Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes catalyzing the transfer of fucose from a nucleoside diphosphate fucose to an acceptor molecule which is frequently another carbohydrate, a glycoprotein, or a glycolipid molecule. Elevated activity of some fucosyltransferases in human serum may serve as an indicator of malignancy. The class includes EC 126.96.36.199; EC 188.8.131.52; EC 184.108.40.206; EC 220.127.116.11.
- Imai Nishiya H, Mori K, Inoue M, Wakitani M, Iida S, Shitara K, et al. Double knockdown of alpha1,6-fucosyltransferase (FUT8) and GDP-mannose 4,6-dehydratase (GMD) in antibody-producing cells: a new strategy for generating fully non-fucosylated therapeutic antibodies with enhanced ADCC. BMC Biotechnol. 2007;7:84 pubmed..This approach offers tremendous cost- and time-sparing advantages for the development of next-generation therapeutic antibodies. ..
- Miyoshi E, Moriwaki K, Nakagawa T. Biological function of fucosylation in cancer biology. J Biochem. 2008;143:725-9 pubmed publisher..The regulatory mechanisms for fucosylation are complicated. Many kinds of fucosyltransferases, the GDP-fucose synthesis pathway and GDP-fucose transporter are involved in the regulation of fucosylation...
- Matzhold E, Helmberg W, Wagner T, Drexler C, Ulrich S, Winkler A, et al. Identification of 14 new alleles at the fucosyltransferase 1, 2, and 3 loci in Styrian blood donors, Austria. Transfusion. 2009;49:2097-108 pubmed publisherGenes for fucosyltransferases 1 (FUT1:H), 2 (FUT2:Secretor), and 3 (FUT3:Lewis) encode enzymes crucial for ABH and Lewis blood group antigen synthesis. They are highly polymorphic and ethnically and geographically specific...
- Kindberg E, Akerlind B, Johnsen C, Knudsen J, Heltberg O, Larson G, et al. Host genetic resistance to symptomatic norovirus (GGII.4) infections in Denmark. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:2720-2 pubmed..003) was found between the secretor phenotype and symptomatic disease, extending previous knowledge and confirming that nonsense mutations in the FUT2 gene provide protection against symptomatic norovirus (GGII.4) infections. ..
- Ma B, Simala Grant J, Taylor D. Fucosylation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Glycobiology. 2006;16:158R-184R pubmed..b>Fucosyltransferases (FucTs), present in both eukaryotic and prokaryotic organisms, are the enzymes responsible for the ..
- Bernardi C, Soffientini U, Piacente F, Tonetti M. Effects of microRNAs on fucosyltransferase 8 (FUT8) expression in hepatocarcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76540 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings also point out that miRNAs may be widely involved in the regulation of glycosylation machinery. ..
- Chang W, Lee C, Lee P, Lin J, Hsu C, Hung J, et al. Expression of Globo H and SSEA3 in breast cancer stem cells and the involvement of fucosyl transferases 1 and 2 in Globo H synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11667-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insight into further development of a Globo H-based vaccine and FUT1/FUT2-targeted therapy for breast cancer. ..
- Moran A. Relevance of fucosylation and Lewis antigen expression in the bacterial gastroduodenal pathogen Helicobacter pylori. Carbohydr Res. 2008;343:1952-65 pubmed publisher..similarity, low sequence homology occurs between the bacterial and mammalian alpha(1,3/4)- and alpha(1,2)-fucosyltransferases. Factors affecting Le antigen expression in H...
- Rampal R, Luther K, Haltiwanger R. Notch signaling in normal and disease States: possible therapies related to glycosylation. Curr Mol Med. 2007;7:427-45 pubmed..As well, potential roles for glycosylation in Notch-related human diseases, and possible roles for therapeutic targeting of POFUT1 and Fringe in Notch-related human diseases, are discussed. ..
- Palumberi D, Aldi S, Ermini L, Ziche M, Finetti F, Donnini S, et al. RNA-mediated gene silencing of FUT1 and FUT2 influences expression and activities of bovine and human fucosylated nucleolin and inhibits cell adhesion and proliferation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;111:229-38 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that si-RNA induced down-regulation of the expression of FUT1 and FUT2, the fucosyltransferases required for the biosynthesis of the terminal glycan motif Fucalpha-2-Galbeta-R, reduced expression of the ..
