Genomes and Genes
culture diffusion chambers
Summary: Devices used in a technique by which cells or tissues are grown in vitro or, by implantation, in vivo within chambers permeable to diffusion of solutes across the chamber walls. The chambers are used for studies of drug effects, osmotic responses, cytogenic and immunologic phenomena, metabolism, etc., and include tissue cages.
- Wu J, Liu W, Xue C, Zhou S, Lan F, Bi L, et al. Toxicity and penetration of TiO2 nanoparticles in hairless mice and porcine skin after subchronic dermal exposure. Toxicol Lett. 2009;191:1-8 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the present study indicates that nanosize TiO(2) may pose a health risk to human after dermal exposure over a relative long time period. ..
- Sandrasagra S, Cuffe J, Regardsoe E, Korbmacher C. PGE2 stimulates Cl- secretion in murine M-1 cortical collecting duct cells in an autocrine manner. Pflugers Arch. 2004;448:411-21 pubmed..We conclude that M-1 cells express functional cyclooxygenase activity and can generate PGE2 which acts in an autocrine manner, causing Cl- secretion. ..
- Champagne C, Yoshinari N, Oetjen J, Riché E, Beck J, Offenbacher S. Gender differences in systemic inflammation and atheroma formation following Porphyromonas gingivalis infection in heterozygous apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. J Periodontal Res. 2009;44:569-77 pubmed publisher..40, p < 0.01). In these young mice, P. gingivalis infection induced sex-specific changes in serum lipids but no gender differences in acute phase proteins and atheroma lesion score. ..
- dal Belo S, Gaspar L, Maia Campos P, Marty J. Skin penetration of epigallocatechin-3-gallate and quercetin from green tea and Ginkgo biloba extracts vehiculated in cosmetic formulations. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2009;22:299-304 pubmed publisher..17 microg/cm(2)). Finally, it can be concluded that EGCG and quercetin from green tea and G. biloba extracts vehiculated in cosmetic formulations presented good skin penetration and retention, which can favor their skin effects...
- Wu D, Zhang G, Shen C, Zhao Q, Li H, Meng Q. Evaluation of diffusion in gel entrapment cell culture within hollow fibers. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:1599-604 pubmed..1 mum than that in hollow fibers with MWCO of 100 ku. Cell-matrix gel and membrane pore size are the two factors relevant to the limited mass transfer by diffusion in such gel entrapment of mammalian cell culture. ..
- Netzlaff F, Kostka K, Lehr C, Schaefer U. TEWL measurements as a routine method for evaluating the integrity of epidermis sheets in static Franz type diffusion cells in vitro. Limitations shown by transport data testing. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2006;63:44-50 pubmed..Therefore, TEWL measurements appears to be of limited use as a barrier integrity test for human HSE in in vitro test systems. ..
- Kirschner D, Wilson A, Drew K, Green T. Simultaneous efflux of endogenous D-ser and L-glu from single acute hippocampus slices during oxygen glucose deprivation. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:2812-20 pubmed publisher..L-glutamine efflux was shown to decrease significantly in response to OGD. The microperfusion/CE-LIF approach shows several promising attributes for studying endogenous chemical efflux from single, acute brain slices. ..
- Hao J, Smith K, Li S. Iontophoretically enhanced ciclopirox delivery into and across human nail plate. J Pharm Sci. 2009;98:3608-16 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that iontophoresis was able to deliver an effective amount of CIC into and across the nails, and this suggests the feasibility of a constant voltage battery-powered transungual iontophoretic device. ..
- Melero A, Garrigues T, Almudever P, Villodre A, Lehr C, Schafer U. Nortriptyline hydrochloride skin absorption: development of a transdermal patch. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;69:588-96 pubmed publisher..The NTH-TDS based on the combination of ethanol/PG/OA showed an enhancement ratio with respect to control of 2.09 and the addition of polysorbate 80 to the matrix, of 5.82. ..
- Wang L, Kisaalita W. Characterization of micropatterned nanofibrous scaffolds for neural network activity readout for high-throughput screening. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010;94:238-49 pubmed publisher..More work is needed to establish biological network activity-MNFS architecture relationships. ..
- Diaz Del Consuelo I, Falson F, Guy R, Jacques Y. Ex vivo evaluation of bioadhesive films for buccal delivery of fentanyl. J Control Release. 2007;122:135-40 pubmed
- Kao M, Huang C. Acne vaccines targeting Propionibacterium acnes. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2009;144:639-43 pubmed..This approach can also be utilized in future studies in developing therapeutic acne vaccines and designing possible combined treatment of acne vaccine with alternative acne treatments. ..
