Genomes and Genes
Summary: An eph family receptor found widely expressed in embryo tissues, including the NERVOUS SYSTEM. In the BRAIN high levels of EphA7 expression occurs in the anterior tectum, medulla, RHOMBENCEPHALON, and SUBCOMMISSURAL ORGAN. Several isoforms of the protein occur due to multiple alternative spicing of the EphA7 mRNA.
- Johnson C, Segovia B, Kandpal R. EPHA7 and EPHA10 Physically Interact and Differentially Co-localize in Normal Breast and Breast Carcinoma Cell Lines, and the Co-localization Pattern Is Altered in EPHB6-expressing MDA-MB-231 Cells. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2016;13:359-68 pubmed..we demonstrated physical interaction between kinase-deficient EPHA10 with kinase-sufficient EPHA7 receptor. Immunocytochemical analyses have revealed that these two receptors co-localize on the cell surface, and ..
- Janis L, Cassidy R, Kromer L. Ephrin-A binding and EphA receptor expression delineate the matrix compartment of the striatum. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4962-71 pubmed..These observations implicate selective interactions between ephrin-A molecules and EphA RTKs as potential mechanisms for regulating the compartmental organization of the striatum. ..
- Schulte D, Cepko C. Two homeobox genes define the domain of EphA3 expression in the developing chick retina. Development. 2000;127:5033-45 pubmed..They further suggest that the control of topographic specificity along the retinal nasal-temporal axis is split into several independent pathways already at a very early time in development. ..
- Salsi V, Zappavigna V. Hoxd13 and Hoxa13 directly control the expression of the EphA7 Ephrin tyrosine kinase receptor in developing limbs. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:1992-9 pubmed..These results establish that EphA7 is a direct downstream target of Hoxd13 and Hoxa13 during limb development, thus providing further insight into the regulatory networks that control limb patterning. ..
- Araujo M, Nieto M. The expression of chick EphA7 during segmentation of the central and peripheral nervous system. Mech Dev. 1997;68:173-7 pubmed..In the somitic mesoderm, the expression correlates with segmentation and the guidance of both neural crest and motor axons through the sclerotomes. ..
- Blanco M, Peña Melián A, Nieto M. Expression of EphA receptors and ligands during chick cerebellar development. Mech Dev. 2002;114:225-9 pubmed
- Wang L, Fokas E, Juricko J, You A, Rose F, Pagenstecher A, et al. Increased expression of EphA7 correlates with adverse outcome in primary and recurrent glioblastoma multiforme patients. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:79 pubmed publisher..003). The immunohistochemical assessment of tissue EphA7 provides important prognostic information in GBM and would justify its use as surrogate marker to screen patients for tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy. ..
- Guan M, Xu C, Zhang F, Ye C. Aberrant methylation of EphA7 in human prostate cancer and its relation to clinicopathologic features. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:88-94 pubmed publisher..Ectopic expression of EphA7 in DU145 cells did not suppress cell growth but inhibited colony formation. Our study provides evidence that epigenetic inactivation of EphA7 may be involved in prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Hilman S, Sothi S, Peake D, Andersson J, Meis J. Gastrointestinal stromal tumour with a KIT exon 11 mutation presenting as a paratesticular mass. Br J Radiol. 2009;82:e98-e101 pubmed publisher..With the development of new drugs to treat GISTs, the knowledge of the type of mutations may in the future prove helpful in determining optimal treatment strategies and prognosis. ..
- Zhao X, Sun M, Zhao J, Leyva J, Zhu H, Yang W, et al. Mutations in HOXD13 underlie syndactyly type V and a novel brachydactyly-syndactyly syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;80:361-71 pubmed..We suggest the term "HOXD13 limb morphopathies" for the spectrum of limb disorders caused by HOXD13 mutations...
- Torii M, Levitt P. Dissociation of corticothalamic and thalamocortical axon targeting by an EphA7-mediated mechanism. Neuron. 2005;48:563-75 pubmed..Our results support a model in which EphA/ephrin-A signaling controls independently the precision with which CT and TC projections develop, yet is essential for establishing their topographic reciprocity. ..
- Honig M, Camilli S, Surineni K, Knight B, Hardin H. The contributions of BMP4, positive guidance cues, and repulsive molecules to cutaneous nerve formation in the chick hindlimb. Dev Biol. 2005;282:257-73 pubmed
- St John J, Pasquale E, Key B. EphA receptors and ephrin-A ligands exhibit highly regulated spatial and temporal expression patterns in the developing olfactory system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2002;138:1-14 pubmed..While EphA4, EphA5 and EphA7 are not mosaically expressed by bulbar neurons, other Eph receptors may have expression patterns complementary to the ephrin-A5-positive subpopulation of glomeruli. ..
- Stadler H, Higgins K, Capecchi M. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development. 2001;128:4177-88 pubmed..These results suggest that an important role for Hoxa13 during limb and UA development is to regulate genes whose products are required for mesenchymal cell adhesion, sorting and boundary formation. ..
