Genomes and Genes
glutathione s transferase pi
Summary: A glutathione transferase that catalyzes the conjugation of electrophilic substrates to GLUTATHIONE. This enzyme has been shown to provide cellular protection against redox-mediated damage by FREE RADICALS.
- Han J, Tan B, Wang A, Lü B, Geng W, Zhao J, et al. [Expression features of P-glycoprotein, glutathione S transferase-pi and inhibitor of apoptosis proteins in lymph node metastases of gastrointestinal carcinomas]. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;47:106-8 pubmed..There is significant heterogeneity of MDR-related factors expression in LNMs of gastrointestinal carcinomas. Effective adjuvant chemotherapy after operation should target on the metastatic loci of the disease. ..
- Yang P, Mandrekar S, Hillman S, Allen Ziegler K, Sun Z, Wampfler J, et al. Evaluation of glutathione metabolic genes on outcomes in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients after initial treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: an NCCTG-97-24-51 based study. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:479-85 pubmed..GPX1 may be an inherited factor in predicting patients' QOL. Further investigation to define and measure the effects of these genes in chemotherapeutic regimens, drug toxicities, disease progression, and QOL are critical. ..
- Reding K, Weiss N, Chen C, Li C, Carlson C, Wilkerson H, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in the catechol estrogen metabolism pathway and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:1461-7 pubmed publisher..With the exception of GSTP1 and possibly CYP1B1*2, our findings do not provide support for the role of genetic variation in the catechol estrogen metabolism pathway and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. ..
- Jamaspishvili T, Kral M, Khomeriki I, Student V, Kolar Z, Bouchal J. Urine markers in monitoring for prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2010;13:12-9 pubmed publisher..The emerging urine tests should help in both early diagnosis of prostate cancer and identifying aggressive tumors for radical treatment. ..
- Maver A, Medica I, Salobir B, Tercelj M, Peterlin B. Lack of association of immune-response-gene polymorphisms with susceptibility to sarcoidosis in Slovenian patients. Genet Mol Res. 2010;9:58-68 pubmed publisher..00, OR = 0.97, 95%CI = 0.65-1.44) and AA genotypes at Ile105Val polymorphism in GSTP1 (P = 0.53, OR = 0.87, 95%CI = 0.60-1.27). There was no association of polymorphisms in any of the genes with sarcoidosis. ..
- Mavis C, Morey Kinney S, Foster B, Karpf A. Expression level and DNA methylation status of glutathione-S-transferase genes in normal murine prostate and TRAMP tumors. Prostate. 2009;69:1312-24 pubmed publisher..Promoter DNA hypermethylation does not appear to drive Gst gene repression in TRAMP primary tumors; however, pharmacological studies using TRAMP cells suggest the involvement of epigenetic mechanisms in Gst gene repression. ..
- Mizukami S, Ichimura R, Kemmochi S, Taniai E, Shimamoto K, Ohishi T, et al. Induction of GST-P-positive proliferative lesions facilitating lipid peroxidation with possible involvement of transferrin receptor up-regulation and ceruloplasmin down-regulation from the early stage of liver tumor promotion in rats. Arch Toxicol. 2010;84:319-31 pubmed publisher
- Matakova T, Sivonova M, Halasova E, Mistuna D, Dzian A, Berzinec P, et al. Gene polymorphisms of biotransforming enzymes (GSTs) and their association with lung cancer in the Slovakian population. Eur J Med Res. 2009;14 Suppl 4:275-9 pubmed..Individual risk assessment may be further improved by increasing the number of polymorphisms studied and combining them with the traditional epidemiological risk factor. ..
- Schroer K, Biagini Myers J, Ryan P, LeMasters G, Bernstein D, Villareal M, et al. Associations between multiple environmental exposures and Glutathione S-Transferase P1 on persistent wheezing in a birth cohort. J Pediatr. 2009;154:401-8, 408.e1 pubmed publisher..The protective effect of the GST-P1 Ile(105) genotype may be overwhelmed by multiple environmental exposures that converge on oxidative stress pathways. ..
- Xu C, Pan L, Liu N, Wang L, Miao J. Cloning, characterization and tissue distribution of a pi-class glutathione S-transferase from clam (Venerupis philippinarum): Response to benzo[alpha]pyrene exposure. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010;152:160-6 pubmed publisher..All these results suggested that GST-pi in bivalve had an antioxidant role and VpGSTp expression may be a useful biomarker candidate for monitoring environmental contaminants such as PAHs. ..
- Curjuric I, Imboden M, Schindler C, Downs S, Hersberger M, Liu S, et al. HMOX1 and GST variants modify attenuation of FEF25-75% decline due to PM10 reduction. Eur Respir J. 2010;35:505-14 pubmed publisher..3 mL.s(-1) respectively) than non-carriers. Benefits of a reduction in PM(10) exposure are not equally distributed across the population but are modified by the individual genetic make-up determining oxidative stress defence. ..