- Chen G, Osada H, Santamaria Babi L, Kannagi R. Interaction of GATA-3/T-bet transcription factors regulates expression of sialyl Lewis X homing receptors on Th1/Th2 lymphocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:16894-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the GATA-3/T-bet transcription factor complex regulates the cell-lineage-specific expression of the lymphocyte homing receptors. ..
- Buffone A, Mondal N, Gupta R, McHugh K, Lau J, Neelamegham S. Silencing Î±1,3-fucosyltransferases in human leukocytes reveals a role for FUT9 enzyme during E-selectin-mediated cell adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1620-33 pubmed publisher..Using this, the contributions of all three myeloid Î±1,3-fucosyltransferases (FUT4, FUT7, and FUT9) to selectin-ligand biosynthesis were evaluated...
- Groux Degroote S, Krzewinski Recchi M, Cazet A, Vincent A, Lehoux S, Lafitte J, et al. IL-6 and IL-8 increase the expression of glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases involved in the biosynthesis of sialylated and/or sulfated Lewisx epitopes in the human bronchial mucosa. Biochem J. 2008;410:213-23 pubmed..mucosa with IL-6 (interleukin-6) or IL-8 results in a significant increase in the expression of alpha1,3/4-fucosyltransferases [FUT11 (fucosyltransferase 11 gene) and FUT3], alpha2-6- and alpha2,3-sialyltransferases [ST3GAL6 (alpha2,3-..
- Matsumura K, Higashida K, Ishida H, Hata Y, Yamamoto K, Shigeta M, et al. Carbohydrate binding specificity of a fucose-specific lectin from Aspergillus oryzae: a novel probe for core fucose. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15700-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that AOL is more suitable for detecting core fucose than AAL or LCA. ..
- Mollicone R, Moore S, Bovin N, Garcia Rosasco M, Candelier J, Martinez Duncker I, et al. Activity, splice variants, conserved peptide motifs, and phylogeny of two new alpha1,3-fucosyltransferase families (FUT10 and FUT11). J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4723-38 pubmed publisher..391, 419, and 479 amino acids, and two splice variants of the FUT11 gene, encoding for two related alpha-l-fucosyltransferases of 476 and 492 amino acids...
- Rillahan C, Antonopoulos A, Lefort C, Sonon R, Azadi P, Ley K, et al. Global metabolic inhibitors of sialyl- and fucosyltransferases remodel the glycome. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:661-8 pubmed publisherDespite the fundamental roles of sialyl- and fucosyltransferases in mammalian physiology, there are few pharmacological tools to manipulate their function in a cellular setting...
- Zhu L, Lin B, Hao Y, Li F, Diao B, Zhang S. [Impact of alpha1,2-fucosyl transferase gene transfection on cancer-related gene expression profile of human ovarian cancer cell line RMG-1]. Ai Zheng. 2008;27:934-41 pubmed..The transfection of alpha1,2-FT gene causes the changes of gene expression profile in ovarian cancer RMG-1 cells. ..
- Abrantes J, Posada D, Guillon P, Esteves P, Le Pendu J. Widespread gene conversion of alpha-2-fucosyltransferase genes in mammals. J Mol Evol. 2009;69:22-31 pubmed publisherThe alpha-2-fucosyltransferases (alpha2FTs) are enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of alpha2fucosylated glycan structures...
- Ferrer Admetlla A, Sikora M, Laayouni H, Esteve A, Roubinet F, Blancher A, et al. A natural history of FUT2 polymorphism in humans. Mol Biol Evol. 2009;26:1993-2003 pubmed publisher..Thus, a convergent phenotype composition has been achieved through different mutations with different evolutionary histories. ..
- Li S, Qu Y, Liu B, Wang G, Zhang Y, Ma Z, et al. Synergistic effects of alpha-1,2-fucosyltransferase, DAF, and CD59 in suppression of xenogenic immunological responses. Xenotransplantation. 2009;16:27-33 pubmed publisher..It is feasible to use HT and C-reactive proteins co-transgenic tissues to resist hyperacute rejection and xenograft rejection. ..
