Genomes and Genes
Summary: Artificial substitutes for body parts and materials inserted into organisms during experimental studies.
- Wake H, Mori S, Liu K, Takahashi H, Nishibori M. Histidine-rich glycoprotein inhibited high mobility group box 1 in complex with heparin-induced angiogenesis in matrigel plug assay. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;623:89-95 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggested that HRG might be an inhibitor of angiogenesis induced by growth factors with heparin binding activity and that HRG may be a potential drug for angiogenic diseases, including tumor growth. ..
- Hoover Plow J, Gong Y, Shchurin A, Busuttil S, Schneeman T, Hart E. Strain and model dependent differences in inflammatory cell recruitment in mice. Inflamm Res. 2008;57:457-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, inflammatory cell recruitment is genetically determined and stimulus specific and may determine the susceptibility to complex diseases. ..
- Beckstead B, Tung J, Liang K, Tavakkol Z, Usui M, Olerud J, et al. Methods to promote Notch signaling at the biomaterial interface and evaluation in a rafted organ culture model. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;91:436-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, Notch-signaling biomaterials provide a robust approach to control keratinocyte differentiation and may find application to other progenitor and stem cells. ..
- Ma T, Ren P, Larsen D, Suenaga E, Zilber S, Genovese M, et al. Efficacy of a p38 mitogen activated protein kinase inhibitor in mitigating an established inflammatory reaction to polyethylene particles in vivo. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;89:117-23 pubmed publisher..Using the present model, the oral p38 MAPK inhibitor was ineffective in improving bone ingrowth in the presence of polyethylene particles. ..
- Borges G, Novaes A, Grisi M, Palioto D, Taba M, de Souza S. Acellular dermal matrix as a barrier in guided bone regeneration: a clinical, radiographic and histomorphometric study in dogs. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009;20:1105-15 pubmed publisher..ADM acted as a barrier in GBR, with clinical, radiographic and histomorphometric results similar to those obtained with the bioabsorbable membrane. ..
- Lee S, Goh B, Tideman H, Stoelinga P, Jansen J. Modular endoprosthesis for mandibular body reconstruction: a clinical, micro-CT and histologic evaluation in eight Macaca fascicularis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:40-7 pubmed publisher..The results are encouraging, but a longer period of follow-up is required to assess its application in a clinical setting, and some design drawbacks need to be addressed. ..
- Sul Y, Jönsson J, Yoon G, Johansson C. Resonance frequency measurements in vivo and related surface properties of magnesium-incorporated, micropatterned and magnesium-incorporated TiUnite, Osseotite, SLA and TiOblast implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009;20:1146-55 pubmed publisher..Six groups of microstructured, screw-shaped titanium implants: two oxidized, cation-incorporated experimental implants [Mg implants and MgMp implants with micropatterned thread flanges (80-150 microm wide and 60-70 microm ..
- Spence G, Phillips S, Campion C, Brooks R, Rushton N. Bone formation in a carbonate-substituted hydroxyapatite implant is inhibited by zoledronate: the importance of bioresorption to osteoconduction. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90:1635-40 pubmed publisher..After six weeks bony ingrowth was greater in the CHA implants than in HA, but not in the animals given zoledronate. Functional osteoclasts are necessary for the enhanced osteoconduction seen in CHA compared with HA. ..
- Maimoun L, Brennan T, Badoud I, Dubois Ferriere V, Rizzoli R, Ammann P. Strontium ranelate improves implant osseointegration. Bone. 2010;46:1436-41 pubmed publisher..These current results may support potential benefits of strontium ranelate in orthopaedic and dental surgery to enhance osseointegration. ..
- King V, Alovskaya A, Wei D, Brown R, Priestley J. The use of injectable forms of fibrin and fibronectin to support axonal ingrowth after spinal cord injury. Biomaterials. 2010;31:4447-56 pubmed publisher..It therefore has promise as an injectable biomaterial for filling cavities at spinal cord injury sites. ..
- Kim J, Choi B, Li J, Xuan F, Jeong S. Blood vessels of the peri-implant mucosa: a comparison between flap and flapless procedures. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107:508-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the flapless procedure may increase the vascularity of the peri-implant mucosa. ..
- Fan Y, XIU K, Dong X, Zhang M. The influence of mechanical loading on osseointegration: an animal study. Sci China C Life Sci. 2009;52:579-86 pubmed publisher..The results support that a certain range of external loading would influence the process of osseointegration, and appropriate mechanical loading can be applied to shorten the osseointegration period after surgery. ..
