Genomes and Genes
Summary: The class of all enzymes catalyzing oxidoreduction reactions. The substrate that is oxidized is regarded as a hydrogen donor. The systematic name is based on donor:acceptor oxidoreductase. The recommended name will be dehydrogenase, wherever this is possible; as an alternative, reductase can be used. Oxidase is only used in cases where O2 is the acceptor. (Enzyme Nomenclature, 1992, p9)
- Salah Z, Bar mag T, Kohn Y, Pichiorri F, Palumbo T, Melino G, et al. Tumor suppressor WWOX binds to ?Np63? and sensitizes cancer cells to chemotherapy. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e480 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a functional crosstalk between WWOX and ?Np63? in tumorigenesis. ..
- Simeonov D, Wang X, Wang C, Sergeev Y, Dolinska M, Bower M, et al. DNA variations in oculocutaneous albinism: an updated mutation list and current outstanding issues in molecular diagnostics. Hum Mutat. 2013;34:827-35 pubmed publisher..Finally, we review the TYR p.R402Q temperature-sensitive variant and confirm its association with cases of albinism with only one identifiable TYR mutation. ..
- Vavassori S, Cortini M, Masui S, Sannino S, Anelli T, Caserta I, et al. A pH-regulated quality control cycle for surveillance of secretory protein assembly. Mol Cell. 2013;50:783-92 pubmed publisher..The ERp44 assembly control cycle couples secretion fidelity and efficiency downstream of the calnexin/calreticulin and BiP-dependent quality control cycles. ..
- Mayfield J, Hammer N, Kurker R, Chen T, Ojha S, Skaar E, et al. The chlorite dismutase (HemQ) from Staphylococcus aureus has a redox-sensitive heme and is associated with the small colony variant phenotype. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23488-504 pubmed publisher..HemQ heme could serve as the means by which S. aureus reversibly adopts an SCV phenotype in response to redox stress. ..
- Kim J, Senn S, Harel A, Jelen B, Falkowski P. Discovering the electronic circuit diagram of life: structural relationships among transition metal binding sites in oxidoreductases. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2013;368:20120257 pubmed publisherb>Oxidoreductases play a central role in catalysing enzymatic electron-transfer reactions across the tree of life...
- Beckett R, Zavarzina A, Liers C. Oxidoreductases and cellulases in lichens: possible roles in lichen biology and soil organic matter turnover. Fungal Biol. 2013;117:431-8 pubmed publisher..In the present review we synthesize recently published data on lichen phenol oxidases, peroxidases, and cellulases and discuss their possible roles in lichen physiology and soil organic matter transformations. ..
- Mayfield J, Blanc B, Rodgers K, Lukat Rodgers G, Dubois J. Peroxidase-type reactions suggest a heterolytic/nucleophilic O-O joining mechanism in the heme-dependent chlorite dismutase. Biochemistry. 2013;52:6982-94 pubmed publisher..These results suggest by analogy that two-electron Cl-O bond cleavage to yield a ferryl-porphyrin cation radical is the most likely initial step in O-O bond formation from chlorite. ..
- Felgate H, Giannopoulos G, Sullivan M, Gates A, Clarke T, Baggs E, et al. The impact of copper, nitrate and carbon status on the emission of nitrous oxide by two species of bacteria with biochemically distinct denitrification pathways. Environ Microbiol. 2012;14:1788-800 pubmed publisher..The results have potential implications for understanding denitrification flux in a range of agricultural environments...
- Cho S, Collet J. Many roles of the bacterial envelope reducing pathways. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;18:1690-8 pubmed publisher..as an electron hub that dispatches electrons received from the cytoplasmic thioredoxin system to periplasmic oxidoreductases. Recent data have revealed that DsbD provides reducing equivalents to a large array of periplasmic redox ..
- Sun A, Nie S, Xing D. Nitric oxide-mediated maintenance of redox homeostasis contributes to NPR1-dependent plant innate immunity triggered by lipopolysaccharides. Plant Physiol. 2012;160:1081-96 pubmed publisher..Moreover, NPR1 plays an important role in LPS-triggered plant innate immunity. ..
