Genomes and Genes
mannose 6 phosphate isomerase
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the reversible isomerization of D-mannose-6-phosphate to form D-fructose-6-phosphate, an important step in glycolysis. EC 188.8.131.52.
- Hansen T, Schonheit P. Escherichia coli phosphoglucose isomerase can be substituted by members of the PGI family, the PGI/PMI family, and the cPGI family. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;250:49-53 pubmed..coli PGI. However, complete restoration of the growth rate could not be obtained by any of the PGIs, PGI/PMIs, or cPGIs used. The data indicate that the PGI function of the three PGI families is functionally exchangeable in glycolysis. ..
- Swan M, Hansen T, Schonheit P, Davies C. A novel phosphoglucose isomerase (PGI)/phosphomannose isomerase from the crenarchaeon Pyrobaculum aerophilum is a member of the PGI superfamily: structural evidence at 1.16-A resolution. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39838-45 pubmed..Instead, PMI activity may be the result of additional space in the active site imparted by a threonine, in place of a glutamine in other PGI enzymes, which could permit rotation of the C-2-C-3 bond of mannose 6-phosphate...
- Boscariol R, Almeida W, Derbyshire M, Mourão Filho F, Mendes B. The use of the PMI/mannose selection system to recover transgenic sweet orange plants (Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck). Plant Cell Rep. 2003;22:122-8 pubmed..The transformation efficiency rate ranged from 3% to 23.8%, depending on cultivar. This system provides an efficient manner for selecting transgenic sweet orange plants without using antibiotics or herbicides...
- Sato Y, Yamamoto Y, Kizaki H, Kuramitsu H. Isolation and sequence analysis of the pmi gene encoding phosphomannose isomerase of Streptococcus mutans. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1993;114:61-6 pubmed..mutans also drastically reduced phosphomannose isomerase activity and the ability of the organism to utilize mannose as a sole carbon source. These results suggest that the S. mutans pmi gene constitutes an operon with the scrK gene. ..
- Hyun C, Kim S, Sohng J, Hahn J, Kim J, Suh J. An efficient approach for cloning the dNDP-glucose synthase gene from actinomycetes and its application in Streptomyces spectabilis, a spectinomycin producer. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2000;183:183-9 pubmed..The spcE gene was expressed in Escherichia coli and the activity was assayed in cell extracts. The enzyme showed substrate specificity only to dTDP-glucose. ..
- Freeze H, Aebi M. Molecular basis of carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndromes type I with normal phosphomannomutase activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1455:167-78 pubmed..Yeast strains carrying mutations in the homologous genes are likely to provide conclusive identification of the primary defects in novel CDGS types that affect the synthesis and transfer of precursor oligosaccharides. ..
- Hansen T, Urbanke C, Schonheit P. Bifunctional phosphoglucose/phosphomannose isomerase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrobaculum aerophilum. Extremophiles. 2004;8:507-12 pubmed..The enzyme was extremely thermoactive; it had a temperature optimum for catalytic activity of about 100 degrees C and a melting temperature for thermal unfolding above 100 degrees C...
- Williams A, Westhead D. Sequence relationships in the legume lectin fold and other jelly rolls. Protein Eng. 2002;15:771-4 pubmed..53) superfamilies, which were merged in the most recent SCOP release. No other distant sequence relationships linking jelly roll superfamilies were found. ..
- Fukumoto S, Tsuboi T, Hirai K, Phares C. Comparison of isozyme patterns between Spirometra erinacei and Spirometra mansonoides by isoelectric focusing. J Parasitol. 1992;78:735-8 pubmed..erinacei. These electrophoretic data suggest that the S. erinacei from Japan and Australia are closely related, if not identical, but that S. mansonoides is genetically distinct from S. erinacei...
- Kjaergaard S. Congenital disorders of glycosylation type Ia and Ib. Genetic, biochemical and clinical studies. Dan Med Bull. 2004;51:350-63 pubmed
- Dekelbab B, Sperling M. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy: the challenge continues. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004;20:189-95 pubmed..To date, about 50% of individuals with hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy can be correctly categorized. Thus, the challenge continues. ..
