Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes reversibly the transfer of phosphoethanolamine from CDP-ethanolamine to diacylglycerol to yield phosphatidylethanolamine (cephalin) and CMP. The enzyme is found in the endoplasmic reticulum. EC 188.8.131.52.
- Wanty C, Anandan A, Piek S, Walshe J, Ganguly J, Carlson R, et al. The structure of the neisserial lipooligosaccharide phosphoethanolamine transferase A (LptA) required for resistance to polymyxin. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:3389-402 pubmed publisher..The structure reveals the protein components needed for the transferase chemistry; however, substrate-binding regions are not evident and are likely to reside in the transmembrane domain of the protein. ..
- Boumann H, de Kruijff B, Heck A, de Kroon A. The selective utilization of substrates in vivo by the phosphatidylethanolamine and phosphatidylcholine biosynthetic enzymes Ept1p and Cpt1p in yeast. FEBS Lett. 2004;569:173-7 pubmed
- Wright M, McMaster C. PC and PE synthesis: mixed micellar analysis of the cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase activities of human choline/ethanolamine phosphotransferase 1 (CEPT1). Lipids. 2002;37:663-72 pubmed..We used an expression system devoid of endogenous cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase activities to assess the diradylglycerol specificity of CEPT1...
- Mancini A, Del Rosso F, Roberti R, Orvietani P, Coletti L, Binaglia L. Purification of ethanolaminephosphotransferase from bovine liver microsomes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1437:80-92 pubmedCDP-ethanolamine:diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EC 2. 7.8.1) has been purified to electrophoretic homogeneity and in a catalytically active form from bovine liver microsomes...
- Vance J, Stone S, Faust J. Abnormalities in mitochondria-associated membranes and phospholipid biosynthetic enzymes in the mnd/mnd mouse model of neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1344:286-99 pubmed..These studies indicate that MAM are defective in the mnd/mnd mutant mouse in which the biochemical phenotype includes an abnormal accumulation of lipids and proteins in storage bodies. ..
- McMaster C, Morash S, Bell R. Phospholipid and cation activation of chimaeric choline/ethanolamine phosphotransferases. Biochem J. 1996;313 ( Pt 3):729-35 pubmed..Saccharomyces cerevisiae CPT1 and EPT1 genes encode for a cholinephosphotransferase (CPT) and choline/ethanolaminephosphotransferase, respectively...
- Mancini A, Roberti R, Binaglia L, el Missiri A, Freysz L. Factors affecting the stability of detergent-solubilized cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase. Membr Biochem. 1993;10:43-52 pubmedCholinephosphotransferase (CPT) and ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EPT) are the enzymes catalyzing the last step of the de novo pathway for phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine synthesis, respectively...
- Ide H, Miller J, Weinhold P. Ethanolaminephosphotransferase in rat lung: selectivity for endogenous and exogenous diacylglycerol. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1988;960:119-24 pubmedb>Ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EC 184.108.40.206) activity was determined in lung microsomes using diacylglycerols generated endogenously from [14C]glycerol 3-phosphate and different mixtures of fatty acids...
- Hjelmstad R, Bell R. sn-1,2-diacylglycerol choline- and ethanolaminephosphotransferases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mixed micellar analysis of the CPT1 and EPT1 gene products. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:4357-65 pubmed..A haploid cpt1 ept1 double null mutant lacked detectable choline- and ethanolaminephosphotransferase activity but was viable for growth, establishing that these enzymes are nonessential...
- Menon A, Stevens V. Phosphatidylethanolamine is the donor of the ethanolamine residue linking a glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor to protein. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:15277-80 pubmed..Using yeast mutants generated by disruption of the ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EPT1) and cholinephosphotransferase (CPT1) genes, we report data consistent with the proposal that ..
- Reddy T, Horrocks L. Effects of neonatal undernutrition of rats on the synthesis of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine by microsomes from gray matter and white matter. Int J Dev Neurosci. 1986;4:89-95 pubmed..Additional factors, such as synthetic rates in vivo and a reduction of turnover rates, must be sought for the sparing of the glycerophospholipid content of gray matter during undernutrition. ..
