Genomes and Genes
mannose binding protein associated serine proteases
Summary: Serum serine proteases which participate in COMPLEMENT ACTIVATION. They are activated when complexed with the MANNOSE-BINDING LECTIN, therefore also known as Mannose-binding protein-Associated Serine Proteases (MASPs). They cleave COMPLEMENT C4 and COMPLEMENT C2 to form C4b2a, the CLASSICAL PATHWAY C3 CONVERTASE.
- Skjoedt M, Hummelshoj T, Palarasah Y, Honore C, Koch C, Skjodt K, et al. A novel mannose-binding lectin/ficolin-associated protein is highly expressed in heart and skeletal muscle tissues and inhibits complement activation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8234-43 pubmed publisher..It is found in complex with MBL and ficolins and may function as a potent inhibitor of the complement system in vivo. ..
- Degn S, Hansen A, Steffensen R, Jacobsen C, Jensenius J, Thiel S. MAp44, a human protein associated with pattern recognition molecules of the complement system and regulating the lectin pathway of complement activation. J Immunol. 2009;183:7371-8 pubmed publisher..MAp44 competes with MASP-2 for binding to MBL and ficolins, resulting in inhibition of complement activation. Our results add a novel mechanism to those known to control the innate immune system. ..
- Valles X, Sarrias M, Casals F, Farnós M, Piner R, Suarez B, et al. Genetic and structural analysis of MBL2 and MASP2 polymorphisms in south-eastern African children. Tissue Antigens. 2009;74:298-307 pubmed publisher..7%) and P111L (25.4%)] were compared with those of two previously reported variants (R103C and D105G). None of the analysed MASP2 variants, with the exception of D105G, interfered with interactions with either MBL or ficolins (H and L). ..
- Liu J, Cao C, Ma Q. [Study on interaction between SARS-CoV N and MAP19]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;25:777-9 pubmed..SARS-CoV N greatly increased the amount of MAP19. SARS-CoV N can bind with MAP19 in cells. Our study may be conductive to further research into the molecular mechanism of action between SARS-CoV N and MAP19. ..
- Ip W, Takahashi K, Ezekowitz R, Stuart L. Mannose-binding lectin and innate immunity. Immunol Rev. 2009;230:9-21 pubmed publisher..In this review we discuss both the attributes of MBL that make it a unique soluble pattern recognition molecule and also highlight its broader role in coordinating innate immune activation. ..
- Kaunisto M, Sjölind L, Sallinen R, Pettersson Fernholm K, Saraheimo M, Fröjdö S, et al. Elevated MBL concentrations are not an indication of association between the MBL2 gene and type 1 diabetes or diabetic nephropathy. Diabetes. 2009;58:1710-4 pubmed publisher..Although most of the MBL2 SNPs studied were associated with the MBL concentration, no common variations (neither single SNPs nor their haplotype combinations) confer risk of type 1 diabetes or diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Takahashi M, Ishida Y, Iwaki D, Kanno K, Suzuki T, Endo Y, et al. Essential role of mannose-binding lectin-associated serine protease-1 in activation of the complement factor D. J Exp Med. 2010;207:29-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, it is clear that MASP-1 is an essential protease of both the lectin and alternative complement pathways...
- Duus K, Thielens N, Lacroix M, Tacnet P, Frachet P, Holmskov U, et al. CD91 interacts with mannan-binding lectin (MBL) through the MBL-associated serine protease-binding site. FEBS J. 2010;277:4956-64 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that MBL and L-ficolin interact with CD91, strongly suggesting that they have the potential to function as soluble recognition molecules for scavenging microbial and apoptotic material by CD91. ..
- Zuo D, Cai X, Zhao N, Zhang L, Chen Z. Location of MBL-associated serine proteases binding motifs on human mannan-binding lectin (MBL). Protein Pept Lett. 2010;17:131-6 pubmed
- Xing G, Chen M, Liu G, Zheng X, E J, Zhao M. Differential deposition of C4d and MBL in glomeruli of patients with ANCA-negative pauci-immune crescentic glomerulonephritis. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:144-56 pubmed publisher..Complement activation was involved in renal damage of human ANCA-negative pauci-immune CrGN but with heterogeneous activation pathways. Positive staining of C4d and MBL might be associated with poor renal outcome. ..
- Yang Y, Xu X, Wang X, Zhu G. [Species and characteristics of protein adsorption on reused hemodialysis membranes]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2009;26:67-71 pubmed..These proteins are in close relationship with human immune system; moreover, they are of great significance to the clinical mechanism for cleaning reuse hemodialyzers and to the development of new hemodialysis materials. ..
- Cedzynski M, Atkinson A, St Swierzko A, MacDonald S, Szala A, Zeman K, et al. L-ficolin (ficolin-2) insufficiency is associated with combined allergic and infectious respiratory disease in children. Mol Immunol. 2009;47:415-9 pubmed publisher..MBL insufficiency and MASP-2 deficiency are risk factors for recurrence of infections independently of allergic disease. ..
