Genomes and Genes
Summary: A product of the lysis of plasminogen (profibrinolysin) by PLASMINOGEN activators. It is composed of two polypeptide chains, light (B) and heavy (A), with a molecular weight of 75,000. It is the major proteolytic enzyme involved in blood clot retraction or the lysis of fibrin and quickly inactivated by antiplasmins.
- Niego B, Lee N, Larsson P, De Silva T, Au A, McCutcheon F, et al. Selective inhibition of brain endothelial Rho-kinase-2 provides optimal protection of an in vitro blood-brain barrier from tissue-type plasminogen activator and plasmin. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177332 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight ROCK-2 as the key isoform driving BBB impairment and brain endothelial damage by rt-PA and the potential of KD025 to optimally protect the BBB during thrombolysis. ..
- Ilich A, Bokarev I, Key N. Global assays of fibrinolysis. Int J Lab Hematol. 2017;39:441-447 pubmed publisher..All of these assays have strengths and limitations. We suggest that some methods may be preferable for detecting hypofibrinolytic conditions, whereas others may be better for detecting hyperfibrinolytic states. ..
- Bridge K, Revill C, Macrae F, Bailey M, Yuldasheva N, Wheatcroft S, et al. Inhibition of plasmin-mediated TAFI activation may affect development but not progression of abdominal aortic aneurysms. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177117 pubmed publisher..Late treatment with a TAFI inhibitor does not prevent AAA progression. These data may indicate a role for inhibition of plasmin-mediated TAFI activation in the early stages of AAA development, but not in its progression. ..
- Rosenberg R. Actions and interactions of antithrombin and heparin. N Engl J Med. 1975;292:146-51 pubmed
- Kim S, Choi N, Lee W. Fibrin zymography: a direct analysis of fibrinolytic enzymes on gels. Anal Biochem. 1998;263:115-6 pubmed
- Oursler M, Riggs B, Spelsberg T. Glucocorticoid-induced activation of latent transforming growth factor-beta by normal human osteoblast-like cells. Endocrinology. 1993;133:2187-96 pubmed..This activation of TGF beta may, therefore, play a role in glucocorticoid regulation of bone cell functions. Furthermore, TGF beta is most likely involved in autocrine and paracrine effects on bone cells. ..
- Park J, Keller G, Ferrara N. The vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms: differential deposition into the subepithelial extracellular matrix and bioactivity of extracellular matrix-bound VEGF. Mol Biol Cell. 1993;4:1317-26 pubmed..ECM-bound VEGF189 and VEGF206 have molecular masses consistent with the intact polypeptides. The ECM may represent an important source of VEGF and angiogenic potential. ..
- Kojima S, Nara K, Rifkin D. Requirement for transglutaminase in the activation of latent transforming growth factor-beta in bovine endothelial cells. J Cell Biol. 1993;121:439-48 pubmed..These results indicate that type II TGase is a component required for cell surface, plasmin-mediated LTGF-beta activation process and that increased expression of TGase accompanies retinoid-induced activation of LTGF-beta. ..
- Turner J, Huynh H. Role of tissue remodeling in mammary epithelial cell proliferation and morphogenesis. J Dairy Sci. 1991;74:2801-7 pubmed..In vitro results indicate that insulin-like growth factor-I impairs the secretion of plasminogen activator by bovine mammary epithelial cells. As such, a mechanism of action for bST exists. ..
- Russell J, Schneider A, Katzhendler J, Kowalski K, Sherwood L. Modification of human placental lactogen with plasmin. Preparation and characterization of a modified hormone with increased biologic activity. J Biol Chem. 1979;254:2296-301 pubmed..It is concluded that plasmin cleaves homologous peptides from hPL and growth hormone and that removal of the hexapeptide from hPL results in enhanced biologic activity. ..
- Smyth S, Tsakiris D, Scudder L, Coller B. Structure and function of murine alphaIIbbeta3 (GPIIb/IIIa): studies using monoclonal antibodies and beta3-null mice,. Thromb Haemost. 2000;84:1103-8 pubmed..These results suggest fundamental similarities between human and mouse platelet activation and aggregation, but delineate subtle differences that need to be considered when comparing studies from mice and humans. ..
- Raghunath M, Unsöld C, Kubitscheck U, Bruckner Tuderman L, Peters R, Meuli M. The cutaneous microfibrillar apparatus contains latent transforming growth factor-beta binding protein-1 (LTBP-1) and is a repository for latent TGF-beta1. J Invest Dermatol. 1998;111:559-64 pubmed..Thus, this major connective tissue structure does not only serve as a force bearing element and scaffold for elastin deposition in the dermis, but also as an important repository for latent TGF-beta in the skin. ..
- Chase T, Shaw E. Comparison of the esterase activities of trypsin, plasmin, and thrombin on guanidinobenzoate esters. Titration of the enzymes. Biochemistry. 1969;8:2212-24 pubmed
- Tashima Y, Banno F, Kita T, Matsuda Y, Yanamoto H, Miyata T. Plasminogen Tochigi mice exhibit phenotypes similar to wild-type mice under experimental thrombotic conditions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180981 pubmed publisher..PlgT/T mice can be used to investigate the potential pathophysiological impact of the Plg-A620T mutation. ..
- . Ocriplasmin (Jetrea) for vitreomacular adhesion. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2013;55:63-4 pubmed
- Saida K, Kawakami H, Ohta M, Iwamura K. Coagulation and vascular abnormalities in Crow-Fukase syndrome. Muscle Nerve. 1997;20:486-92 pubmed..Refractory cases responded to combined treatment of prednisolone, human leukocyte interferon, and antithrombin drug. ..
- Koolwijk P, Van Erck M, de Vree W, Vermeer M, Weich H, Hanemaaijer R, et al. Cooperative effect of TNFalpha, bFGF, and VEGF on the formation of tubular structures of human microvascular endothelial cells in a fibrin matrix. Role of urokinase activity. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:1177-88 pubmed..These data may provide insight in the mechanism of angiogenesis as occurs in pathological conditions. ..