Genomes and Genes
acetyl coa c acyltransferase
Summary: Enzyme that catalyzes the final step of fatty acid oxidation in which ACETYL COA is released and the CoA ester of a fatty acid two carbons shorter is formed.
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Stein K, Schell Steven A, Erdmann R, Rottensteiner H. Interactions of Pex7p and Pex18p/Pex21p with the peroxisomal docking machinery: implications for the first steps in PTS2 protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6056-69 pubmed..This complex accumulated in docking mutants but was absent in cells lacking Pex18p/Pex21p, indicating that Pex18p/Pex21p are required already before the docking event. ..
- Nakashita H, Arai Y, Shikanai T, Doi Y, Yamaguchi I. Introduction of bacterial metabolism into higher plants by polycistronic transgene expression. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:1688-91 pubmed..This "phyto-fermentation" system can be used in plant production of various chemical commodities and pharmaceuticals. ..
- Matsumoto K, Murata T, Nagao R, Nomura C, Arai S, Arai Y, et al. Production of short-chain-length/medium-chain-length polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) copolymer in the plastid of Arabidopsis thaliana using an engineered 3-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III. Biomacromolecules. 2009;10:686-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, expression of the engineered fabH gene in the plastid led to an increase in the amount of the SCL monomer, 3-hydroxybutyrate, incorporated into PHA, and contributed to supply of MCL monomers for PHA production. ..
- Peralta Gil M, Segura D, Guzmán J, Servín Gonzalez L, Espín G. Expression of the Azotobacter vinelandii poly-beta-hydroxybutyrate biosynthetic phbBAC operon is driven by two overlapping promoters and is dependent on the transcriptional activator PhbR. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:5672-7 pubmed..R1 overlaps the -35 region of the p(B)1 promoter. A model for the regulation of phbB transcription by PhbR is proposed. ..
- Kotsuma M, Tokui T, Ishizuka Ozeki T, Honda T, Iwabuchi H, Murai T, et al. CYP2D6-Mediated metabolism of a novel acyl coenzyme A:cholesterol acyltransferase inhibitor, pactimibe, and its unique plasma metabolite, R-125528. Drug Metab Dispos. 2008;36:529-34 pubmed
- Merzouk H, Madani S, Boualga A, Prost J, Bouchenak M, Belleville J. Age-related changes in cholesterol metabolism in macrosomic offspring of rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes. J Lipid Res. 2001;42:1152-9 pubmed..However, cholesterol oversynthesis exceeded its removal and was a major contributor to hypercholesterolemia in adult macrosomic rats. In conclusion, macrosomia was associated with alterations in cholesterol metabolism through adulthood. ..
- Peretó J, López García P, Moreira D. Phylogenetic analysis of eukaryotic thiolases suggests multiple proteobacterial origins. J Mol Evol. 2005;61:65-74 pubmed..Our analysis suggests that these eukaryotic peroxisomal and mitochondrial thiolases may have been acquired from delta-proteobacteria prior to the ancestor of all known eukaryotes. ..
- Djouadi F, Brandt J, Weinheimer C, Leone T, Gonzalez F, Kelly D. The role of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR alpha) in the control of cardiac lipid metabolism. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1999;60:339-43 pubmed..These results identify an important role for PPARalpha in the control of cardiac lipid metabolism. ..
- Purnell M, Petrasovits L, Nielsen L, Brumbley S. Spatio-temporal characterization of polyhydroxybutyrate accumulation in sugarcane. Plant Biotechnol J. 2007;5:173-84 pubmed..79% (11.9 g PHB in 1.51 kg dry weight). We combine the insights from our statistical and molecular analyses to discuss possible strategies for increasing the yield of PHB in sugarcane. ..
- Arakawa H, Takiguchi M, Amaya Y, Nagata S, Hayashi H, Mori M. cDNA-derived amino acid sequence of rat mitochondrial 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase with no transient presequence: structural relationship with peroxisomal isozyme. EMBO J. 1987;6:1361-6 pubmed..Two portions in the mitochondrial thiolase that may serve as a mitochondrial targeting signal are presented. ..
