Summary: A prosthetic appliance for the replacement of areas of the mandible missing or defective as a result of deformity, disease, injury, or surgery.
- Pigno M, Funk J. Prosthetic management of a total glossectomy defect after free flap reconstruction in an edentulous patient: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2003;89:119-22 pubmed..It also discusses some issues involved in the prosthetic management of the total glossectomy patient. ..
- Coletti D, Ord R, Liu X. Mandibular reconstruction and second generation locking reconstruction plates: outcome of 110 patients. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:960-3 pubmed publisher..It also provides osseous support for the plate, reducing the time frame the plate endures load bearing, and minimizing the risk of plate fracture. ..
- Zapata U, Elsalanty M, Dechow P, Opperman L. Biomechanical configurations of mandibular transport distraction osteogenesis devices. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2010;16:273-83 pubmed publisher..In addition, the present work provides a framework for both the biomechanical conception of new devices and the modification of existing ones. ..
- Thickett E, Hirani S, Williams A, Hodgkins J. A prospective evaluation assessing the effectiveness of the 'Dynamax' mandibular appliance in the management of obstructive sleep apnoea. Surgeon. 2009;7:14-7 pubmed..It can be fashioned in orthodontic departments available in all district general hospitals and will enhance the provision and development of any local sleep service. ..
- Semkin V, Liashev I. [Displacement of the titanium endoprosthesis of the mandibular condyle process towards the middle cranial fossa and method for its repair]. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 2002;81:41-3 pubmed..This case is presented as a proof of the efficiency of a complete TMJ endoprosthesis. ..
- Shaw R, Kanatas A, Lowe D, Brown J, Rogers S, Vaughan E. Comparison of miniplates and reconstruction plates in mandibular reconstruction. Head Neck. 2004;26:456-63 pubmed..Thus, the decision to use reconstruction or miniplates is not dependent on the rate of plate complications. ..
- Singare S, Dichen L, Bingheng L, Yanpu L, Zhenyu G, Yaxiong L. Design and fabrication of custom mandible titanium tray based on rapid prototyping. Med Eng Phys. 2004;26:671-6 pubmed..The clinical experience showed that rapid prototyping and reverse engineering software are effective methods of fabricating custom trays for mandibular reconstruction after bone loss due to a tumor. ..
- Levine J, Bae J, Soares M, Brecht L, Saadeh P, Ceradini D, et al. Jaw in a day: total maxillofacial reconstruction using digital technology. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;131:1386-91 pubmed publisher..In the right situation, total mandibular reconstruction is possible in a single stage. This is demonstrated by the successful outcomes of these patients. Therapeutic, V. ..
- Schupp W, Arzdorf M, Linke B, Gutwald R. Biomechanical testing of different osteosynthesis systems for segmental resection of the mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65:924-30 pubmed..4 systems, and good contouring is difficult to achieve. Therefore, we consider the Unilock 2.4 system with locking screws the best choice. ..
- Wong R, Lee S, Tideman H, Merkx M, Jansen J, Liao K. Effect of replacement of mandibular defects with a modular endoprosthesis on bone mineral density in a monkey model. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011;40:633-9 pubmed publisher..Loss of BMD in the peri-implant region of a modular endoprosthesis for mandibular replacement is minimal up to 6 months postoperatively, provided the device remains stable and well-fixed. ..
- Lowmunkong R, Sohmura T, Takahashi J, Suzuki Y, Matsuya S, Ishikawa K. Transformation of 3DP gypsum model to HA by treating in ammonium phosphate solution. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2007;80:386-93 pubmed..With the present method, it is possible to transform the fabricated gypsum by 3D printing that is adaptive to the osseous defect into HA prostheses or scaffold. ..
- Ciocca L, Caldari M, Baldissara P, Scotti R. The prosthetically guided osteodistraction of the mandible in the microvascular bone reconstruction after cancer surgery. Minerva Stomatol. 2006;55:145-9 pubmed..This device may be used to establish the end of the osteo-distraction in respect to the vertical dimension of the definitive occlusion. ..
- Iwai S, Moriyama T, Amekawa S, Katagiri W, Nakazawa M, Yura Y. A modified repositioning system for segmental resection of the mandible. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006;35:270-3 pubmed..This system has been used successfully in more than 10 patients, with no complications. ..
