Genomes and Genes
rab1 gtp binding proteins
Summary: A genetically related subfamily of RAB GTP-BINDING PROTEINS involved in vesicle transport between the ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM and the GOLGI APPARATUS and through early Golgi compartments. This enzyme was formerly listed as EC 220.127.116.11.
- Weide T, Teuber J, Bayer M, Barnekow A. MICAL-1 isoforms, novel rab1 interacting proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;306:79-86 pubmed..We suggest that MICAL-1 isoforms with their multidomain structure are novel rab1 interacting proteins that function as scaffold proteins connecting different components in the cell. ..
- Moyer B, Allan B, Balch W. Rab1 interaction with a GM130 effector complex regulates COPII vesicle cis--Golgi tethering. Traffic. 2001;2:268-76 pubmed
- Haas A, Yoshimura S, Stephens D, Preisinger C, Fuchs E, Barr F. Analysis of GTPase-activating proteins: Rab1 and Rab43 are key Rabs required to maintain a functional Golgi complex in human cells. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2997-3010 pubmed
- Machner M, Isberg R. Targeting of host Rab GTPase function by the intravacuolar pathogen Legionella pneumophila. Dev Cell. 2006;11:47-56 pubmed..These results indicate that proteins translocated into the host cell by the intravacuolar pathogen L. pneumophila are able to recapitulate events involved in host secretory trafficking. ..
- Tisdale E, Bourne J, Khosravi Far R, Der C, Balch W. GTP-binding mutants of rab1 and rab2 are potent inhibitors of vesicular transport from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi complex. J Cell Biol. 1992;119:749-61 pubmed..We suggest that at least three members of the rab family (rab1a, rab1b, and rab2) use GTP hydrolysis to regulate components of the transport machinery involved in vesicle traffic between early compartments of the secretory pathway. ..
- Wu G, Zhao G, He Y. Distinct pathways for the trafficking of angiotensin II and adrenergic receptors from the endoplasmic reticulum to the cell surface: Rab1-independent transport of a G protein-coupled receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47062-9 pubmed
- Diao A, Rahman D, Pappin D, Lucocq J, Lowe M. The coiled-coil membrane protein golgin-84 is a novel rab effector required for Golgi ribbon formation. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:201-12 pubmed..Our results suggest that golgin-84 plays a key role in the assembly and maintenance of the Golgi ribbon in mammalian cells. ..
- Satoh A, Wang Y, Malsam J, Beard M, Warren G. Golgin-84 is a rab1 binding partner involved in Golgi structure. Traffic. 2003;4:153-61 pubmed..Together these data suggest that golgin-84 is involved in generating and maintaining the architecture of the Golgi apparatus. ..
- Alvarez C, Garcia Mata R, Brandon E, Sztul E. COPI recruitment is modulated by a Rab1b-dependent mechanism. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2116-27 pubmed..Our data suggest a novel role for Rab1b in ARF1- and GBF1-mediated COPI recruitment pathway. ..
- Weide T, Koster M, Barnekow A. Inactive and active mutants of rab1b are not tightly integrated into target membranes. Int J Oncol. 1999;15:727-36 pubmed..Surprisingly, only the rab1b wild-type protein shows the correct intracellular localization, and a tight membrane association. We conclude that the targeting process of rab1b depends predominantly on GDP/GTP exchange. ..
- Allan B, Moyer B, Balch W. Rab1 recruitment of p115 into a cis-SNARE complex: programming budding COPII vesicles for fusion. Science. 2000;289:444-8 pubmed..We propose that Rab1-regulated assembly of functional effector-SNARE complexes defines a conserved molecular mechanism to coordinate recognition between subcellular compartments. ..
- Zhang X, Wang G, Dupre D, Feng Y, Robitaille M, Lazartigues E, et al. Rab1 GTPase and dimerization in the cell surface expression of angiotensin II type 2 receptor. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;330:109-17 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate for the first time that Rab1 GTPase and dimerization modulate export traffic from the ER to the cell surface of newly synthesized AT2R. ..
- Aivazian D, Serrano R, Pfeffer S. TIP47 is a key effector for Rab9 localization. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:917-26 pubmed..These data confirm the importance of effector interactions for Rab9 localization, and support a model in which effector proteins rely on Rabs as much as Rabs rely on effectors to achieve their correct steady state localizations. ..