- Kitayama K, Koga T, Maeda N, Inaba T, Fujioka T. Pactimibe stabilizes atherosclerotic plaque through macrophage acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase inhibition in WHHL rabbits. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;539:81-8 pubmed
- Lindenkamp N, Peplinski K, Volodina E, Ehrenreich A, Steinbüchel A. Impact of multiple beta-ketothiolase deletion mutations in Ralstonia eutropha H16 on the composition of 3-mercaptopropionic acid-containing copolymers. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:5373-82 pubmed publisher..eutropha H16. A fourth beta-ketothiolase or a combination of several of the other beta-ketothiolases contributed to a maximum of only 30% (wt/wt of CDW) of the remaining (co)polymer. ..
- Berdichevsky A, Nedelcu S, Boulias K, Bishop N, Guarente L, Horvitz H. 3-Ketoacyl thiolase delays aging of Caenorhabditis elegans and is required for lifespan extension mediated by sir-2.1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18927-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that defects in fatty acid oxidation can limit lifespan and accelerate aging in C. elegans and that kat-1-mediated fatty acid oxidation is crucial for overexpressed sir-2.1 to delay aging. ..
- Liu Q, Ouyang S, Chung A, Wu Q, Chen G. Microbial production of R-3-hydroxybutyric acid by recombinant E. coli harboring genes of phbA, phbB, and tesB. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;76:811-8 pubmed..This was the highest 3HB productivity achieved by a one-stage fermentation process for 3HB production. ..
- Nazarko V, Futej K, Thevelein J, Sibirny A. Differences in glucose sensing and signaling for pexophagy between the baker's yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae and the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. Autophagy. 2008;4:381-4 pubmed..This implies that glucose sensing for pexophagy is different in baker's and methylotrophic yeasts. ..
- Yang S, Yang X, Healy Louie G, Schulz H, Elzinga M. Nucleotide sequence of the fadA gene. Primary structure of 3-ketoacyl-coenzyme A thiolase from Escherichia coli and the structural organization of the fadAB operon. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:10424-9 pubmed..An evolutionary tree of thiolases was constructed; it suggests that the genes of E. coli and peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolases diverged after the appearance of eukaryotic cells. ..
- Masani M, Parveez G, Izawati A, Lan C, Siti Nor Akmar A. Construction of PHB and PHBV multiple-gene vectors driven by an oil palm leaf-specific promoter. Plasmid. 2009;62:191-200 pubmed publisher..Restriction digestion, PCR amplification and/or sequencing were carried out to ensure sequence integrity and orientation. ..
- Slater S, Houmiel K, Tran M, Mitsky T, Taylor N, Padgette S, et al. Multiple beta-ketothiolases mediate poly(beta-hydroxyalkanoate) copolymer synthesis in Ralstonia eutropha. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1979-87 pubmed..We also report an additional beta-ketothiolase, designated BktC, that probably serves as a secondary route toward beta-hydroxyvalerate production. ..
- Goetzman E, Tian L, Wood P. Differential induction of genes in liver and brown adipose tissue regulated by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha during fasting and cold exposure in acyl-CoA dehydrogenase-deficient mice. Mol Genet Metab. 2005;84:39-47 pubmed..Moreover, mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation genes are not regulated by PPARalpha in brown adipose tissue as they are in liver. ..
- Rhie H, Dennis D. Role of fadR and atoC(Con) mutations in poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) synthesis in recombinant pha+ Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1995;61:2487-92 pubmed
- Seedorf U, Brysch P, Engel T, Schrage K, Assmann G. Sterol carrier protein X is peroxisomal 3-oxoacyl coenzyme A thiolase with intrinsic sterol carrier and lipid transfer activity. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:21277-83 pubmed..These findings suggest that SCPx is a previously undescribed peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase (EC 184.108.40.206) with intrinsic sterol carrier and lipid transfer activity (suggested name: SCP2/3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase). ..
