Genomes and Genes
Summary: An eph family receptor found primarily in the nervous system. In the embryonic BRAIN EphB1 receptor expression occurs in the mantle layer and increases with the progression of embryogenesis. In adult brain it is found in the several regions including the CEREBELLUM; CEREBRAL CORTEX; and CAUDATE NUCLEUS; and PUTAMEN.
- Henkemeyer M, Itkis O, Ngo M, Hickmott P, Ethell I. Multiple EphB receptor tyrosine kinases shape dendritic spines in the hippocampus. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1313-26 pubmed..These results indicate EphB receptor cell autonomous forward signaling is responsible for dendritic spine formation and synaptic maturation in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Wei W, Wang H, Ji S. Paradoxes of the EphB1 receptor in malignant brain tumors. Cancer Cell Int. 2017;17:21 pubmed publisher..Previous studies have shown that EphB1 receptor and its ephrin ligands are expressed in the central nervous system...
- Liu S, Liu W, Liu Y, Dong H, Henkemeyer M, Xiong L, et al. Blocking EphB1 receptor forward signaling in spinal cord relieves bone cancer pain and rescues analgesic effect of morphine treatment in rodents. Cancer Res. 2011;71:4392-402 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that EphB1 receptor forward signaling in the spinal cord is critical to the development of bone cancer pain and morphine tolerance ..
- Howard M, Rodenas Ruano A, Henkemeyer M, Martin G, Lonsbury Martin B, Liebl D. Eph receptor deficiencies lead to altered cochlear function. Hear Res. 2003;178:118-30 pubmed..In particular, EphB1 and EphB3 receptor knockout mice exhibited significantly diminished DPOAE levels as compared to wild-type littermates, indicating that these specific Eph receptors are necessary for normal cochlear function. ..
- Lee I, Dombkowski A, Athey B. Guidelines for incorporating non-perfectly matched oligonucleotides into target-specific hybridization probes for a DNA microarray. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:681-90 pubmed
- Calò L, Spillantini M, Nicoletti F, Allen N. Nurr1 co-localizes with EphB1 receptors in the developing ventral midbrain, and its expression is enhanced by the EphB1 ligand, ephrinB2. J Neurochem. 2005;92:235-45 pubmed..The transcripts of EphB1 receptor and Nurr1 showed a similar pattern of expression in the ventral midbrain of mice at early stages of embryonic ..
- Sheng Z, Wang J, Dong Y, Ma H, Zhou H, Sugimura H, et al. EphB1 is underexpressed in poorly differentiated colorectal cancers. Pathobiology. 2008;75:274-80 pubmed publisher..Further, cancer cells with a low level of EphB1 protein showed more invasive power. Our data indicate that EphB1 may have roles in the pathogenesis and development of colorectal cancer. ..
- Vindis C, Cerretti D, Daniel T, Huynh Do U. EphB1 recruits c-Src and p52Shc to activate MAPK/ERK and promote chemotaxis. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:661-71 pubmed..Together these findings highlight a new aspect of EphB1 signaling, whereby the concerted action of c-Src and p52Shc activates MAPK/ERK and regulates events involved in cell motility. ..
- Lee R, Petros T, Mason C. Zic2 regulates retinal ganglion cell axon avoidance of ephrinB2 through inducing expression of the guidance receptor EphB1. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5910-9 pubmed publisher..The upregulated EphB1 receptor protein is localized to growth cones and is functional, because it is sufficient to change retinal ganglion ..
- Chumley M, Catchpole T, Silvany R, Kernie S, Henkemeyer M. EphB receptors regulate stem/progenitor cell proliferation, migration, and polarity during hippocampal neurogenesis. J Neurosci. 2007;27:13481-90 pubmed..of neurogenesis, such as polarity, cell positioning, and proliferation are disrupted in animals lacking the EphB1 receptor or its cognate ephrin-B3 ligand...
- Mann F, Miranda E, Weinl C, Harmer E, Holt C. B-type Eph receptors and ephrins induce growth cone collapse through distinct intracellular pathways. J Neurobiol. 2003;57:323-36 pubmed..Our data reveal that distinct signaling mechanisms exist for B-type Eph/ephrin-mediated growth cone guidance and suggest that endocytosis provides a fast mechanism for switching off signaling in the reverse direction. ..
- Spuches A, Argiros H, Lee K, Haas L, Pero S, Krag D, et al. Calorimetric investigation of phosphorylated and non-phosphorylated peptide ligand binding to the human Grb7-SH2 domain. J Mol Recognit. 2007;20:245-52 pubmed..The entirety of these calorimetric studies is interpreted in an effort to describe the specific ligand binding characteristics of the Grb7 protein. ..