- Buchert M, Schneider S, Meskenaite V, Adams M, Canaani E, Baechi T, et al. The junction-associated protein AF-6 interacts and clusters with specific Eph receptor tyrosine kinases at specialized sites of cell-cell contact in the brain. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:361-71 pubmed..AF-6 is a candidate for mediating the clustering of Eph receptors at postsynaptic specializations in the adult rat brain. ..
- Ciossek T, Ullrich A, West E, Rogers J. Segregation of the receptor EphA7 from its tyrosine kinase-negative isoform on neurons in adult mouse brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1999;74:231-6 pubmed..This suggests that the TK- receptor, acting as a dominant negative antagonist, may ensure that the TK+ receptor only responds to signals encountered by the growing extremities of axons or dendrites. ..
- Rubenstein J, Anderson S, Shi L, Miyashita Lin E, Bulfone A, Hevner R. Genetic control of cortical regionalization and connectivity. Cereb Cortex. 1999;9:524-32 pubmed
- Knoll B, Isenmann S, Kilic E, Walkenhorst J, Engel S, Wehinger J, et al. Graded expression patterns of ephrin-As in the superior colliculus after lesion of the adult mouse optic nerve. Mech Dev. 2001;106:119-27 pubmed
- Stubbs J, Palmer A, Vidovic M, Marotte L. Graded expression of EphA3 in the retina and ephrin-A2 in the superior colliculus during initial development of coarse topography in the wallaby retinocollicular projection. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:3626-36 pubmed..However, the gradients were not complementary, meaning that EphA3 alone cannot mediate the repulsive interactions with ephrin-A2 that have been postulated to underlie formation of the topographic map. ..
- Huai J, Drescher U. An ephrin-A-dependent signaling pathway controls integrin function and is linked to the tyrosine phosphorylation of a 120-kDa protein. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6689-94 pubmed..The role of p120 as a mediator of an ephrin-A-integrin coupling is supported by the finding that inhibiting tyrosine phosphorylation of p120 correlates with an abolishment of the beta 1-dependent cell adhesion. ..
- Knoll B, Zarbalis K, Wurst W, Drescher U. A role for the EphA family in the topographic targeting of vomeronasal axons. Development. 2001;128:895-906 pubmed..In summary, these data, which are derived from in vitro and in vivo experiments, indicate an important role of the EphA family in setting up the vomeronasal projection. ..
- Garcia Calero E, de Puelles E, Puelles L. EphA7 receptor is expressed differentially at chicken prosomeric boundaries. Neuroscience. 2006;141:1887-97 pubmed
- Miller K, Kolk S, Donoghue M. EphA7-ephrin-A5 signaling in mouse somatosensory cortex: developmental restriction of molecular domains and postnatal maintenance of functional compartments. J Comp Neurol. 2006;496:627-42 pubmed..Taken together, this study supports a role for EphA7 and ephrin-A5 in the establishment and maintenance of certain cortical domains and suggests that the nature of their interactions changes with cortical maturity. ..
- Slomianny M, Dupont A, Bouanou F, Beseme O, Guihot A, Amouyel P, et al. Profiling of membrane proteins from human macrophages: comparison of two approaches. Proteomics. 2006;6:2365-75 pubmed
- Jiao J, Feldheim D, Chen D. Ephrins as negative regulators of adult neurogenesis in diverse regions of the central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8778-83 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that neural cell replacement therapies for neurodegeneration or injury in the adult CNS may be achieved by manipulating ephrin signaling pathways. ..
- Vidovic M, Marotte L, Mark R. Marsupial retinocollicular system shows differential expression of messenger RNA encoding EphA receptors and their ligands during development. J Neurosci Res. 1999;57:244-54 pubmed..Nevertheless, expression is not the same as in the mouse, suggesting differences in the details of topographic coding between species. ..
- Contractor A, Rogers C, Maron C, Henkemeyer M, Swanson G, Heinemann S. Trans-synaptic Eph receptor-ephrin signaling in hippocampal mossy fiber LTP. Science. 2002;296:1864-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that PDZ interactions in the postsynaptic neuron and trans-synaptic interactions between postsynaptic EphB receptors and presynaptic B-ephrins are necessary for the induction of mossy fiber LTP. ..
- Sefton M, Araujo M, Nieto M. Novel expression gradients of Eph-like receptor tyrosine kinases in the developing chick retina. Dev Biol. 1997;188:363-8 pubmed..We also demonstrate a dorsal to ventral expression gradient for Cek11, an Eck-like receptor, the Eph subclass previously suggested to specify positional information along the temporonasal axis. ..
- Piñon M, Tuoc T, Ashery Padan R, Molnar Z, Stoykova A. Altered molecular regionalization and normal thalamocortical connections in cortex-specific Pax6 knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8724-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Pax6 expression gradients in cortical progenitors do not directly impart thalamocortical or corticofugal areal identity. ..
- Rogers J, Ciossek T, Menzel P, Pasquale E. Eph receptors and ephrins demarcate cerebellar lobules before and during their formation. Mech Dev. 1999;87:119-28 pubmed..These expression patterns define previously unknown developmental units and suggest that Eph family proteins may contribute to cerebellar morphogenesis. ..