- Nardacci R, Falciatori I, Moreno S, Stefanini S. Immunohistochemical localization of peroxisomal enzymes during rat embryonic development. J Histochem Cytochem. 2004;52:423-36 pubmed..Our data show that in most organs maturation of peroxisomes parallels the acquirement of specific functions, mainly related to lipid metabolism, thus supporting an involvement of the organelles in tissue differentiation. ..
- Yang X, Schulz H, Elzinga M, Yang S. Nucleotide sequence of the promoter and fadB gene of the fadBA operon and primary structure of the multifunctional fatty acid oxidation protein from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1991;30:6788-95 pubmed..coli multifunctional protein and rat peroxisomal trifunctional beta-oxidation enzyme evolved from a common ancestral gene. ..
- Conti C. Refractory chronic stable angina--now what?. Clin Cardiol. 2004;27:375-6 pubmed
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S. [3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase deficiency]. Nihon Rinsho. 2002;60 Suppl 4:738-42 pubmed
- Zeng J, Li D. Expression and purification of His-tagged rat mitochondrial 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase wild-type and His352 mutant proteins. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;35:320-6 pubmed
- Rudel L, Farese R. ACAT inhibition and the progression of coronary atherosclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:2616-7; author reply 2616-7 pubmed
- Smeland T, Nada M, Cuebas D, Schulz H. NADPH-dependent beta-oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids with double bonds extending from odd-numbered carbon atoms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:6673-7 pubmed..Thus we conclude that odd-numbered double bonds, like even-numbered double bonds, can be reductively removed during the beta-oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids. ..
- Kamijo T, Aoyama T, Miyazaki J, Hashimoto T. Molecular cloning of the cDNAs for the subunits of rat mitochondrial fatty acid beta-oxidation multienzyme complex. Structural and functional relationships to other mitochondrial and peroxisomal beta-oxidation enzymes. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:26452-60 pubmed
- Puri P, Sartorelli V, Yang X, Hamamori Y, Ogryzko V, Howard B, et al. Differential roles of p300 and PCAF acetyltransferases in muscle differentiation. Mol Cell. 1997;1:35-45 pubmed..These results indicate that recruitment of histone acetyltransferase activity of PCAF by MyoD, through p300/CBP, is crucial for activation of the myogenic program. ..
- MacInnes A, Fairman D, Binding P, Rhodes J, Wyatt M, Phelan A, et al. The antianginal agent trimetazidine does not exert its functional benefit via inhibition of mitochondrial long-chain 3-ketoacyl coenzyme A thiolase. Circ Res. 2003;93:e26-32 pubmed..The full text of this article is available online at http://www.circresaha.org. ..
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Kano M, Orii T, Fujiki Y, Osumi T, et al. Molecular cloning and sequence of the complementary DNA encoding human mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase and study of the variant enzymes in cultured fibroblasts from patients with 3-ketothiolase deficiency. J Clin Invest. 1990;86:2086-92 pubmed..These results suggest that different mechanisms are involved in the enzyme defects in the four patients. ..
- Uchida Y, Izai K, Orii T, Hashimoto T. Novel fatty acid beta-oxidation enzymes in rat liver mitochondria. II. Purification and properties of enoyl-coenzyme A (CoA) hydratase/3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase/3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase trifunctional protein. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:1034-41 pubmed..Therefore, it is concluded that this enzyme is not long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase; rather, it is enoyl-CoA hydratase/3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase/3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase trifunctional protein. ..
- Jones P, Moffitt M, Joseph D, Harthcock P, Boriack R, Ibdah J, et al. Accumulation of free 3-hydroxy fatty acids in the culture media of fibroblasts from patients deficient in long-chain l-3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase: a useful diagnostic aid. Clin Chem. 2001;47:1190-4 pubmed..Measurement of 3-OHFA excretion from LCHAD- or MTFP-deficient cell lines can be used as a diagnostic tool. Free FAs are the predominant form of these abnormal metabolic intermediates in culture media. ..