- Kagan J, Murata T, Roy C. Analysis of Rab1 recruitment to vacuoles containing Legionella pneumophila. Methods Enzymol. 2005;403:71-81 pubmed..Assays used to investigate recruitment of Rab1 by L. pneumophila are described. These assays can be used to determine host and bacterial factors required for L. pneumophila subversion of the host secretory pathway. ..
- Peter F, Plutner H, Zhu H, Kreis T, Balch W. Beta-COP is essential for transport of protein from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi in vitro. J Cell Biol. 1993;122:1155-67 pubmed..We suggest that beta-COP functions in an early step during vesicle formation and that rab1B may be recruited as a component of a precoat complex which participates in the export of protein from the ER via vesicular carriers. ..
- Wang X, Liu F, Qin X, Huang T, Huang B, Zhang Y, et al. Expression of Rab1A is upregulated in human lung cancer and associated with tumor size and T stage. Aging (Albany NY). 2016;8:2790-2798 pubmed publisher..Rab1A knockdown had no effect on mTOR signaling or cell growth. These data suggested that Rab1A may be involved in the pathogenesis of human lung cancer in an mTOR- and MAPK-independent manner. ..
- Wu G, Yussman M, Barrett T, Hahn H, Osinska H, Hilliard G, et al. Increased myocardial Rab GTPase expression: a consequence and cause of cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2001;89:1130-7 pubmed..These results indicate that increased expression of Rab1 GTPase in myocardium distorts subcellular localization of proteins and is sufficient to cause cardiac hypertrophy and failure. ..
- Vielh E, Touchot N, Zahraoui A, Tavitian A. Nucleotide sequence of a rat cDNA: rab1B, encoding a rab1-YPT related protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:1770 pubmed
- Li Y, Wang G, Lin K, Yin H, Zhou C, Liu T, et al. Rab1 GTPase promotes expression of beta-adrenergic receptors in rat pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2010;42:1201-1209 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that beta-ARs function in RPMVECs could be modulated by manipulating beta-ARs traffic from the ER to the Golgi body. We propose the ER-to-Golgi transport as a regulatory site for control of permeability of RPMVECs. ..
- Huang W, Wu G, Wang G. Cell type-specific and light-dependent expression of Rab1 and Rab6 GTPases in mammalian retinas. Vis Neurosci. 2009;26:443-52 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrated that expression of Rab1 and Rab6 was increased with light. These data provided the first evidence implicating that Rab1 and Rab6 may be involved in the regulation of the retinal adaptation. ..
- Marks D, Singh R, Choudhury A, Wheatley C, Pagano R. Use of fluorescent sphingolipid analogs to study lipid transport along the endocytic pathway. Methods. 2005;36:186-95 pubmed..g., rabs) that block specific steps in transport. These methods are presented here so that they can be utilized by others for the study of endocytic trafficking of lipids and other molecules. ..
- Vecchione A, Cooper H, Trim K, Akbarzadeh S, Heath J, Wheldon L. Protein partners in the life history of activated fibroblast growth factor receptors. Proteomics. 2007;7:4565-78 pubmed..The strategic approach adopted in this study has revealed bona fide novel effectors of the FGFR signaling pathway. ..
- Touchot N, Zahraoui A, Vielh E, Tavitian A. Biochemical properties of the YPT-related rab1B protein. Comparison with rab1A. FEBS Lett. 1989;256:79-84 pubmed..The rab1B Lys21----Met mutant protein does not bind GTP, whereas the Ala65----Thr mutant has a reduced GTPase activity and is competent for autophosphorylation in the presence of GTP. ..
- Pierce J, Mayer T, McCarthy J. Evidence for a satellite secretory pathway in neuronal dendritic spines. Curr Biol. 2001;11:351-5 pubmed..Local synthesis, processing, and transport of newly translated integral membrane and secretory proteins may thus provide the molecular basis for synapse-specific modifications during long-term information storage in the brain. ..
