Genomes and Genes
Summary: A subclass of enzymes of the transferase class that catalyze the transfer of a methyl group from one compound to another. (Dorland, 28th ed) EC 2.1.1.
- Sharma S, Watzinger P, Kötter P, Entian K. Identification of a novel methyltransferase, Bmt2, responsible for the N-1-methyl-adenosine base modification of 25S rRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5428-43 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, the loss of m(1)A2142 modification confers anisomycin and peroxide sensitivity to the cells. Our results underline the importance of RNA modifications in cellular physiology. ..
- Buscaino A, Lejeune E, Audergon P, Hamilton G, Pidoux A, Allshire R. Distinct roles for Sir2 and RNAi in centromeric heterochromatin nucleation, spreading and maintenance. EMBO J. 2013;32:1250-64 pubmed publisher..These analyses reveal that Sir2, together with RNAi, are sufficient to ensure heterochromatin integrity and provide evidence for sequential establishment, spreading and maintenance steps in the assembly of centromeric heterochromatin. ..
- Li X, Geng Z, Wang S, Song X, Hu X, Wang Z. Functional evaluation of Asp76, 84, 102 and 150 in human arsenic(III) methyltransferase (hAS3MT) interacting with S-adenosylmethionine. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:2232-40 pubmed publisher..Asp76 and 84 were located in the SAM-binding pocket, and Asp102 significantly affected SAM-binding via forming hydrogen bonds with SAM. ..
- Ounap K, Käsper L, Kurg A, Kurg R. The human WBSCR22 protein is involved in the biogenesis of the 40S ribosomal subunits in mammalian cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75686 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the WBSCR22 protein is a ribosome biogenesis factor involved in the biosynthesis of 40S ribosomal particles in mammalian cells. ..
- Rhein V, Carroll J, Ding S, Fearnley I, Walker J. NDUFAF7 methylates arginine 85 in the NDUFS2 subunit of human complex I. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33016-26 pubmed publisher..One such factor, NDUFAF7, is predicted to belong to the family of S-adenosylmethionine-dependent methyltransferases characterized by the presence in their structures of a seven-?-strand protein fold...
- Sharma S, Yang J, Watzinger P, Kötter P, Entian K. Yeast Nop2 and Rcm1 methylate C2870 and C2278 of the 25S rRNA, respectively. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:9062-76 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we identified and characterized two putative methyltransferases, Rcm1 and Nop2 to be responsible for these two cytosine methylations, respectively...
- Ajees A, Marapakala K, Packianathan C, Sankaran B, Rosen B. Structure of an As(III) S-adenosylmethionine methyltransferase: insights into the mechanism of arsenic biotransformation. Biochemistry. 2012;51:5476-85 pubmed..A homology model of human As(III) S-adenosylmethionine methyltransferase with the location of known polymorphisms was constructed. The structure provides insights into the mechanism of substrate binding and catalysis. ..
- Drozdz M, Piekarowicz A, Bujnicki J, Radlinska M. Novel non-specific DNA adenine methyltransferases. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:2119-30 pubmed publisher..occupied by mom in Mu they carry an unrelated gene that encodes a protein with homology to DNA adenine N(6)-methyltransferases (hin1523, nma1821, hia5, respectively)...
- Whitcomb S, Fierz B, McGinty R, Holt M, Ito T, Muir T, et al. Histone monoubiquitylation position determines specificity and direction of enzymatic cross-talk with histone methyltransferases Dot1L and PRC2. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23718-25 pubmed publisher..between the most abundant histone ubiquitylation sites, H2AK119ub and H2BK120ub, and two important histone methyltransferases, Dot1L and PRC2...
- Blanco S, Kurowski A, Nichols J, Watt F, Benitah S, Frye M. The RNA-methyltransferase Misu (NSun2) poises epidermal stem cells to differentiate. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002403 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that post-transcriptional RNA methylation can play a previously unappreciated role in controlling stem cell fate. ..
