Genomes and Genes
1 acylglycerophosphocholine o acyltransferase
Summary: An enzyme localized predominantly within the plasma membrane of lymphocytes. It catalyzes the transfer of long-chain fatty acids, preferentially unsaturated fatty acids, to lysophosphatides with the formation of 1,2-diacylglycero-3-phosphocholine and CoA. EC 22.214.171.124.
- Chen X, Hyatt B, Mucenski M, Mason R, Shannon J. Identification and characterization of a lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase in alveolar type II cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11724-9 pubmed..We hypothesize that LPCAT plays a critical role in regulating surfactant phospholipid biosynthesis and suggest that understanding the regulation of LPCAT will offer important insight into surfactant phospholipid biosynthesis. ..
- Brown W, Plutner H, Drecktrah D, Judson B, Balch W. The lysophospholipid acyltransferase antagonist CI-976 inhibits a late step in COPII vesicle budding. Traffic. 2008;9:786-97 pubmed publisher..These results identify a small molecule inhibitor of a very late step in COPII vesicle formation, consistent with fission inhibition, and demonstrate that this step is likely facilitated by an ER-associated LPAT. ..
- Nakanishi H, Shindou H, Hishikawa D, Harayama T, Ogasawara R, Suwabe A, et al. Cloning and characterization of mouse lung-type acyl-CoA:lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 1 (LPCAT1). Expression in alveolar type II cells and possible involvement in surfactant production. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20140-7 pubmed..Furthermore, the enzyme was predominantly expressed in the lung, in particular in alveolar type II cells. Thus, the enzyme might synthesize phosphatidylcholine in pulmonary surfactant and play a pivotal role in respiratory physiology. ..
- Chambers K, Judson B, Brown W. A unique lysophospholipid acyltransferase (LPAT) antagonist, CI-976, affects secretory and endocytic membrane trafficking pathways. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3061-71 pubmed
- Hishikawa D, Shindou H, Kobayashi S, Nakanishi H, Taguchi R, Shimizu T. Discovery of a lysophospholipid acyltransferase family essential for membrane asymmetry and diversity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2830-5 pubmed publisher..Our findings constitute a critical milestone for our understanding about how membrane diversity and asymmetry are established and their biological significance. ..
- Drecktrah D, Chambers K, Racoosin E, Cluett E, Gucwa A, Jackson B, et al. Inhibition of a Golgi complex lysophospholipid acyltransferase induces membrane tubule formation and retrograde trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3459-69 pubmed..These two opposing enzyme activities may help to coordinately regulate Golgi membrane shape and tubule formation. ..
- Beilstein F, Lemasson M, PÃ¨ne V, Rainteau D, Demignot S, Rosenberg A. Lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 1 is downregulated by hepatitis C virus: impact on production of lipo-viro-particles. Gut. 2017;66:2160-2169 pubmed publisher..Targeting this metabolic pathway may represent an attractive therapeutic approach to reduce both the viral titre and hepatic steatosis. ..
- Tabe S, Hikiji H, Ariyoshi W, Hashidate Yoshida T, Shindou H, Shimizu T, et al. Lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 4 is involved in chondrogenic differentiation of ATDC5 cells. Sci Rep. 2017;7:16701 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LPCAT4 plays important roles during the transition of chondrocytes into hypertrophic chondrocytes and/or a mineralized phenotype. ..
- Kudo N, Suzuki Nakajima E, Mitsumoto A, Kawashima Y. Responses of the liver to perfluorinated fatty acids with different carbon chain length in male and female mice:in relation to induction of hepatomegaly, peroxisomal beta-oxidation and microsomal 1-acylglycerophosphocholine acyltransferase. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29:1952-7 pubmed
- Brown W, Schmidt J. Use of acyltransferase inhibitors to block vesicular traffic between the ER and Golgi complex. Methods Enzymol. 2005;404:115-25 pubmed
- Li Z, Jiang H, Ding T, Lou C, Bui H, Kuo M, et al. Deficiency in lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 3 reduces plasma levels of lipids by reducing lipid absorption in mice. Gastroenterology. 2015;149:1519-29 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of LPCAT3 in the small intestine could be developed as an approach to treat hyperlipidemia. ..
