Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the transfer of mannose from a nucleoside diphosphate mannose to an acceptor molecule which is frequently another carbohydrate. The group includes EC 22.214.171.124, EC 126.96.36.199, EC 188.8.131.52, and EC 184.108.40.206.
- Lyalin D, Koles K, Roosendaal S, Repnikova E, Van Wechel L, Panin V. The twisted gene encodes Drosophila protein O-mannosyltransferase 2 and genetically interacts with the rotated abdomen gene encoding Drosophila protein O-mannosyltransferase 1. Genetics. 2006;172:343-53 pubmedThe family of mammalian O-mannosyltransferases includes two enzymes, POMT1 and POMT2, which are thought to be essential for muscle and neural development...
- O Reilly M, Zhang G, Imperiali B. In vitro evidence for the dual function of Alg2 and Alg11: essential mannosyltransferases in N-linked glycoprotein biosynthesis. Biochemistry. 2006;45:9593-603 pubmed..identification of most of the dolichol pathway enzymes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the roles of two of the mannosyltransferases in the pathway, Alg2 and Alg11, have remained ambiguous because these enzymes appear to catalyze only two ..
- Hutzler J, Schmid M, Bernard T, Henrissat B, Strahl S. Membrane association is a determinant for substrate recognition by PMT4 protein O-mannosyltransferases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7827-32 pubmed..In mouse and yeasts, loss of O-mannosylation causes lethality. Protein O-mannosyltransferases (PMTs) initiate the assembly of O-mannosyl glycans...
- Guerin M, Kordulakova J, Schaeffer F, Svetlikova Z, Buschiazzo A, Giganti D, et al. Molecular recognition and interfacial catalysis by the essential phosphatidylinositol mannosyltransferase PimA from mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20705-14 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel mode of phosphatidylinositol recognition and provide a template for the development of potential antimycobacterial compounds...
- Mora Montes H, Bates S, Netea M, Castillo L, Brand A, Buurman E, et al. A multifunctional mannosyltransferase family in Candida albicans determines cell wall mannan structure and host-fungus interactions. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12087-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the MNT1/KRE2 gene family participates in three types of protein mannosylation in C. albicans, and these modifications play vital roles in fungal cell wall structure and cell surface recognition by the innate immune system. ..
- Sato K, Noda Y, Yoda K. Pga1 is an essential component of Glycosylphosphatidylinositol-mannosyltransferase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3472-85 pubmed..The gpi18(ts) and pga1(ts) mutants accumulated the same GPI synthetic intermediate at the restrictive temperature. From these results, we concluded that Pga1 is an additional essential component of the yeast GPI-MT II. ..
- Lea Smith D, Martin K, Pyke J, Tull D, McConville M, Coppel R, et al. Analysis of a new mannosyltransferase required for the synthesis of phosphatidylinositol mannosides and lipoarbinomannan reveals two lipomannan pools in corynebacterineae. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6773-82 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that NCgl2106/Rv2188c and the previously studied PimB/Rv0557 transfer mannose residues to distinct mannoglycolipids that act as precursors for LAM and LM, respectively. ..
- Hirayama H, Suzuki T. Metabolism of free oligosaccharides is facilitated in the och1? mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Glycobiology. 2011;21:1341-8 pubmed publisher..A significant increase in the amount of fOSs modified by Golgi-localized mannosyltransferases was also observed in och1? cells...
- Harty C, Strahl S, Römisch K. O-mannosylation protects mutant alpha-factor precursor from endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1093-101 pubmed..We conclude that there is a limited window of time during which misfolded proteins can be removed from the ER before they acquire inappropriate modifications that can interfere with disposal through the Sec61 channel. ..
- Zhou J, Zhang H, Liu X, Wang P, Qi Q. Influence of N-glycosylation on Saccharomyces cerevisiae morphology: a golgi glycosylation mutant shows cell division defects. Curr Microbiol. 2007;55:198-204 pubmed..Matrix assisted laser desoption/ionization time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI TOF/MS) analysis of the N-glycan structure of the mnn1 och1 mutant revealed that the main component is Man(8)GlcNAc(2). ..