- Mahdian N, Dostálová T, Danĕk J, Nedoma J, Kohout J, Hubáček M, et al. 3D reconstruction of TMJ after resection of the cyst and the stress-strain analyses. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2013;110:279-89 pubmed publisher..This article provides medical part with case report, discretion of treatment, than the methods of mathematical modeling and his possibilities are described and finally results are reported. ..
- Borgersen A, Skatvedt O, Akre H. Does the oral device Noiselezz prevent sleep apnoea?. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl. 2000;543:179-82 pubmed..Most patients found the oral device "Noiselezz" inconvenient to use, and our results show that the device has little or no effect on snoring and sleep apnoea. ..
- Guerrissi J, Miranda M, Olivier R. Giant hemangiopericytoma of mandible: a propos of a case: a variant of the surgical technique for protection of the articular fosse. J Craniofac Surg. 2006;17:523-7 pubmed..Two years after surgery, good aesthetic and functional results were evident, and tumor recurrence was not observed...
- Kovan V. The development of a new mandibular osteosynthesis plate: an application of the Ashby approach. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2011;225:199-205 pubmed..Finally, the project was completed by manufacturing the plates and conducting static mechanical experiments of the developed plates. The mandibular osteosynthesis plates developed here are shown to exhibit improved mechanical stability. ..
- Goh B, Lee S, Tideman H, Stoelinga P. Replacement of the condyle and ascending ramus by a modular endoprosthesis in Macaca fascicularis--part 1: a clinical and radiographic study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67:1392-400 pubmed publisher..Further histologic and microfocus computed tomographic studies will be done to confirm the findings. ..
- Tominaga K, Yoshioka I, Yamashita Y, Habu M, Iwanaga K, Khanal A, et al. A novel modification of a bone repositioning device and a new technique for reestablishing facial contours after mandibular resection surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:377-81 pubmed publisher..The advantage of this technique is its simplicity and flexibility compared with other methods of bone positioning during mandibular segmental surgery. ..
- Botabaev B. [Effect of osteoinductors on osseous tissue reparation in ageing]. Adv Gerontol. 2007;20:106-8 pubmed..Experimental study on old animals showed that osseous defects of the lower jaw, filled with granules of GAP-99 osteoinductor, were completely replaced with new osseous tissue by the 90th day of the experiment. ..
- Lee S, Goh B, Tideman H, Stoelinga P, Jansen J. Modular endoprosthesis for mandibular body reconstruction: a clinical, micro-CT and histologic evaluation in eight Macaca fascicularis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:40-7 pubmed publisher..The results are encouraging, but a longer period of follow-up is required to assess its application in a clinical setting, and some design drawbacks need to be addressed. ..
- Chowdhury A, Kashi A, Saha S. A comparison of stress distributions for different surgical procedures, screw dimensions and orientations for a Temporomandibular joint implant. J Biomech. 2011;44:2584-7 pubmed publisher..The distance between screw holes in the parallel orientation was much closer when compared to the zig-zag orientation. However, the stresses in bone near the screw hole area for the parallel orientation were within acceptable limits. ..
- Siddiqi A, Duncan W, De Silva R, Zafar S. One-Piece Zirconia Ceramic versus Titanium Implants in the Jaw and Femur of a Sheep Model: A Pilot Study. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:6792972 pubmed publisher..Further clinical trials are recommended to evaluate the performance of zirconia implants under loading conditions. ..
- Goh B, Lee S, Tideman H, Jansen J, Stoelinga P. Replacement of the condyle and ascending ramus by a modular endoprosthesis in Macaca fascicularis--part 4: evaluation of the temporomandibular joints. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;68:2136-45 pubmed publisher..Long-term studies are required to further assess the potential of this mode of reconstruction. ..
- Marukawa E, Asahina I, Oda M, Seto I, Alam M, Enomoto S. Functional reconstruction of the non-human primate mandible using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002;31:287-95 pubmed..Bone regeneration induced by rhBMP-2 holds promise as a future therapy and may be an effective alternative to autogenous bone grafts for implant dentistry and reconstructive surgery. ..