- Servillo L, Balestrieri C, Giovane A, Pari P, Palma D, Giannattasio G, et al. Lysophospholipid transacetylase in the regulation of PAF levels in human monocytes and macrophages. FASEB J. 2006;20:1015-7 pubmed..The differences observed in macrophages as compared to monocytes can be explained by 1) p38/ERKs-independent phosphorylation of PAF-AH (II) and 2) appearance of plasma PAF-AH in the course of macrophage differentiation. ..
- Cash J, Hui D. Liver-specific overexpression of LPCAT3 reduces postprandial hyperglycemia and improves lipoprotein metabolic profile in mice. Nutr Diabetes. 2016;6:e206 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that specific LPCAT3 induction in the liver may be a viable strategy for cardiometabolic disease intervention. ..
- Moncada R, Blackshear K, Garrett T. The Arabidopsis thaliana lysophospholipid acyltransferase At1g78690p acylates lysocardiolipins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:340-345 pubmed publisher..No transfer of the linoleoyl chains was detected in an At1g78690 dependent manner suggesting that, despite the strong homology, these enzymes catalyze unique reactions. ..
- Kim H, Li Y, Huang A. Ubiquitous and endoplasmic reticulum-located lysophosphatidyl acyltransferase, LPAT2, is essential for female but not male gametophyte development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2005;17:1073-89 pubmed..When they were expressed in bacteria or yeast, the microbial extract did not contain LPAT activity higher than the endogenous LPAT activity. Whether LPAT4 and 5 encode LPATs remains to be elucidated. ..
- Wu J, Wang H, Huang X, Lei X, Lu Q, Jin Z. Molecular screening of the LPCAT1 gene in patients with retinitis pigmentosa without defined mutations in known retinitis pigmentosa genes. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:5983-8 pubmed publisher..No diseaseâ€‘causing mutations in the LPCAT1 gene were identified, indicating that LPCAT1 either does not confer a genetic predisposition to RP, or that the incidence of mutations in LPCAT1 is particularly rare in patients with RP. ..
- Lin S, Ikegami M, Moon C, Naren A, Shannon J. Lysophosphatidylcholine Acyltransferase 1 (LPCAT1) Specifically Interacts with Phospholipid Transfer Protein StarD10 to Facilitate Surfactant Phospholipid Trafficking in Alveolar Type II Cells. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:18559-74 pubmed publisher..LPCAT1 also interacted with one isoform of StarD7 but showed no interaction with StarD2/PC transfer protein. ..
- Fang Z, Tosh D, Tanaka N, Wang H, Krausz K, O CONNOR R, et al. Metabolic mapping of A3 adenosine receptor agonist MRS5980. Biochem Pharmacol. 2015;97:215-23 pubmed publisher..These data will be useful to guide rational design of drugs targeting A3AR, considering efficacy, metabolic elimination, and electrophilic reactivity. ..
- Soupene E, Fyrst H, Kuypers F. Mammalian acyl-CoA:lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase enzymes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:88-93 pubmed..Characterization of the product of the Aytl2 gene as the phosphatidylcholine reacylating enzyme in RBCs represents the identification of a plasma membrane lysophospholipid acyltransferase and establishes the function of a LPCAT protein. ..
- Sauvant P, Mekki N, Charbonnier M, Portugal H, Lairon D, Borel P. Amounts and types of fatty acids in meals affect the pattern of retinoids secreted in human chylomicrons after a high-dose preformed vitamin A intake. Metabolism. 2003;52:514-9 pubmed..If a high dose of preformed vitamin A is ingested with a fat-free meal, a significant proportion of retinol is not esterified, owing to the lack of fatty acids for ARAT, which explains the appearance of free retinol in chylomicrons. ..