- Volova T, Kalacheva G, Gorbunova O, Zhila N. [Dynamics of activity of the key enzymes of polyhydroxyalkanoate metabolism in Ralstonia eutropha]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 2004;40:201-9 pubmed..The change of carbon source (CO2 or fructose) did not cause any marked changes in the time course of enzyme activity. ..
- Nasution U, van Gulik W, Ras C, Proell A, Heijnen J. A metabolome study of the steady-state relation between central metabolism, amino acid biosynthesis and penicillin production in Penicillium chrysogenum. Metab Eng. 2008;10:10-23 pubmed
- Shimura M, Hasumi A, Minato T, Hosono M, Miura Y, Mizutani S, et al. Isohumulones modulate blood lipid status through the activation of PPAR alpha. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1736:51-60 pubmed..Thus, our results strongly suggest that IHE intake upregulates the expression of key genes that are involved in hepatic fatty acid oxidation, and that it ameliorates the blood lipid profile by activating PPARalpha. ..
- Ngu L, Zabedah M, Shanti B, Teh S. Biochemical profiling in two siblings with mitochondrial 2-methylacetoacetyl-CoA thiolase deficiency. Malays J Pathol. 2008;30:109-14 pubmed..A similar biochemical profile was identified in the younger sibling during screening although he had only mild clinical symptoms. Both patients reported a favourable outcome on follow-up. ..
- Meyerhof W, Paust H, Schönrock C, Richter D. Cloning of a cDNA encoding a novel putative G-protein-coupled receptor expressed in specific rat brain regions. DNA Cell Biol. 1991;10:689-94 pubmed
- Schram A, Goldfischer S, van Roermund C, Brouwer Kelder E, Collins J, Hashimoto T, et al. Human peroxisomal 3-oxoacyl-coenzyme A thiolase deficiency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987;84:2494-6 pubmed
- Mathieu M, Modis Y, Zeelen J, Engel C, Abagyan R, Ahlberg A, et al. The 1.8 A crystal structure of the dimeric peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: implications for substrate binding and reaction mechanism. J Mol Biol. 1997;273:714-28 pubmed..The three phosphate groups of the CoA moiety are predicted to interact with side-chains of lysine and arginine residues, which are conserved in the dimeric thiolases. ..
- Sabbah H, Chandler M, Mishima T, Suzuki G, Chaudhry P, Nass O, et al. Ranolazine, a partial fatty acid oxidation (pFOX) inhibitor, improves left ventricular function in dogs with chronic heart failure. J Card Fail. 2002;8:416-22 pubmed..The absence of any hemodynamic effects of ranolazine in normal dogs suggests that the drug is devoid of any positive inotropic effects and acts primarily by optimizing cardiac metabolism in the setting of chronic HF. ..
- Chevillard G, Clémencet M, Latruffe N, Nicolas Francès V. Targeted disruption of the peroxisomal thiolase B gene in mouse: a new model to study disorders related to peroxisomal lipid metabolism. Biochimie. 2004;86:849-56 pubmed..They exhibit no detectable phenotype defects and no compensation, rather a slight decrease in other peroxisomal thiolase (thiolase A and SCPx) mRNAs, was found. ..
- Das A, Illsinger S, Lücke T, Hartmann H, Ruiter J, Steuerwald U, et al. Isolated mitochondrial long-chain ketoacyl-CoA thiolase deficiency resulting from mutations in the HADHB gene. Clin Chem. 2006;52:530-4 pubmed..We describe the first case of isolated LCTH deficiency based on a mutation in the HADHB gene. ..