- Cantero P, Ernst J. Damage to the glycoshield activates PMT-directed O-mannosylation via the Msb2-Cek1 pathway in Candida albicans. Mol Microbiol. 2011;80:715-25 pubmed publisherProtein-O-mannosyltransferases (Pmt) transfer mannosyl residues to secretory proteins. Five isoforms of Pmt proteins in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans have distinct functions in growth, morphogenesis and antifungal resistance...
- Akasaka Manya K, Manya H, Endo T. Mutations of the POMT1 gene found in patients with Walker-Warburg syndrome lead to a defect of protein O-mannosylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;325:75-9 pubmed..This may cause failure of binding between alpha-dystroglycan and laminin or other molecules in the extracellular matrix and interrupt normal muscular function and migration of neurons in developing brain. ..
- Kriangkripipat T, Momany M. Aspergillus nidulans protein O-mannosyltransferases play roles in cell wall integrity and developmental patterning. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1475-85 pubmed publisherProtein O-mannosyltransferases (Pmts) initiate O-mannosyl glycan biosynthesis from Ser and Thr residues of target proteins. Fungal Pmts are divided into three subfamilies, Pmt1, -2, and -4...
- Willer T, Valero M, Tanner W, Cruces J, Strahl S. O-mannosyl glycans: from yeast to novel associations with human disease. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2003;13:621-30 pubmed..Their association with neuromuscular diseases has focused the attention of different research areas on protein O-mannosylation. ..
- Choi B, Bobrowicz P, Davidson R, Hamilton S, Kung D, Li H, et al. Use of combinatorial genetic libraries to humanize N-linked glycosylation in the yeast Pichia pastoris. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5022-7 pubmed..Here we report a yeast able to synthesize hybrid glycans in high yield and open the door for engineering yeast to perform complex human-like glycosylation. ..
- Mercuri E, Messina S, Bruno C, Mora M, Pegoraro E, Comi G, et al. Congenital muscular dystrophies with defective glycosylation of dystroglycan: a population study. Neurology. 2009;72:1802-9 pubmed publisher..Our data broaden the clinical spectrum associated with mutations in glycosyltransferases and provide data on their prevalence in the Italian population. ..
- Morita Y, Sena C, Waller R, Kurokawa K, Sernee M, Nakatani F, et al. PimE is a polyprenol-phosphate-mannose-dependent mannosyltransferase that transfers the fifth mannose of phosphatidylinositol mannoside in mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25143-55 pubmed..The mannosyltransferases that convert AcPIM2 to AcPIM6 or LAM are dependent on polyprenol-phosphate-mannose (PPM), but have not yet ..
- Uccelletti D, Farina F, Rufini S, Magnelli P, Abeijon C, Palleschi C. The Kluyveromyces lactis alpha1,6-mannosyltransferase KlOch1p is required for cell-wall organization and proper functioning of the secretory pathway. FEMS Yeast Res. 2006;6:449-57 pubmed..Such a capability, accompanied by the highly reduced N-glycosylation, may be of biotechnological interest, especially when hyper-glycosylation of recombinant products must be avoided. ..
- Godfrey C, Clement E, Mein R, Brockington M, Smith J, Talim B, et al. Refining genotype phenotype correlations in muscular dystrophies with defective glycosylation of dystroglycan. Brain. 2007;130:2725-35 pubmed..Mutations in these five glycosyltransferase genes were detected in 34% of patients indicating that, after the exclusion of FKRP, the majority of patients with a dystroglycanopathy harbour mutations in novel genes. ..
- Schmidt M, Strenk M, Boyer M, Fritsch B. Importance of cell wall mannoproteins for septum formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2005;22:715-23 pubmed..We discuss a model explaining the pleiotropic effects of impaired N-linked protein glycosylation on septation in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Orchard M, Neuss J, Galley C, Carr A, Porter D, Smith P, et al. Rhodanine-3-acetic acid derivatives as inhibitors of fungal protein mannosyl transferase 1 (PMT1). Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2004;14:3975-8 pubmed..These compounds could serve as useful tools for studying the effects of protein O-mannosylation and its relevance in the search for novel antifungal agents. ..