- Sinha V, Wijewickrama G, Chandrasena R, Xu H, Edirisinghe P, Schiefer I, et al. Proteomic and mass spectroscopic quantitation of protein S-nitrosation differentiates NO-donors. ACS Chem Biol. 2010;5:667-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, d-Switch also allowed identification of non-nitrosated proteins and quantitation of degree of nitrosation for individual protein thiols. ..
- Kim J, Choi Y, Lee J, Lee J, Nam J, Choi C, et al. Borderline and malignant phyllodes tumors display similar promoter methylation profiles. Virchows Arch. 2009;455:469-75 pubmed publisher..001). These results suggest that PTs segregate into only two groups on the basis of their methylation profiles: the benign group and the combined borderline/malignant group. ..
- Shireman L, Kripps K, Balogh L, Conner K, Whittington D, Atkins W. Glutathione transferase A4-4 resists adduction by 4-hydroxynonenal. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010;504:182-9 pubmed publisher..HNE effects on GST A4-4 and A1-1 were less significant. The results indicate that enzymes that metabolize HNE may have evolved structurally to resist covalent adduction by it. ..
- Gao Y, Pan X, Su T, Mo Z, Cao Y, Gao F. Glutathione S-transferase P1 Ile105Val polymorphism and colorectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis and HuGE review. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:3303-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the meta-analysis suggests that the GSTP1 Ile105Val polymorphism is unlikely to increase considerably the risk of sporadic colorectal cancer, and it should be confirmed in further studies. ..
- Lourenco G, Neri I, Sforni V, Kameo R, Lorand Metze I, Lima C. Polymorphisms of glutathione S-transferase Mu 1, glutathione S-transferase theta 1 and glutathione S-transferase Pi 1 genes in Hodgkin's lymphoma susceptibility and progression. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;50:1005-9 pubmed publisher..03). These results suggest that the wild allele of the GSTP1 gene is linked to an increased risk and high aggressiveness of the HL in our cases but they should be confirmed by further studies with larger cohorts of patients and controls. ..
- Guo Z, Zhu J, Zhao L, Luo Q, Jin X. Expression and clinical significance of multidrug resistance proteins in brain tumors. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:122 pubmed publisher..P-gp marks the BBB, and the transporter is localized in the luminal endothelial compartment where it co-localizes with caveolin-1. ..
- Feltens R, Mögel I, Röder Stolinski C, Simon J, Herberth G, Lehmann I. Chlorobenzene induces oxidative stress in human lung epithelial cells in vitro. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;242:100-8 pubmed publisher..These results complement our previous findings and point to an oxidative stress-mediated inflammatory response following chlorobenzene exposure. ..
- Ritchie K, Walsh S, Sansom O, Henderson C, Wolf C. Markedly enhanced colon tumorigenesis in Apc(Min) mice lacking glutathione S-transferase Pi. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20859-64 pubmed publisher..These data also suggest that individual variation in GSTP levels may be a factor in colon cancer susceptibility. ..
- Koutros S, Berndt S, Sinha R, Ma X, Chatterjee N, Alavanja M, et al. Xenobiotic metabolizing gene variants, dietary heterocyclic amine intake, and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2009;69:1877-84 pubmed publisher..The observed effect provides evidence to support the hypothesis that HCAs may act as promoters of malignant transformation by altering mitogenic signaling. ..
- Jiménez García M, Arellanes Robledo J, Aparicio Bautista D, Rodríguez Segura M, Villa Treviño S, Godina Nava J. Anti-proliferative effect of extremely low frequency electromagnetic field on preneoplastic lesions formation in the rat liver. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:159 pubmed publisher..In this study, we evaluated the effect of 4.5 mT-120 Hz ELF-EMF on the development of preneoplastic lesions in experimental hepatocarcinogenesis...
- Liu Y, Meng X, Zhou L, Zhang P, Sun X, Zhang P. Genetic polymorphism and mRNA levels of cytochrome P450IIE1 and glutathione S-transferase P1 in patients with alcoholic liver disease in different nationalities. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2009;8:162-7 pubmed..There is a causal relationship between the polymorphic alleles, which leads to different mRNA levels and the development of ALD. ..
- Zarate R, Rodriguez J, Bandres E, Patino Garcia A, Ponz Sarvise M, Viudez A, et al. Oxaliplatin, irinotecan and capecitabine as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): a dose-finding study and pharmacogenomic analysis. Br J Cancer. 2010;102:987-94 pubmed publisher..004). First-line therapy with oxaliplatin, irinotecan and capecitabine is efficient and well-tolerated. The GSTP1 polymorphism A>G status was significantly associated with ORR and PFS in mCRC treated with this triplet therapy. ..