- Friedman J, Chang B, Krauth D, Lopez I, Waseem N, Hurd R, et al. Loss of lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 1 leads to photoreceptor degeneration in rd11 mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15523-8 pubmed publisher..Our studies add another dimension to an essential role for LPCAT1 in retinal photoreceptor homeostasis. ..
- Bankaitis V. The Cirque du Soleil of Golgi membrane dynamics. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:169-71 pubmed publisher..Now, in this issue, Schmidt and Brown (2009. J. Cell Biol. doi:10.1083/jcb.200904147) report that lysophosphatidic acid-specific acyltransferase, LPAAT3, contributes to Golgi membrane dynamics by suppressing tubule formation. ..
- Sorgi C, Zarini S, Martin S, Sanchez R, Scandiuzzi R, Gijón M, et al. Dormant 5-lipoxygenase in inflammatory macrophages is triggered by exogenous arachidonic acid. Sci Rep. 2017;7:10981 pubmed publisher..Understanding the relationship between the eicosanoids pathway and macrophage biology may offer novel strategies for macrophage-associated disease therapy. ..
- Mok H, Shin H, Lee J, Lee G, Suh C, Kim K, et al. Age-Associated Lipidome Changes in Metaphase II Mouse Oocytes. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0148577 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal that several classes of phospholipids are affected in aged oocytes, suggesting that the integrity of plasma membrane is associated with maintaining fertilization and developmental potential of mouse oocytes. ..
- Cotte A, Aires V, Fredon M, Limagne E, DerangÃ¨re V, Thibaudin M, et al. Lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 2-mediated lipid droplet production supports colorectal cancer chemoresistance. Nat Commun. 2018;9:322 pubmed publisher..Collectively our findings highlight LPCAT2-mediated LD accumulation as a druggable mechanism to restore CRC cell sensitivity. ..
- Singh A, Liu J. Identification of Hepatic Lysophosphatidylcholine Acyltransferase 3 as a Novel Target Gene Regulated by Peroxisome Proliferator-activated Receptor ?. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:884-897 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our new findings identify LPCAT3 as a direct PPAR? target gene and suggest a novel function of PPAR? in regulation of phospholipid metabolism through LPCAT3. ..
- Yurchenko O, Nykiforuk C, Moloney M, Stahl U, Banas A, Stymne S, et al. A 10-kDa acyl-CoA-binding protein (ACBP) from Brassica napus enhances acyl exchange between acyl-CoA and phosphatidylcholine. Plant Biotechnol J. 2009;7:602-10 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of ACBP during seed development may represent a useful biotechnological approach for altering the FA composition of seed oil. ..
- Pein H, Koeberle S, Voelkel M, Schneider F, Rossi A, ThÃ¼rmer M, et al. Vitamin A regulates Akt signaling through the phospholipid fatty acid composition. FASEB J. 2017;31:4566-4577 pubmed publisher..Pein, H., Koeberle, S. C., Voelkel, M., Schneider, F., Rossi, A., ThÃ¼rmer, M., Loeser, K., Sautebin, L., Morrison, H., Werz, O., Koeberle, A. Vitamin A regulates Akt signaling through the phospholipid fatty acid composition. ..
- Guan R, Li X, Hofvander P, Zhou X, Wang D, Stymne S, et al. RNAi targeting putative genes in phosphatidylcholine turnover results in significant change in fatty acid composition in Crambe abyssinica seed oil. Lipids. 2015;50:407-16 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we discuss the potential to further increase the 22:1 content in Crambe seed oil through downregulation of these genes in combination with fatty acid elongase and desaturases. ..
- Gao L, Rabbitt E, Condon J, Renthal N, Johnston J, Mitsche M, et al. Steroid receptor coactivators 1 and 2 mediate fetal-to-maternal signaling that initiates parturition. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:2808-24 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that fetal lungs produce signals to initiate labor when mature and that SRC-1/-2-dependent production of SP-A and PAF is crucial for this process. ..