- Fragasso G, Spoladore R, Cuko A, Palloshi A. Modulation of fatty acids oxidation in heart failure by selective pharmacological inhibition of 3-ketoacyl coenzyme-A thiolase. Curr Clin Pharmacol. 2007;2:190-6 pubmed..In this paper, the recent literature on the beneficial effects of this new class of drugs on left ventricular dysfunction and glucose metabolism is reviewed and discussed. ..
- Tan Y, Neo P, Najimudin N, Sudesh K, Muhammad T, Othman A, et al. Cloning and characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) biosynthesis genes from Pseudomonas sp. USM 4-55. J Basic Microbiol. 2010;50:179-89 pubmed publisher..Heterologous expression of pGEM''ABex harboring phbC(Ps) in Escherichia coli JM109 resulted in P(3HB) accumulation of up to 40% of dry cell weight (DCW). ..
- Peoples O, Sinskey A. Fine structural analysis of the Zoogloea ramigera phbA-phbB locus encoding beta-ketothiolase and acetoacetyl-CoA reductase: nucleotide sequence of phbB. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:349-57 pubmed..S1-nuclease analysis of Z. ramigera RNA identified a transcription start site 85 bp upstream from the phbA structural gene locating the promoter region...
- Kamijo T, Wanders R, Saudubray J, Aoyama T, Komiyama A, Hashimoto T. Mitochondrial trifunctional protein deficiency. Catalytic heterogeneity of the mutant enzyme in two patients. J Clin Invest. 1994;93:1740-7 pubmed..Taken together, the results obtained show that in both patients, long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency is caused by an abnormality in the trifunctional protein, even though there is a heterogeneity in both patients. ..
- Yamaguchi S, Kanai R. [Mitochondrial 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase]. Nihon Rinsho. 2002;60 Suppl 4:105-8 pubmed
- Zhou Y, Davey H, McLachlan M, Xie T, Waxman D. Elevated basal expression of liver peroxisomal beta-oxidation enzymes and CYP4A microsomal fatty acid omega-hydroxylase in STAT5b(-/-) mice: cross-talk in vivo between peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor and signal transducer and activator of . Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2002;182:1-10 pubmed
- Li C, Subramanian R, Yu S, Prueksaritanont T. Acyl-coenzyme a formation of simvastatin in mouse liver preparations. Drug Metab Dispos. 2006;34:102-10 pubmed
- Lee S, Park S, Lee S, Hong S. Biosynthesis of enantiopure (S)-3-hydroxybutyric acid in metabolically engineered Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008;79:633-41 pubmed publisher..7 g l(-1), which also resulted in the decrease of the S3HB productivity to 0.05 g l(-1)h(-1). ..
- Chung A, Liu Q, Ouyang S, Wu Q, Chen G. Microbial production of 3-hydroxydodecanoic acid by pha operon and fadBA knockout mutant of Pseudomonas putida KT2442 harboring tesB gene. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2009;83:513-9 pubmed publisher..27 g/l extracellular 3HA containing 96 mol% fraction of 3HDD after 28 h of growth. For the first time, it became possible to produce 3HDD-dominant 3HA monomers. ..
- Reichmann H, Maltese W, DeVivo D. Enzymes of fatty acid beta-oxidation in developing brain. J Neurochem. 1988;51:339-44 pubmed
- Miura S, Miyazawa S, Osumi T, Hashimoto T, Fujiki Y. Post-translational import of 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase into rat liver peroxisomes in vitro. J Biochem. 1994;115:1064-8 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that the precursor form of 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase is translocated into peroxisomes, apparently without tight coupling with proteolytic processing to the mature protein. ..
- Ishikawa M, Mikami Y, Usukura J, Iwasaki H, Shinagawa H, Morikawa K. Reconstitution, morphology and crystallization of a fatty acid beta-oxidation multienzyme complex from Pseudomonas fragi. Biochem J. 1997;328 ( Pt 3):815-20 pubmed..These findings allow the possible location of the interface between the two subunits, which should be crucial for the exhibition of thiolase activity. ..