- Arun B, Granville L, Yin G, Middleton L, Dawood S, Kau S, et al. Glutathione-s-transferase-pi expression in early breast cancer: association with outcome and response to chemotherapy. Cancer Invest. 2010;28:554-9 pubmed publisher..055). Further studies should evaluate the role of GST-pi expression in relation to response to different chemotherapies. ..
- Yanagie H, Hisa T, Ogata A, Miyazaki A, Nonaka Y, Nishihira T, et al. Improvement of sensitivity to platinum compound with siRNA knockdown of upregulated genes in platinum complex-resistant ovarian cancer cells in vitro. Biomed Pharmacother. 2009;63:553-60 pubmed publisher..It is necessary to check the effect of siRNA to influx or exflux. It has potential to enhance the effect of anti-cancer agents to resistant cancer cells, so we will proceed to develop an inhibitor of these TBCE and CBP/p300 proteins. ..
- Castro Caldas M, Neves Carvalho A, Peixeiro I, Rodrigues E, Lechner M, Gama M. GSTpi expression in MPTP-induced dopaminergic neurodegeneration of C57BL/6 mouse midbrain and striatum. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;38:114-27 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that GSTpi expression may be part of the mechanism underlying the ability of glial cells to elicit protection against the mechanisms involved in MPTP-induced neuronal death. ..
- Jiang X, Castelao J, Yuan J, Groshen S, Stern M, Conti D, et al. Hypertension, diuretics and antihypertensives in relation to bladder cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:1964-71 pubmed publisher..7 pg/g Hb) compared with individuals without hypertension (79.8 pg/g Hb) (P = 0.009). In conclusion, untreated hypertension was associated with a reduced risk of bladder cancer. ..
- Wu W, Wang H, Guo W, Yang K, Zhao Y, Jiang Y, et al. Up-regulation of Fas reverses cisplatin resistance of human small cell lung cancer cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:49 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of Fas reverses drug resistance of H446/CDDP cells, possibly due to the increased cell sensitivity to apoptosis and the decreased expressions of GST-pi and ERCC1. ..
- Lin I, Chao M, Hu C, Ho M, Huang J, Lee H, et al. Modification of urinary N7-methylguanine excretion in smokers by glutathione-S-transferase M1 polymorphism. Toxicology. 2009;260:1-6 pubmed publisher..02). However, the GSTT1 and GSTP1 genotypes were not associated with urinary N7-MeG concentrations. Therefore, the susceptible GSTM1 genotype may modulate the concentrations of N7-MeG adducts in the DNA of smokers. ..
- Hoffmann A, Kaifi J, Vallbohmer D, Yekebas E, Grimminger P, Leers J, et al. Lack of prognostic significance of serum DNA methylation of DAPK, MGMT, and GSTPI in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2009;100:414-7 pubmed publisher..Although our results suggest quantification of DNA methylation in serum not of prognostic significance in this disease, further studies are warranted to determine the future potential of this molecular approach. ..
- Richiardi L, Fiano V, Vizzini L, De Marco L, Delsedime L, Akre O, et al. Promoter methylation in APC, RUNX3, and GSTP1 and mortality in prostate cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:3161-8 pubmed publisher..Promoter methylation in APC was identified as a marker for prostate cancer progression. ..
- Brunelli D, Tavecchio M, Falcioni C, Frapolli R, Erba E, Iori R, et al. The isothiocyanate produced from glucomoringin inhibits NF-kB and reduces myeloma growth in nude mice in vivo. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;79:1141-8 pubmed publisher..In vivo study showed that pure GMG-ITC was only slightly active in a carcinoma mice model, whereas it had significant antitumoral activity in a myeloma model, causing little toxicity. ..
- Ansari M, Lauzon Joset J, Vachon M, Duval M, Theoret Y, Champagne M, et al. Influence of GST gene polymorphisms on busulfan pharmacokinetics in children. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010;45:261-7 pubmed publisher..02). No association was found between BU exposure and major GSTA1 or GSTP1 gene variants. In children, GSTM1 polymorphism seems to modify BU pharmacokinetics after intravenous drug administration. ..
- Huang Z, Hua D, Du X. Polymorphisms in p53, GSTP1 and XRCC1 predict relapse and survival of gastric cancer patients treated with oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009;64:1001-7 pubmed publisher..Selecting specific adjuvant treatments according to the individual genetic background may represent an innovative strategy that warrants prospective studies. ..