- Liu Y, Gong Z, He L, Zhao J, Yu B, Zhang H. [Individual digital design and functional reconstruction of large mandibular defect with computer-aided design/computer aided manufacture technique]. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2005;19:803-6 pubmed..Individual design and repair of large mandibular defect with CAD/CAM techniques is worth extending application clinically. It is a simple and accurate method. ..
- Hirota M, Matsui Y, Mizuki N, Saito T, Watanuki K, Iwai T, et al. Management considerations in reconstruction of postablative defects of the mandible: vertical distraction of a scapular bone flap and removable lip support: a case report. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:e6-9 pubmed publisher..A removable lip support was also useful as a supplementary tool for oral rehabilitation. ..
- Huh J, Choi B, Zhu S, Jung J, Lee S, You T, et al. Bridging mandibular continuity defects with miniplates: an experimental study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;102:307-11 pubmed..The results of this study indicate that using a combination of double miniplates and bicortical screws to bridge defects after mandibular resection produces stable and predictable results. ..
- Baldassarri M, Bonfante E, Suzuki M, Marin C, Granato R, Tovar N, et al. Mechanical properties of human bone surrounding plateau root form implants retrieved after 0.3-24 years of function. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2012;100:2015-21 pubmed publisher..3). This work suggests that human cortical bone around plateau root form implants presents an increase in elastic modulus and hardness during the first 5 years following implantation and presents stable mechanical properties thereafter. ..
- Daniel E, Browne J. Minimizing complications in the use of titanium condylar head reconstruction prostheses. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130:344-50 pubmed..Titanium condylar prostheses are a viable choice in the setting of tumor resection and reconstruction, with appropriate technical precautions. ..
- Crezoit G, Gadegbeku S, Ouattara B, Bile J. [Retrospective analysis of 30 cases of mandibular ameloblastoma operated in the Ivory coast from 1992 to 2000]. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac. 2003;104:25-8 pubmed..Further study in a larger series would be needed to determine the cause of failure after immediate reconstruction. ..
- Ozturk S, Sengezer M, Isik S, Gul D, Zor F. The correction of auricular and mandibular deformities in auriculo-condylar syndrome. J Craniofac Surg. 2005;16:489-92 pubmed..The auricular deformities are treated by local flaps and anterior scoring. The mandibular contour deformity is corrected by porous polyethylene implant. Both reconstructions were successful, and patient satisfaction was good. ..
- Pogrel M, Schmidt B. Reconstruction of the mandibular ramus/condyle unit following resection of benign and aggressive lesions of the mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65:801-4 pubmed
- Zwetyenga N, Siberchicot F, Emparanza A. Reconstruction of large mandibular and surrounding soft-tissue defects using distraction with bone transport. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41:1215-22 pubmed publisher..Osteogenic distraction with bone transport allows total or partial restoration of oral function, provides an acceptable appearance, and enables patients to resume a reasonable quality of life. ..
- Zhou L, Shang H, He L, Bo B, Liu G, Liu Y, et al. Accurate reconstruction of discontinuous mandible using a reverse engineering/computer-aided design/rapid prototyping technique: a preliminary clinical study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;68:2115-21 pubmed publisher..However, the rigidity of the cast tray could cause severe stress shielding to the grafts, which could lead to disuse atrophy. Therefore, some modification is needed for functional reconstruction. ..
- Kolk A, Sader R, Zeilhofer H, Becker I, Westermark A, Horch H. [Condylar reconstruction after resection of an intracapsular stomach carcinoma metastasis]. Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir. 2003;7:306-10 pubmed..Due to the mating of the spherical condylar head and glenoid fossa, the modified Quinn prosthesis is very suitable for total joint replacement after extended resection or in multiply preoperated cases. ..
- Semkin V, Rabukhina N, Karaian A, Liashev I. [Results of prosthetic treatment of the temporomandibular joint at the Central Institute of Dentistry]. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 2002;81:30-2 pubmed..Types of condylar process endoprostheses are described. The most characteristic complications of the immediate and late postoperative periods are described. ..
- Cunningham L, Madsen M, Peterson G. Stereolithographic modeling technology applied to tumor resection. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:873-8 pubmed
- Sykes L. An interim extraoral prosthesis used for the rehabilitation of a patient treated for osteoradionecrosis of the mandible: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2001;86:130-4 pubmed..The prosthesis was used to improve the mastication, speech, and saliva control of a patient treated for osteoradionecrosis of the mandible. ..