- Resch K, Korthaus D, Wedemeyer N, Lengeling A, Ronsiek M, Thiel C, et al. Homology between human chromosome 2p13.3 and the wobbler critical region on mouse chromosome 11: comparative high-resolution mapping of STS and EST loci on YAC/BAC contigs. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:893-8 pubmed
- Komano H, Shiraishi H, Kawamura Y, Sai X, Suzuki R, Serneels L, et al. A new functional screening system for identification of regulators for the generation of amyloid beta-protein. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39627-33 pubmed
- Flowerdew S, Burgoyne R. A VAMP7/Vti1a SNARE complex distinguishes a non-conventional traffic route to the cell surface used by KChIP1 and Kv4 potassium channels. Biochem J. 2009;418:529-40 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that a SNARE complex containing VAMP7 and Vti1a defines a novel traffic pathway to the cell surface in both neuronal and non-neuronal cells. ..
- Sklan E, Serrano R, Einav S, Pfeffer S, Lambright D, Glenn J. TBC1D20 is a Rab1 GTPase-activating protein that mediates hepatitis C virus replication. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36354-61 pubmed..These results highlight a novel mechanism by which viruses can hijack host cell machinery and suggest an attractive model whereby the NS5A-TBC1D20 interaction may promote viral membrane-associated RNA replication. ..
- Hobdy Henderson K, Hales C, Lapierre L, Cheney R, Goldenring J. Dynamics of the apical plasma membrane recycling system during cell division. Traffic. 2003;4:681-93 pubmed..These results indicate that critical components of the apical recycling system remain associated on vesicles throughout the cell cycle and may provide a means for rapid re-establishment of plasma membrane components after mitosis. ..
- Schoebel S, Oesterlin L, Blankenfeldt W, Goody R, Itzen A. RabGDI displacement by DrrA from Legionella is a consequence of its guanine nucleotide exchange activity. Mol Cell. 2009;36:1060-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, apparent GDI displacement by DrrA is linked directly to nucleotide exchange, suggesting a basic model for GDI displacement and specificity of Rab localization that does not require discrete GDI displacement activity. ..
- An Y, Chen C, Moyer B, Rotkiewicz P, Elsliger M, Godzik A, et al. Structural and functional analysis of the globular head domain of p115 provides insight into membrane tethering. J Mol Biol. 2009;391:26-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that the H1 helical tripod contributes to the assembly of Rab-dependent complexes responsible for the tether and SNARE-dependent fusion of membranes. ..
- Farnsworth C, Seabra M, Ericsson L, Gelb M, Glomset J. Rab geranylgeranyl transferase catalyzes the geranylgeranylation of adjacent cysteines in the small GTPases Rab1A, Rab3A, and Rab5A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11963-7 pubmed
- Levivier E, Goud B, Souchet M, Calmels T, Mornon J, Callebaut I. uDENN, DENN, and dDENN: indissociable domains in Rab and MAP kinases signaling pathways. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;287:688-95 pubmed..These however share conserved amino acids which could play a key role in the DENN functions. ..
- Yamayoshi S, Neumann G, Kawaoka Y. Role of the GTPase Rab1b in ebolavirus particle formation. J Virol. 2010;84:4816-20 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the cellular pathways employed for Ebolavirus virion formation. ..
- Seabra M, Brown M, Goldstein J. Retinal degeneration in choroideremia: deficiency of rab geranylgeranyl transferase. Science. 1993;259:377-81 pubmed..The data imply the existence of multiple component A proteins, one of which is missing in choroideremia...
- Saraste J, Goud B. Functional symmetry of endomembranes. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1430-6 pubmed..These considerations emphasize the functional symmetry of endomembrane compartments, which provides a basis for the membrane rearrangements taking place during cell division, polarization, and differentiation. ..
- Wedemeyer N, Schmitt John T, Evers D, Thiel C, Eberhard D, Jockusch H. Conservation of the 3'-untranslated region of the Rab1a gene in amniote vertebrates: exceptional structure in marsupials and possible role for posttranscriptional regulation. FEBS Lett. 2000;477:49-54 pubmed..Yet, sequence conservation is much higher than required to conserve secondary structure. Implications for posttranscriptional regulation and protein binding are discussed. ..
- Brombacher E, Urwyler S, Ragaz C, Weber S, Kami K, Overduin M, et al. Rab1 guanine nucleotide exchange factor SidM is a major phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate-binding effector protein of Legionella pneumophila. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4846-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, L. pneumophila exploits PtdIns(4)P produced by PtdIns 4-kinase IIIbeta to anchor the effectors SidC and SidM to LCVs. ..