- Flint J, Taylor E, Yang M, Bolam D, Tailford L, Martinez Fleites C, et al. Structural dissection and high-throughput screening of mannosylglycerate synthase. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:608-14 pubmed..Nucleotide specificity is as important in GDP-D-mannose recognition as the nature of the donor sugar. ..
- Willer T, Brandl M, Sipiczki M, Strahl S. Protein O-mannosylation is crucial for cell wall integrity, septation and viability in fission yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2005;57:156-70 pubmedProtein O-mannosyltransferases (PMTs) initiate the assembly of O-mannosyl glycans, which are of fundamental importance in eukaryotes. The PMT family, which is classified into PMT1, PMT2 and PMT4 subfamilies, is evolutionarily conserved...
- Morita Y, Velasquez R, Taig E, Waller R, Patterson J, Tull D, et al. Compartmentalization of lipid biosynthesis in mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:21645-52 pubmed..The formation of the PMf and recruitment of enzymes to this domain may thus play a role in regulating growth-specific changes in the biosynthesis of membrane and cell wall lipids. ..
- Lobsanov Y, Romero P, Sleno B, Yu B, Yip P, Herscovics A, et al. Structure of Kre2p/Mnt1p: a yeast alpha1,2-mannosyltransferase involved in mannoprotein biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17921-31 pubmed..The importance of Tyr(220) in both mechanisms is highlighted by a 3000-fold reduction in k(cat) in the Y220F mutant. ..
- Lommel M, Bagnat M, Strahl S. Aberrant processing of the WSC family and Mid2p cell surface sensors results in cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae O-mannosylation mutants. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:46-57 pubmed..Reduced O mannosylation leads to incorrect proteolytic processing of these proteins, which in turn results in impaired activation of the PKC1 pathway and finally causes cell death in the absence of osmotic stabilization. ..
- Nakamura N, Stalnaker S, Lyalin D, Lavrova O, Wells L, Panin V. Drosophila Dystroglycan is a target of O-mannosyltransferase activity of two protein O-mannosyltransferases, Rotated Abdomen and Twisted. Glycobiology. 2010;20:381-94 pubmed publisher..one of the most prominent types of alpha-dystroglycan glycosylation mediated by two protein O-mannosyltransferases. Drosophila appears to possess homologs of all essential components of the mammalian dystroglycan-mediated ..
- Song Y, Choi M, Park J, Kim M, Kim E, Kang H, et al. Engineering of the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica for the production of glycoproteins lacking the outer-chain mannose residues of N-glycans. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:4446-54 pubmed..Therefore, the Yloch1 mutant strain can be used as a host to produce glycoproteins lacking the outer-chain mannoses and further developed for the production of therapeutic glycoproteins containing human-compatible oligosaccharides. ..
- Clarke N, Maugenre S, Vandebrouck A, Urtizberea J, Willer T, Peat R, et al. Congenital muscular dystrophy type 1D (MDC1D) due to a large intragenic insertion/deletion, involving intron 10 of the LARGE gene. Eur J Hum Genet. 2011;19:452-7 pubmed publisher..The exact function of LARGE, a golgi protein, remains uncertain. POMT and POMGnT enzyme activities were normal in patients' lymphoblast cells, suggesting that defects in LARGE do not affect the initiation of O-mannosyl glycans...
- Gao X, Nishikawa A, Dean N. Physical interactions between the Alg1, Alg2, and Alg11 mannosyltransferases of the endoplasmic reticulum. Glycobiology. 2004;14:559-70 pubmed..glycoproteins, mannosylation of Man(5)GlcNAc(2)-PP-dolichol is catalyzed by the Alg1, Alg2, and Alg11 mannosyltransferases. We provide evidence for a physical interaction between these proteins...
- Wairkar Y, Fradkin L, Noordermeer J, DiAntonio A. Synaptic defects in a Drosophila model of congenital muscular dystrophy. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3781-9 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the model that dPOMT1-dependent glycosylation of Dg is necessary for proper synaptic function and raise the possibility that similar synaptic defects occur in the congenital muscular dystrophies. ..
