Genomes and Genes
phosphatidylethanolamine n methyltransferase
Summary: An enzyme that catalyses three sequential METHYLATION reactions for conversion of phosphatidylethanolamine to PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE.
- Jacobs R, Zhao Y, Koonen D, Sletten T, Su B, Lingrell S, et al. Impaired de novo choline synthesis explains why phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase-deficient mice are protected from diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:22403-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, de novo synthesis of choline via PEMT has a previously unappreciated role in regulating whole body energy metabolism. ..
- Zhou Y, Li Y, Nie Y, Yang H, Zhan Q, Huang J, et al. Influence of polygenetic polymorphisms on the susceptibility to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease of Chinese people. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25:772-7 pubmed publisher..Most candidate genes' SNP examined in metabolic syndrome patients were associated with susceptibility to NAFLD. ..
- Jost R, Berkowitz O, Shaw J, Masle J. Biochemical characterization of two wheat phosphoethanolamine N-methyltransferase isoforms with different sensitivities to inhibition by phosphatidic acid. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:31962-71 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the complex regulatory circuits of phospholipid biosynthesis in plants and underline the importance of head group biosynthesis in adaptive stress responses...
- Song J, da Costa K, Fischer L, Kohlmeier M, Kwock L, Wang S, et al. Polymorphism of the PEMT gene and susceptibility to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). FASEB J. 2005;19:1266-71 pubmed..9% of the NAFLD subjects and in only 40.7% of control subjects (P<0.03). For the first time we report that a polymorphism of the human PEMT gene (V175M) is associated with diminished activity and may confer susceptibility to NAFLD. ..
- Caudill M, Dellschaft N, Solis C, Hinkis S, Ivanov A, Nash Barboza S, et al. Choline intake, plasma riboflavin, and the phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase G5465A genotype predict plasma homocysteine in folate-deplete Mexican-American men with the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677TT genotype. J Nutr. 2009;139:727-33 pubmed publisher..001); an effect confined to the MTHFR 677TT genotype. Thus, in folate-deplete men, several factors with roles in 1-carbon metabolism interact with the MTHFR C677T genotype to affect plasma tHcy. ..
- BeGora M, Macleod M, McCarry B, Summers P, Weretilnyk E. Identification of phosphomethylethanolamine N-methyltransferase from Arabidopsis and its role in choline and phospholipid metabolism. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29147-55 pubmed publisher..This raises a question regarding the role of PMEAMT in plants and whether it serves to prevent the accumulation of PtdMEA to potentially deleterious levels. ..
- da Costa K, Kozyreva O, Song J, Galanko J, Fischer L, Zeisel S. Common genetic polymorphisms affect the human requirement for the nutrient choline. FASEB J. 2006;20:1336-44 pubmed..Identification of common polymorphisms that affect dietary requirements for choline could enable us to identify individuals for whom we need to assure adequate dietary choline intake. ..
- Vance D, Vance J. Physiological consequences of disruption of mammalian phospholipid biosynthetic genes. J Lipid Res. 2009;50 Suppl:S132-7 pubmed publisher..Future research should extend our knowledge about the function of these and other enzymes of phospholipid biosynthesis. ..
- Jun D, Han J, Jang E, Kim S, Kim S, Jo Y, et al. Polymorphisms of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein gene and phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase gene in alcoholic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Koreans. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;21:667-72 pubmed publisher..In this study, MTTP-I128T polymorphism is associated with central obesity, elevated liver enzymes, and alcoholic fatty liver disease. ..
- Li Y, Zou W, Yan Q, Xu Y, Xia Q, Tsui Z, et al. Over-expression of pemt2 into rat hepatoma cells contributes to the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. IUBMB Life. 2009;61:846-52 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that, in rat hepatoma cells, PEMT2-induced apoptosis proceeds through mitochondria. ..
- Fischer L, da Costa K, Galanko J, Sha W, Stephenson B, Vick J, et al. Choline intake and genetic polymorphisms influence choline metabolite concentrations in human breast milk and plasma. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:336-46 pubmed publisher..This study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00678925. ..
- Dechamps S, Maynadier M, Wein S, Gannoun Zaki L, Maréchal E, Vial H. Rodent and nonrodent malaria parasites differ in their phospholipid metabolic pathways. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:81-96 pubmed publisher..The findings should facilitate efforts to develop more rational approaches to identify and evaluate new targets for antimalarial therapy. ..