- Chen H, Liu L, Jones S, Banavali N, Kass J, Li Z, et al. Selective inhibition of the West Nile virus methyltransferase by nucleoside analogs. Antiviral Res. 2013;97:232-9 pubmed publisher..Two of these compounds can effectively and competitively inhibit the WNV MTase with IC50 values in micromolar range and, more importantly, do not inhibit human MTase. The compounds can also suppress the WNV replication in cell culture. ..
- Marapakala K, Qin J, Rosen B. Identification of catalytic residues in the As(III) S-adenosylmethionine methyltransferase. Biochemistry. 2012;51:944-51 pubmed publisher..The rate-limiting step was identified as the conversion of DMAs(III) to trimethylarsine, and DMAs(III) accumulates as the principal product. ..
- Deery E, Schroeder S, Lawrence A, Taylor S, Seyedarabi A, Waterman J, et al. An enzyme-trap approach allows isolation of intermediates in cobalamin biosynthesis. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:933-40 pubmed publisher..The tight association of pathway intermediates with enzymes provides evidence for a form of metabolite channeling...
- Peifer C, Sharma S, Watzinger P, Lamberth S, Kötter P, Entian K. Yeast Rrp8p, a novel methyltransferase responsible for m1A 645 base modification of 25S rRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:1151-63 pubmed publisher..This highlights the dual functionality of Rrp8 in the biogenesis of both subunits. ..
- Yu W, Chory E, Wernimont A, Tempel W, Scopton A, Federation A, et al. Catalytic site remodelling of the DOT1L methyltransferase by selective inhibitors. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1288 pubmed publisherSelective inhibition of protein methyltransferases is a promising new approach to drug discovery...
- Cloutier P, Lavallée Adam M, Faubert D, Blanchette M, Coulombe B. A newly uncovered group of distantly related lysine methyltransferases preferentially interact with molecular chaperones to regulate their activity. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003210 pubmed publisher..Recent genome-wide analyses have considerably extended the list of human genes encoding putative methyltransferases. Studies on protein methyltransferases have revealed that the regulatory function of methylation is not ..
- Hussain S, Tuorto F, Menon S, Blanco S, Cox C, Flores J, et al. The mouse cytosine-5 RNA methyltransferase NSun2 is a component of the chromatoid body and required for testis differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:1561-70 pubmed publisher..Specific NSun2- and Dnmt2-methylated tRNAs decreased in abundance when both methyltransferases were deleted, suggesting that RNA methylation pathways play an essential role in male germ cell ..
- Oda K, Kobayashi A, Ohashi S, Sano M. Aspergillus oryzae laeA regulates kojic acid synthesis genes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1832-4 pubmed..Real-time PCR also confirmed that expression of kojic acid biosynthesis genes decreased in the laeA disruption strain, indicating that these genes are under the control of LaeA. ..
- Chen B, Arnold L, Cohen S, Thomas D, Le X. Mouse arsenic (+3 oxidation state) methyltransferase genotype affects metabolism and tissue dosimetry of arsenicals after arsenite administration in drinking water. Toxicol Sci. 2011;124:320-6 pubmed publisher..tri-methylated arsenicals were found in tissues of KO mice, likely reflecting the activity of other tissue methyltransferases or preabsorptive metabolism by the microbiota of the gastrointestinal tract...
- Wu H, Chen L, Zhou Q, Zhang W. AF17 facilitates Dot1a nuclear export and upregulates ENaC-mediated Na+ transport in renal collecting duct cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27429 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that AF17 promotes Dot1a nuclear export and upregulates basal, but not aldosterone-stimulated ENaC expression, leading to an increase in ENaC-mediated Na(+) transport in renal collecting duct cells. ..
- Strunk B, Loucks C, Su M, Vashisth H, Cheng S, Schilling J, et al. Ribosome assembly factors prevent premature translation initiation by 40S assembly intermediates. Science. 2011;333:1449-53 pubmed publisher..These redundant mechanisms probably ensure that pre-40S particles do not enter the translation pathway, which would result in their rapid degradation. ..