- Nakagawa T, Uozumi N, Nakano M, Mizuno Horikawa Y, Okuyama N, Taguchi T, et al. Fucosylation of N-glycans regulates the secretion of hepatic glycoproteins into bile ducts. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:29797-806 pubmed..A disruption in this system might involve an increase in fucosylated AFP in the serum of patients with HCC. ..
- Okamura Y, Saga Y. Pofut1 is required for the proper localization of the Notch receptor during mouse development. Mech Dev. 2008;125:663-73 pubmed publisher..We propose that altered trafficking pathways may account for the abnormal accumulation of the Notch1 receptor in the endoplasmic reticulum in Pofut1-null mouse embryos. ..
- Sasamura T, Ishikawa H, Sasaki N, Higashi S, Kanai M, Nakao S, et al. The O-fucosyltransferase O-fut1 is an extracellular component that is essential for the constitutive endocytic trafficking of Notch in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1347-56 pubmed..We propose that O-fut1 is the first example, except for ligands, of a molecule that is required extracellularly for receptor transportation by endocytosis. ..
- Brzezinski K, Stepkowski T, Panjikar S, Bujacz G, Jaskolski M. High-resolution structure of NodZ fucosyltransferase involved in the biosynthesis of the nodulation factor. Acta Biochim Pol. 2007;54:537-49 pubmed..They are all clustered in three conserved sequence motifs located in the C-terminal domain. ..
- St John J, Claxton C, Robinson M, Yamamoto F, Domino S, Key B. Genetic manipulation of blood group carbohydrates alters development and pathfinding of primary sensory axons of the olfactory systems. Dev Biol. 2006;298:470-84 pubmed..These results provide in vivo evidence for a role of specific cell surface carbohydrates during development of the olfactory nerve pathways. ..
- Yang X, Liu S, Liu J, Yan Q. Fucosyltransferase IV enhances expression of MMP-12 stimulated by EGF via the ERK1/2, p38 and NF-?B pathways in A431 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13:1657-62 pubmed..Base on our data, we propose that FUT4 up-regulates expression of MMP-12 via a MAPK-NF-?B-dependent mechanism. ..
- Guo Q, Guo B, Wang Y, Wu J, Jiang W, Zhao S, et al. Functional analysis of ?1,3/4-fucosyltransferase VI in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;417:311-7 pubmed publisherThe ?1,3/4-fucosyltransferases (FUT) subfamily are key enzymes in cell surface antigen synthesis during various biological processes...
- Rydell G, Kindberg E, Larson G, Svensson L. Susceptibility to winter vomiting disease: a sweet matter. Rev Med Virol. 2011;21:370-82 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the role of host genetics and carbohydrate structures in susceptibility to winter vomiting disease. ..
- Azuma Y, Kurusu Y, Sato H, Higai K, Matsumoto K. Increased expression of Lewis X and Y antigens on the cell surface and FUT 4 mRNA during granzyme B-induced Jurkat cell apoptosis. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007;30:655-60 pubmed..Real-time PCR revealed that expression of the mRNAs for alpha1,3-fucosyltransferases FUT4 was increased at 3 h during granzyme B-induced apoptosis, while FUT9 mRNA expression gradually ..
- Mejías Luque R, López Ferrer A, Garrido M, Fabra A, de Bolos C. Changes in the invasive and metastatic capacities of HT-29/M3 cells induced by the expression of fucosyltransferase 1. Cancer Sci. 2007;98:1000-5 pubmed..The fucosyltransferases are the enzymes responsible for the addition of terminal fucose to precursor oligosaccharides attached to ..
- Kudo T, Nakagawa H, Takahashi M, Hamaguchi J, Kamiyama N, Yokoo H, et al. N-glycan alterations are associated with drug resistance in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2007;6:32 pubmed..N-glycan and glycosyltransferase expression in HLE-EPI and HLE-MIT were analysed and presented that glycans altered according with acquired tolerance. These results suggested novel mechanisms of drug resistance. ..