- Venkatraman Girija U, Furze C, Toth J, Schwaeble W, Mitchell D, Keeble A, et al. Engineering novel complement activity into a pulmonary surfactant protein. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10546-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the active rather than the zymogen state is default in lectin.MASP complexes and must be inhibited through additional regions in circulating MBLs until triggered by pathogen recognition. ..
- Smithson A, Perello R, Aibar J, Espinosa G, Tassies D, Freire C, et al. Genotypes coding for low serum levels of mannose-binding lectin are underrepresented among individuals suffering from noninfectious systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:447-53 pubmed publisher..The presence of high-MBL-producing genotypes in patients with a noninfectious insult is a risk factor for SIRS and ICU admission. ..
- Carroll M, Lack N, Sim E, Krarup A, Sim R. Multiple routes of complement activation by Mycobacterium bovis BCG. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:3367-78 pubmed publisher..No M. bovis BCG cell surface or secreted protease appears likely to influence complement activation. Together, these data provide a more detailed analysis of the mechanisms by which M. bovis BCG interacts with the complement system. ..
- Gulla K, Gupta K, Krarup A, Gal P, Schwaeble W, Sim R, et al. Activation of mannan-binding lectin-associated serine proteases leads to generation of a fibrin clot. Immunology. 2010;129:482-95 pubmed publisher..Additionally, MASP-catalysed deposition and polymerization of fibrin on the surface of micro-organisms may be protective by limiting the dissemination of infection. ..
- Wang Y, Yan J, Shi Y, Li P, Liu C, Ma Q, et al. Lack of association between polymorphisms of MASP2 and susceptibility to SARS coronavirus infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:51 pubmed publisher..Our data do not suggest a role for MASP2 polymorphisms in SARS susceptibility in northern and southern China. ..
- Dobó J, Harmat V, Beinrohr L, Sebestyén E, Zavodszky P, Gal P. MASP-1, a promiscuous complement protease: structure of its catalytic region reveals the basis of its broad specificity. J Immunol. 2009;183:1207-14 pubmed publisher..The structure shows that its substrate binding groove is accessible; however, its reactivity could be modulated by an unusually large 60-loop and an internal salt bridge involving the S1 Asp. ..
- Zuraw B, Christiansen S. Pathogenesis and laboratory diagnosis of hereditary angioedema. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2009;30:487-92 pubmed publisher..The knowledge gained concerning the underlying mechanisms of the different types of HAE allow the clinician to approach the laboratory diagnosis with confidence and provides opportunities for novel therapeutic strategies. ..
- Cestari I, Krarup A, Sim R, Inal J, Ramirez M. Role of early lectin pathway activation in the complement-mediated killing of Trypanosoma cruzi. Mol Immunol. 2009;47:426-37 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish that the complement lectin pathway recognizes T. cruzi and provide molecular insights into how the infectious stage inhibits this activation to resist complement system killing. ..
- Matsushita M. Ficolins: complement-activating lectins involved in innate immunity. J Innate Immun. 2010;2:24-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, serum ficolins play an important role in innate immunity. ..
- Xu X, Yang Y, Zhu N. Characteristics and molecular mechanism of adhesion proteins on reused hemodialysis membranes. Blood Purif. 2009;27:321-9 pubmed publisher..56 +/- 1.36, p < 0.01). The dipole moment of a polysulfone membrane molecule has a tendency to absorb molecules with a negative charge. These results are of significance in understanding and improving membrane protein interactions. ..
- Degn S, Jensen L, Gal P, Dobó J, Holmvad S, Jensenius J, et al. Biological variations of MASP-3 and MAp44, two splice products of the MASP1 gene involved in regulation of the complement system. J Immunol Methods. 2010;361:37-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, neither of the two proteins behaves as a classical acute phase protein. ..
- Kocsis A, Kekesi K, Szasz R, Végh B, Balczer J, Dobó J, et al. Selective inhibition of the lectin pathway of complement with phage display selected peptides against mannose-binding lectin-associated serine protease (MASP)-1 and -2: significant contribution of MASP-1 to lectin pathway activation. J Immunol. 2010;185:4169-78 pubmed publisher..Because the lectin pathway has been implicated in several life-threatening pathological states, these inhibitors should be considered as lead compounds toward developing lectin pathway blocking therapeutics. ..
- Gulla K, Gupta K, Hajela K. Functional estimation of mannose binding lectin associated serine protease (MBL-MASPs) in human serum. Indian J Med Res. 2009;130:428-32 pubmed..Our findings showed that the method developed for the estimation of functional MBL-MASPs levels in human serum is simple, cost-effective and comparable with existing ELISA method. ..