Genomes and Genes
one carbon group transferases
Summary: A subclass of transferases that transfer chemical groups containing a single carbon. These include the METHYLTRANSFERASES, the HYDROXYMETHYL AND FORMYL TRANSFERASES, the CARBOXYL AND CARBAMOYL TRANSFERASES, and the AMIDINOTRANSFERASES. EC 2.1.
- Eussen S, Vollset S, Hustad S, Midttun Ø, Meyer K, Fredriksen A, et al. Vitamins B2 and B6 and genetic polymorphisms related to one-carbon metabolism as risk factors for gastric adenocarcinoma in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010;19:28-38 pubmed publisher..In summary, results from this large European cohort study showed an inverse association between vitamin B2 and GC risk, which is borderline significant, and a significant inverse association between vitamin B6 and GC risk. ..
- Tibbetts A, Appling D. Compartmentalization of Mammalian folate-mediated one-carbon metabolism. Annu Rev Nutr. 2010;30:57-81 pubmed publisher..Identifying the mitochondrial transporters for the one-carbon donors and elucidating how flux through these pathways is controlled are two areas ripe for exploration. ..
- Xu X, Gammon M, Zhang H, Wetmur J, Rao M, Teitelbaum S, et al. Polymorphisms of one-carbon-metabolizing genes and risk of breast cancer in a population-based study. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:1504-9 pubmed..Although the pathway is a network of interrelated enzymes, redundancy exists; evaluating the rate-limiting enzyme and its interaction with environment and other genes within the same pathway is critical in assessing breast cancer risk. ..
- Hazra A, Wu K, Kraft P, Fuchs C, Giovannucci E, Hunter D. Twenty-four non-synonymous polymorphisms in the one-carbon metabolic pathway and risk of colorectal adenoma in the Nurses' Health Study. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:1510-9 pubmed..Further investigation is required to validate the association of the polymorphisms in the one-carbon metabolic genes and risk of colorectal adenoma. ..
- Lee Y, Xu X, Wallenstein S, Chen J. Gene expression profiles of the one-carbon metabolism pathway. J Genet Genomics. 2009;36:277-82 pubmed publisher..The components identified by the program agreed with existing knowledge about one-carbon metabolism. This study helps us better understand the biological functions of one-carbon metabolism. ..