Genomes and Genes
glycine n methyltransferase
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the METHYLATION of GLYCINE using S-ADENOSYLMETHIONINE to form SARCOSINE with the concomitant production of S-ADENOSYLHOMOCYSTEINE.
- Martinez Chantar M, Lu S, Mato J, Luka Z, Wagner C, French B, et al. The role of stem cells/progenitor cells in liver carcinogenesis in glycine N-methyltransferase deficient mice. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010;88:234-7 pubmed publisher..Fat 10, a marker for progenitor liver cells, was uniformly expressed by all tumors that developed at 8 and 18 months in GNMT-/- mice. ..
- Georgieva P, Wu Q, McLeish M, Himo F. The reaction mechanism of phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase: a density functional theory study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1794:1831-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, the mechanism of hPNMT is more similar to those of catechol O-methyltransferase and glycine N-methyltransferase than to that of guanidinoacetate N-methyltransferase in which methyl transfer is coupled to proton transfer. ..
- Luka Z, Mudd S, Wagner C. Glycine N-methyltransferase and regulation of S-adenosylmethionine levels. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22507-11 pubmed publisher..This minireview will focus on the latest discoveries in the elucidation of the mechanism of that regulation. ..
- Lee C, Shih Y, Wu C, Chen Y. Characterization of the 5' regulatory region of the human Glycine N-methyltransferase gene. Gene. 2009;443:151-7 pubmed publisher..One functional xenobiotic response element (XRE) located at the -104/-82 region is inducable by benzo[a]pyrene treatment. We believe our results have value for the study of GNMT transcriptional regulation. ..
- Kharbanda K, Vigneswara V, McVicker B, Newlaczyl A, Bailey K, Tuma D, et al. Proteomics reveal a concerted upregulation of methionine metabolic pathway enzymes, and downregulation of carbonic anhydrase-III, in betaine supplemented ethanol-fed rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:523-7 pubmed publisher..Carbonic anhydrase-III can function to resist oxidative stress, and we therefore hypothesise that carbonic anhydrase-III protein levels compromised by ethanol consumption, contribute to ethanol-induced redox stress. ..
- Yen C, Hung J, Ueng Y, Liu S, Chen S, Liu H, et al. Glycine N-methyltransferase affects the metabolism of aflatoxin B1 and blocks its carcinogenic effect. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009;235:296-304 pubmed publisher..9 microM. Therefore, GNMT is a tumor suppressor for HCC and it exerts protective effects in hepatocytes via direct interaction with AFB(1), resulting in reduced AFB(1)-DNA adducts formation and cell death. ..