- Germain V, Rylott E, Larson T, Sherson S, Bechtold N, Carde J, et al. Requirement for 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase-2 in peroxisome development, fatty acid beta-oxidation and breakdown of triacylglycerol in lipid bodies of Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant J. 2001;28:1-12 pubmed
- Olpin S, Pollitt R, McMenamin J, Manning N, Besley G, Ruiter J, et al. 2-methyl-3-hydroxybutyryl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency in a 23-year-old man. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2002;25:477-82 pubmed..At 18 years he was given benzhexol (Artane), increased slowly from 2 mg to 6 mg daily, resulting in improvement in tremor and dystonia. At 23 years he can dress himself and works in sheltered employment but remains severely dysarthric. ..
- Davis R, Anilkumar P, Chandrashekar A, Shamala T. Biosynthesis of polyhydroxyalkanoates co-polymer in E. coli using genes from Pseudomonas and Bacillus. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2008;94:207-16 pubmed publisher..The combined use of enzymes from Bacillus sp. and Pseudomonas sp. for the production of scl-co-mcl PHA in E. coli is a novel approach and is being reported for the first time. ..
- Zhang C, Sriratana A, Minamikawa T, Nagley P. Photosensitisation properties of mitochondrially localised green fluorescent protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;242:390-5 pubmed..Thus, GFP5 can be used in the development of an organelle-specific photosensitiser since it can be targeted to different subcellular locations by protein engineering of the signal sequences. ..
- Korotkova N, Lidstrom M. Connection between poly-beta-hydroxybutyrate biosynthesis and growth on C(1) and C(2) compounds in the methylotroph Methylobacterium extorquens AM1. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1038-46 pubmed..These results suggest that beta-hydroxybutyryl-CoA is an intermediate in the unknown pathway that converts acetyl-CoA to glyoxylate in methylotrophs and Streptomyces spp...
- Ferdinandusse S, Denis S, Mooijer P, Zhang Z, Reddy J, Spector A, et al. Identification of the peroxisomal beta-oxidation enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of docosahexaenoic acid. J Lipid Res. 2001;42:1987-95 pubmed..These findings are of importance for the treatment of patients with a defect in peroxisomal beta-oxidation. ..
- Oeljeklaus S, Fischer K, Gerhardt B. Glyoxysomal acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase and 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase from sunflower cotyledons. Planta. 2002;214:597-607 pubmed
- Qiu Y, Han J, Chen G. Metabolic engineering of Aeromonas hydrophila for the enhanced production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyhexanoate). Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;69:537-42 pubmed..The results showed that combined expression of different genes was a successful strategy to enhance PHA production, which could be useful for strain development to construct other recombinant PHA-producing strains...
- Terasaka N, Miyazaki A, Kasanuki N, Ito K, Ubukata N, Koieyama T, et al. ACAT inhibitor pactimibe sulfate (CS-505) reduces and stabilizes atherosclerotic lesions by cholesterol-lowering and direct effects in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Atherosclerosis. 2007;190:239-47 pubmed..These data indicate that CS-505 can reduce and stabilize atherosclerotic lesions. This antiatherosclerotic activity is exerted via both cholesterol lowering and direct ACAT inhibition in plaque macrophages. ..
- Bilbao E, Cajaraville M, Cancio I. Cloning and expression pattern of peroxisomal beta-oxidation genes palmitoyl-CoA oxidase, multifunctional protein and 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase in mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis and thicklip grey mullet Chelon labrosus. Gene. 2009;443:132-42 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to decipher molecular mechanisms of peroxisome proliferation in aquatic organisms under exposure to peroxisome proliferator xenobiotics. ..
- Ossendorp B, van Heusden G, De Beer A, Bos K, Schouten G, Wirtz K. Identification of the cDNA clone which encodes the 58-kDa protein containing the amino acid sequence of rat liver non-specific lipid-transfer protein (sterol-carrier protein 2). Homology with rat peroxisomal and mitochondrial 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolases. Eur J Biochem. 1991;201:233-9 pubmed..Mutant CHO cells, deficient in peroxisomes, lack nsLTP. We have found that the mRNA encoding nsLTP is still present in these cells, which suggests that the absence of this protein is related to the lack of peroxisomes. ..