- Damen G, de Klerk H, Huijmans J, den Hollander J, Sinaasappel M. Gastrointestinal and other clinical manifestations in 17 children with congenital disorders of glycosylation type Ia, Ib, and Ic. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2004;38:282-7 pubmed..Children with congenital hepatic fibrosis should be tested for CDG, even in the absence of other symptoms. In CDG Ib, histologic analysis of the liver showed hamartomatous collections of bile ducts (Meyenburg complex). ..
- Jaeken J, Pirard M, Adamowicz M, Pronicka E, Van Schaftingen E. Inhibition of phosphomannose isomerase by fructose 1-phosphate: an explanation for defective N-glycosylation in hereditary fructose intolerance. Pediatr Res. 1996;40:764-6 pubmed..3.1.8), the first enzyme of the N-glycosylation pathway thus explaining the N-glycosylation disturbances in HFI. ..
- Min B, Cho Y, Song M, Noh T, Kim B, Chae W, et al. Successful genetic transformation of Chinese cabbage using phosphomannose isomerase as a selection marker. Plant Cell Rep. 2007;26:337-44 pubmed..The transformation method presented here for Chinese cabbage using mannose selection is efficient and reproducible, and it can be useful to introduce a desirable gene(s) into commercially useful inbred lines of Chinese cabbage. ..
- Harms H, Zimmer K, Kurnik K, Bertele Harms R, Weidinger S, Reiter K. Oral mannose therapy persistently corrects the severe clinical symptoms and biochemical abnormalities of phosphomannose isomerase deficiency. Acta Paediatr. 2002;91:1065-72 pubmed..This paper includes a detailed description of the clinical symptomatology of the first-ever diagnosed and treated patient with PMI deficiency and a 5-y follow-up study of mannose therapy. ..
- Roux C, Salmon L, Verchère Béaur C. Preliminary studies on the inhibition of D-sorbitol-6-phosphate 2-dehydrogenase from Escherichia coli with substrate analogues. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2006;21:187-92 pubmed..coli D-sorbitol-6-phosphate 2-dehydrogenase yet reported with an IC50 = 7.5 +/- 0.4 microM and corresponding Km/IC50 ratio = about 76. ..
- Westphal V, Kjaergaard S, Davis J, Peterson S, Skovby F, Freeze H. Genetic and metabolic analysis of the first adult with congenital disorder of glycosylation type Ib: long-term outcome and effects of mannose supplementation. Mol Genet Metab. 2001;73:77-85 pubmed..However, the long-term prognosis may vary from patient to patient. ..
- Christensen K, Kaufmann U, Avery B. Chromosome mapping in domestic pigs (Sus scrofa): MPI and NP located to chromosome 7. Hereditas. 1985;102:231-5 pubmed
- Davis J, Wu X, Wang L, DeRossi C, Westphal V, Wu R, et al. Molecular cloning, gene organization, and expression of mouse Mpi encoding phosphomannose isomerase. Glycobiology. 2002;12:435-42 pubmed
- Hewitson K, McNeill L, Riordan M, Tian Y, Bullock A, Welford R, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) asparagine hydroxylase is identical to factor inhibiting HIF (FIH) and is related to the cupin structural family. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:26351-5 pubmed
- Mitchison M, Bulach D, Vinh T, Rajakumar K, Faine S, Adler B. Identification and characterization of the dTDP-rhamnose biosynthesis and transfer genes of the lipopolysaccharide-related rfb locus in Leptospira interrogans serovar Copenhageni. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1262-7 pubmed..Moreover, it could restore normal LPS phenotype to a defined rfbB::Tn5 mutant of S. flexneri which was deficient in all four genes, thereby confirming the functional identification of a part of the leptospiral rfb locus...