- Lee D, Kang S. Characterization of phosphatidylinositol-glycan biosynthesis protein class F gene in rice. DNA Seq. 2008;19:282-90 pubmed..Furthermore, the levels of rice PIG-F transcription were up-regulated by growth hormones including GA(3), NAA and kinetin. These results indicated that the rice PIG-F gene expression may medicated by these growth regulators. ..
- Hazel J. Adaptation to temperature: phospholipid synthesis in hepatocytes of rainbow trout. Am J Physiol. 1990;258:R1495-501 pubmed
- Hobbs M, Anderson J, Balthazar J, Kandler J, Carlson R, Ganguly J, et al. Lipid A's structure mediates Neisseria gonorrhoeae fitness during experimental infection of mice and men. MBio. 2013;4:e00892-13 pubmed publisher..The results of these studies suggest that novel agents targeting LptA may offer urgently needed prevention or treatment strategies for gonorrhea. ..
- Henneberry A, Lagace T, Ridgway N, McMaster C. Phosphatidylcholine synthesis influences the diacylglycerol homeostasis required for SEC14p-dependent Golgi function and cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:511-20 pubmed..Di8:0 diacylglcyerol did not alter endogenous phospholipid metabolic pathways, nor was it converted to di8:0 phosphatidic acid. ..
- Sevlever D, Mann K, Medof M. Differential effect of 1,10-phenanthroline on mammalian, yeast, and parasite glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor synthesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;288:1112-8 pubmed..In contrast to mammals and yeast, the synthesis of GPIs in T. brucei is not affected by PNT. Our results indicate that the T. brucei GPI-PET could be a potential target for antiparasitic drugs. ..
- Hjelmstad R, Bell R. sn-1,2-diacylglycerol choline- and ethanolaminephosphotransferases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleotide sequence of the EPT1 gene and comparison of the CPT1 and EPT1 gene products. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:5094-103 pubmed
- Morash S, McMaster C, Hjelmstad R, Bell R. Studies employing Saccharomyces cerevisiae cpt1 and ept1 null mutants implicate the CPT1 gene in coordinate regulation of phospholipid biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:28769-76 pubmed..The ethanolaminephosphotransferase activity of the EPT1 gene product in wild type cells was reduced 40% by exogenous inositol alone and ..
- Dobrzyn A, Dobrzyn P, Miyazaki M, Sampath H, Chu K, Ntambi J. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 deficiency increases CTP:choline cytidylyltransferase translocation into the membrane and enhances phosphatidylcholine synthesis in liver. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23356-62 pubmed..Our study revealed that SCD1 deficiency specifically increases CCT activity by promoting its translocation into membrane and enhances PC biosynthesis in liver. ..
- Roberti R, Mancini A, Freysz L, Binaglia L. Reversibility of the reactions catalyzed by cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase solubilized from rat-brain microsomes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1165:183-8 pubmedThe incorporation of CMP into CDP-ethanolamine and CDP-choline, catalyzed by ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EC 220.127.116.11) and cholinephosphotransferase (EC 2.7.8...
- Ye H, Li Y, Li Z, Gao R, Zhang H, Wen R, et al. Diversified mcr-1-Harbouring Plasmid Reservoirs Confer Resistance to Colistin in Human Gut Microbiota. MBio. 2016;7:e00177 pubmed publisher..Genetic and sequence mapping revealed unexpected diversity among themcr-1-harbouring plasmid reservoirs of human gut microbiota. ..
- Percy A, Moore J, Plishker G, Waymire J. Phosphoglyceride biosynthesis in bovine adrenal chromaffin cells. Neurochem Res. 1991;16:505-11 pubmed..of phosphatidylcholine (PC) and phosphatidylethanolamine (PE), namely, choline phosphotransferase, ethanolaminephosphotransferase, and the N-methyltransferases in the sequential methylation of PE to PC...
- Tijburg L, Houweling M, Geelen J, van Golde L. Stimulation of phosphatidylethanolamine synthesis in isolated rat hepatocytes by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1987;922:184-90 pubmed..induces an increase of the activity of the enzymes CTP: ethanolaminephosphate cytidylyltransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase. These effects are accompanied by a decrease of the pool size of ethanolaminephosphate and ..