- Elgersma Y, Elgersma Hooisma M, Wenzel T, McCaffery J, Farquhar M, Subramani S. A mobile PTS2 receptor for peroxisomal protein import in Pichia pastoris. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:807-20 pubmed..The corresponding PpPex7p mutant proteins were stably expressed in P. pastoris, but they failed to complement the pex7Delta mutant and were impaired in binding to the PTS2 sequence...
- Klose D, Kölker S, Heinrich B, Prietsch V, Mayatepek E, Von Kries R, et al. Incidence and short-term outcome of children with symptomatic presentation of organic acid and fatty acid oxidation disorders in Germany. Pediatrics. 2002;110:1204-11 pubmed
- Solis J, Singh R. Management of fatty acid oxidation disorders: a survey of current treatment strategies. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002;102:1800-3 pubmed
- Khan M. Plant biology: engineered male sterility. Nature. 2005;436:783-5 pubmed
- Elliott C, Howlett B. Overexpression of a 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase in Leptosphaeria maculans causes reduced pathogenicity on Brassica napus. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2006;19:588-96 pubmed..The use of a translational fusion with a reporter gene showed thiolase expressed in organelles that are most likely peroxisomes. ..
- O Brien J, Carew A, Chu S, Letcher R, Kennedy S. Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) toxicity in domestic chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) embryos in the absence of effects on peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha)-regulated genes. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009;149:524-30 pubmed publisher..PFOS exposure via egg injection prior to incubation did not affect the transcriptional activity of any of the assayed PPARalpha-regulated genes at any of the doses examined in day 21 chicken embryos. ..
- Gu L, Zhang G, Kombu R, Allen F, Kutz G, Brewer W, et al. Parenteral and enteral metabolism of anaplerotic triheptanoin in normal rats. II. Effects on lipolysis, glucose production, and liver acyl-CoA profile. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;298:E362-71 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that triheptanoin, administered either intravenously or intraduodenally, could be used for intensive care and nutritional support of metabolically decompensated long-chain fatty acid oxidation disorders. ..
- Mathieu M, Zeelen J, Pauptit R, Erdmann R, Kunau W, Wierenga R. The 2.8 A crystal structure of peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a five-layered alpha beta alpha beta alpha structure constructed from two core domains of identical topology. Structure. 1994;2:797-808 pubmed..The two active sites are on the same face of the dimer, far from the amino and carboxyl termini of both subunits and the disordered amino-terminal import signal sequence. ..
- Pascale C, Fornengo P, Epifani G, Bosio A, Giacometto F. Cardioprotection of trimetazidine and anthracycline-induced acute cardiotoxic effects. Lancet. 2002;359:1153-4 pubmed
- Burnett J, Huff M. Cholesterol absorption inhibitors as a therapeutic option for hypercholesterolaemia. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006;15:1337-51 pubmed..This review focuses on the recent progress in the molecular mechanisms of intestinal cholesterol absorption and transport, and novel therapeutic approaches to inhibit the cholesterol absorption process. ..
- Onay Besikci A, Guner S, Arioglu E, Ozakca I, Ozcelikay A, Altan V. The effects of chronic trimetazidine treatment on mechanical function and fatty acid oxidation in diabetic rat hearts. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007;85:527-35 pubmed..A detailed kinetic analysis of 3-KAT using different concentrations of fatty acid will determine the fatty acid inhibitory concentration of TMZ in diabetic state where plasma fatty acid levels are increased. ..
- Doronina N, Ezhov V, Trotsenko I. [Growth of Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b on methane and poly-beta-hydroxybutyrate biosynthesis]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 2008;44:202-6 pubmed..The activity of PHB depolymerase increased insignificantly...
