Genomes and Genes
phosphatidylethanolamine n methyltransferase
Summary: An enzyme that catalyses three sequential METHYLATION reactions for conversion of phosphatidylethanolamine to PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE.
- Jun D, Han J, Jang E, Kim S, Kim S, Jo Y, et al. Polymorphisms of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein gene and phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase gene in alcoholic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Koreans. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;21:667-72 pubmed publisher..In this study, MTTP-I128T polymorphism is associated with central obesity, elevated liver enzymes, and alcoholic fatty liver disease. ..
- Li Y, Zou W, Yan Q, Xu Y, Xia Q, Tsui Z, et al. Over-expression of pemt2 into rat hepatoma cells contributes to the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. IUBMB Life. 2009;61:846-52 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that, in rat hepatoma cells, PEMT2-induced apoptosis proceeds through mitochondria. ..
- Fischer L, da Costa K, Galanko J, Sha W, Stephenson B, Vick J, et al. Choline intake and genetic polymorphisms influence choline metabolite concentrations in human breast milk and plasma. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:336-46 pubmed publisher..This study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00678925. ..
- Dechamps S, Maynadier M, Wein S, Gannoun Zaki L, Maréchal E, Vial H. Rodent and nonrodent malaria parasites differ in their phospholipid metabolic pathways. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:81-96 pubmed publisher..The findings should facilitate efforts to develop more rational approaches to identify and evaluate new targets for antimalarial therapy. ..
- Cole L, Jacobs R, Vance D. Tamoxifen induces triacylglycerol accumulation in the mouse liver by activation of fatty acid synthesis. Hepatology. 2010;52:1258-65 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of fatty acid synthesis might, therefore, ameliorate steatosis/steatohepatitis in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen. ..
- Niculescu M, da Costa K, Fischer L, Zeisel S. Lymphocyte gene expression in subjects fed a low-choline diet differs between those who develop organ dysfunction and those who do not. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:230-9 pubmed..These findings support our hypothesis that a person's susceptibility to organ dysfunction when fed a low-choline diet is modulated by specific SNPs in genes involved in folate and choline metabolism. ..
- Guenin S, Morvan D, Thivat E, Stepien G, Demidem A. Combined methionine deprivation and chloroethylnitrosourea have time-dependent therapeutic synergy on melanoma tumors that NMR spectroscopy-based metabolomics explains by methionine and phospholipid metabolism reprogramming. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61:518-29 pubmed publisher..It follows that combination therapy of MDS with CENU seems to intensify adaptive processes, which may set limitations to this therapeutic strategy. ..
- Mostowska A, Hozyasz K, Biedziak B, Misiak J, Jagodzinski P. Polymorphisms located in the region containing BHMT and BHMT2 genes as maternal protective factors for orofacial clefts. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:325-32 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study identified a novel gene, the nucleotide variants of which were be associated with a decreased risk of having a baby with NCL/P. ..
- Li H, Zhang H, Liu L, Ju G, Jin S, Ye L, et al. No association of the rs4646396 SNP in the PEMT locus with schizophrenia in a Chinese case-control sample. Psychiatry Res. 2009;169:176-7 pubmed publisher..However, our results in this study failed to confirm our earlier finding that the C allele was preferentially transmitted by parents to their offspring affected with schizophrenia in a family-based study among the Chinese population. ..
- Cole L, Vance D. A role for Sp1 in transcriptional regulation of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase in liver and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11880-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data established that Sp1 binding was required for tamoxifen-mediated inhibition of Pemt promoter activity. ..
- Williams K, Schalinske K. Homocysteine metabolism and its relation to health and disease. Biofactors. 2010;36:19-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, the mechanistic relation between homocysteine balance and disease states, as well as the value of homocysteine management, remains an area of intense investigation. ..
- Zhao Y, Su B, Jacobs R, Kennedy B, Francis G, Waddington E, et al. Lack of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase alters plasma VLDL phospholipids and attenuates atherosclerosis in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1349-55 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that inhibition of hepatic phospholipid biosynthesis attenuates atherosclerosis. ..
- Zivkovic A, Bruce German J, Esfandiari F, Halsted C. Quantitative lipid metabolomic changes in alcoholic micropigs with fatty liver disease. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:751-8 pubmed publisher..g., lipid synthesis) and altered phospholipid metabolism (e.g., lipid export) contribute to the excessive accumulation of lipids in liver affected by ASH. ..
- Xu X, Gammon M, Zeisel S, Lee Y, Wetmur J, Teitelbaum S, et al. Choline metabolism and risk of breast cancer in a population-based study. FASEB J. 2008;22:2045-52 pubmed publisher..We observed a significant interaction between dietary betaine intake and the PEMT rs7926 polymorphism (P(interaction)=0.04). Our findings suggest that choline metabolism may play an important role in breast cancer etiology. ..
- Resseguie M, Song J, Niculescu M, da Costa K, Randall T, Zeisel S. Phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase (PEMT) gene expression is induced by estrogen in human and mouse primary hepatocytes. FASEB J. 2007;21:2622-32 pubmed..This study is the first to explore the underlying mechanism of why dietary requirements for choline vary with estrogen status in humans. ..
- Morita S, Takeuchi A, Kitagawa S. Functional analysis of two isoforms of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. Biochem J. 2010;432:387-98 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose a model in which the enzymatic activity and substrate specificity are regulated by the glycosylated N-terminal region of PEMT-L localized in the ER lumen. ..
- Fischer L, da Costa K, Kwock L, Galanko J, Zeisel S. Dietary choline requirements of women: effects of estrogen and genetic variation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:1113-9 pubmed publisher..Choline requirements for both groups of women are further increased by rs12325817. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00065546. ..