- Li S, Higuchi W, Kochambilli R, Zhu H. Mechanistic studies of flux variability of neutral and ionic permeants during constant current dc iontophoresis with human epidermal membrane. Int J Pharm. 2004;273:9-22 pubmed
- Stefanidis I, Liakopoulos V, Kourti P, Zarogiannis S, Poultsidi A, Mertems P, et al. Amiloride-sensitive sodium channels on the parietal human peritoneum: evidence by ussing-type chamber experiments. ASAIO J. 2007;53:335-8 pubmed
- Nakamura T, Yamada M, Teshima M, Nakashima M, To H, Ichikawa N, et al. Electrophysiological characterization of tight junctional pathway of rabbit cornea treated with ophthalmic ingredients. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007;30:2360-4 pubmed..In this method, electrophysiological conductance must be able to predict corneal tight junction permeability and the corneal cytotoxicity of ingredients. ..
- Zhu W, Yu A, Wang W, Dong R, Wu J, Zhai G. Formulation design of microemulsion for dermal delivery of penciclovir. Int J Pharm. 2008;360:184-90 pubmed publisher..5 times that of the commercial cream. The conclusion was that the permeating ability of penciclovir was significantly increased from the microemulsion formulation compared with commercial cream. ..
- Jackson T, Hussain A, Hodgetts A, Morley A, Hillenkamp J, Sullivan P, et al. Human scleral hydraulic conductivity: age-related changes, topographical variation, and potential scleral outflow facility. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:4942-6 pubmed..The potential scleral outflow is two to three times higher than that which occurs in vivo; hence, medical or surgical interventions that fully exploit this pathway have considerable capacity to lower intraocular pressure. ..
- Songkro S, Rades T, Becket G. Effects of some terpenes on the in vitro permeation of LHRH through newborn pig skin. Pharmazie. 2009;64:110-5 pubmed..The results of the in vitro skin metabolism study of LHRH using fresh newborn pig skin showed that the degradation products were detected and the amount of the degraded LHRH increased with increasing duration of incubation time. ..
- SPITLER K, Gothard K. A removable silicone elastomer seal reduces granulation tissue growth and maintains the sterility of recording chambers for primate neurophysiology. J Neurosci Methods. 2008;169:23-6 pubmed publisher..The silicone elastomer sealant retarded the growth of granulation tissue on the dura and reduced the procedures required to maintain ideal conditions for neurophysiological recordings. ..
- Song I, Caplan A, Dennis J. In vitro dexamethasone pretreatment enhances bone formation of human mesenchymal stem cells in vivo. J Orthop Res. 2009;27:916-21 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that pretreatment of MSCs with dex results in greater bone formation than in untreated controls. ..
- Fischer S, Kempe D, Leibrock C, Rexhepaj R, Siraskar B, Boini K, et al. Hyperaldosteronism in Klotho-deficient mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F1171-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present observation disclose that the excessive formation of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) in Klotho-deficient mice results in extracellular volume depletion, which significantly contributes to the shortening of life span. ..
- Steinstraesser L, Sorkin M, Niederbichler A, Becerikli M, Stupka J, Daigeler A, et al. A novel human skin chamber model to study wound infection ex vivo. Arch Dermatol Res. 2010;302:357-65 pubmed publisher..For investigation of wound infection, treatment and healing, the BO-drum presents a convenient model and may help to standardize wound research. ..
- Cohen J, Fields R. CaMKII inactivation by extracellular Ca(2+) depletion in dorsal root ganglion neurons. Cell Calcium. 2006;39:445-54 pubmed
- Zheng Y, Zuo Z, Chow A. Lack of effect of beta-cyclodextrin and its water-soluble derivatives on in vitro drug transport across rat intestinal epithelium. Int J Pharm. 2006;309:123-8 pubmed..19+/-0.04)x10(-5)cm/s, which may be ascribed to the molecular complexation of propranolol with SBE-beta-CD. All three beta-cyclodextrins exert no apparent impact on both (passive) transcellar and paracellular drug transports. ..
- Hrabálek A, Dolezal P, Vavrova K, Zbytovska J, Holas T, Klimentova J, et al. Synthesis and enhancing effect of transkarbam 12 on the transdermal delivery of theophylline, clotrimazole, flobufen, and griseofulvin. Pharm Res. 2006;23:912-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that T12 is a promising biodegradable permeation enhancer for a wide range of drugs, and the structurally novel group of carbamate enhancers warrants further investigation. ..