- Lamblin F, Aimé A, Hano C, Roussy I, Domon J, Van Droogenbroeck B, et al. The use of the phosphomannose isomerase gene as alternative selectable marker for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of flax (Linum usitatissimum). Plant Cell Rep. 2007;26:765-72 pubmed..These results indicate that the PMI/mannose selection system can be successfully used for the recovery of flax transgenic plants under safe conditions for human health and the environment. ..
- Roux C, Gresh N, Perera L, Piquemal J, Salmon L. Binding of 5-phospho-D-arabinonohydroxamate and 5-phospho-D-arabinonate inhibitors to zinc phosphomannose isomerase from Candida albicans studied by polarizable molecular mechanics and quantum mechanics. J Comput Chem. 2007;28:938-57 pubmed
- McCarthy T, Torrelles J, MacFarlane A, Katawczik M, Kutzbach B, DesJardin L, et al. Overexpression of Mycobacterium tuberculosis manB, a phosphomannomutase that increases phosphatidylinositol mannoside biosynthesis in Mycobacterium smegmatis and mycobacterial association with human macrophages. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:774-90 pubmed..We conclude that MtmanB encodes a functional PMM involved in the biosynthesis of mannosylated lipoglycans that participate in the association of mycobacteria with macrophage phagocytic receptors. ..
- Proudfoot A, Turcatti G, Wells T, Payton M, Smith D. Purification, cDNA cloning and heterologous expression of human phosphomannose isomerase. Eur J Biochem. 1994;219:415-23 pubmed..The cDNA was expressed in Escherichia coli permitting the isolation of pure recombinant protein which will be used for kinetic and structural studies. ..
- Zasypkin M, Lapinskiĭ A, Primak A. [Modification of a method for detecting the post-phoretic activity of mannose (Mpi, EC 184.108.40.206)- and glucose (Gpi, EC220.127.116.11)-6-phosphate isomerase]. Genetika. 2001;37:708-11 pubmed..A method for detecting activities of mannose- and glucose-6-phosphate isomerases based on enzyme production of the substrates is described. The results obtained for several animal taxa are illustrated by photographs. ..
- Patterson J, Waller R, Jeevarajah D, Billman Jacobe H, McConville M. Mannose metabolism is required for mycobacterial growth. Biochem J. 2003;372:77-86 pubmed..These results show that mannose metabolism is required for growth of M. smegmatis and that one or more mannose-containing molecules may play a role in regulating septation and cell division in these bacteria. ..
- Jaeken J. Komrower Lecture. Congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDG): it's all in it!. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2003;26:99-118 pubmed..The latter group promises to become an important new chapter in CDG. It is concluded that CDGs will eventually cover the whole clinical spectrum of paediatric and adult disease manifestations. ..
- Vuillaumier Barrot S, Le Bizec C, de Lonlay P, Barnier A, Mitchell G, Pelletier V, et al. Protein losing enteropathy-hepatic fibrosis syndrome in Saguenay-Lac St-Jean, Quebec is a congenital disorder of glycosylation type Ib. J Med Genet. 2002;39:849-51 pubmed
- Ryttman H, Thebo P, Gustavsson I. Regional assignments of NP and MPI on chromosome 7 in pig, Sus scrofa. Anim Genet. 1988;19:197-200 pubmed..This confirmed previously reported chromosomal assignment of these genes in pigs and that this synteny has been evolutionarily conserved in several different animal species. ..
- Swan M, Hansen T, Schonheit P, Davies C. Structural basis for phosphomannose isomerase activity in phosphoglucose isomerase from Pyrobaculum aerophilum: a subtle difference between distantly related enzymes. Biochemistry. 2004;43:14088-95 pubmed..Thus, the PMI reaction in PaPGI/PMI probably uses a cis-enediol mechanism of catalysis, and this activity appears to arise from a subtle difference in the architecture of the enzyme, compared to bacterial and eukaryotic PGIs...
- Ondrechen M, Clifton J, Ringe D. THEMATICS: a simple computational predictor of enzyme function from structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:12473-8 pubmed..The preponderance of residues with such perturbed curves occur in the active site. Additional results are given in summary form to show the success of the method for proteins with a variety of different chemistries and structures. ..