- Richards A, Scheel T, Wang K, Henkemeyer M, Kromer L. EphB1 null mice exhibit neuronal loss in substantia nigra pars reticulata and spontaneous locomotor hyperactivity. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25:2619-28 pubmed..These results suggest that EphB1 is necessary for the proper formation of SNr, and that neuronal loss in SNr is associated with altered locomotor functions. ..
- Schmidt J, Agapova O, Yang P, Kaufman P, Hernandez M. Expression of ephrinB1 and its receptor in glaucomatous optic neuropathy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1219-24 pubmed..We postulate that the up-regulation of Eph/ephrin pathway may play a protective role by limiting axonal damage and inflammatory cell invasion. Loss of ephrin signalling in advanced glaucoma may explain macrophage activation. ..
- Hoogenraad C, Milstein A, Ethell I, Henkemeyer M, Sheng M. GRIP1 controls dendrite morphogenesis by regulating EphB receptor trafficking. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:906-15 pubmed..These results indicate an important role for GRIP1 in dendrite morphogenesis by serving as an adaptor protein for kinesin-dependent transport of EphB receptors to dendrites. ..
- Kimura J, Suda Y, Kurokawa D, Hossain Z, Nakamura M, Takahashi M, et al. Emx2 and Pax6 function in cooperation with Otx2 and Otx1 to develop caudal forebrain primordium that includes future archipallium. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5097-108 pubmed..In the embryonic day 9.5 Emx2-/-Pax6-/- double mutant, the caudal forebrain remained unspecified and subsequently transformed into tectum in a mirror image of the endogenous one. ..
- Vindis C, Teli T, Cerretti D, Turner C, Huynh Do U. EphB1-mediated cell migration requires the phosphorylation of paxillin at Tyr-31/Tyr-118. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:27965-70 pubmed..These data suggest a model in which ligand-activated EphB1 forms a signaling complex with Nck, paxillin, and focal adhesion kinase and induces tyrosine phosphorylation of paxillin in a c-Src-dependent manner to promote cell migration. ..
- Guillery R. Developmental neurobiology: preventing midline crossings. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R871-2 pubmed
- Wang J, Dong Y, Sheng Z, Ma H, Li G, Wang X, et al. Loss of expression of EphB1 protein in gastric carcinoma associated with invasion and metastasis. Oncology. 2007;73:238-45 pubmed publisher..8% (26/58), respectively. In addition, we showed that underexpression of EphB1 protein is significantly associated with invasion, stage and metastasis in gastric carcinomas. EphB1 may have a tumor-suppressive role in gastric cancer. ..
- Wang Y, Ying G, Liu X, Wang W, Dong J, Ni Z, et al. Induction of ephrin-B1 and EphB receptors during denervation-induced plasticity in the adult mouse hippocampus. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:2336-46 pubmed..These results suggest that the ephrin-B1/EphB system may participate in the lesion-induced plasticity processes in the adult mouse hippocampus. ..
- Petros T, Shrestha B, Mason C. Specificity and sufficiency of EphB1 in driving the ipsilateral retinal projection. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3463-74 pubmed publisher..However, because VT RGCs express more than one EphB receptor, the sufficiency and specificity of the EphB1 receptor in directing the ipsilateral projection is unclear...
- Koolpe M, Burgess R, Dail M, Pasquale E. EphB receptor-binding peptides identified by phage display enable design of an antagonist with ephrin-like affinity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:17301-11 pubmed..These peptides should be useful as selective inhibitors of the pathological activities of EphB receptors and as targeting agents for imaging probes and therapeutic drugs. ..
- Rebsam A, Petros T, Mason C. Switching retinogeniculate axon laterality leads to normal targeting but abnormal eye-specific segregation that is activity dependent. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14855-63 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate molecular determinants for targeting of eye-specific zones that are independent of midline guidance cues and that function in concert with correlated retinal activity to sculpt retinogeniculate projections. ..
- Zhu J, Kulich S, Oury T, Chu C. Cytoplasmic aggregates of phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated protein kinases in Lewy body diseases. Am J Pathol. 2002;161:2087-98 pubmed..Moreover, granular cytoplasmic P-ERK was associated with alterations in the distribution of downstream targets such as P-RSK1, but not of P-Elk-1, suggesting functional diversion of ERK-signaling pathways in Lewy body diseases. ..