- Wang S, Saadi W, Lin F, Minh Canh Nguyen C, Li Jeon N. Differential effects of EGF gradient profiles on MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cell chemotaxis. Exp Cell Res. 2004;300:180-9 pubmed..This result suggests that MDA-MB-231 cancer cell chemotaxis depends on the shape of gradient profile as well as on the range of EGF concentrations. ..
- Schrickx J, Fink Gremmels J. Danofloxacin-mesylate is a substrate for ATP-dependent efflux transporters. Br J Pharmacol. 2007;150:463-9 pubmed..Hence we hypothesized that DM is a substrate for one of these efflux-transporters...
- Lee H, Kim H, Park H, Won K, Kim J, Shin H, et al. Spleen tyrosine kinase participates in Src-mediated migration and proliferation by PDGF-BB in rat aortic smooth muscle cells. Arch Pharm Res. 2007;30:761-9 pubmed..These results imply that Syk is regulated by Src kinase, which participates in migration and proliferation in response to PDGF-BB in RASMCs. ..
- Reichling J, Landvatter U, Wagner H, Kostka K, Schaefer U. In vitro studies on release and human skin permeation of Australian tea tree oil (TTO) from topical formulations. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2006;64:222-8 pubmed..36+/-0.21 x 10(-7) cm/s) and semisolid O/W emulsion (8.41+/-0.15 x 10(-7) cm/s) demonstrated higher values indicating a penetration enhancement. No relationship between permeation and liberation was found. ..
- Boudry G, Perrier C. Thyme and cinnamon extracts induce anion secretion in piglet small intestine via cholinergic pathways. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;59:543-52 pubmed..In conclusion, thymol induces Cl- and HCO3(-) secretion via activation of nervous nicotinic receptors while cinnamaldehyde induces HCO3(-) secretion probably via direct activation of nicotinic receptors on epithelial cells. ..
- Leveque N, Raghavan S, Lane M, Hadgraft J. Use of a molecular form technique for the penetration of supersaturated solutions of salicylic acid across silicone membranes and human skin in vitro. Int J Pharm. 2006;318:49-54 pubmed..Although the fluxes of SA with and without HPMC were similar both through silicone membrane and human skin, HPMC was found to be effective in increasing the stability of supersaturated solutions of SA. ..
- Mok S, Lim Y, Goh S. A device to facilitate preparation of high-density neural cell cultures in MEAs. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;179:284-91 pubmed publisher..The cultures of cryopreserved dissociated cortical neurons that we have grown in this manner remained spontaneously active over months, exhibited stable development and similar network characteristics as reported by other researchers. ..
- Flamme C, Hurschler C, Heymann C, von der Heide N. Comparative biomechanical testing of anterior and posterior stabilization procedures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:E352-62 pubmed..An augmented anterior instrumentation may provide similar stability for bony fusion as does the posterior instrumentation. ..
- Majumdar S, Sloan K. Topical delivery of N-alkyl-N-alkyloxycarbonylaminomethyl (NANAOCAM) prodrugs of theophylline (ThH). Int J Pharm. 2007;332:64-71 pubmed..The flux of NANAOCAM prodrugs of ThH can be accurately predicted by the Roberts-Sloan (RS) equation. ..
- Cameron H, Perdue M. Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor activation increases transcellular transport of macromolecules across mouse and human intestinal epithelium in vitro. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2007;19:47-56 pubmed
- Femenía Font A, Merino V, Rodilla V, López Castellano A. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of sumatriptan after in vitro transdermal diffusion studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2005;37:621-6 pubmed..The detector response, at 282.7 nm, was found to be linear in a concentration range between 0.145 and 145 microM. The limit of detection (LOD) was 0.019 microM and the limit of quantification (LOQ) was 0.145 microM. ..
- Bock U, Krause W, Otto J, Haltner E. [Comparative in vitro and in vivo studies on the permeation and penetration of ketoprofen and ibuprofen in human skin]. Arzneimittelforschung. 2004;54:522-9 pubmed..Over a period of 3 h, the amount of ketoprofen in the Stratum corneum in vivo was 78.4 +/- 19.1 microg/cm2 being comparable to the in vitro data. ..
- Brenner M, Mest H. A buffer temperature controlled perifusion system to study temperature dependence and kinetics of insulin secretion in MIN6 pseudoislets. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2004;50:53-7 pubmed..The strong influence of temperature on insulin release from these pseudoislets requires a perifusion system, which precisely controls the buffer temperature. ..
- Wu X, Todo H, Sugibayashi K. Enhancement of skin permeation of high molecular compounds by a combination of microneedle pretreatment and iontophoresis. J Control Release. 2007;118:189-95 pubmed..These results suggest that the combination of iontophoresis with microneedle pretreatment may be a useful means to increase skin permeation of high molecular compounds. ..