- Yamashita A, Sugiura T, Waku K. Acyltransferases and transacylases involved in fatty acid remodeling of phospholipids and metabolism of bioactive lipids in mammalian cells. J Biochem. 1997;122:1-16 pubmed..In this review, the properties of these fatty acid remodeling systems and their possible roles in the biosynthesis of bioactive lipids are described. ..
- Jain S, Zhang X, Khandelwal P, Saunders A, Cummings B, Oelkers P. Characterization of human lysophospholipid acyltransferase 3. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1563-70 pubmed publisher..Reduced LPCAT3 expression resulted in more apoptosis and distinctly fewer lamellipodia, suggesting a necessary role for lysophospholipid esterification in maintaining cellular function and structure. ..
- Butler P, Mallampalli R. Cross-talk between remodeling and de novo pathways maintains phospholipid balance through ubiquitination. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:6246-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, cross-talk between phospholipid remodeling and de novo pathways involves ubiquitin-lysosomal processing of a key molecular target that mechanistically provides homeostatic control of cellular PtdCho content. ..
- Gijón M, Riekhof W, Zarini S, Murphy R, Voelker D. Lysophospholipid acyltransferases and arachidonate recycling in human neutrophils. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:30235-45 pubmed publisher..These results strongly implicate MBOAT5 and MBOAT7 in arachidonate recycling, thus regulating free arachidonic acid levels and leukotriene synthesis in neutrophils. ..
- Shindou H. [Lysophospholipid acyltransferase and platelet-activating factor (PAF) biosynthetic enzyme]. Seikagaku. 2008;80:110-3 pubmed
- Perez Gil J, Martin J, Acebal C, Arche R. Essential residues in lysolecithin:lysolecithin acyltransferase from rabbit lung: assessment by chemical modification. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1990;277:80-5 pubmed..However, both of them remained unchanged at pH 6.5. The substrate prevented the loss of hydrolytic ability. Therefore, a carboxyl residue participating just in the catalytic mechanism of hydrolysis is proposed. ..
- Kudo N, Toyama T, Mitsumoto A, Kawashima Y. Regulation by carbohydrate and clofibric acid of palmitoyl-CoA chain elongation in the liver of rats. Lipids. 2003;38:531-7 pubmed
- Chen Q, Kazachkov M, Zheng Z, Zou J. The yeast acylglycerol acyltransferase LCA1 is a key component of Lands cycle for phosphatidylcholine turnover. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:5511-6 pubmed..Identification of LCA1 provides an essential molecular tool for further study of Lands cycle in PC turnover. ..
- Tamaki H, Shimada A, Ito Y, Ohya M, Takase J, Miyashita M, et al. LPT1 encodes a membrane-bound O-acyltransferase involved in the acylation of lysophospholipids in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34288-98 pubmed..These results indicate that, in concert with Slc1, Lpt1 plays a central role in PA biosynthesis, which is essential for cell viability. ..
- Jackson S, Parton J. Lysophospholipid acyltransferases in monocyte inflammatory responses and sepsis. Immunobiology. 2004;209:31-8 pubmed..This article summarises the relationship between monocyte lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase, lipopolysaccharide and sepsis. ..
- Testet E, Laroche Traineau J, Noubhani A, Coulon D, Bunoust O, Camougrand N, et al. Ypr140wp, 'the yeast tafazzin', displays a mitochondrial lysophosphatidylcholine (lyso-PC) acyltransferase activity related to triacylglycerol and mitochondrial lipid synthesis. Biochem J. 2005;387:617-26 pubmed..The relationship between the deletion of the YPR140w gene and the lipid composition of the ypr140wDelta cells is discussed. ..
- Ariyama H, Kono N, Matsuda S, Inoue T, Arai H. Decrease in membrane phospholipid unsaturation induces unfolded protein response. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:22027-35 pubmed publisher..Finally we showed that palmitic acid-induced UPR was significantly enhanced by LPCAT3 knockdown as well as SCD1 knockdown. These results suggest that a decrease in membrane phospholipid unsaturation induces UPR. ..
