Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the transfer of N-acetylhexosaminyl groups to an acceptor molecule which is frequently another carbohydrate. EC 2.4.1.
- Stickens D, Brown D, Evans G. EXT genes are differentially expressed in bone and cartilage during mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2000;218:452-64 pubmed..We suggest a model for exostoses formation based on the involvement of EXT1 and EXT2 in the Indian hedgehog/parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) signaling pathway, an important regulator of the chondrocyte maturation process...
- Kitagawa H, Egusa N, Tamura J, Kusche Gullberg M, Lindahl U, Sugahara K. rib-2, a Caenorhabditis elegans homolog of the human tumor suppressor EXT genes encodes a novel alpha1,4-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase involved in the biosynthetic initiation and elongation of heparan sulfate. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:4834-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that the biosynthetic mechanism of heparan sulfate in C. elegans is distinct from that reported for the mammalian system. ..
- Wuyts W, Van Hul W. Characterization and genomic localization of the mouse Extl2 gene. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2000;89:185-8 pubmed..By radiation hybrid analysis, Extl2 was mapped to mouse chromosome 3, in a region homologous to the human EXTL2 region on chromosome 1. ..
- Kurakake M, Goto T, Ashiki K, Suenaga Y, Komaki T. Synthesis of new glycosides by transglycosylation of N-acetylhexosaminidase from Serratia marcescens YS-1. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51:1701-5 pubmed..A dialcohol was used as an acceptor when the carbon number was more than 4 and a hydroxyl group existed on each of the two outside carbons. Sugar alcohols with hydroxyl groups in all carbon positions were not proper acceptors. ..
- Xu L, Xia J, Jiang H, Zhou J, Li H, Wang D, et al. Mutation analysis of hereditary multiple exostoses in the Chinese. Hum Genet. 1999;105:45-50 pubmed..Our findings suggest a possibly different genetic spectrum of this disease in different populations...
- Kitagawa H, Shimakawa H, Sugahara K. The tumor suppressor EXT-like gene EXTL2 encodes an alpha1, 4-N-acetylhexosaminyltransferase that transfers N-acetylgalactosamine and N-acetylglucosamine to the common glycosaminoglycan-protein linkage region. The key enzyme for the chain initiation . J Biol Chem. 1999;274:13933-7 pubmed
- Schachter H. The joys of HexNAc. The synthesis and function of N- and O-glycan branches. Glycoconj J. 2000;17:465-83 pubmed..7) The crystal structure of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I. (8) The discovery of the enzymes which synthesize O-glycan cores 1, 2, 3 and 4 and their elongation. ..
- Goddat J, Grey A, Hricovini M, Grushcow J, Carver J, Shah R. Synthesis of di- and tri-saccharides with intramolecular NH-glycosidic linkages: molecules with flexible and rigid glycosidic bonds for conformational studies. Carbohydr Res. 1994;252:159-70 pubmed..The unusual intra NH-glycosyl character makes the linkage rigid, and therefore these compounds should not only be useful for NMR studies but also as substrates or inhibitors of GlcNAc-transferases. ..
- Barr K, Ward S, Meier Dieter U, Mayer H, Rick P. Characterization of an Escherichia coli rff mutant defective in transfer of N-acetylmannosaminuronic acid (ManNAcA) from UDP-ManNAcA to a lipid-linked intermediate involved in enterobacterial common antigen synthesis. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:228-33 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the conclusion that the rff-726 mutation is located in the structural gene for the transferase that catalyzes the transfer of ManNAcA from UDP-ManNAcA to lipid I. ..