- Petersen W, Umbeck P, Hokanson K, Halsey M. Biosafety considerations for selectable and scorable markers used in cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) biotechnology. Environ Biosafety Res. 2005;4:89-102 pubmed..These appear to represent the safest options for use in cassava biotechnology available at this time. ..
- Jensen S, Reeves P. Molecular evolution of the GDP-mannose pathway genes (manB and manC) in Salmonella enterica. Microbiology. 2001;147:599-610 pubmed publisher..enterica and more closely related species...
- Schmidt M, Arnold W, Niemann A, Kleickmann A, Puhler A. The Rhizobium meliloti pmi gene encodes a new type of phosphomannose isomerase. Gene. 1992;122:35-43 pubmed..The construction of a pmi-deficient mutant of R. meliloti using the sacB-sacR cassette technique showed that the loss of PMI activity does not affect the symbiotic properties of this strain. ..
- Shinabarger D, Berry A, May T, Rothmel R, Fialho A, Chakrabarty A. Purification and characterization of phosphomannose isomerase-guanosine diphospho-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase. A bifunctional enzyme in the alginate biosynthetic pathway of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:2080-8 pubmed..DNA sequencing of a cloned mutant algA gene from P. aeruginosa revealed that a point mutation at nucleotide 961 greatly decreased the levels of both PMI and GMP in a crude extract. ..
- Wakamatsu N, Gotoda Y, Saito S, Kawai H. Characterization of the human MANB gene encoding lysosomal alpha-D-mannosidase. Gene. 1997;198:351-7 pubmed..These data demonstrate that, like other lysosomal enzyme genes such as those for beta-glucuronidase or beta-hexosaminidase, the human MANB gene is controlled by a short 5' flanking sequence located near the initiation codon. ..
- Fang W, Yu X, Wang B, Zhou H, Ouyang H, Ming J, et al. Characterization of the Aspergillus fumigatus phosphomannose isomerase Pmi1 and its impact on cell wall synthesis and morphogenesis. Microbiology. 2009;155:3281-93 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that PMI activity is essential for viability and plays a central regulatory role in both cell wall synthesis and energy production in A. fumigatus. ..
- Smith D, Proudfoot A, Friedli L, Klig L, Paravicini G, Payton M. PMI40, an intron-containing gene required for early steps in yeast mannosylation. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:2924-30 pubmed..PMI enzyme activity, however, is not increased in D-mannose-grown cells, and PMI protein levels remain constant, suggesting that the PMI40 gene is subject to additional levels of regulation. ..
- Eicher E, Taylor B, Leighton S, Womack J. A serum protein polymorphism determinant on chromosome 9 of Mus musculus. Mol Gen Genet. 1980;177:571-6 pubmed..Because the genotype of SEP-1 can be determined for individual mice without killing them, Sep-1 is a very useful gene in linkage studies and experimental biology. ..
- Morava E, Cser B, Karteszi J, Huijben K, Szonyi L, Kosztolanyi G, et al. Screening for CDG type Ia in Joubert syndrome. Med Sci Monit. 2004;10:CR469-72 pubmed..The symptoms of the two syndromes were clearly distinguishable. Syndromic patients with congenital vermis malformations should be screened for congenital disorders of glycosylation. ..
- Bozue J, Tullius M, Wang J, Gibson B, Munson R. Haemophilus ducreyi produces a novel sialyltransferase. Identification of the sialyltransferase gene and construction of mutants deficient in the production of the sialic acid-containing glycoform of the lipooligosaccharide. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:4106-14 pubmed..We conclude that the lst gene encodes the H. ducreyi sialyltransferase. Since the lst gene product has little, if any, structural relationship to other sialyltransferases, this protein represents a new class of sialyltransferase...