- Luo M. Current chemical biology approaches to interrogate protein methyltransferases. ACS Chem Biol. 2012;7:443-63 pubmed publisherProtein methyltransferases (PMTs) play various physiological and pathological roles through methylating histone and nonhistone targets. However, most PMTs including more than 60 human PMTs remain to be fully characterized...
- Dang T, Facchini P. Characterization of three O-methyltransferases involved in noscapine biosynthesis in opium poppy. Plant Physiol. 2012;159:618-31 pubmed publisher..Comparative transcript and metabolite profiling revealed the occurrence of three cDNAs encoding O-methyltransferases designated as SOMT1, SOMT2, and SOMT3 that correlated with the accumulation of noscapine in the eight ..
- Yao Y, Chen P, Diao J, Cheng G, Deng L, Anglin J, et al. Selective inhibitors of histone methyltransferase DOT1L: design, synthesis, and crystallographic studies. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:16746-9 pubmed publisher..inhibitors exhibit only weak or no activities against four other representative histone lysine and arginine methyltransferases, G9a, SUV39H1, PRMT1 and CARM1...
- Daigle S, Olhava E, Therkelsen C, Majer C, Sneeringer C, Song J, et al. Selective killing of mixed lineage leukemia cells by a potent small-molecule DOT1L inhibitor. Cancer Cell. 2011;20:53-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, in vivo administration of EPZ004777 leads to extension of survival in a mouse MLL xenograft model. These results provide compelling support for DOT1L inhibition as a basis for targeted therapeutics against MLL. ..
- Basturea G, Dague D, Deutscher M, Rudd K. YhiQ is RsmJ, the methyltransferase responsible for methylation of G1516 in 16S rRNA of E. coli. J Mol Biol. 2012;415:16-21 pubmed publisherTen methyltransferases and one pseudouridine synthase are required for complete modification of the small ribosomal subunit in Escherichia coli. Nine methyltransferases, as well as the pseudouridine synthase, are already known...
- Chu L, Zhu T, Liu X, Yu R, Bacanamwo M, Dou Z, et al. SUV39H1 orchestrates temporal dynamics of centromeric methylation essential for faithful chromosome segregation in mitosis. J Mol Cell Biol. 2012;4:331-40 pubmed publisher..We reason that SUV39H1 generates a gradient of methylation marks at the kinetochore that provides spatiotemporal information essential for accurate chromosome segregation in mitosis. ..
- Buscaino A, White S, Houston D, Lejeune E, Simmer F, de Lima Alves F, et al. Raf1 Is a DCAF for the Rik1 DDB1-like protein and has separable roles in siRNA generation and chromatin modification. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002499 pubmed publisher..Thus the association of a DCAF, Raf1, with its adaptor, Rik1, is required for histone methylation and to allow RNAi to signal to chromatin. ..
- Gonzalez Lama Y, Bermejo F, Lopez Sanroman A, Garcia Sanchez V, Esteve M, Cabriada J, et al. Thiopurine methyl-transferase activity and azathioprine metabolite concentrations do not predict clinical outcome in thiopurine-treated inflammatory bowel disease patients. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;34:544-54 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support determination of TPMT activity or 6TGN concentrations to predict treatment outcome, and no useful serum metabolites threshold value to adjust the drug's dose was identified. ..
- Squires J, Patel H, Nousch M, Sibbritt T, Humphreys D, Parker B, et al. Widespread occurrence of 5-methylcytosine in human coding and non-coding RNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5023-33 pubmed publisher..In animals, the two m(5)C methyltransferases NSUN2 and TRDMT1 are known to modify specific tRNAs and have roles in the control of cell growth and ..
- Clarke B, Richards M, Greenfield L, Hou D, Lowary T, Whitfield C. In vitro reconstruction of the chain termination reaction in biosynthesis of the Escherichia coli O9a O-polysaccharide: the chain-length regulator, WbdD, catalyzes the addition of methyl phosphate to the non-reducing terminus of the growing glycan. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:41391-401 pubmed publisher
- Wlodarski T, Kutner J, Towpik J, Knizewski L, Rychlewski L, Kudlicki A, et al. Comprehensive structural and substrate specificity classification of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae methyltransferome. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23168 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae by conducting a comprehensive structural and functional survey of all the methyltransferases encoded in its genome. Using distant homology detection and fold recognition, we found that the S...