- Flatley J, McNeir K, Balasubramani L, Tidy J, Stuart E, Young T, et al. Folate status and aberrant DNA methylation are associated with HPV infection and cervical pathogenesis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:2782-9 pubmed publisher..05). These findings are compatible with a role for folate in modulating the risk of cervical cancer, possibly through an influence over high-risk HPV infection. DAPK, CDH1, and HIC1 genes are potential biomarkers of cervical cancer risk. ..
- Lasabova Z, Tilandyova P, Kajo K, Zubor P, Burjanivova T, Danko J, et al. Hypermethylation of the GSTP1 promoter region in breast cancer is associated with prognostic clinicopathological parameters. Neoplasma. 2010;57:35-40 pubmed..We were able to demonstrate the correlation between the hypermethylation of the GSTP1 promoter region and histological grade of the tumor (p breast cancer, prognostic factors, hypermethylation, GSTP1, methylation-specific PCR. ..
- Oliveira A, Rodrigues F, Santos R, Aoki T, Rocha M, Longui C, et al. GSTT1, GSTM1, and GSTP1 polymorphisms and chemotherapy response in locally advanced breast cancer. Genet Mol Res. 2010;9:1045-53 pubmed publisher..These specific combinations were virtually absent in the combinations with few responding patients. ..
- Raghunathan V, Ellis E, Grant M. Response to chronic exposure to hexavalent chromium in human monocytes. Toxicol In Vitro. 2009;23:647-52 pubmed publisher..Such direct toxicity of Cr ions may contribute to the effects of metal implants on lymphocyte populations in vivo. ..
- Yoshiji H, Noguchi R, Kitade M, Kaji K, Ikenaka Y, Namisaki T, et al. Branched-chain amino acids suppress insulin-resistance-based hepatocarcinogenesis in obese diabetic rats. J Gastroenterol. 2009;44:483-91 pubmed publisher..Since BCAA preparations are widely used in clinical practice for patients with chronic liver diseases, this agent may represent a new strategy for chemoprevention against HCC in the future. ..
- Cho H, Eom H, Kim H, Kim I, Lee G, Kong S. Glutathione-S-transferase genotypes influence the risk of chemotherapy-related toxicities and prognosis in Korean patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2010;198:40-6 pubmed publisher..02). This study suggests that GSTT1 deletion may significantly increase the risk of drug-related toxicity after R-CHOP chemotherapy in patients with DLBCL, and is associated with worse prognosis in males. ..
- Economopoulos K, Sergentanis T. GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1, GSTA1 and colorectal cancer risk: a comprehensive meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:1617-31 pubmed publisher..GSTA1 *A/*B polymorphism was not associated with colorectal cancer risk. GSTM1 and GSTT1 null genotypes confer additional risk for colorectal cancer in Caucasian populations. ..
- Han X, Zheng T, Foss F, Lan Q, Holford T, Rothman N, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in the metabolic pathway and non-Hodgkin lymphoma survival. Am J Hematol. 2010;85:51-6 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that genetic polymorphisms in metabolic pathways may help improve the prediction of NHL survival and prognosis. ..
- Savas S. Useful genetic variation databases for oncologists investigating the genetic basis of variable treatment response and survival in cancer. Acta Oncol. 2010;49:1217-26 pubmed publisher..Utilization of these databases can assist clinicians in their studies related to treatment response and prognosis in cancer patients. ..
- Islam T, Berhane K, McConnell R, Gauderman W, Avol E, Peters J, et al. Glutathione-S-transferase (GST) P1, GSTM1, exercise, ozone and asthma incidence in school children. Thorax. 2009;64:197-202 pubmed publisher..Children who inherit a val(105) variant allele may be protected from the increased risk of asthma associated with exercise, especially in high ozone communities. GSTM1 null genotype was associated with an increased risk of asthma. ..
- Leite J, Bufalo N, Santos R, Romaldini J, Ward L. Herpesvirus type 7 infection may play an important role in individuals with a genetic profile of susceptibility to Graves' disease. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;162:315-21 pubmed publisher..860; 95% CI=1.015-3.410; P=0.0446). We suggest that an inherited genetic profile involving TP53 may favor HHV-7 infection and maintenance, which, in turn, may initiate and perpetuate GD autoimmune process. ..
- Kanai M, Yoshioka A, Tanaka S, Nagayama S, Matsumoto S, Nishimura T, et al. Associations between glutathione S-transferase pi Ile105Val and glyoxylate aminotransferase Pro11Leu and Ile340Met polymorphisms and early-onset oxaliplatin-induced neuropathy. Cancer Epidemiol. 2010;34:189-93 pubmed publisher..Given that no AGXT(11)Leu allele was found among our study population (n=177), evaluating this polymorphism in Japanese patients in future studies is likely to be uninformative. ..