- Zhang Z, Sun P, Liu J, Fu L, Yan J, Liu Y, et al. Suppression of FUT1/FUT4 expression by siRNA inhibits tumor growth. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:287-96 pubmed..We report here that different fucosyltransferases (FUTs) were expressed with the greatest expression of fucosyltransferase I or IV (FUT1/4), the two key ..
- Soejima M, Fujihara J, Takeshita H, Koda Y. Sec1-FUT2-Sec1 hybrid allele generated by interlocus gene conversion. Transfusion. 2008;48:488-92 pubmed
- Garcia Vallejo J, Van Liempt E, da Costa Martins P, Beckers C, Van het Hof B, Gringhuis S, et al. DC-SIGN mediates adhesion and rolling of dendritic cells on primary human umbilical vein endothelial cells through LewisY antigen expressed on ICAM-2. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:2359-69 pubmed..The identification of Le(Y) as the carbohydrate ligand of DC-SIGN in endothelial cells opens new possibilities for the manipulation of DC migration. ..
- Antoine M, Tag C, Gressner A, Hellerbrand C, Kiefer P. Expression of E-selectin ligand-1 (CFR/ESL-1) on hepatic stellate cells: implications for leukocyte extravasation and liver metastasis. Oncol Rep. 2009;21:357-62 pubmed..the main E-selectin ligand (ESL-1) on granulocytes and its expression is exclusively modified by alpha(1,3)-fucosyltransferases IV or VII (FucT4 and FucT7)...
- SANABRIA VALENTIN E, Colbert M, Blaser M. Role of futC slipped strand mispairing in Helicobacter pylori Lewisy phase variation. Microbes Infect. 2007;9:1553-60 pubmed..Le(y) synthesis was restored and Le(x) expression was reciprocally lowered. From these studies, we confirmed the principal role of futC slipped-strand mispairing in Le antigenic variation in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Chen C, Jan Y, Juan Y, Yang C, Huang M, Yu C, et al. Fucosyltransferase 8 as a functional regulator of nonsmall cell lung cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:630-5 pubmed publisher..These results provide a model to illustrate the relation between FUT8 expression and lung cancer progression and point to a promising direction for the prognosis and therapy of lung cancer. ..
- Al Shareffi E, Chaubard J, Leonhard Melief C, Wang S, Wong C, Haltiwanger R. 6-alkynyl fucose is a bioorthogonal analog for O-fucosylation of epidermal growth factor-like repeats and thrombospondin type-1 repeats by protein O-fucosyltransferases 1 and 2. Glycobiology. 2013;23:188-98 pubmed publisher..These results show that 6AF is efficiently utilized in a truly bioorthogonal manner by Pofut1, Pofut2 and the enzymes that elongate O-fucose, providing evidence that 6AF is a significant new tool in the study of protein O-fucosylation. ..
- Kanda Y, Yamada T, Mori K, Okazaki A, Inoue M, Kitajima Miyama K, et al. Comparison of biological activity among nonfucosylated therapeutic IgG1 antibodies with three different N-linked Fc oligosaccharides: the high-mannose, hybrid, and complex types. Glycobiology. 2007;17:104-18 pubmed..The present study provides basic information on the effects of core fucose-lacking N-linked Fc oligosaccharides on antibody biological activities. ..
- Gao C, Maeno T, Ota F, Ueno M, Korekane H, Takamatsu S, et al. Sensitivity of heterozygous ?1,6-fucosyltransferase knock-out mice to cigarette smoke-induced emphysema: implication of aberrant transforming growth factor-? signaling and matrix metalloproteinase gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16699-708 pubmed publisher
- Sun H, Lin S, Ko T, Pan J, Liu C, Lin C, et al. Structure and mechanism of Helicobacter pylori fucosyltransferase. A basis for lipopolysaccharide variation and inhibitor design. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:9973-82 pubmed..We propose a catalytic mechanism and a model of polysaccharide binding not only to explain the observed variations in H. pylori lipopolysaccharides, but also to facilitate the development of potent inhibitors. ..