- Couttas T, Raftery M, Padula M, Herbert B, Wilkins M. Methylation of translation-associated proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Identification of methylated lysines and their methyltransferases. Proteomics. 2012;12:960-72 pubmed publisherThis study aimed to identify sites of lysine methylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and the associated methyltransferases. Hexapeptide ligand affinity chromatography was used to normalize the abundance levels of proteins in whole cell ..
- Martinez F, Lee J, Lee J, Blanco S, Nickerson E, Gabriel S, et al. Whole exome sequencing identifies a splicing mutation in NSUN2 as a cause of a Dubowitz-like syndrome. J Med Genet. 2012;49:380-5 pubmed publisher..NSUN2 has been implicated in Myc-induced cell proliferation and mitotic spindle stability, which might help explain the varied clinical presentation in DS that can include chromosomal instability and immunological defects. ..
- Struck A, Thompson M, Wong L, Micklefield J. S-adenosyl-methionine-dependent methyltransferases: highly versatile enzymes in biocatalysis, biosynthesis and other biotechnological applications. Chembiochem. 2012;13:2642-55 pubmed publisher..This methyl transfer is catalysed by SAM-dependent methyltransferases (MTases), which are by far the largest groups of SAM-dependent enzymes...
- Lee C, Teng Q, Zhong R, Yuan Y, Haghighat M, Ye Z. Three Arabidopsis DUF579 domain-containing GXM proteins are methyltransferases catalyzing 4-o-methylation of glucuronic acid on xylan. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:1934-49 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide the first line of genetic and biochemical evidence that the three DUF579 domain-containing proteins, GXM1, GXM2 and GXM3, are methyltransferases catalyzing 4-O-methylation of GlcA side chains on xylan.
- Sheng J, Li J, Tu S, Sheng Z, Bi S, Zhu M, et al. blaKPC and rmtB on a single plasmid in Enterobacter amnigenus and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from the same patient. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:1585-91 pubmed publisher..The overall results indicate the emergence of E. amnigenus and outbreak of ST11 K. pneumoniae, with both co-harboring blaKPC and rmtB genes on a single plasmid in our neurosurgery wards...
- Kimura S, Ikeuchi Y, Kitahara K, Sakaguchi Y, Suzuki T, Suzuki T. Base methylations in the double-stranded RNA by a fused methyltransferase bearing unwinding activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4071-85 pubmed publisher..In fact, we observed that RlmKL was involved in the efficient assembly of 50S subunit in a mutant strain lacking an RNA helicase deaD. ..
- Grove T, Radle M, Krebs C, Booker S. Cfr and RlmN contain a single [4Fe-4S] cluster, which directs two distinct reactivities for S-adenosylmethionine: methyl transfer by SN2 displacement and radical generation. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:19586-9 pubmed publisher..It serves to methylate C355 of RlmN (C338 of Cfr), or to generate the 5'-deoxyadenosyl 5'-radical, required for substrate-dependent methyl synthase activity. ..
- Dorababu P, Nagesh N, Linga V, Gundeti S, Kutala V, Reddanna P, et al. Epistatic interactions between thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT) and inosine triphosphate pyrophosphatase (ITPA) variations determine 6-mercaptopurine toxicity in Indian children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;68:379-87 pubmed publisher..Testing these variants facilitates tailoring of the 6-MP therapy in children with ALL. ..
- Chen Y, Su C, Ke M, Jin X, Xu L, Zhang Z, et al. Biochemical and structural insights into the mechanisms of SARS coronavirus RNA ribose 2'-O-methylation by nsp16/nsp10 protein complex. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002294 pubmed publisher..SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV) encodes two S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM)-dependent methyltransferases (MTase) which sequentially methylate the RNA cap at guanosine-N7 and ribose 2'-O positions, catalyzed by ..