- Qi Q, Huang Y, Cutler A, Abrams S, Taylor D. Molecular and biochemical characterization of an aminoalcoholphosphotransferase (AAPT1) from Brassica napus: effects of low temperature and abscisic acid treatments on AAPT expression in Arabidopsis plants and effects of over-expression of BnAAPT1 in. Planta. 2003;217:547-58 pubmed
- Roberti R, Vecchini A, Freysz L, Masoom M, Binaglia L. An improved procedure for the purification of ethanolaminephosphotransferase. Reconstitution of the purified enzyme with lipids. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;1004:80-8 pubmedb>Ethanolaminephosphotransferase (CDPethanolamine:1,2-diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase, EC 18.104.22.168) has been purified in active form from rat brain microsomes by a two-step chromatographic procedure...
- O K, Siow Y, Choy P. Hamster liver cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase are separate enzymes. Biochem Cell Biol. 1989;67:680-6 pubmed..7.8.2) and CDP-ethanolamine:1,2-diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EC 2.7.8...
- Dewey R, Wilson R, Novitzky W, Goode J. The AAPT1 gene of soybean complements a cholinephosphotransferase-deficient mutant of yeast. Plant Cell. 1994;6:1495-507 pubmed publisher..to each of the two characterized AAPTase sequences from yeast, cholinephosphotransferase and ethanolaminephosphotransferase (CDP-ethanolamine:sn-1,2-diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase)...
- Cox A, Wright J, Li J, Hood D, Moxon E, Richards J. Phosphorylation of the lipid A region of meningococcal lipopolysaccharide: identification of a family of transferases that add phosphoethanolamine to lipopolysaccharide. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3270-7 pubmed..We propose that NMB1638 encodes a phosphoethanolamine transferase specific for lipid A and propose naming the gene "lptA," for "LPS phosphoethenolamine transferase for lipid A." ..
- Cullen T, Madsen J, Ivanov P, Brodbelt J, Trent M. Characterization of unique modification of flagellar rod protein FlgG by Campylobacter jejuni lipid A phosphoethanolamine transferase, linking bacterial locomotion and antimicrobial peptide resistance. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:3326-36 pubmed publisher..Characterization of EptC and its enzymatic targets expands on the increasingly important field of prokaryotic post-translational modification of bacterial surface structures and the unidentified role they may play in pathogenesis...
- Tzeng Y, Ambrose K, Zughaier S, Zhou X, Miller Y, Shafer W, et al. Cationic antimicrobial peptide resistance in Neisseria meningitidis. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:5387-96 pubmed..The modification of meningococcal lipid A head groups with PEA also prevents neutralization of the biological effects of endotoxin by CAMP. ..
- Reynolds C, Kalb S, Cotter R, Raetz C. A phosphoethanolamine transferase specific for the outer 3-deoxy-D-manno-octulosonic acid residue of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide. Identification of the eptB gene and Ca2+ hypersensitivity of an eptB deletion mutant. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:21202-11 pubmed..Based on its sequence similarity to EptA(PmrC), we propose that the active site of EptB faces the periplasmic surface of the inner membrane. ..
- Kanipes M, Lin S, Cotter R, Raetz C. Ca2+-induced phosphoethanolamine transfer to the outer 3-deoxy-D-manno-octulosonic acid moiety of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide. A novel membrane enzyme dependent upon phosphatidylethanolamine. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:1156-63 pubmed..coli LPS. ..
- Vance J, Vance D. Does rat liver Golgi have the capacity to synthesize phospholipids for lipoprotein secretion?. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:5898-909 pubmed..Synthesis of phosphatidylethanolamine via decarboxylation of phosphatidylserine does not appear to occur in Golgi. ..
- Vacaru A, van den Dikkenberg J, Ternes P, Holthuis J. Ceramide phosphoethanolamine biosynthesis in Drosophila is mediated by a unique ethanolamine phosphotransferase in the Golgi lumen. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:11520-30 pubmed publisher..Our findings open up an important new avenue to address the biological role of CPE, an enigmatic membrane constituent of a wide variety of invertebrate and marine organisms. ..
