Genomes and Genes
rab gtp binding proteins
Summary: A large family of MONOMERIC GTP-BINDING PROTEINS that play a key role in cellular secretory and endocytic pathways.
- Rivera Molina F, Novick P. A Rab GAP cascade defines the boundary between two Rab GTPases on the secretory pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14408-13 pubmed publisher..GEF cascades working in concert with counter-current GAP cascades could generate a programmed series of Rab conversions responsible for regulating the choreography of membrane traffic. ..
- Rocha N, Kuijl C, van der Kant R, Janssen L, Houben D, Janssen H, et al. Cholesterol sensor ORP1L contacts the ER protein VAP to control Rab7-RILP-p150 Glued and late endosome positioning. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1209-25 pubmed publisher..These data explain how the ER and cholesterol control the association of LEs with motor proteins and their positioning in cells. ..
- Donaldson J, Porat Shliom N, Cohen L. Clathrin-independent endocytosis: a unique platform for cell signaling and PM remodeling. Cell Signal. 2009;21:1-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, activation of some of these signaling molecules (H-Ras, Rac and Arf6) can switch the constitutive form of clathrin-independent endocytosis into a stimulated one, associated with PM ruffling and macropinocytosis. ..
- Ebine K, Ueda T. Unique mechanism of plant endocytic/vacuolar transport pathways. J Plant Res. 2009;122:21-30 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarize recent progress in studies on plant-unique RABs and SNAREs functioning in post-Golgi trafficking, with a special focus on the endocytic pathway. ..
- Frasa M, Maximiano F, Smolarczyk K, Francis R, Betson M, Lozano E, et al. Armus is a Rac1 effector that inactivates Rab7 and regulates E-cadherin degradation. Curr Biol. 2010;20:198-208 pubmed publisher..Thus, the integration of Rac1 and Rab7 activities by Armus provides an important regulatory node for E-cadherin turnover and stability of cell-cell contacts. ..
- Cai Y, Chin H, Lazarova D, Menon S, Fu C, Cai H, et al. The structural basis for activation of the Rab Ypt1p by the TRAPP membrane-tethering complexes. Cell. 2008;133:1202-13 pubmed publisher..This view of a multimeric membrane-tethering assembly complexed with a Rab provides a framework for understanding events preceding membrane fusion at the molecular level. ..
- Fukuda M. Regulation of secretory vesicle traffic by Rab small GTPases. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008;65:2801-13 pubmed publisher..In this article I review the current literature on the function of Rab isoforms and their effectors in regulated secretory vesicle traffic. ..
- Mackiewicz P, Wyroba E. Phylogeny and evolution of Rab7 and Rab9 proteins. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:101 pubmed publisher..The identified less conserved regions in analysed Rab sequences may directly contribute to such a differentiation. ..
- del Toro D, Alberch J, Lázaro Diéguez F, Martín Ibáñez R, Xifro X, Egea G, et al. Mutant huntingtin impairs post-Golgi trafficking to lysosomes by delocalizing optineurin/Rab8 complex from the Golgi apparatus. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1478-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that mutant huntingtin perturbs post-Golgi trafficking to lysosomal compartments by delocalizing the optineurin/Rab8 complex, which, in turn, affects the lysosomal function. ..
- Del Conte Zerial P, Brusch L, Rink J, Collinet C, Kalaidzidis Y, Zerial M, et al. Membrane identity and GTPase cascades regulated by toggle and cut-out switches. Mol Syst Biol. 2008;4:206 pubmed publisher..We propose that, by reconciling module performance with progression of activity, the cut-out switch design could underlie the integration of modules in regulatory cascades from a broad range of biological processes. ..
- Rojas R, van Vlijmen T, Mardones G, Prabhu Y, Rojas A, Mohammed S, et al. Regulation of retromer recruitment to endosomes by sequential action of Rab5 and Rab7. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:513-26 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that Rab5 and Rab7 act in concert to regulate retromer recruitment to endosomes...