- Bergman N, Akerley B. Position-based scanning for comparative genomics and identification of genetic islands in Haemophilus influenzae type b. Infect Immun. 2003;71:1098-108 pubmed
- Tran S, Le D, Kim Y, Shin M, Choi J. Cloning and characterization of phosphomannose isomerase from Sphingomonas chungbukensis DJ77. BMB Rep. 2009;42:523-8 pubmed..Of these ions, Co(2+) was found to be the most effective activator of PMI. GDP-D-mannose was found to inhibit the PMI activity, suggesting feedback regulation of this pathway. ..
- Patil G, Deokar A, Jain P, Thengane R, Srinivasan R. Development of a phosphomannose isomerase-based Agrobacterium-mediated transformation system for chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Plant Cell Rep. 2009;28:1669-76 pubmed publisher..These positive results suggest that the pmi/mannose selection system can be used to produce transgenic plants of chickpea that are free from antibiotic resistance marker genes. ..
- O Kennedy M, Burger J, Botha F. Pearl millet transformation system using the positive selectable marker gene phosphomannose isomerase. Plant Cell Rep. 2004;22:684-90 pubmed
- Davis J, Freeze H. Studies of mannose metabolism and effects of long-term mannose ingestion in the mouse. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1528:116-26 pubmed..Thus, long-term mannose supplementation does not appear to have adverse effects on mannose metabolism and mice safely tolerate increased mannose with no apparent ill effects. ..
- Ning B, Elbein A. Purification and properties of mycobacterial GDP-mannose pyrophosphorylase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;362:339-45 pubmed..This enzyme is important for producing the activated form of mannose for formation of cell wall lipoarabinomannan and various mannose-containing glycolipids and polysaccharides. ..
- Sousa S, Moreira L, Leitão J. Functional analysis of the Burkholderia cenocepacia J2315 BceAJ protein with phosphomannose isomerase and GDP-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase activities. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008;80:1015-22 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that the enzyme favours the formation of GDP-mannose instead of mannose catabolism, thus channelling precursors to the formation of glycoconjugates. ..
- Muths D, Davoult D, Gentil F, Jollivet D. Incomplete cryptic speciation between intertidal and subtidal morphs of Acrocnida brachiata (Echinodermata: Ophiuroidea) in the Northeast Atlantic. Mol Ecol. 2006;15:3303-18 pubmed..As previously suspected for a species with a very short pelagic larval phase, contemporary gene flow between distant or adjacent populations appears to be extremely reduced or even absent...
- Hendriksz C, McClean P, Henderson M, Keir D, Worthington V, Imtiaz F, et al. Successful treatment of carbohydrate deficient glycoprotein syndrome type 1b with oral mannose. Arch Dis Child. 2001;85:339-40 pubmed..She is homozygous for a mutation, D131N, in the phosphomannose isomerase gene (PM1), consistent with the diagnosis of carbohydrate deficient glycoprotein syndrome type 1b. She responded to oral mannose treatment. ..
- Smith D, Proudfoot A, Detiani M, Wells T, Payton M. Cloning and heterologous expression of the Candida albicans gene PMI 1 encoding phosphomannose isomerase. Yeast. 1995;11:301-10 pubmed..coli leads to partitioning of the enzyme between the soluble and particulate fractions. The protein produced in the soluble fraction is indistinguishable in kinetic properties from the material isolated from C. albicans cells. ..
- de Lonlay P, Seta N. The clinical spectrum of phosphomannose isomerase deficiency, with an evaluation of mannose treatment for CDG-Ib. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1792:841-3 pubmed publisher..Liver disease, however, still persisted. Heparin can be used as an alternative to mannose in certain patients, particularly in the treatment of enteropathy. ..
- Sampaio M, Santos H, Boos W. Synthesis of GDP-mannose and mannosylglycerate from labeled mannose by genetically engineered Escherichia coli without loss of specific isotopic enrichment. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:233-40 pubmed..The final product is formed in a yield exceeding 50% the initial quantity of labeled mannose, including loss during preparation and paper chromatography. ..
- Kato A, Inouhe M. Mannose accommodation of Vigna angularis cells on solid agar medium involves its possible conversion to sucrose mediated by enhanced phosphomannose isomerase activity. J Plant Res. 2008;121:339-49 pubmed publisher..The possible differences in the metabolic activities and other physiological characteristics are discussed between callus and suspension cells. ..