- Zanni E, Farina F, Ricci A, Mancini P, Frank C, Palleschi C, et al. The Golgi alpha-1,6 mannosyltransferase KlOch1p of Kluyveromyces lactis is required for Ca2+/calmodulin-based signaling and for proper mitochondrial functionality. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:86 pubmed publisher..Proper functioning of the alpha-1,6-mannosyltransferase in the N-glycosylation pathway of K. lactis is required for maintaining normal calcium homeostasis; this is necessary for physiological mitochondria dynamics and functionality...
- Baulard A, Gurcha S, Engohang Ndong J, Gouffi K, Locht C, Besra G. In vivo interaction between the polyprenol phosphate mannose synthase Ppm1 and the integral membrane protein Ppm2 from Mycobacterium smegmatis revealed by a bacterial two-hybrid system. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2242-8 pubmed..This interaction is reminiscent of that of mammalian Dpm1 with Dpm3 and mimics the structure of MtPpm1 as demonstrated by the capacity of the two domains of MtPpm1 to spontaneously interact when co-expressed in E. coli. ..
- Mishra A, Alderwick L, Rittmann D, Wang C, Bhatt A, Jacobs W, et al. Identification of a novel alpha(1-->6) mannopyranosyltransferase MptB from Corynebacterium glutamicum by deletion of a conserved gene, NCgl1505, affords a lipomannan- and lipoarabinomannan-deficient mutant. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:1595-613 pubmed publisher..smegmatis did not result in loss of mycobacterial LM/LAM, indicating a functional redundancy for this enzyme in mycobacteria. ..
- Karhinen L, Makarow M. Activity of recycling Golgi mannosyltransferases in the yeast endoplasmic reticulum. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:351-8 pubmed..Golgi-specific glycosylation in the ER was reduced when Golgi-to-ER traffic was blocked, confirming that glycan extension in the ER was mainly due to recycling, rather than newly synthesized transferases. ..
- Zhang P, Hu H. Differential glycosylation of ?-dystroglycan and proteins other than ?-dystroglycan by like-glycosyltransferase. Glycobiology. 2012;22:235-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, LARGE expression mediates the phosphoryl glycosylation of not only O-mannosyl glycans including those on ?-DG but also N-glycans on proteins other than ?-DG. ..
- Hopkins D, Gomathinayagam S, Rittenhour A, Du M, Hoyt E, Karaveg K, et al. Elimination of ?-mannose glycan structures in Pichia pastoris. Glycobiology. 2011;21:1616-26 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the elimination of ?-Man containing glycoforms represents an important step forward for the Pichia production platform as a suitable system for the production of therapeutic glycoproteins. ..
- Girrbach V, Zeller T, Priesmeier M, Strahl Bolsinger S. Structure-function analysis of the dolichyl phosphate-mannose: protein O-mannosyltransferase ScPmt1p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19288-96 pubmed..It is initiated at the endoplasmic reticulum by a family of dolichyl phosphate-mannose:protein O-mannosyltransferases (Pmts), which is evolutionarily conserved from yeast to humans...
- Lengeler K, Tielker D, Ernst J. Protein-O-mannosyltransferases in virulence and development. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008;65:528-44 pubmedProtein-O-mannosyltransferases (Pmt proteins) catalyse the addition of mannose to serine or threonine residues of secretory proteins...
- Ernst J, Prill S. O-glycosylation. Med Mycol. 2001;39 Suppl 1:67-74 pubmedO-Glycosylation in many fungal species is initiated in the endoplasmic reticulum by protein mannosyltransferases (Pmt-proteins), which transfer mannose to serine or threonine residues, and it is completed by mannosyltransferases (Mnt-..
- Haines N, Seabrooke S, Stewart B. Dystroglycan and protein O-mannosyltransferases 1 and 2 are required to maintain integrity of Drosophila larval muscles. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4721-30 pubmed..This study opens the possibility of using Drosophila to investigate muscular dystrophy. ..
