Genomes and Genes
aldehyde ketone transferases
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the transfer of aldehyde or ketone residues. EC 2.2.
- Kiel J, van den Berg M, Bovenberg R, van der Klei I, Veenhuis M. Penicillium chrysogenum Pex5p mediates differential sorting of PTS1 proteins to microbodies of the methylotrophic yeast Hansenula polymorpha. Fungal Genet Biol. 2004;41:708-20 pubmed..polymorpha counterpart. This was also suggested by the observation that Pc-Pex5p sorted a reporter protein fused to various functional PTS1 signals with different efficiencies...
- Faber K, van Dijk R, Keizer Gunnink I, Koek A, van der Klei I, Veenhuis M. Import of assembled PTS1 proteins into peroxisomes of the yeast Hansenula polymorpha: yes and no!. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1591:157-162 pubmed..SKL and dimeric DHAS. This shows that import of oligomeric proteins is not a universal pathway for peroxisomal matrix proteins. ..
- Choi D, Park Y, Okabe M. Effects of rapessed oil on activity of methylmalonyl-CoA carboxyltransferase in culture of Streptomyces fradiae. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998;62:902-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that in glucose medium, intracellular propionic acid is a limiting factor because of the low activity of methylmalonyl-CoA carboxyltransferase of the tylosin biosynthesis pathway. ..
- Fletcher T, Kwee I, Nakada T, Largman C, Martin B. DNA sequence of the yeast transketolase gene. Biochemistry. 1992;31:1892-6 pubmed..One of these regions (157-182) includes a possible thiamin pyrophosphate (TPP) binding domain, and another (410-433) may contain the catalytic domain. ..
- Kranthi B, Kumar H, Rangarajan P. Identification of Mxr1p-binding sites in the promoters of genes encoding dihydroxyacetone synthase and peroxin 8 of the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. Yeast. 2010;27:705-11 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into the molecular determinants of target gene specificity of Mxr1p, and the methodology described here can be used for mapping Mxr1p-binding sites in other methanol-inducible promoters of P. pastoris. ..
- Gedi V, Jayaraman K, Kalme S, Park H, Park H, La I, et al. Evaluation of substituted triazol-1-yl-pyrimidines as inhibitors of Bacillus anthracis acetohydroxyacid synthase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1804:1369-75 pubmed publisher..973 A. As the need for novel antibiotic classes to combat bacterial drug resistance increases, the screening of new compounds that act against Bantx-AHAS shows that AHAS is a good target for new anti-anthracis drugs. ..
- Tan X, Titorenko V, van Der Klei I, Sulter G, Haima P, Waterham H, et al. Characterization of peroxisome-deficient mutants of Hansenula polymorpha. Curr Genet. 1995;28:248-57 pubmed..Diploids resulting from crosses of dominant per strains and wild-type H. polymorpha were Mut- and harbored peroxisomes with abnormal morphology. This is the first report of dominant-negative mutations affecting peroxisome biogenesis. ..
- Godecke A, Veenhuis M, Roggenkamp R, Janowicz Z, Hollenberg C. Biosynthesis of the peroxisomal dihydroxyacetone synthase from Hansenula polymorpha in Saccharomyces cerevisiae induces growth but not proliferation of peroxisomes. Curr Genet. 1989;16:13-20 pubmed..This growth process was not accompanied by an increase in the number of microbodies, which suggests a separate control mechanism for peroxisomal proliferation. ..
- Veenhuis M, Goodman J. Peroxisomal assembly: membrane proliferation precedes the induction of the abundant matrix proteins in the methylotrophic yeast Candida boidinii. J Cell Sci. 1990;96 ( Pt 4):583-90 pubmed..Serial sections reveal that some peroxisomes remain uninduced while others undergo proliferation. Such sections also show no obvious connections between peroxisomes within clusters.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Nakagawa T, Fujimura S, Ito T, Matsufuji Y, Ozawa S, Miyaji T, et al. Molecular characterization of two genes with high similarity to the dihydroxyacetone synthase gene in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:1491-3 pubmed..methanolica as well as in non-methylotrophic yeasts and fungi. ..
- van der Klei I, Yurimoto H, Sakai Y, Veenhuis M. The significance of peroxisomes in methanol metabolism in methylotrophic yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:1453-62 pubmed..This contribution describes the details of methanol metabolism in yeast and focuses on the significance of compartmentalization of this metabolic pathway in peroxisomes. ..
- Porat I, Sieprawska Lupa M, Teng Q, Bohanon F, White R, Whitman W. Biochemical and genetic characterization of an early step in a novel pathway for the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids and p-aminobenzoic acid in the archaeon Methanococcus maripaludis. Mol Microbiol. 2006;62:1117-31 pubmed publisher..Presumably, methanococci contain an alternative activity for this step. These results identify the initial reactions of a new pathway for the biosynthesis of PABA in methanococci...
- Leao Helder A, Krikken A, van der Klei I, Kiel J, Veenhuis M. Transcriptional down-regulation of peroxisome numbers affects selective peroxisome degradation in Hansenula polymorpha. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40749-56 pubmed..We show that this mechanism is a general phenomenon in H. polymorpha in the case of cells that contain only a single peroxisome. ..
- Nakagawa T, Miyaji T, Yurimoto H, Sakai Y, Kato N, Tomizuka N. A methylotrophic pathway participates in pectin utilization by Candida boidinii. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:4253-7 pubmed..Our study showed that methanol metabolism and peroxisome assembly play important roles in the degradation of pectin, especially in the utilization of its methyl ester moieties. ..
- Mesnage S, Fontaine T, Mignot T, Delepierre M, Mock M, Fouet A. Bacterial SLH domain proteins are non-covalently anchored to the cell surface via a conserved mechanism involving wall polysaccharide pyruvylation. EMBO J. 2000;19:4473-84 pubmed publisher..This observation and the presence of pyruvate in the cell wall of the corresponding bacteria suggest that the mechanism described in this study is widespread among bacteria...
- Salomons F, Kiel J, Faber K, Veenhuis M, van Der Klei I. Overproduction of Pex5p stimulates import of alcohol oxidase and dihydroxyacetone synthase in a Hansenula polymorpha Pex14 null mutant. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:12603-11 pubmed..Our results indicate that binding of Pex5p to the peroxisomal membrane and import of certain PTS1 proteins can proceed in the absence of Pex14p. ..
- Sakai Y, Saiganji A, Yurimoto H, Takabe K, Saiki H, Kato N. The absence of Pmp47, a putative yeast peroxisomal transporter, causes a defect in transport and folding of a specific matrix enzyme. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:37-51 pubmed..Since both AOD and DHAS have the PTS1 motif sequences at their carboxyl terminal, our results first show that depletion of Pmp47 could dissect the peroxisomal import pathway (PTS1 pathway) of these proteins. ..
- van Der Klei I, Harder W, Veenhuis M. Methanol metabolism in a peroxisome-deficient mutant of Hansenula polymorpha: a physiological study. Arch Microbiol. 1991;156:15-23 pubmed..The energetic consequences of this metabolism, compared to the WT situation with intact peroxisomes, are discussed. ..
- Yurimoto H, Komeda T, Lim C, Nakagawa T, Kondo K, Kato N, et al. Regulation and evaluation of five methanol-inducible promoters in the methylotrophic yeast Candida boidinii. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1493:56-63 pubmed..This is the first report which evaluates several methanol-inducible promoters in parallel in the methylotrophic yeast. ..