- Collins L, Hackett J. Sequence of the phosphomannose isomerase-encoding gene of Salmonella typhimurium. Gene. 1991;103:135-6 pubmed..The cloned gene was sequenced; there was 77.4% nucleotide homology between the cloned pmi gene and the analogous manA gene of E. coli K-12, and 86.2% amino acid sequence homology between their presumptive gene products. ..
- de Koning T, Nikkels P, Dorland L, Bekhof J, De Schrijver J, Van Hattum J, et al. Congenital hepatic fibrosis in 3 siblings with phosphomannose isomerase deficiency. Virchows Arch. 2000;437:101-5 pubmed..Recognition of phosphomannose isomerase deficiency in association with congenital hepatic fibrosis and protein-losing enteropathy is important, because some of the clinical symptoms are potentially treatable by oral mannose therapy. ..
- Stevenson G, Neal B, Liu D, Hobbs M, Packer N, Batley M, et al. Structure of the O antigen of Escherichia coli K-12 and the sequence of its rfb gene cluster. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4144-56 pubmed..We suggest that the K-12 gene cluster is a member of a family of rfb gene clusters, including those of Dysenteriae 1 and Flexneri, which evolved outside E. coli and was acquired by lateral gene transfer. ..
- Lai V, Wang L, Reeves P. Escherichia coli clone Sonnei (Shigella sonnei) had a chromosomal O-antigen gene cluster prior to gaining its current plasmid-borne O-antigen genes. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2983-6 pubmed..We also identified, by PCR and sequencing, a potential ancestor of E. coli Sonnei among the 166 known E. coli serotype strains. ..
- Jung Y, Kang S, Hyun C, Yang Y, Kang C, Suh J. Isolation and characterization of bluensomycin biosynthetic genes from Streptomyces bluensis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;219:285-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that the isolated gene cluster is very likely to be responsible for the biosynthesis of bluensomycin. ..
- Higashidani A, Bode L, Nishikawa A, Freeze H. Exogenous mannose does not raise steady state mannose-6-phosphate pools of normal or N-glycosylation-deficient human fibroblasts. Mol Genet Metab. 2009;96:268-72 pubmed publisher..These results make it very unlikely that exogenous mannose could impair N-glycosylation in glycosylation-deficient CDG patients. ..
- Ballester A, Cervera M, Peña L. Evaluation of selection strategies alternative to nptII in genetic transformation of citrus. Plant Cell Rep. 2008;27:1005-15 pubmed publisher..Thirdly, the highest transformation rates were obtained with the PMI/mannose system, 30% for citrange and 13% for sweet orange, which indicates that this marker is also an excellent candidate for citrus transformation. ..
- Aswath C, Mo S, Kim D, Park S. Agrobacterium and biolistic transformation of onion using non-antibiotic selection marker phosphomannose isomerase. Plant Cell Rep. 2006;25:92-9 pubmed..Integrative transformation was confirmed by PCR, RT-PCR and Southern hybridization. ..
- Foret J, de Courcy B, Gresh N, Piquemal J, Salmon L. Synthesis and evaluation of non-hydrolyzable D-mannose 6-phosphate surrogates reveal 6-deoxy-6-dicarboxymethyl-D-mannose as a new strong inhibitor of phosphomannose isomerases. Bioorg Med Chem. 2009;17:7100-7 pubmed publisher..The kinetic study reported here also suggests the dianionic character of the phosphate surrogate as a likely essential parameter for strong binding of the inhibitor to the enzyme active site. ..
- Ingham D, Beer S, Money S, Hansen G. Quantitative real-time PCR assay for determining transgene copy number in transformed plants. Biotechniques. 2001;31:132-4, 136-40 pubmed..This transformation procedure generates predominantly low copy number insertion events, which simplified assay development. We have also successful applied this assay to other crops and transformation systems. ..