- Zhang H, Murzello C, Sun Y, Kim M, Xie X, Jeter R, et al. Choline and osmotic-stress tolerance induced in Arabidopsis by the soil microbe Bacillus subtilis (GB03). Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2010;23:1097-104 pubmed publisher..These results provide a biological strategy to enhance Cho biosynthesis in plants and, in turn, increase plant tolerance to osmotic stress by elevating osmoprotectant accumulation. ..
- Horibata Y, Hirabayashi Y. Identification and characterization of human ethanolaminephosphotransferase1. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:503-8 pubmedCDP-ethanolamine:diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase (EPT) catalyzes the transfer of phosphoethanolamine from CDP-ethanolamine to diacylglycerol to produce phosphatidylethanolamine (PE)...
- Tran A, Stead C, Trent M. Remodeling of Helicobacter pylori lipopolysaccharide. J Endotoxin Res. 2005;11:161-6 pubmed..Discovery of the enzymatic machinery involved in the remodeling of H. pylori LPS will help unravel the importance of these modifications in H. pylori pathogenesis. ..
- McMaster C, Bell R. CDP-ethanolamine:1,2-diacylglycerol ethanolaminephosphotransferase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1348:117-23 pubmedb>Ethanolaminephosphotransferase catalyzes the final step of the CDP-ethanolamine pathway for the de novo synthesis of phosphatidylethanolamine (PtdEtn) via transfer of a phosphoethanolamine moiety from CDP-ethanolamine to diacylglycerol ..
- Xu F, O K, Choy P. Biosynthesis of plasmenylethanolamine (1-O-alk-1'-enyl-2-acyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoethanolamine) in the guinea pig heart. J Lipid Res. 1997;38:670-9 pubmed
- Ford D, Rosenbloom K, Gross R. The primary determinant of rabbit myocardial ethanolamine phosphotransferase substrate selectivity is the covalent nature of the sn-1 aliphatic group of diradyl glycerol acceptors. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:11222-8 pubmed
- Scott N, Nothaft H, Edwards A, Labbate M, Djordjevic S, Larsen M, et al. Modification of the Campylobacter jejuni N-linked glycan by EptC protein-mediated addition of phosphoethanolamine. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:29384-96 pubmed publisher..coli pEtN transferases can mediate the addition of pEtN to N-glycans. The addition of pEtN must be considered in the context of glycoengineering and may alter C. jejuni glycan-mediated structure-function interactions. ..
- Cullen T, O Brien J, Hendrixson D, Giles D, Hobb R, Thompson S, et al. EptC of Campylobacter jejuni mediates phenotypes involved in host interactions and virulence. Infect Immun. 2013;81:430-40 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that modification of surface structures with pEtN by EptC is key to its ability to promote commensalism in an avian host and to survive in the mammalian gastrointestinal environment. ..
- Knirel Y, Lan R, Senchenkova S, Wang J, Shashkov A, Wang Y, et al. O-antigen structure of Shigella flexneri serotype Yv and effect of the lpt-O gene variation on phosphoethanolamine modification of S. flexneri O-antigens. Glycobiology. 2013;23:475-85 pubmed publisher..These data enhance our knowledge of S. flexneri serotype conversion mechanisms and help to understand the biosynthesis process of the new O-antigen variants. ..
- Bontemps Gallo S, Cogez V, Robbe Masselot C, Quintard K, Dondeyne J, Madec E, et al. Biosynthesis of osmoregulated periplasmic glucans in Escherichia coli: the phosphoethanolamine transferase is encoded by opgE. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:371429 pubmed publisher..Both genes show structural and functional similarities without sequence similarity. ..
- Ford D. Separate myocardial ethanolamine phosphotransferase activities responsible for plasmenylethanolamine and phosphatidylethanolamine synthesis. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:554-9 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that separate ethanolamine phosphotransferase activities are present in heart membranes that are responsible for the synthesis of phosphatidylethanolamine and plasmenylethanolamine. ..
- Ford D, Gross R. Differential metabolism of diradyl glycerol molecular subclasses and molecular species by rabbit brain diglyceride kinase. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:12280-6 pubmed