- Sato S, Hayashi M, Imamura S, Ozeki Y, Kawaguchi A. Primary structures of the genes, faoA and faoB, from Pseudomonas fragi B-0771 which encode the two subunits of the HDT multienzyme complex involved in fatty acid beta-oxidation. J Biochem. 1992;111:8-15 pubmed..coli cells transformed with the plasmid possessing the faoA gene, suggesting that both the hydratase and dehydrogenase activities may be exhibited by the alpha-subunit of HDT.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Naritomi K, Izumikawa Y, Ohshiro S, Yoshida K, Shimozawa N, Suzuki Y, et al. Gene assignment of Zellweger syndrome to 7q11.23: report of the second case associated with a pericentric inversion of chromosome 7. Hum Genet. 1989;84:79-80 pubmed..This is the second case of Zellweger syndrome associated with a rearrangement of chromosome 7, the tentative gene assignment to 7q11 being further supported; the gene is probably confiend to 7q11.23. ..
- Fairbairn L, Tanner M. Complete cDNA sequence of human foetal liver peroxisomal 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:3588 pubmed
- Bun Ya M, Maebuchi M, Togo S, Kurosawa T, Hashimoto T, Kamiryo T. Metabolic significance and expression of Caenorhabditis elegans type II 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2000;32 Spring:291-3 pubmed..The mRNA encoding P-44 was detected in every developmental stage of C. elegans: egg, larval stages, and adult. P-44, therefore, seems essential for the normal functioning of this organism. ..
- Jurkiewicz N, Caricati Neto A, Verde L, Avellar M, Reuter H, Jurkiewicz A. Sympathetic neurotransmission in the rat testicular capsule: functional characterization and identification of mRNA encoding alpha1-adrenoceptor subtypes. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;543:141-50 pubmed..The fact that the functional alpha(1D)-adrenoceptor could not be detected in spite of the presence of the corresponding mRNA, remains to be investigated. ..
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Orii T, Schutgens R, Osumi T, Hashimoto T. Identification of three mutant alleles of the gene for mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase. A complete analysis of two generations of a family with 3-ketothiolase deficiency. J Clin Invest. 1992;89:474-9 pubmed..The brother of patient 2 is an obligatory carrier with the mutant allele causing the exon 8 skipping. This report seems to be the first complete molecular definition of 3KTD at the gene level. ..
- Abe H, Ohtake A, Yamamoto S, Satoh Y, Takayanagi M, Amaya Y, et al. Cloning and sequence analysis of a full length cDNA encoding human mitochondrial 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1216:304-6 pubmed..6% homology with that of the rat enzyme. Northern blot analysis gave a single mRNA species of 1.6 kb in the human liver, fibroblasts and intercostal muscle. ..
- Mak H, Nelson L, Basson M, Johnson C, Ruvkun G. Polygenic control of Caenorhabditis elegans fat storage. Nat Genet. 2006;38:363-8 pubmed..This pathway also includes genes encoding intraflagellar transport proteins and cyclic nucleotide gated channels, demonstrating that C. elegans fat storage is under polygenic control. ..
- Lee J, Kim S, Chae H, Jung J, Lee S. Antifungal activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase. BMB Rep. 2009;42:281-5 pubmed..Yeast ScFox3 is a natural antifungal agent found in peroxisomes. ..
- Nakamura K, Fukao T, Perez Cerda C, Luque C, Song X, Naiki Y, et al. A novel single-base substitution (380C>T) that activates a 5-base downstream cryptic splice-acceptor site within exon 5 in almost all transcripts in the human mitochondrial acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase gene. Mol Genet Metab. 2001;72:115-21 pubmed..This is an example in which a point mutation activates a cryptic splice-acceptor site motif that is used preferentially over the upstream authentic splice site. ..
- Terada S, Tabata I, Higuchi M. Effect of high-intensity intermittent swimming training on fatty acid oxidation enzyme activity in rat skeletal muscle. Jpn J Physiol. 2004;54:47-52 pubmed