- He F, Yang G, Li Y, Wang X, Zhao S. Early bone response to sandblasted, dual acid-etched and H2O2/HCl treated titanium implants: an experimental study in the rabbit. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:677-81 pubmed publisher..81, p=0.000) and 4 weeks (49.43 vs. 44.87, p=0.006) of healing. It is concluded that the H(2)O(2)/HCl heat-treated rough titanium surface promoted enhanced bone apposition during the early stages of new bone formation around the implant. ..
- Calve S, Lytle I, Grosh K, Brown D, Arruda E. Implantation increases tensile strength and collagen content of self-assembled tendon constructs. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;108:875-81 pubmed publisher..0 to 75.4 nm as a result of in vivo implantation. The tensile strength and collagen content of in vivo conditioned constructs were similar to the values determined for neonatal rat tibialis anterior tendons. ..
- Stamenković V, Keller G, Nesic D, Cogoli A, Grogan S. Neocartilage formation in 1 g, simulated, and microgravity environments: implications for tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part A. 2010;16:1729-36 pubmed publisher..Although microgravity impacts the development of in vitro generated cartilage, simulated microgravity using the RPM may be a useful tool to produce cartilaginous tissue grafts with fewer cells. ..
- Lee N, Baek S. Effects of the diameter and shape of orthodontic mini-implants on microdamage to the cortical bone. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;138:8.e1-8; discussion 8-9 pubmed publisher..5C and 1.5T, 2C and 2T). OMIs with larger diameters and tapered shapes caused greater microdamage to the cortical bone; this might affect bone remodeling and the stability of the OMIs. ..
- Zhang Z, Xi T, Wang Y, Chen X, Zhang J, Wang C, et al. In vitro study of endothelial cells lining vascular grafts grown within the recipient's peritoneal cavity. Tissue Eng Part A. 2008;14:1109-20 pubmed publisher..Careful design of the bioreactor and careful selection of the culture conditions will greatly improve the chances of producing a useful anti-thrombogenic surface for tissue-engineered small-diameter vessels...
- Rothamel D, Schwarz F, Herten M, Berndsen K, Steigmann M, Neugebauer J, et al. [Vertical augmentation of the mandible using cortico-spongious xenoblocks. A histomorphometrical study in dogs]. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed. 2008;118:1162-9 pubmed..Within the limits of the present study it was concluded that XB alone or in combination with a collagen membrane doesn't seem to be useful for vertical ridge augmentation procedures of the mandible. ..
- Baas J, Elmengaard B, Bechtold J, Chen X, Søballe K. Ceramic bone graft substitute with equine bone protein extract is comparable to allograft in terms of implant fixation: a study in dogs. Acta Orthop. 2008;79:841-50 pubmed publisher..The experiment indicates that ceramic bone substitutes may be a viable alternative to allograft when combined with an osteogenic signal such as Colloss E. ..
- Sandeman S, Jeffery H, Howell C, Smith M, Mikhalovsky S, Lloyd A. The in vitro corneal biocompatibility of hydroxyapatite-coated carbon mesh. Biomaterials. 2009;30:3143-9 pubmed publisher..The materials may also suppress excessive inflammation by adsorption of the cytokine IL-8 into the porous, internal carbon structure. ..
- Nakamura S, Kobayashi T, Nakamura M, Itoh S, Yamashita K. Electrostatic surface charge acceleration of bone ingrowth of porous hydroxyapatite/beta-tricalcium phosphate ceramics. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010;92:267-75 pubmed publisher..The electrically polarized HA/beta-TCP bone grafts with a lower porosity and a higher mechanical strength combined high osteoconductivity generated by the induced surface charges. ..
- Ohashi K, Koyama F, Tatsumi K, Shima M, Park F, Nakajima Y, et al. Functional life-long maintenance of engineered liver tissue in mice following transplantation under the kidney capsule. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2010;4:141-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results demonstrated that liver tissues could be engineered at a heterologous site while stably maintaining its functionality for nearly the life span of a normal mouse. ..
- You T, Choi B, Li J, Xuan F, Jeong S, Jang S. Morphogenesis of the peri-implant mucosa: a comparison between flap and flapless procedures in the canine mandible. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107:66-70 pubmed publisher..05). These results indicate that gingival inflammation, the height of junctional epithelium, and bone loss around nonsubmerged implants can be reduced when implants are placed without flap elevation. ..