- Tanaka M, Moriya Y, Goto S, Kanehisa M. Analysis of a lipid biosynthesis protein family and phospholipid structural variations. Genome Inform. 2010;22:191-201 pubmed..These findings may provide clues to understanding structural variations and distributions of glycerophospholipids in different organisms. ..
- Tokumura A, Miyake M, Yoshimoto O, Shimizu M, Fukuzawa K. Metal-ion stimulation and inhibition of lysophospholipase D which generates bioactive lysophosphatidic acid in rat plasma. Lipids. 1998;33:1009-15 pubmed..These results suggest that rat plasma contains an active LPLD that differs in some properties from other members of the known phospholipase D family detected in animal tissues and body fluids. ..
- O K, Ly M, Fang D, Frohlich J, Choy P. Effect of lipoprotein-X on lipid metabolism in rat kidney. Mol Cell Biochem. 1997;173:17-24 pubmed..The increase in phosphatidylcholine labelling was caused by a reduced turnover of the newly synthesized labelled phosphatidylcholine during Lp-X perfusion. ..
- Acehan D, Khuchua Z, Houtkooper R, Malhotra A, Kaufman J, Vaz F, et al. Distinct effects of tafazzin deletion in differentiated and undifferentiated mitochondria. Mitochondrion. 2009;9:86-95 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that tafazzin deficiency affects cardiolipin in all mitochondria, but significant alterations of the ultrastructure, such as remodeling and aggregation of inner membranes, will only occur after specific differentiation. ..
- Danos M, Taylor W, Hatch G. Mitochondrial monolysocardiolipin acyltransferase is elevated in the surviving population of H9c2 cardiac myoblast cells exposed to 2-deoxyglucose-induced apoptosis. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:11-20 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that increased mitochondrial MLCL AT activity and its expression, and hence, elevated CL resynthesis, may be a protective mechanism against monolysocardiolipin-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Forstermann U, Goppelt Strübe M, Frolich J, Busse R. Thimerosal, an inhibitor of endothelial acyl-coenzyme A: lysolecithin acyltransferase, stimulates the production of a nonprostanoid endothelium-derived vascular relaxing factor. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res. 1987;17B:1108-11 pubmed..The above results suggest that inhibition of acyl-CoA:lysophosphatide acyltransferase (by interaction with thiol groups of the enzyme) is the mechanism underlying the thimerosal-induced EDRF production. ..
- Bowman A, Dillwith J, Madden R, Sauer J. Uptake, incorporation and redistribution of arachidonic acid in isolated salivary glands of the lone star tick. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1995;25:441-7 pubmed..The roles of lysophosphatide acyltransferase, transacylase and diglycerol acyltransferase in the distribution of arachidonate in tick salivary glands are discussed. ..
- Larsson K, Kjellberg J, Tjellström H, Sandelius A. LysoPC acyltransferase/PC transacylase activities in plant plasma membrane and plasma membrane-associated endoplasmic reticulum. BMC Plant Biol. 2007;7:64 pubmed..The in situ function of the lysoPC acylation/PC transacylase activity is unknown, but involvement in lipid delivery from the ER to the plasma membrane is suggested. ..
- Faas F, Dang A, White J, Schaefer R, Johnson D. Increased prostatic lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase activity in human prostate cancer: a marker for malignancy. J Urol. 2001;165:463-8 pubmed..Thus, the deacylation-acylation remodeling cycle may be enhanced to provide more arachidonic acid to meet the demand for prostaglandin E2 synthesis in malignant tissue. ..
- Schmid B, Finnen M, Harwood J, Jackson S. Acylation of lysophosphatidylcholine plays a key role in the response of monocytes to lipopolysaccharide. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:2782-8 pubmed..Taken together, the data from these studies suggest that LPCAT is a key enzyme in both the pathways of activation (priming) and the inflammatory response to LPS in monocytes. ..
- Perez Chacon G, Astudillo A, Ruipérez V, Balboa M, Balsinde J. Signaling role for lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 3 in receptor-regulated arachidonic acid reacylation reactions in human monocytes. J Immunol. 2010;184:1071-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results define lysoPC acyltransferase 3 as a novel-signal-regulated enzyme that is centrally implicated in limiting free AA levels in activated cells. ..