- Cai L, Li J, Xin Y, Niu L, Zang J, Sui G. [Analysis of genes related to sensitivity to navalbine and docetaxel in 10 lung cancer cell lines]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2006;28:253-6 pubmed..There is obvious difference in the drug sensitivity-related genes to NVB or Doc between SCLC and NSCLC cell lines. ..
- Marsolais F, Pajak A, Yin F, Taylor M, Gabriel M, Merino D, et al. Proteomic analysis of common bean seed with storage protein deficiency reveals up-regulation of sulfur-rich proteins and starch and raffinose metabolic enzymes, and down-regulation of the secretory pathway. J Proteomics. 2010;73:1587-600 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results have implications for the nutritional quality of common bean, and provide information on the pleiotropic phenotype associated with storage protein deficiency in a dicotyledonous seed. ..
- Dumaresq Doiron K, Savard M, Akam S, Costantino S, Lefrancois S. The phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase PI4KIIIalpha is required for the recruitment of GBF1 to Golgi membranes. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2273-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rab1 contributes to the specificity and timing of GBF1 recruitment by activating PI4KIIIalpha. The PtdIns(4)P produced then allows GBF1 to bind to Golgi membranes and activate Arf1. ..
- Muslin A. Road Rage: Cardiac Rab1 and ER-to-Golgi Traffic. Circ Res. 2001;89:1087-8 pubmed
- Andres D, Seabra M, Brown M, Armstrong S, Smeland T, Cremers F, et al. cDNA cloning of component A of Rab geranylgeranyl transferase and demonstration of its role as a Rab escort protein. Cell. 1993;73:1091-9 pubmed..A genetic defect in REP underlies human choroideremia, a disease of retinal degeneration. ..
- Dalfo E, Gomez Isla T, Rosa J, Nieto Bodelón M, Cuadrado Tejedor M, Barrachina M, et al. Abnormal alpha-synuclein interactions with Rab proteins in alpha-synuclein A30P transgenic mice. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2004;63:302-13 pubmed..This rationale is consistent with previous data showing that short-term hippocampal synaptic plasticity is altered and that alpha-synuclein accumulates in the cytoplasm of neurons in Tg mice. ..
- Winslow A, Chen C, Corrochano S, Acevedo Arozena A, Gordon D, Peden A, et al. Î±-Synuclein impairs macroautophagy: implications for Parkinson's disease. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:1023-37 pubmed publisher..Rab1a, Î±-synuclein, and Atg9 all regulate formation of the omegasome, which marks autophagosome precursors. ..
- Lukman S, Nguyen M, Sim K, Teo J. Discovery of Rab1 binding sites using an ensemble of clustering methods. Proteins. 2017;85:859-871 pubmed publisher..Proteins 2017; 85:859-871. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Pfeffer S. Microbiology: pathogen drop-kick. Nature. 2007;450:361-2 pubmed
- Li L, Chai B, Liang A, Sun Y, Wang W. [Cloning and sequence analysis of a novel member of the rab gene family from Euplotes octocarinatus]. Yi Chuan. 2006;28:437-42 pubmed..The rab gene was therefore designated Eo-rab-1N (GenBank accession number: DQ105562). The evolution of Eo-rab-1N was analyzed using phylogenetic tree of amino acids sequences of Rab1 obtained from GenBank. ..
- Osman A, van Kol S, Peijnenburg A, Blokland M, Pennings J, Kleinjans J, et al. Proteomic analysis of mouse thymoma EL4 cells treated with bis(tri-n-butyltin)oxide (TBTO). J Immunotoxicol. 2009;6:174-83 pubmed publisher..We propose that the observed down-regulation of the expression level of ProTalpha in the TBTO-exposed cells could account for the previously reported anti-proliferative effect of TBTO. ..
- Imoto M, Tachibana I, Urrutia R. Identification and functional characterization of a novel human protein highly related to the yeast dynamin-like GTPase Vps1p. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 10):1341-9 pubmed
- Calero M, Collins R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pra1p/Yip3p interacts with Yip1p and Rab proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:676-81 pubmed..The interactions between Pra1p/Yip3p and Rab proteins are dependent on the presence of the Rab protein C-terminal cysteines and require C-terminal prenylation. ..
- Yoo J, Moyer B, Bannykh S, Yoo H, Riordan J, Balch W. Non-conventional trafficking of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator through the early secretory pathway. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:11401-9 pubmed