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Ehrlich K, Wei Q, Bhatnagar D, Ingber B. Effects of laeA deletion on Aspergillus flavus conidial development and hydrophobicity may contribute to loss of aflatoxin production. Fungal Biol. 2012;116:298-307 pubmed publisher..The loss of hydrophobicity and the other developmental changes in the laeA deletion mutants could affect the ability of the fungus to produce aflatoxins...
- Surovtseva Y, Shadel G. Transcription-independent role for human mitochondrial RNA polymerase in mitochondrial ribosome biogenesis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:2479-88 pubmed publisher..The significance of these results is discussed with regard to the mechanism and regulation of human mitochondrial gene expression and the potential multi-functionality of RNA polymerases in general. ..
- Li J, Sheng Z, Deng M, Bi S, Hu F, Miao H, et al. Epidemic of Klebsiella pneumoniae ST11 clone coproducing KPC-2 and 16S rRNA methylase RmtB in a Chinese University Hospital. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:373 pubmed publisher..Emergence of rmtB-positive Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase (KPC)-producing K. pneumoniae (KPC-KP) poses a great threat to antimicrobial treatment options...
- Bulut Karslioglu A, Perrera V, Scaranaro M, de la Rosa Velazquez I, van de Nobelen S, Shukeir N, et al. A transcription factor-based mechanism for mouse heterochromatin formation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1023-30 pubmed publisher..These data define a general model in which reiterated arrangement of transcription factor binding sites within repeat sequences is an intrinsic mechanism of the formation of heterochromatin...
- Squires J, Preiss T. Function and detection of 5-methylcytosine in eukaryotic RNA. Epigenomics. 2010;2:709-15 pubmed publisher..e., in tRNA and rRNA) or virtually unknown (i.e., in mRNA and other noncoding RNA). Two eukaryotic methyltransferases have been demonstrated to place m(5)C in RNA; however, their substrate specificity and cellular functions ..
- Jiang J, Liu X, Yin Y, Ma Z. Involvement of a velvet protein FgVeA in the regulation of asexual development, lipid and secondary metabolisms and virulence in Fusarium graminearum. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28291 pubmed publisher..Additionally, six proteins interacting with FgVeA were identified by yeast two hybrid assays in current study. These results indicate that FgVeA plays a critical role in a variety of cellular processes in F. graminearum. ..
- Punekar A, Shepherd T, Liljeruhm J, Forster A, Selmer M. Crystal structure of RlmM, the 2'O-ribose methyltransferase for C2498 of Escherichia coli 23S rRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:10507-20 pubmed publisher..A continuous surface of conserved positive charge indicates that RlmM uses one side of the two domains and the inter-domain linker to recognize its RNA substrate. ..
- Yun J, Tamada Y, Kang Y, Amasino R. Arabidopsis trithorax-related3/SET domain GROUP2 is required for the winter-annual habit of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:834-46 pubmed publisher..histone modifications, such as tri-methylation of histone H3 at lysine 4 (H3K4me3), and requires three H3K4 methyltransferases, the Drosophila Trithorax-class Arabidopsis trithorax1 (ATX1) and ATX2, and yeast Set1-class ATX-related7/..
- Chaib H, Prebet T, Vey N, Collette Y. [Histone methyltransferases: a new class of therapeutic targets in cancer treatment?]. Med Sci (Paris). 2011;27:725-32 pubmed publisher..Since their links with pathogenesis and progression of cancer were recognized, histone methyltransferases emerge as promising therapeutic targets in cancer treatment.
- Lin H. S-Adenosylmethionine-dependent alkylation reactions: when are radical reactions used?. Bioorg Chem. 2011;39:161-70 pubmed publisher..These reactions include SAM-dependent cyclopropane fatty acid synthesis, DNA cytosine methylation, RNA adenosine C2 and C8 methylation, and 3-amino-3-carboxypropylation involved in diphthamide biosynthesis and wybutosine biosynthesis. ..