the anatomically sensitive region. ..
- Marsella P, Scorpecci A, D Eredità R, Della Volpe A, Malerba P. Stability of osseointegrated bone conduction systems in children: a pilot study. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:797-803 pubmed publisher..The possibility of an earlier processor loading remains to be confirmed in a greater sample. ..
- Schwab B, Salcher R, Maier H, Kontorinis G. Oval window membrane vibroplasty for direct acoustic cochlear stimulation: treating severe mixed hearing loss in challenging middle ears. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:804-9 pubmed publisher..The preliminary results show that OWMV is a promising and safe option for treating moderate and severe hearing loss, even in challenging cases with previous middle ear operations or fixed stapes footplate. ..
- Barbara M, Manni V, Monini S. Totally implantable middle ear device for rehabilitation of sensorineural hearing loss: preliminary experience with the Esteem, Envoy. Acta Otolaryngol. 2009;129:429-32 pubmed publisher..A postoperative hearing gain could be measured in all three patients: in this regard, the perceived quality of sound was shown to be better than could be expected by the measurable hearing gain. ..
- Kwacz M, Sołyga M, Mrówka M, Kamieniecki K. New chamber stapes prosthesis - A preliminary assessment of the functioning of the prototype. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178133 pubmed publisher..5 kHz. Based on the results, it can be surmised that stapedotomy with a chamber stapes prosthesis could provide better hearing results in comparison with the piston-stapedotomy. ..
- Foyt D, Carfrae M. Minimal access surgery for the Symphonix/Med-El Vibrant Soundbridge middle ear hearing implant. Otol Neurotol. 2006;27:167-71 pubmed..The technique may make the device more accessible to individuals who have concerns regarding cosmetics and potential flap complications. ..
- Li X, Sun J, Jiang W, Liu X. [Effect on cochlea function by tissue-engineering ossicle prosthesis containing controlled release bone morphogenetic protein 2 transplanted into acoustic bulla in guinea pig]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;44:490-3 pubmed..This kind of material doesn't affect the shape of the bulla and the hearing threshold of the cochlea, moreover, they doesn't induce the abnormal hyperplasia of bone in the bulla and might be used to reconstruct the defects of ossicles. ..
- Gouveris H, Toth M, Koutsimpelas D, Schmidtmann I, Mann W. Short-term hearing results after primary stapedotomy with nitinol and teflon-platinum prostheses for otosclerosis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;270:2201-5 pubmed publisher..Use of the teflon-platinum prosthesis results in statistically non-significant better ABG closure at 0.25-4 kHz 1 year postoperatively than the use of the nitinol prosthesis. ..
- Yung M. Titanium prosthesis with malleus notch: a study of its 'user-friendliness'. J Laryngol Otol. 2007;121:938-42 pubmedUser-friendliness' is an important factor in the choice of ossicular prosthesis. The current titanium prostheses have a flat, open head plate and are designed to sit under the tympanic membrane...
- Ho S, Battista R, Wiet R. Early results with titanium ossicular implants. Otol Neurotol. 2003;24:149-52 pubmed..The extrusion rate seems quite low if cartilage interposition graft is inserted. Its ease of handling, biocompatible properties, and sound conducting properties improve its efficacy as an ossicular implant. ..
- Henry E, Brown T, Bartlett C, Massoud E, Bance M. Informed consent in otologic surgery: prospective randomized study comparing risk recall with an illustrated handout and a nonillustrated handout. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;37:273-8 pubmed..The illustrated handout did not improve long-term recall (p = .674). Pictorial cues do not improve recall of surgical risks, but education level does. ..
- Altuna Mariezcurrena X, Algaba Guimerá J, Bolinaga Zubizarreta U. [The Esteem hearing implant by Envoy Medical]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2008;59 Suppl 1:33-4 pubmed..The processed vibratory signal is then delivered by another piezoelectric transducer (the driver) to the stapes capitulum. ..
- Edfeldt L, Rask Andersen H. Round window vibroplasty in chronic ear surgery: comparison with conventional hearing rehabilitation. Acta Otolaryngol. 2013;133:814-25 pubmed publisher..One patient was re-implanted due to accidental damage to the electrode. In all patients, the pertinent functional hearing results were achieved and were comparable to previous rehabilitation results. ..
- Yung M. Literature review of alloplastic materials in ossiculoplasty. J Laryngol Otol. 2003;117:431-6 pubmed