Genomes and Genes
Summary: Flavoproteins that function as circadian rhythm signaling proteins in ANIMALS and as blue-light photoreceptors in PLANTS. They are structurally-related to DNA PHOTOLYASES and it is believed that both classes of proteins may have originated from an earlier protein that played a role in protecting primitive organisms from the cyclical exposure to UV LIGHT.
- Holtkotte X, Ponnu J, Ahmad M, Hoecker U. The blue light-induced interaction of cryptochrome 1 with COP1 requires SPA proteins during Arabidopsis light signaling. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007044 pubmed publisher..While the interaction between cryptochromes and SPA is blue light-dependent, it was proposed that CRY1 interacts with COP1 constitutively, i.e...
- Mteyrek A, Filipski E, Guettier C, Oklejewicz M, van der Horst G, Okyar A, et al. Critical cholangiocarcinogenesis control by cryptochrome clock genes. Int J Cancer. 2017;140:2473-2483 pubmed publisher..In addition, the pronounced shift toward cholangiocarcinoma in DEN exposed Cry1-/- Cry2-/- mice revealed a critical role of the Cry clock genes in bile duct carcinogenesis. ..
- Patke A, Murphy P, Onat O, Krieger A, Ozcelik T, Campbell S, et al. Mutation of the Human Circadian Clock Gene CRY1 in Familial Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. Cell. 2017;169:203-215.e13 pubmed publisher..6%, and reverse phenotyping of unrelated families corroborates late and/or fragmented sleep patterns in carriers, suggesting that it affects sleep behavior in a sizeable portion of the human population. ..
- Orth C, Niemann N, Hennig L, Essen L, Batschauer A. Hyperactivity of the Arabidopsis cryptochrome (cry1) L407F mutant is caused by a structural alteration close to the cry1 ATP-binding site. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12906-12920 pubmed publisherPlant cryptochromes (cry) act as UV-A/blue light receptors...
- Park H, Kim N, Lee S, Kim N, Kim J, Heo W. Optogenetic protein clustering through fluorescent protein tagging and extension of CRY2. Nat Commun. 2017;8:30 pubmed publisher..Here the authors identify determinants of CRY2 clustering and engineer fusion partners to modulate clustering efficiency. ..