- Ferretti C, Rikhotso E, Muthray E, Reyneke J. Interim reconstruction and space maintenance of mandibular continuity defects preceding definitive osseous reconstruction. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013;51:319-25 pubmed publisher..The use of a spacer promotes wound healing and simplifies and expedites secondary reconstruction of mandibular defects. ..
- Patel A, Maisel R. Condylar prostheses in head and neck cancer reconstruction. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001;127:842-6 pubmed..Metallic condylar prostheses in the setting of tumor resection and reconstruction involve significant risks. Autogenous materials, such as vascularized bone grafts, should be used whenever possible. ..
- Schepers R, Raghoebar G, Vissink A, Lahoda L, Van der Meer W, Roodenburg J, et al. Fully 3-dimensional digitally planned reconstruction of a mandible with a free vascularized fibula and immediate placement of an implant-supported prosthetic construction. Head Neck. 2013;35:E109-14 pubmed publisher..We describe a fully 3-dimensional (3D) digitally planned reconstruction of a mandible and immediate prosthetic loading with a fibula graft in a 2-step surgical approach...
- Macentee M, Walton J, Glick N. A clinical trial of patient satisfaction and prosthodontic needs with ball and bar attachments for implant-retained complete overdentures: three-year results. J Prosthet Dent. 2005;93:28-37 pubmed..Subjects were very satisfied with the new dentures, although the ball-spring attachment tested in this trial required substantially more repairs. ..
- Gellrich N, Suarez Cunqueiro M, Otero Cepeda X, Schön R, Schmelzeisen R, Gutwald R. Comparative study of locking plates in mandibular reconstruction after ablative tumor surgery: THORP versus UniLOCK system. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;62:186-93 pubmed..Considering that the THORP system is much bulkier and its screws bigger, our results lead to the conclusion that bridging osteosynthesis with a 2.4 UniLOCK system is adequate for plate reconstruction of mandibular defects. ..
- Young C, Pogrel M, Schmidt B. Quality of life in patients undergoing segmental mandibular resection and staged reconstruction with nonvascularized bone grafts. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65:706-12 pubmed..These and other findings necessitate further investigation and confirmation. ..
- Martola M, Lindqvist C, Hänninen H, Al Sukhun J. Fracture of titanium plates used for mandibular reconstruction following ablative tumor surgery. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2007;80:345-52 pubmed..To make the plates function without failure the plates should match closely with the three-dimensional shape of the mandible, to avoid any bending in the operative phase. ..
- Nomura T, Gold E, Powers M, Shingaki S, Saito C, Katz J. A clinical case report: interface analysis of a successful well-functioning transmandibular implant from a cadaver mandible. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2006;77:213-8 pubmed..Histology revealed the small area of direct contact. There is bone marrow space in the interface, with no significant fibrous tissue. We interpret these results at the interface to be because of adaptation for stress distribution. ..
- Wolff D, Hassfeld S, Hofele C. The outcome of various cements in combination with titanium reconstruction plates after segmental resection of the mandible. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;43:303-8 pubmed..014, log rank). Although silicone performed slightly better than the reconstruction plate on its own, we doubt whether any cement is necessary. ..
- Wall S, Adamson P. Surgical options for aesthetic enhancement of the neck. Facial Plast Surg. 2001;17:109-15 pubmed..This article reviews the methods used to evaluate the appearance of the mentocervical area and also outlines the algorithm used by the senior author to surgically enhance its appearance. ..
- Jamal B, Taub D, Gold L. Contralateral coronoid hyperplasia in patients undergoing hemimandibulectomy with disarticulation: a case series. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67:1821-5 pubmed publisher..We also recommend considering coronoidectomy as a treatment option for those with persistent trismus and radiographic signs of coronoid hyperplasia. ..
- Han Z, Ji T, Zhang C. [Reconstruction of mandibular defect by using Titanium mandibular prosthesis: a preliminary experimental study]. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue. 2004;13:282-5 pubmed..experiment was to investigate the possibility of application of mandibular reconstruction with titanium mandibular prosthesis. Two healthy adult goats were used in this study. Spiral CT of the mandibular region was performed...