- Cole L, Jacobs R, Vance D. Tamoxifen induces triacylglycerol accumulation in the mouse liver by activation of fatty acid synthesis. Hepatology. 2010;52:1258-65 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of fatty acid synthesis might, therefore, ameliorate steatosis/steatohepatitis in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen. ..
- Niculescu M, da Costa K, Fischer L, Zeisel S. Lymphocyte gene expression in subjects fed a low-choline diet differs between those who develop organ dysfunction and those who do not. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:230-9 pubmed..These findings support our hypothesis that a person's susceptibility to organ dysfunction when fed a low-choline diet is modulated by specific SNPs in genes involved in folate and choline metabolism. ..
- Guenin S, Morvan D, Thivat E, Stepien G, Demidem A. Combined methionine deprivation and chloroethylnitrosourea have time-dependent therapeutic synergy on melanoma tumors that NMR spectroscopy-based metabolomics explains by methionine and phospholipid metabolism reprogramming. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61:518-29 pubmed publisher..It follows that combination therapy of MDS with CENU seems to intensify adaptive processes, which may set limitations to this therapeutic strategy. ..
- Mostowska A, Hozyasz K, Biedziak B, Misiak J, Jagodzinski P. Polymorphisms located in the region containing BHMT and BHMT2 genes as maternal protective factors for orofacial clefts. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:325-32 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study identified a novel gene, the nucleotide variants of which were be associated with a decreased risk of having a baby with NCL/P. ..
- Li H, Zhang H, Liu L, Ju G, Jin S, Ye L, et al. No association of the rs4646396 SNP in the PEMT locus with schizophrenia in a Chinese case-control sample. Psychiatry Res. 2009;169:176-7 pubmed publisher..However, our results in this study failed to confirm our earlier finding that the C allele was preferentially transmitted by parents to their offspring affected with schizophrenia in a family-based study among the Chinese population. ..
- Cole L, Vance D. A role for Sp1 in transcriptional regulation of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase in liver and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11880-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data established that Sp1 binding was required for tamoxifen-mediated inhibition of Pemt promoter activity. ..
- Williams K, Schalinske K. Homocysteine metabolism and its relation to health and disease. Biofactors. 2010;36:19-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, the mechanistic relation between homocysteine balance and disease states, as well as the value of homocysteine management, remains an area of intense investigation. ..
- Zhao Y, Su B, Jacobs R, Kennedy B, Francis G, Waddington E, et al. Lack of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase alters plasma VLDL phospholipids and attenuates atherosclerosis in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1349-55 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that inhibition of hepatic phospholipid biosynthesis attenuates atherosclerosis. ..
- Zivkovic A, Bruce German J, Esfandiari F, Halsted C. Quantitative lipid metabolomic changes in alcoholic micropigs with fatty liver disease. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:751-8 pubmed publisher..g., lipid synthesis) and altered phospholipid metabolism (e.g., lipid export) contribute to the excessive accumulation of lipids in liver affected by ASH. ..
- Xu X, Gammon M, Zeisel S, Lee Y, Wetmur J, Teitelbaum S, et al. Choline metabolism and risk of breast cancer in a population-based study. FASEB J. 2008;22:2045-52 pubmed publisher..We observed a significant interaction between dietary betaine intake and the PEMT rs7926 polymorphism (P(interaction)=0.04). Our findings suggest that choline metabolism may play an important role in breast cancer etiology. ..
- Resseguie M, Song J, Niculescu M, da Costa K, Randall T, Zeisel S. Phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase (PEMT) gene expression is induced by estrogen in human and mouse primary hepatocytes. FASEB J. 2007;21:2622-32 pubmed..This study is the first to explore the underlying mechanism of why dietary requirements for choline vary with estrogen status in humans. ..
- Morita S, Takeuchi A, Kitagawa S. Functional analysis of two isoforms of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. Biochem J. 2010;432:387-98 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose a model in which the enzymatic activity and substrate specificity are regulated by the glycosylated N-terminal region of PEMT-L localized in the ER lumen. ..
- Fischer L, da Costa K, Kwock L, Galanko J, Zeisel S. Dietary choline requirements of women: effects of estrogen and genetic variation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:1113-9 pubmed publisher..Choline requirements for both groups of women are further increased by rs12325817. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00065546. ..