Genomes and Genes
1 acylglycerol 3 phosphate o acyltransferase
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the acyl group transfer of ACYL COA to 1-acyl-sn-glycerol 3-phosphate to generate 1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol 3-phosphate. This enzyme has alpha, beta, gamma, delta and epsilon subunits.
- Yamaguchi T, Osumi T. Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome: deficiency in CGI-58, a lipid droplet-bound coactivator of lipase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1791:519-23 pubmed publisher..This in turn gives rise to the multiple phenotypes of CDS, such as ichthyosis, liver steatosis, or neurosensory diseases. ..
- Emre S, Unver N, Evans S, Yüzbaşioğlu A, Gurakan F, Gumruk F, et al. Molecular analysis of Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome (CDS) patients: Identification of novel mutations in the ABHD5 gene. Eur J Med Genet. 2010;53:141-4 pubmed publisher..We identified one previously reported mutation, N209X and two novel genetic alterations; a nonsense mutation (p.Y50X) and missense mutation (p.S73A). ..
- Schweiger M, Lass A, Zimmermann R, Eichmann T, Zechner R. Neutral lipid storage disease: genetic disorders caused by mutations in adipose triglyceride lipase/PNPLA2 or CGI-58/ABHD5. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;297:E289-96 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate an ATGL-independent function of CGI-58. This review summarizes recent findings with the goal of relating structural variants of ATGL and CGI-58 to functional consequences in lipid metabolism. ..
- Zimmermann R, Lass A, Haemmerle G, Zechner R. Fate of fat: the role of adipose triglyceride lipase in lipolysis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1791:494-500 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the importance of ATGL as TG lipase within the "lipolytic machinery" and the current knowledge of molecular mechanisms that regulate ATGL activity. ..
- Shindou H, Hishikawa D, Harayama T, Yuki K, Shimizu T. Recent progress on acyl CoA: lysophospholipid acyltransferase research. J Lipid Res. 2009;50 Suppl:S46-51 pubmed publisher..These discoveries have prompted a robust surge of research in this field. In this review, we focus on the cloning and characterization of lysophospholipid acyltransferases (LPLATs), which contribute to membrane asymmetry and diversity. ..
- Yamaguchi T. Crucial role of CGI-58/alpha/beta hydrolase domain-containing protein 5 in lipid metabolism. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010;33:342-5 pubmed..This review focuses on the functions and protein interactions of CGI-58 on the surface of LDs in the regulation of fat mobilization in cells. ..
- Antuna Puente B, Boutet E, Vigouroux C, Lascols O, Slama L, Caron Debarle M, et al. Higher adiponectin levels in patients with Berardinelli-Seip congenital lipodystrophy due to seipin as compared with 1-acylglycerol-3-phosphate-o-acyltransferase-2 deficiency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:1463-8 pubmed publisher..Use of circulating adiponectin might be helpful to guide the genetic investigations in BSCL. ..
- Capeau J, Magré J, Caron Debarle M, Lagathu C, Antoine B, Bereziat V, et al. Human lipodystrophies: genetic and acquired diseases of adipose tissue. Endocr Dev. 2010;19:1-20 pubmed publisher..Treatment of fat redistribution can sometimes benefit from plastic surgery. Lipid and glucose alterations are difficult to control leading to early occurrence of diabetic, cardiovascular and hepatic complications. ..
- Granneman J, Moore H, Krishnamoorthy R, Rathod M. Perilipin controls lipolysis by regulating the interactions of AB-hydrolase containing 5 (Abhd5) and adipose triglyceride lipase (Atgl). J Biol Chem. 2009;284:34538-44 pubmed publisher..Imaging experiments demonstrated that the Plin-dependent interaction of Abhd5 and Atgl occurs mainly, but not exclusively, on lipid droplets that contain Plin. ..
- Shan D, Li J, Wu L, Li D, Hurov J, Tobin J, et al. GPAT3 and GPAT4 are regulated by insulin-stimulated phosphorylation and play distinct roles in adipogenesis. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1971-81 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a link between the lipogenic effects of insulin and microsomal GPAT3 and GPAT4, implying their importance in glycerolipid biosynthesis. ..