- Hänzi A, Gerber I, Schinhammer M, Löffler J, Uggowitzer P. On the in vitro and in vivo degradation performance and biological response of new biodegradable Mg-Y-Zn alloys. Acta Biomater. 2010;6:1824-33 pubmed publisher..The new Mg-Y-Zn alloys show an interesting combination of preferred microstructural, mechanical, electrochemical and biological properties, which make them very promising for degradable implant applications...
- Jansen R, van Kuppevelt T, Daamen W, Kuijpers Jagtman A, Von den Hoff J. FGF-2-loaded collagen scaffolds attract cells and blood vessels in rat oral mucosa. J Oral Pathol Med. 2009;38:630-8 pubmed publisher..These scaffolds might therefore be highly suitable for intra-oral reconstructions, such as cleft palate repair. ..
- Ye C, Hu P, Ma M, Xiang Y, Liu R, Shang X. PHB/PHBHHx scaffolds and human adipose-derived stem cells for cartilage tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2009;30:4401-6 pubmed publisher..Collagen type II was detected by Western blot at 12 and 24 weeks of implantation. In the control group, no cartilage formation was observed. This study demonstrated that PHB/PHBHHx is a suitable material for cartilage tissue engineering...
- Jiya T, Smit T, Deddens J, Mullender M. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion using nonresorbable poly-ether-ether-ketone versus resorbable poly-L-lactide-co-D,L-lactide fusion devices: a prospective, randomized study to assess fusion and clinical outcome. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:233-7 pubmed publisher..The higher rate of subsidence and occurrence of osteolysis seen in association with PLDLLA cages in this study remain worrisome. ..
- Wang L, Wu H, Chen X, De Li L, Ji Q, Liu C, et al. Biological evaluation of a novel chitosan-PVA-based local delivery system for treatment of periodontitis. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;91:1065-76 pubmed publisher..All these results suggested that Cs2-Ms had better potentials used as core parts of the novel designed LDDS in the future developments. ..
- Oron A, Agar G, Oron U, Stein A. Correlation between rate of bony ingrowth to stainless steel, pure titanium, and titanium alloy implants in vivo and formation of hydroxyapatite on their surfaces in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;91:1006-9 pubmed publisher..The rate of bony ingrowth to various metal implants alloys inserted into the medullar canal of rats correlates well with the induction of apatite formation on them during incubation in vitro with SBF. ..
- He F, Yang G, Wang X, Zhao S. Bone responses to rough titanium implants coated with biomimetic Ca-P in rabbit tibia. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2009;90:857-63 pubmed publisher..From the histological viewpoint, the BDCaP coating did not have any positive effect on new bone formation. ..
- van Gaalen S, Dhert W, Kruyt M, Yuan H, Oner F, van Blitterswijk C, et al. Goat bone tissue engineering: comparing an intramuscular with a posterolateral lumbar spine location. Tissue Eng Part A. 2010;16:685-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cell-based bone tissue engineering in an ectopic environment was clearly effective. Similar constructs implanted in a posterolateral spine fusion location hardly showed any effect. ..
- Taga M, Granjeiro J, Cestari T, Taga R. Healing of critical-size cranial defects in guinea pigs using a bovine bone-derived resorbable membrane. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008;23:427-36 pubmed..It was concluded that the bovine bone-derived membrane is highly biocompatible and is able to promote good healing of critical-size defects in calvaria of guinea pig. ..
- De Gregorio M, Laborda A, Higuera M, Lostale F, Gómez Arrue J, Serrano C, et al. [Removal of retrievable inferior vena cava filters 90 days after implantation in an ovine model: is there a time limit for removal?]. Arch Bronconeumol. 2008;44:591-6 pubmed..Variable degrees of fibrosis were observed in the histologic study. Retrieval of GTFs 90 days after implantation in an ovine model was feasible, safe, and easy, and required little force (median, 4.2 N). ..
- Yara T, Kato Y, Kataoka H, Kanchiku T, Suzuki H, Gondo T, et al. Environmental factors involved in axonal regeneration following spinal cord transection in rats. Med Mol Morphol. 2009;42:150-4 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that collagen filament helps to reduce scar tissue, supports the expression of neurotrophic factors, and serves as a scaffold for the outgrowth of regenerating axons. ..
- Wernike E, Montjovent M, Liu Y, Wismeijer D, Hunziker E, Siebenrock K, et al. VEGF incorporated into calcium phosphate ceramics promotes vascularisation and bone formation in vivo. Eur Cell Mater. 2010;19:30-40 pubmed..Sustained release of VEGF increased the efficacy of VEGF delivery demonstrating that a prolonged bioavailability of low concentrations of VEGF is beneficial for bone regeneration. ..