- Płuciennik E, Nowakowska M, Wujcicka W, Sitkiewicz A, Kazanowska B, Zielinska E, et al. Genetic alterations of WWOX in Wilms' tumor are involved in its carcinogenesis. Oncol Rep. 2012;28:1417-22 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our analysis indicates that in this type of tumor the expression of the WWOX gene can be regulated by an epigenetic mechanism--its promoter methylation. ..
- Chaiyen P, Fraaije M, Mattevi A. The enigmatic reaction of flavins with oxygen. Trends Biochem Sci. 2012;37:373-80 pubmed publisher..A challenge for the future will be to use these emerging concepts to rationally engineer flavoenzymes, paving the way to new research avenues with far-reaching implications for oxidative biocatalysis and metabolic engineering. ..
- Grunewald T, Bach H, Cossarizza A, Matsumoto I. The STEAP protein family: versatile oxidoreductases and targets for cancer immunotherapy with overlapping and distinct cellular functions. Biol Cell. 2012;104:641-57 pubmed publisher..This review summarises our present knowledge of the individual members of the human STEAP family and highlights the functional differences between them. ..
- Alon A, Grossman I, Gat Y, Kodali V, DiMaio F, Mehlman T, et al. The dynamic disulphide relay of quiescin sulphydryl oxidase. Nature. 2012;488:414-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, we quantified the contribution of concatenation to QSOX activity, providing general lessons for the understanding of multi-domain enzymes and the design of new catalytic relays...
- Hu B, Tan J, Zhu G, Wang D, Zhou X, Sun Z. WWOX induces apoptosis and inhibits proliferation of human hepatoma cell line SMMC-7721. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:3020-6 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of WWOX induces apoptosis and inhibits proliferation of the human hepatic carcinoma cell line SMMC-7721. ..
- Tasnádi G, Winkler C, Clay D, Sultana N, Fabian W, Hall M, et al. A substrate-driven approach to determine reactivities of ?,?-unsaturated carboxylic esters towards asymmetric bioreduction. Chemistry. 2012;18:10362-7 pubmed publisher..The alcohol moiety of the ester functionality was found to have a strong influence on the reaction rate. Overall, activities were determined by both steric and electronic effects. ..
- Batt S, Jabeen T, Bhowruth V, Quill L, Lund P, Eggeling L, et al. Structural basis of inhibition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis DprE1 by benzothiazinone inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11354-9 pubmed publisher..These results mark a significant step forward in the characterization of a key TB drug target. ..
- Jensen S, Twitty C, Maston L, Antony P, Lim M, Hu H, et al. Increased frequency of suppressive regulatory T cells and T cell-mediated antigen loss results in murine melanoma recurrence. J Immunol. 2012;189:767-76 pubmed publisher..Additionally, recurrent tumors exhibited decreased Ag expression, which was accompanied by conversion of the therapeutic tumor-specific CD4(+) T cell population to a Foxp3(+)CD4(+) regulatory T cell population. ..
- Baker B, Lesniewski R, Dick G. Genome-enabled transcriptomics reveals archaeal populations that drive nitrification in a deep-sea hydrothermal plume. ISME J. 2012;6:2269-79 pubmed publisher..These unique data sets reveal populations of deep-sea AOA thriving in the ammonium-rich GB that are related to surface types, but with key genomic and physiological differences. ..
- Gandhi S, Abramov A. Mechanism of oxidative stress in neurodegeneration. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:428010 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we examine the issues surrounding the failure to translate this hypothesis into an effective clinical treatment. ..
- Hofbauer S, Gysel K, Mlynek G, Kostan J, Hagmüller A, Daims H, et al. Impact of subunit and oligomeric structure on the thermal and conformational stability of chlorite dismutases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1824:1031-8 pubmed publisherChlorite dismutases (Cld) are unique heme b containing oxidoreductases that convert chlorite to chloride and dioxygen...
- Zhang L, Zhao Y, Gao L, Zhao G, Zhou R, Zhang B, et al. TaCKX6-D1, the ortholog of rice OsCKX2, is associated with grain weight in hexaploid wheat. New Phytol. 2012;195:574-84 pubmed publisher..Our study also sheds light on the mechanisms of grain development and domestication of wheat, as well as the functional divergence of orthologs in comparative genomics. ..