- Sousa S, Moreira L, Wopperer J, Eberl L, Sá Correia I, Leitão J. The Burkholderia cepacia bceA gene encodes a protein with phosphomannose isomerase and GDP-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase activities. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;353:200-6 pubmed..However, the viscosity of aqueous solutions prepared with the EPS produced by the bceA mutant was significantly reduced compared with wild-type biopolymer and the mutant forms biofilms with a size reduced by 6-fold. ..
- Chern C, Kennett R, Engel E, Mellman W, Croce C. Assignment of the structural genes for the alpha subunit of hexosaminidase A, mannosephosphate isomerase, and pyruvate kinase to the region q22-qter of human chromosome 15. Somatic Cell Genet. 1977;3:553-60 pubmed..A positive correlation was established between the expression of these human phenotypes and the presence of the distal half of the long arm of human chromosome 15. ..
- Niehues R, Hasilik M, Alton G, Korner C, Schiebe Sukumar M, Koch H, et al. Carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndrome type Ib. Phosphomannose isomerase deficiency and mannose therapy. J Clin Invest. 1998;101:1414-20 pubmed..Daily oral mannose administration is a successful therapy for this new type of CDG syndrome classified as CDGS type Ib. ..
- Wu B, Zhang Y, Zheng R, Guo C, Wang P. Bifunctional phosphomannose isomerase/GDP-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase is the point of control for GDP-D-mannose biosynthesis in Helicobacter pylori. FEBS Lett. 2002;519:87-92 pubmed..The inhibition is of non-competitive (mixed) type. As the enzyme is found only in bacteria probably participating in capsular polysaccharide biosynthesis, it could be a specific therapeutic target against bacterial infection. ..
- Veliz D, Bourget E, Bernatchez L. Regional variation in the spatial scale of selection at MPI* and GPI* in the acorn barnacle Semibalanus balanoides (Crustacea). J Evol Biol. 2004;17:953-66 pubmed..Comparisons between this study and previous ones also question the generality of current hypotheses regarding ecological processes that are responsible for maintaining polymorphism at MPI* and GPI* in the acorn barnacle. ..
- Awram P, Smit J. Identification of lipopolysaccharide O antigen synthesis genes required for attachment of the S-layer of Caulobacter crescentus. Microbiology. 2001;147:1451-60 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data are consistent with the hypothesis that the O antigen of C. crescentus S-LPS consists primarily of N-acetylperosamine residues polymerized with multiple anomeric linkages...
- Proudfoot A, Payton M, Wells T. Purification and characterization of fungal and mammalian phosphomannose isomerases. J Protein Chem. 1994;13:619-27 pubmed..albicans enzymes are almost identical. We suggest therefore that species-selective inhibition of the fungal rather than mammalian enzyme may require molecules which bind away from the substrate binding pocket of the enzyme. ..
- Tsukayama P, Lucas C, Bacon D. Typing of four genetic loci discriminates among closely related species of New World Leishmania. Int J Parasitol. 2009;39:355-62 pubmed publisher..braziliensis, this method ensures correct species identification, even when the agent is a genetic variant. Proper identification could facilitate adequate treatment, preventing the onset of the disfiguring mucosal form of the disease. ..
- Lee H, Chang H, Venkatesan N, Peng H. Identification of amino acid residues important for the phosphomannose isomerase activity of PslB in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:3479-83 pubmed publisher..The PMI activity of PslB was completely diminished with a R408K or R408A, reflecting the importance of this residue in catalysis. Overall, these results provide a basis for understanding the catalytic mechanism of PMI...
- Alton G, Hasilik M, Niehues R, Panneerselvam K, Etchison J, Fana F, et al. Direct utilization of mannose for mammalian glycoprotein biosynthesis. Glycobiology. 1998;8:285-95 pubmed..Extracellular mannose may also make a significant contribution to glycoprotein biosynthesis in the intact organism. ..
- Robertson B, Frosch M, van Putten J. The identification of cryptic rhamnose biosynthesis genes in Neisseria gonorrhoeae and their relationship to lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:6915-20 pubmed..gonorrhoeae either because of the presence of the galE gene or because of another as yet unrecognized function...