- Duyck J, Corpas L, Vermeiren S, Ogawa T, Quirynen M, Vandamme K, et al. Histological, histomorphometrical, and radiological evaluation of an experimental implant design with a high insertion torque. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2010;21:877-84 pubmed publisher..Radiological analyses revealed a significantly higher bone loss around the experimental implants. Histomorphometric analyses confirmed significantly more bone loss, larger marginal bone defects, and a ..
- Conconi M, Bellini S, Teoli D, De Coppi P, Ribatti D, Nico B, et al. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of acellular diaphragmatic matrices seeded with muscle precursors cells and coated with VEGF silica gels to repair muscle defect of the diaphragm. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009;89:304-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results confirmed that our matrices contained biologically active angiogenic factors which were per se sufficient to induce neo-vessels formation, thus allowing the survival of implanted myoblasts. ..
- Jansen R, Kuijpers Jagtman A, van Kuppevelt T, Von den Hoff J. Collagen scaffolds implanted in the palatal mucosa. J Craniofac Surg. 2008;19:599-608 pubmed publisher..The scaffolds were gradually integrated within the host tissue and only elicited a mild and transient inflammatory response. The scaffolds were biocompatible and seemed to be promising for future applications in cleft palate surgery. ..
- Kempe S, Metz H, MADER K. Do in situ forming PLG/NMP implants behave similar in vitro and in vivo? A non-invasive and quantitative EPR investigation on the mechanisms of the implant formation process. J Control Release. 2008;130:220-5 pubmed publisher..The replacement of the organic solvent NMP by water was determined by polarity shifts within the implant and could be quantified. Both the kinetic of NMP-water exchange and polymer precipitation showed good in vitro-in vivo correlation. ..
- Helgason B, Viceconti M, Rúnarsson T, Brynjólfsson S. On the mechanical stability of porous coated press fit titanium implants: a finite element study of a pushout test. J Biomech. 2008;41:1675-81 pubmed publisher..This would eventually enhance the much needed understanding of the mechanical response of the bone implant interface and help to quantify how implant stability evolves with time. ..
- Giannoni P, Scaglione S, Daga A, Ilengo C, Cilli M, Quarto R. Short-time survival and engraftment of bone marrow stromal cells in an ectopic model of bone regeneration. Tissue Eng Part A. 2010;16:489-99 pubmed publisher..1% of the seeded BMSCs 2 months after implantation. Thus culturing conditions may reduce the apoptotic overload of seeded osteoprogenitors, strengthening the constructs' osteogenic potential. ..
- Elvin C, Danon S, Brownlee A, White J, Hickey M, Liyou N, et al. Evaluation of photo-crosslinked fibrinogen as a rapid and strong tissue adhesive. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010;93:687-95 pubmed publisher..This biomaterial system may find useful applications in surgical procedures where rapid curing and/or high strength tissue sealing is required. ..
- Vaz M, Krebs R, Trindade E, Trindade M. Fibroplasia after polypropylene mesh implantation for abdominal wall hernia repair in rats. Acta Cir Bras. 2009;24:19-25 pubmed..The prolonged healing inflammatory response and the persistence of chronic inflammation surrounding to the mesh did not affect the length of time required for fibroplasia. ..
- Veltri M, Balleri B, Goracci C, Giorgetti R, Balleri P, Ferrari M. Soft bone primary stability of 3 different miniscrews for orthodontic anchorage: a resonance frequency investigation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009;135:642-8 pubmed publisher..05). The resonance frequency analysis is applicable to comparatively assess the primary stability of orthodontic miniscrews. The 3 systems had similar outcomes in an experimental model of soft bone. ..
- Wang J, Chen J, Zhang X. [Nacre-induced osteogenesis in the femoral condyles of New Zealand rabbits]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2009;29:220-3 pubmed..T Obvious osteogenesis occurred in the femoral condyles after nacre powder implantation in New Zealand rabbits. Nacre powder has slow biodegradation in vivo and induces osteogenesis by osteoinduction. ..
- Stadelmann V, Gauthier O, Terrier A, Bouler J, Pioletti D. Implants delivering bisphosphonate locally increase periprosthetic bone density in an osteoporotic sheep model. A pilot study. Eur Cell Mater. 2008;16:10-6 pubmed..The results of this trial study support the claim that local zoledronate could increase the fixation of an implant in weak bone. ..