- Hirota Y, Tanaka Y. A small GTPase, human Rab32, is required for the formation of autophagic vacuoles under basal conditions. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009;66:2913-32 pubmed publisher..We postulate that Rab32 facilitates the formation of autophagic vacuoles whose membranes are derived from the ER and regulates the clearance of aggregated proteins by autophagy. ..
- Kelly E, Horgan C, Adams C, Patzer T, Ní Shúilleabháin D, Norman J, et al. Class I Rab11-family interacting proteins are binding targets for the Rab14 GTPase. Biol Cell. 2009;102:51-62 pubmed publisher..The data presented in the present study, which identifies the class I FIPs as the first putative effector proteins for the Rab14 GTPase, indicates greater complexity in the Rab-binding specificity of the class I FIP proteins. ..
- Zhang J, Fonovic M, Suyama K, Bogyo M, Scott M. Rab35 controls actin bundling by recruiting fascin as an effector protein. Science. 2009;325:1250-4 pubmed publisher..Targeting Rab35 to the outer mitochondrial membrane triggered actin recruitment, demonstrating a role for an intracellular trafficking protein in localized actin assembly. ..
- Figueiredo A, Wasmeier C, Tarafder A, Ramalho J, Baron R, Seabra M. Rab3GEP is the non-redundant guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rab27a in melanocytes. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:23209-16 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate promiscuity in Rab GEF action and suggest that members of related but functionally distinct Rab subfamilies can be controlled by common activators. ..
- Abbal P, Pradal M, Muniz L, Sauvage F, Chatelet P, Ueda T, et al. Molecular characterization and expression analysis of the Rab GTPase family in Vitis vinifera reveal the specific expression of a VvRabA protein. J Exp Bot. 2008;59:2403-16 pubmed publisher..This paper contains the first description of Rab GTPases in V. vinifera. The involvement of a specific VvRab in grape berry late development and the potential role of this Rab GTPase are discussed in relation to literature data. ..
- Tsang W, Bossard C, Khanna H, Peranen J, Swaroop A, Malhotra V, et al. CP110 suppresses primary cilia formation through its interaction with CEP290, a protein deficient in human ciliary disease. Dev Cell. 2008;15:187-97 pubmed publisher..Depletion of CEP290 interferes with localization of Rab8a to centrosomes and cilia. Our results suggest that CEP290 cooperates with Rab8a to promote ciliogenesis and that this function is antagonized by CP110. ..
- Wu H, Rossi G, Brennwald P. The ghost in the machine: small GTPases as spatial regulators of exocytosis. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:397-404 pubmed publisher..The localized activation of the exocyst by Rho GTPases is likely to have an important role in spatial regulation of exocytosis. ..
- Jing J, Prekeris R. Polarized endocytic transport: the roles of Rab11 and Rab11-FIPs in regulating cell polarity. Histol Histopathol. 2009;24:1171-80 pubmed publisher..This mini-review describes the recent advances in identifying and characterizing the role of Rab11 and its effector proteins that play important roles in polarized endocytic sorting and transport. ..
- Sasikumar S, Roy J. Developmental expression of Rab11, a small GTP-binding protein in Drosophila epithelia. Genesis. 2009;47:32-9 pubmed publisher..genesis 47:32-39, 2009. (c) 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Pellinen T, Tuomi S, Arjonen A, Wolf M, Edgren H, Meyer H, et al. Integrin trafficking regulated by Rab21 is necessary for cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2008;15:371-85 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Rab21-regulated integrin trafficking is essential for normal cell division, and its defects may contribute to multinucleation and genomic instability, which are hallmarks of cancer. ..
- Zhou Z, Yu X. Phagosome maturation during the removal of apoptotic cells: receptors lead the way. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:474-85 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss these exciting new findings, focusing on the mechanisms that regulate the interactions between intracellular organelles and phagosomes. ..