- Akasaka Manya K, Manya H, Nakajima A, Kawakita M, Endo T. Physical and functional association of human protein O-mannosyltransferases 1 and 2. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19339-45 pubmed..These results indicate that the mutant POMT1s could form heterocomplexes with POMT2 but that such complexes are insufficient for enzymatic activity. ..
- Noda Y, Yoda K. Svp26 facilitates endoplasmic reticulum to golgi transport of a set of mannosyltransferases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15420-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that two other Golgi mannosyltransferases, Mnn2 and Mnn5 are also mislocalized and found in the ER in the absence of Svp26 and that localization of ..
- Munro C, Bates S, Buurman E, Hughes H, MacCallum D, Bertram G, et al. Mnt1p and Mnt2p of Candida albicans are partially redundant alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferases that participate in O-linked mannosylation and are required for adhesion and virulence. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1051-60 pubmed..albicans. Mnt2p also functions in O-glycosylation. Mnt1p and Mnt2p encode partially redundant alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferases that catalyze the addition of the second and third mannose residues in an O-linked mannose pentamer...
- Crossman A, Paterson M, Ferguson M, Smith T, Brimacombe J. Further probing of the substrate specificities and inhibition of enzymes involved at an early stage of glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) biosynthesis. Carbohydr Res. 2002;337:2049-59 pubmed..have been prepared and tested in cell-free assays as substrate analogues/inhibitors of alpha-(1 --> 4)-D-mannosyltransferases that are active early on in the glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) biosynthetic pathways of Trypanosoma ..
- Maeda Y, Watanabe R, Harris C, Hong Y, Ohishi K, Kinoshita K, et al. PIG-M transfers the first mannose to glycosylphosphatidylinositol on the lumenal side of the ER. EMBO J. 2001;20:250-61 pubmed..In particular, mammalian and protozoan mannosyltransferases needed for addition of the first mannose (GPI-MT-I) have different substrate specificities and are targets ..
- Wagener J, Echtenacher B, Rohde M, Kotz A, Krappmann S, Heesemann J, et al. The putative alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferase AfMnt1 of the opportunistic fungal pathogen Aspergillus fumigatus is required for cell wall stability and full virulence. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:1661-73 pubmed publisher..Important steps in this posttranslational modification are carried out by mannosyltransferases. In this study, we investigated the putative alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferase AfMnt1 of the human pathogenic ..
- Bates S, Hughes H, Munro C, Thomas W, MacCallum D, Bertram G, et al. Outer chain N-glycans are required for cell wall integrity and virulence of Candida albicans. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:90-8 pubmed..This demonstrates the importance of N-glycan outer chain epitopes to the host-fungal interaction and virulence. ..
- Prill S, Klinkert B, Timpel C, Gale C, Schröppel K, Ernst J. PMT family of Candida albicans: five protein mannosyltransferase isoforms affect growth, morphogenesis and antifungal resistance. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:546-60 pubmedProtein O-mannosyltransferases (Pmt proteins) initiate O-mannosylation of secretory proteins...
- Ichimiya T, Manya H, Ohmae Y, Yoshida H, Takahashi K, Ueda R, et al. The twisted abdomen phenotype of Drosophila POMT1 and POMT2 mutants coincides with their heterophilic protein O-mannosyltransferase activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42638-47 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the two dPOMTs function as a protein O-mannosyltransferase in association with each other, in vitro and in vivo, to generate and maintain normal muscle development. ..
- Hu Y, Li Z, Wu X, Lu Q. Large induces functional glycans in an O-mannosylation dependent manner and targets GlcNAc terminals on alpha-dystroglycan. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16866 pubmed publisher..Thus our results revealed a mechanism by which Large competes with galactosyltransferase to target GlcNAc terminals to induce the functional glycans on ?-DG. ..
- Manya H, Chiba A, Yoshida A, Wang X, Chiba Y, Jigami Y, et al. Demonstration of mammalian protein O-mannosyltransferase activity: coexpression of POMT1 and POMT2 required for enzymatic activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:500-5 pubmed..the gene encoding putative protein O-mannosyltransferase 1 (POMT1), which is homologous to yeast protein O-mannosyltransferases. However, there is no evidence that POMT1 has enzymatic activity...