- Gruber A, Cornaciu I, Lass A, Schweiger M, Poeschl M, Eder C, et al. The N-terminal region of comparative gene identification-58 (CGI-58) is important for lipid droplet binding and activation of adipose triglyceride lipase. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12289-98 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study shows that the N-terminal, Trp-rich region of CGI-58 is essential for correct localization and ATGL-activating function of CGI-58. ..
- Bezaire V, Mairal A, Ribet C, Lefort C, Girousse A, Jocken J, et al. Contribution of adipose triglyceride lipase and hormone-sensitive lipase to lipolysis in hMADS adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:18282-91 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results suggest that ATGL/CGI-58 acts independently of HSL and precedes its action in the sequential hydrolysis of triglycerides in human hMADS adipocytes. ..
- Zampini M, Derome A, Bailey S, Barillà D, Hayes F. Recruitment of the ParG segregation protein to different affinity DNA sites. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3832-41 pubmed publisher..The association of other ribbon-helix-helix proteins with complex recognition sites similarly may be modulated by natural sequence variations between subsites. ..
- Sukumaran S, Barnes R, Garg A, Agarwal A. Functional characterization of the human 1-acylglycerol-3-phosphate-O-acyltransferase isoform 10/glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase isoform 3. J Mol Endocrinol. 2009;42:469-78 pubmed publisher..These observations strongly suggest that the cDNA previously identified as GPAT3 has AGPAT activity and thus we prefer to identify this clone as AGPAT10 as well. ..
- Yang X, Lu X, Liu J. Identification of a novel splicing isoform of murine CGI-58. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:903-10 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of mCGI-58S failed to promote lipid droplet turnover and loss of intracellular triacylglycerols. These results suggest that this splicing event may be involved in the regulation of lipid homeostasis. ..
- Radner F, Streith I, Schoiswohl G, Schweiger M, Kumari M, Eichmann T, et al. Growth retardation, impaired triacylglycerol catabolism, hepatic steatosis, and lethal skin barrier defect in mice lacking comparative gene identification-58 (CGI-58). J Biol Chem. 2010;285:7300-11 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may also underlie the pathogenesis of ichthyosis in neutral lipid storage disease patients lacking functional CGI-58. ..
- Lass A, Zimmermann R, Haemmerle G, Riederer M, Schoiswohl G, Schweiger M, et al. Adipose triglyceride lipase-mediated lipolysis of cellular fat stores is activated by CGI-58 and defective in Chanarin-Dorfman Syndrome. Cell Metab. 2006;3:309-19 pubmed..These data establish an important biochemical function for CGI-58 in the lipolytic degradation of fat, implicating this lipolysis activator in the pathogenesis of CDS. ..
- Kim H, Vijayan P, Carlsson A, Barkan L, Browse J. A mutation in the LPAT1 gene suppresses the sensitivity of fab1 plants to low temperature. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:1135-43 pubmed publisher..The proportion of high-melting-point molecular species in PG is reduced from 48.2% in fab1 to 10.7% in fab1 lpat1-3 (S7), a value close to the 7.6% found in wild type. ..
- Banke N, Wende A, Leone T, O Donnell J, Abel E, Kelly D, et al. Preferential oxidation of triacylglyceride-derived fatty acids in heart is augmented by the nuclear receptor PPARalpha. Circ Res. 2010;107:233-41 pubmed publisher..Accelerated palmitoyl turnover in TAG, attributable to chronic PPARalpha activation, results in near requisite oxidation of LCFAs from TAG. ..
- James C, Horn P, Case C, Gidda S, Zhang D, Mullen R, et al. Disruption of the Arabidopsis CGI-58 homologue produces Chanarin-Dorfman-like lipid droplet accumulation in plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17833-8 pubmed publisher..This unique insight may have implications for designing a new generation of technologies that enhance the neutral lipid content and composition of crop plants. ..