- Garbarino Pico E, Valdez D, Contin M, Pasquaré S, Castagnet P, Giusto N, et al. Rhythms of glycerophospholipid synthesis in retinal inner nuclear layer cells. Neurochem Int. 2005;47:260-70 pubmed
- Ross B, Turenne S, Moszczynska A, Warsh J, Kish S. Differential alteration of phospholipase A2 activities in brain of patients with schizophrenia. Brain Res. 1999;821:407-13 pubmed
- Kihara Y, Yanagida K, Masago K, Kita Y, Hishikawa D, Shindou H, et al. Platelet-activating factor production in the spinal cord of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis mice via the group IVA cytosolic phospholipase A2-lyso-PAFAT axis. J Immunol. 2008;181:5008-14 pubmed..These data suggest that PAF accumulation in the SC of EAE mice is profoundly dependent on the group IVA cytosolic PLA(2)/LysoPAFAT axis present in the infiltrating macrophages and activated microglia. ..
- Garbarino Pico E, Carpentieri A, Castagnet P, Pasquare S, Giusto N, Caputto B, et al. Synthesis of retinal ganglion cell phospholipids is under control of an endogenous circadian clock: daily variations in phospholipid-synthesizing enzyme activities. J Neurosci Res. 2004;76:642-52 pubmed..The results demonstrate that chicken RGCs contain circadian oscillators capable of generating metabolic oscillations in the biosynthesis of phospholipids autonomously. ..
- Banerji B, Subbaiah P, Gregg R, Bagdade J. Molecular species of phosphatidylcholine in abetalipoproteinemia: effect of lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase and lysolecithin acyltransferase. J Lipid Res. 1989;30:1907-16 pubmed..These results indicate that the absence of apoB-containing lipoproteins significantly affects the molecular species composition of plasma PC as well as its metabolism by LCAT and LAT reactions...
- Morimoto R, Shindou H, Oda Y, Shimizu T. Phosphorylation of lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 2 at Ser34 enhances platelet-activating factor production in endotoxin-stimulated macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29857-62 pubmed publisher..Specific inhibition of the PAF biosynthetic activity by phosphorylated LPCAT2 will provide a novel target for the regulation of inflammatory disorders. ..
- Alberghina M, Gould R. Characterization of phospholipase A2 and acyltransferase activities in squid (Loligo pealei) axoplasm: comparison with enzyme activities in other neural tissues, axolemma and axoplasmic subfractions. Neurochem Int. 1992;21:563-71 pubmed..Acyltransferase activity was present at high content in both axolemma membrane rich fractions, and among subaxoplasmic fractions and axoplasmic vesicles. ..
- Roque M, Castagnet P, Giusto N. Effect of surfactants and natural detergents on phosphatidylcholine synthesis in photoreceptor membranes. Membr Cell Biol. 2001;14:587-604 pubmed..These results suggest that PC synthesis in ROS membranes is modified by bioregulators and surfactants altering the physico-chemical state of the membrane. ..
- Ruiz López N, Garcés R, Harwood J, Martínez Force E. Characterization and partial purification of acyl-CoA:glycerol 3-phosphate acyltransferase from sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) developing seeds. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2010;48:73-80 pubmed publisher..This work provides background information on the sunflower endoplasmic reticulum GPAT which may prove valuable for future modification of oil deposition in this important crop. ..
- Bridges J, Ikegami M, Brilli L, Chen X, Mason R, Shannon J. LPCAT1 regulates surfactant phospholipid synthesis and is required for transitioning to air breathing in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1736-48 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate that full LPCAT1 activity is required to achieve the levels of SatPC essential for the transition to air breathing. ..
- Xu Y, Condell M, Plesken H, Edelman Novemsky I, Ma J, Ren M, et al. A Drosophila model of Barth syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11584-8 pubmed..We conclude that a lack of full-length tafazzin is responsible for the cardiolipin deficiency, which is integral to the disease mechanism, leading to mitochondrial myopathy. ..