- Washburn K, Johnson R, Clarke C, Anderson K. Distribution of ceftiofur into Mannheimia haemolytica-infected tissue chambers and lung after subcutaneous administration of ceftiofur crystalline free acid sterile suspension. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2010;33:141-6 pubmed publisher..Data also indicated DCA concentrations remained above the therapeutic threshold of 0.2 microg/mL for plasma and chamber fluid and 0.2 microg/g for lung tissue for at least 7 days post-treatment. ..
- Laudańska H, Lemancewicz A, Krętowska M, Reduta T, Laudanski T. Permeability of human skin to selected anions and cations--in vitro studies. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002;112:16-26 pubmed..It is also supported by different transportation characteristics of individual ions through the skin over time. ..
- Breijo M, Anesetti G, Martinez L, Sim R, Ferreira A. Echinococcus granulosus: the establishment of the metacestode is associated with control of complement-mediated early inflammation. Exp Parasitol. 2008;118:188-96 pubmed..Overall, these results indicated that the establishment and survival of the hydatid cyst is associated with the control of complement and, consequently, of local inflammation at the initial phases of infection. ..
- Harman C, Holth T, Hylland K, Thomas K, Grung M. Relationship between polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) accumulation in semipermeable membrane devices and PAH bile metabolite levels in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2009;72:234-43 pubmed publisher..The usefulness of using SPMD to measure exposure concentrations in a large-scale flow-through study is also examined...
- Dimas D, Dallas P, Rekkas D. Use of an 8(1)3(2) asymmetrical factorial design for the in vitro evaluation of ondansetron permeation through human epidermis. Pharm Dev Technol. 2004;9:39-48 pubmed..Therefore, the transdermal administration of ondansetron seems feasible. ..
- Cunningham B, Atkinson B, Hu N, Kikkawa J, Jenis L, Bryant J, et al. Ceramic granules enhanced with B2A peptide for lumbar interbody spine fusion: an experimental study using an instrumented model in sheep. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;10:300-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that B2A/CG may well represent a new generation of biomaterials for lumbar interbody fusion and indicate that additional studies are warranted. ..
- Silva A, Nunes B, de Oliveira M, Koester L, Mayorga P, Bassani V, et al. Development of topical nanoemulsions containing the isoflavone genistein. Pharmazie. 2009;64:32-5 pubmed..The overall results showed a slow permeation profile for genistein from both nanoemulsions.Such results open interesting perspectives for the topical administration of genistein. ..
- Lin B, Hsieh H, Lee J, Lai I, Chen C, Yu L. Luminal hydrochloric acid stimulates rapid transepithelial ion fluxes in rodent esophageal stratified squamous epithelium. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;59:525-42 pubmed..The capsaicin-sensitive and muscarinic-dependent nerve pathways did not play roles in the mechanism. ..
- Moazed B, Hiebert L. Movement of heparins across rat gastric mucosa is dependent on molecular weight and pH. Pharm Res. 2009;26:189-95 pubmed publisher..4, respectively. Decreasing heparin size, increases movement through gastric mucosa at mucosal buffer pH 7.4 but not pH 4.0. The stomach environment may favor UFH absorption while the intestine environment favors LMWH absorption. ..
- Heuschkel S, Wohlrab J, Schmaus G, Neubert R. Modulation of dihydroavenanthramide D release and skin penetration by 1,2-alkanediols. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70:239-47 pubmed publisher..Due to their favorable biopharmaceutical and technological properties, longer chain 1,2-alkanediols represent a valuable class of ingredients for dermal products. ..
- Maher S, Feighery L, Brayden D, McClean S. Melittin as a permeability enhancer II: in vitro investigations in human mucus secreting intestinal monolayers and rat colonic mucosae. Pharm Res. 2007;24:1346-56 pubmed
- Hannink G, Schreurs B, Buma P. Irradiation has no effect on the incorporation of impacted morselized bone: a bone chamber study in goats. Acta Orthop. 2007;78:31-8 pubmed..The amount of unresorbed graft remnant was highest in the unprocessed bone grafts. We conclude that sterilization with gamma irradiation does not influence the incorporation of impacted rinsed bone allografts. ..
- Hui X, Baker S, Wester R, Barbadillo S, Cashmore A, Sanders V, et al. In Vitro penetration of a novel oxaborole antifungal (AN2690) into the human nail plate. J Pharm Sci. 2007;96:2622-31 pubmed..AN2690 has superior penetration compared to ciclopirox, and achieves levels within and under the nail plate that suggest it has the potential to be an effective topical treatment for onychomycosis. ..