- Araujo M, Piedra M, Herrera M, Ros M, Nieto M. The expression and regulation of chick EphA7 suggests roles in limb patterning and innervation. Development. 1998;125:4195-204 pubmed..Moreover, they implicate the Eph receptor family in the patterning and innervation of the developing limb, extending its role in axon pathfinding to the distal periphery. ..
- Lawrenson I, Wimmer Kleikamp S, Lock P, Schoenwaelder S, Down M, Boyd A, et al. Ephrin-A5 induces rounding, blebbing and de-adhesion of EphA3-expressing 293T and melanoma cells by CrkII and Rho-mediated signalling. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1059-72 pubmed
- Shaut C, Saneyoshi C, Morgan E, Knosp W, Sexton D, Stadler H. HOXA13 directly regulates EphA6 and EphA7 expression in the genital tubercle vascular endothelia. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:951-60 pubmed..Together these findings indicate that HOXA13 directly regulates EphA6 and EphA7 in the developing GT and identifies the GT vascular endothelia as a novel site for HOXA13-dependent expression of EphA6 and EphA7. ..
- Oury F, Murakami Y, Renaud J, Pasqualetti M, Charnay P, Ren S, et al. Hoxa2- and rhombomere-dependent development of the mouse facial somatosensory map. Science. 2006;313:1408-13 pubmed..Thus, Hoxa2- and rhombomere 3-dependent cues determine the whisker area map and are required for the assembly of the whisker-to-barrel somatosensory circuit. ..
- Marin O, Blanco M, Nieto M. Differential expression of Eph receptors and ephrins correlates with the formation of topographic projections in primary and secondary visual circuits of the embryonic chick forebrain. Dev Biol. 2001;234:289-303 pubmed..These results suggest a conserved function for EphA receptors and their ligands in the elaboration of topographic maps at multiple levels of the visual pathway. ..
- Lai K, Ip F, Cheung J, Fu A, Ip N. Expression of Eph receptors in skeletal muscle and their localization at the neuromuscular junction. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:1034-47 pubmed..Since actin cytoskeleton is critical to the formation and stability of NMJ, the present findings raise the intriguing possibility that Eph receptors may have a novel role in NMJ formation and/or maintenance. ..
- Rashid T, Upton A, Blentic A, Ciossek T, Knöll B, Thompson I, et al. Opposing gradients of ephrin-As and EphA7 in the superior colliculus are essential for topographic mapping in the mammalian visual system. Neuron. 2005;47:57-69 pubmed..These findings suggest that opposing ephrin-A and EphA gradients are required for the proper development of the retinocollicular projection. ..
- Yates P, Roskies A, McLaughlin T, O Leary D. Topographic-specific axon branching controlled by ephrin-As is the critical event in retinotectal map development. J Neurosci. 2001;21:8548-63 pubmed..Ephrin-As inhibit branching along RGC axons posterior to their correct TZ, but alone cannot account for topographic branching and must cooperate with other molecular activities to generate appropriate mapping along the A-P tectal axis. ..
- Caronia G, Goodman F, McKeown C, Scambler P, Zappavigna V. An I47L substitution in the HOXD13 homeodomain causes a novel human limb malformation by producing a selective loss of function. Development. 2003;130:1701-12 pubmed
- Yun M, Johnson R, Antic A, Donoghue M. EphA family gene expression in the developing mouse neocortex: regional patterns reveal intrinsic programs and extrinsic influence. J Comp Neurol. 2003;456:203-16 pubmed
- Biervert C, Horvath E, Fahrig T. Semiquantitative expression analysis of ephrine-receptor tyrosine kinase mRNA's in a rat model of traumatic brain injury. Neurosci Lett. 2001;315:25-8 pubmed..Most Eph kinases did not show significant regulation at gene expression level during the time course of recovery from acute brain injury but there is some evidence that mRNA of EphB1 might be slightly upregulated. ..
- Matsunaga T, Greene M, Davis J. Distinct expression patterns of eph receptors and ephrins relate to the structural organization of the adult rat peripheral vestibular system. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:1599-616 pubmed..Taken together, these results identify the Eph receptors and ephrins as candidate molecular substrates for defining some aspects of the structural organization of the adult peripheral vestibular system. ..
- Tsuboi M, Mori H, Bunai T, Kageyama S, Suzuki M, Okudela K, et al. Secreted form of EphA7 in lung cancer. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:635-40 pubmed..This is the first study to detect the secreted form of EPHA7 in human epithelial tissues. EPHA7 warrants further investigation to determine its possible involvement in smoking related lung carcinogenesis. ..
- Yue Y, Chen Z, Gale N, Blair Flynn J, Hu T, Yue X, et al. Mistargeting hippocampal axons by expression of a truncated Eph receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10777-82 pubmed..Our observations provide strong support for a critical role of Eph family guidance factors in regulating ontogeny of hippocampal projections. ..