- Loriol C, Audfray A, Dupuy F, Germot A, Maftah A. The two N-glycans present on bovine Pofut1 are differently involved in its solubility and activity. FEBS J. 2007;274:1202-11 pubmed..Loss of glycosylation at N65 resulted in aggregation of protein O-fucosyltransferase 1, suggesting that N-glycosylation at this site is essential for proper folding of the enzyme. ..
- Wu Y, Williams M, Bernard S, Driouich A, Showalter A, Faik A. Functional identification of two nonredundant Arabidopsis alpha(1,2)fucosyltransferases specific to arabinogalactan proteins. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13638-45 pubmed publisher..Our working hypothesis is that AtFUT4 and AtFUT6 genes encode alpha(1,2)fucosyltransferases (FUTs) for AGPs. Multiple lines of evidence support this hypothesis...
- Harp J, Gilchrist M, Onami T. Memory T cells are enriched in lymph nodes of selectin-ligand-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2010;185:5751-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that memory T cells are enriched in LNs with T cell deficits by several mechanisms, including longer T cell retention and increased homeostatic proliferation...
- Moehler T, Sauer S, Witzel M, Andrulis M, Garcia Vallejo J, Grobholz R, et al. Involvement of alpha 1-2-fucosyltransferase I (FUT1) and surface-expressed Lewis(y) (CD174) in first endothelial cell-cell contacts during angiogenesis. J Cell Physiol. 2008;215:27-36 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations point to a tumor induced transcription of endothelial FUT1 and consequently an enhanced expression of CD174 which is involved in migration and early cell-cell contacts during tumor associated angiogenesis. ..
- Soejima M, Munkhtulga L, Iwamoto S, Koda Y. Genetic variation of FUT3 in Ghanaians, Caucasians, and Mongolians. Transfusion. 2009;49:959-66 pubmed publisher..13G>A, 59T>G, and 202T>C seem to be useful as tag SNPs for detection of Lewis-negative alleles in genotyping of Lewis blood groups and large-scale association studies with diseases in many populations. ..
- Sasaki N, Sasamura T, Ishikawa H, Kanai M, Ueda R, Saigo K, et al. Polarized exocytosis and transcytosis of Notch during its apical localization in Drosophila epithelial cells. Genes Cells. 2007;12:89-103 pubmed..N, but not Dl, formed a specific complex with DEcad in vivo. Finally, our results suggest that juxtacrine signaling in epithelia generally depends on the apicobasally polarized structure of epithelial cells. ..
- Higai K, Miyazaki N, Azuma Y, Matsumoto K. Transcriptional regulation of the fucosyltransferase VI gene in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Glycoconj J. 2008;25:225-35 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that two defined regions in the 5'-flanking region of the FUT VI transcription start site are critical for FUT VI transcription in HepG2 cells. ..
- Liu J, Lin B, Hao Y, Qi Y, Zhu L, Li F, et al. Lewis y antigen promotes the proliferation of ovarian carcinoma-derived RMG-I cells through the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009;28:154 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of Lewis y expression may provide a new therapeutic approach for Lewis y positive ovarian cancer. ..
- Petit D, Maftah A, Julien R, Petit J. En bloc duplications, mutation rates, and densities of amino acid changes clarify the evolution of vertebrate alpha-1,3/4-fucosyltransferases. J Mol Evol. 2006;63:353-64 pubmed publisher..studies on the evolution of this family have mainly focused on Lewis genes but how the other alpha-1,3/4-fucosyltransferases have emerged from a common ancestor is not well known...
- Matsumoto K, Yokote H, Arao T, Maegawa M, Tanaka K, Fujita Y, et al. N-Glycan fucosylation of epidermal growth factor receptor modulates receptor activity and sensitivity to epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Cancer Sci. 2008;99:1611-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a novel insight into how the glycosylation status of a receptor may affect the sensitivity of the cell to molecular target agents. ..
- Gao S, Liu Q, Wang X, Lin B, Zhang S. Effects of Lewis Y antigen on the gene expression of multiple drug resistance-associated proteins in human ovarian cancer RMG-I-H cells. Med Oncol. 2010;27:960-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Lewis Y antigen is closely associated with regulating the gene expression of multiple drug resistance-associated proteins. ..