- Salvati L, Mattu M, Tiberi F, Polticelli F, Ascenzi P. Inhibition of Saccharomyces cerevisiae phosphomannose isomerase by the NO-donor S-nitroso-acetyl-penicillamine. J Enzyme Inhib. 2001;16:287-92 pubmed..The analysis of the X-ray crystal structure of C. albicans PMI and of the molecular model of S. cerevisiae PMI provides a rationale for the low reactivity of Cys150 towards alkylating and nitrosylating agents. ..
- Nic Lochlainn L, Caffrey P. Phosphomannose isomerase and phosphomannomutase gene disruptions in Streptomyces nodosus: impact on amphotericin biosynthesis and implications for glycosylation engineering. Metab Eng. 2009;11:40-7 pubmed publisher..With further genetic engineering these mutants may activate alternative hexoses as GDP-sugars for transfer to aglycones in vivo. ..
- Guest J, Roberts R. Cloning, mapping, and expression of the fumarase gene of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1983;153:588-96 pubmed..The basis for the complementation by fumB was not defined. ..
- Jaeken J, Matthijs G, Saudubray J, Dionisi Vici C, Bertini E, de Lonlay P, et al. Phosphomannose isomerase deficiency: a carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndrome with hepatic-intestinal presentation. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;62:1535-9 pubmed
- Yeom S, Kim N, Park C, Oh D. L-ribose production from L-arabinose by using purified L-arabinose isomerase and mannose-6-phosphate isomerase from Geobacillus thermodenitrificans. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:6941-3 pubmed publisher..0, 70 degrees C, and 1 mM Co(2+) for 3 h, with a conversion yield of 23.6% and a volumetric productivity of 39.3 g liter(-1) h(-1). ..
- Li Y, Ogata Y, Freeze H, Scott C, Turecek F, Gelb M. Affinity capture and elution/electrospray ionization mass spectrometry assay of phosphomannomutase and phosphomannose isomerase for the multiplex analysis of congenital disorders of glycosylation types Ia and Ib. Anal Chem. 2003;75:42-8 pubmed..The affinity purification procedure is fully automated, and the mass spectrometric analysis is multiplexed in a fashion that is suitable for high-throughput applications. ..
- Ryttman H, Thebo P, Gustavsson I, Gahne B, Juneja R. Further data on chromosomal assignments of pig enzyme loci LDHA, LDHB, MPI, PEPB and PGM1, using somatic cell hybrids. Anim Genet. 1986;17:323-33 pubmed..5. The proposed synteny between LDHB and PEPB in pigs is in accordance with the synteny observed between these two loci in several other mammalian species. ..
- Korner C, Knauer R, Holzbach U, Hanefeld F, Lehle L, Von Figura K. Carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndrome type V: deficiency of dolichyl-P-Glc:Man9GlcNAc2-PP-dolichyl glucosyltransferase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13200-5 pubmed..This finding is reflected in the presence of transferrin forms in serum that lack one or both of the two N-linked oligosaccharides and the reduction of mannose incorporation to about one-third of control in glycoproteins of fibroblasts. ..
- Yeom S, Kim N, Yoon R, Kwon H, Park C, Oh D. Characterization of a mannose-6-phosphate isomerase from Geobacillus thermodenitrificans that converts monosaccharides. Biotechnol Lett. 2009;31:1273-8 pubmed publisher..GTMpi catalyzed the conversion of D-lyxose to D-xylulose with a 38% conversion yield after 3 h, and converted L-ribose to L-ribulose with a 29% conversion yield. ..
- Roux C, Lee J, Jeffery C, Salmon L. Inhibition of type I and type II phosphomannose isomerases by the reaction intermediate analogue 5-phospho-D-arabinonohydroxamic acid supports a catalytic role for the metal cofactor. Biochemistry. 2004;43:2926-34 pubmed..All together, our results are consistent with a catalytic role for the metal cofactor in PMI activity. ..