- Riekhof W, Wu J, Jones J, Voelker D. Identification and characterization of the major lysophosphatidylethanolamine acyltransferase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28344-52 pubmed..Ale1p catalytic activity has a pH optimum between pH 7 and 7.5 and a strong preference for unsaturated acyl-CoA substrates. ..
- Schlame M. Formation of molecular species of mitochondrial cardiolipin 2. A mathematical model of pattern formation by phospholipid transacylation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1791:321-5 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that acyl-specific cardiolipin patterns could arise from phospholipid transacylations in the tafazzin domain, even if tafazzin itself does not have substrate specificity. ..
- Stahl U, Stålberg K, Stymne S, Ronne H. A family of eukaryotic lysophospholipid acyltransferases with broad specificity. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:305-9 pubmed..Finally, we show that ScLPLAT differs from the specific lysophosphatidic acid acyltransferase that is encoded by SLC1 in that it cannot efficiently use lysophosphatidic acid produced by acylation of glycerol-3-phosphate in vitro. ..
- Steinhauer J, Gijón M, Riekhof W, Voelker D, Murphy R, Treisman J. Drosophila lysophospholipid acyltransferases are specifically required for germ cell development. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5224-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that lysophospholipid acyltransferase activity is essential for germline development and could provide a mechanistic explanation for the etiology of the human MBOAT1 mutation. ..
- Cheng L, Han X, Shi Y. A regulatory role of LPCAT1 in the synthesis of inflammatory lipids, PAF and LPC, in the retina of diabetic mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;297:E1276-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings identified a novel regulatory role of LPCAT1 in catalyzing the inactivation of inflammatory lipids in the retina of diabetic mice. ..
- Harayama T, Shindou H, Shimizu T. Biosynthesis of phosphatidylcholine by human lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 1. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1824-31 pubmed publisher..hLPCAT1 mRNA is highly expressed in the human lung. We propose that hLPCAT1 is the biosynthetic enzyme of pulmonary surfactant phospholipids. ..
- Harayama T, Shindou H, Ogasawara R, Suwabe A, Shimizu T. Identification of a novel noninflammatory biosynthetic pathway of platelet-activating factor. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11097-106 pubmed publisher..Each lyso-PAF AT biosynthesizes inflammatory and physiological amounts of PAF, depending on the cell type. These findings provide important knowledge for the understanding of the diverse pathological and physiological roles of PAF. ..
- Mock T, Man R. The catabolism of exogenous lysophosphatidylcholine in isolated perfused rat and guinea pig hearts: a comparative study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1991;1084:167-72 pubmed..Moreover, we propose that the level of deacylation by lysophospholipase is an important factor in the extent of clearance of lysoPC. ..
- Kerkhoff C, Kaever V. A systematic approach for the solubilization of the integral membrane protein lysophospholipid: Acyl-Coa acyltransferase (LAT). Methods Mol Biol. 2003;228:111-27 pubmed
- Fraser T, Stobart K. Partial purification and photoaffinity labelling of sunflower acyl-CoA:lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase. Biochem Soc Trans. 2000;28:715-8 pubmed..These polypeptides cross-reacted with the radiolabelled photoreactive substrate 1-azido-oleoyl-sn-lysophosphatidyl-[N-methyl-(3)H]choline. ..
- Shindou H, Eto M, Morimoto R, Shimizu T. Identification of membrane O-acyltransferase family motifs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;383:320-5 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the enzyme reaction mechanisms and will contribute to structure predictions for the MBOAT family enzymes. ..
- Mansilla F, da Costa K, Wang S, Kruhøffer M, Lewin T, Orntoft T, et al. Lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 1 (LPCAT1) overexpression in human colorectal cancer. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009;87:85-97 pubmed publisher..We conclude that LPCAT1 may contribute to total choline metabolite accumulation via phosphatidylcholine remodeling, thereby altering the CRC lipid profile, a characteristic of malignancy. ..