- Sinka R, Gillingham A, Kondylis V, Munro S. Golgi coiled-coil proteins contain multiple binding sites for Rab family G proteins. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:607-15 pubmed publisher..Binding sites for diverse Rabs could ensure that incoming carriers are captured on first contact and moved to their correct destination within the stack. ..
- Pachlopnik Schmid J, Ho C, Diana J, Pivert G, Lehuen A, Geissmann F, et al. A Griscelli syndrome type 2 murine model of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:3219-25 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that LCMV-infected Rab27a-deficient C57BL/6 mice develop features consistent with HLH and, therefore, represent a murine model of HLH in human Griscelli syndrome type 2. ..
- Lynch Day M, Bhandari D, Menon S, Huang J, Cai H, Bartholomew C, et al. Trs85 directs a Ypt1 GEF, TRAPPIII, to the phagophore to promote autophagy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:7811-6 pubmed publisher..Consistent with the observation that a Ypt1 GEF is directed to the PAS, we find that Ypt1 is essential for autophagy. This is an example of a Rab GEF that is specifically targeted for canonical autophagosome formation. ..
- Rowe R, Suszko J, Pekosz A. Roles for the recycling endosome, Rab8, and Rab11 in hantavirus release from epithelial cells. Virology. 2008;382:239-49 pubmed publisher..These data implicate the recycling endosome and the Rab proteins associated with vesicular transport to or from this intracellular organelle as an important pathway for hantavirus trafficking to the plasma membrane. ..
- Blot V, McGraw T. Molecular mechanisms controlling GLUT4 intracellular retention. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3477-87 pubmed publisher..The effects of mutating the LL motif and knockdown of AP-1 were not additive, establishing that AP-1 regulation of GLUT4 trafficking requires the LL motif. ..
- Brett C, Merz A. Osmotic regulation of Rab-mediated organelle docking. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1072-7 pubmed publisher..By altering the relationship between the organelle surface and its enclosed volume, fusion in turn reduces the risk of membrane rupture. ..
- Desclozeaux M, Venturato J, Wylie F, Kay J, Joseph S, Le H, et al. Active Rab11 and functional recycling endosome are required for E-cadherin trafficking and lumen formation during epithelial morphogenesis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C545-56 pubmed publisher..This final effect demonstrated an early and critical interdependence of Rab11 and the RE for E-cadherin targeting, apical membrane formation, and cell polarity in cysts. ..
- Ng E, Tang B. Rab GTPases and their roles in brain neurons and glia. Brain Res Rev. 2008;58:236-46 pubmed publisher..We summarized and discussed recent findings on the roles played by Rabs in neurons and glia in the central nervous system, and speculate on future directions. ..
- Vanlandingham P, Ceresa B. Rab7 regulates late endocytic trafficking downstream of multivesicular body biogenesis and cargo sequestration. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12110-24 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide evidence that RAB7 is required for the transfer of cargo from the LE/MVB to the lysosome and for endocytic organelle maintenance. ..
- Shaye D, Casanova J, Llimargas M. Modulation of intracellular trafficking regulates cell intercalation in the Drosophila trachea. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:964-70 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests a mechanism by which trafficking of adhesion molecules regulates intercalation, and shows how this mechanism can be modulated in vivo to influence cell behaviour. ..
- Cao J, Albertson R, Riggs B, Field C, Sullivan W. Nuf, a Rab11 effector, maintains cytokinetic furrow integrity by promoting local actin polymerization. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:301-13 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which RE-derived vesicles promote furrow integrity by regulating the rate of actin polymerization through the RhoGEF2-Rho1 pathway. ..
- Itoh T, Fujita N, Kanno E, Yamamoto A, Yoshimori T, Fukuda M. Golgi-resident small GTPase Rab33B interacts with Atg16L and modulates autophagosome formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2916-25 pubmed publisher..In addition, overexpression of the Rab33B binding domain of Atg16L suppressed autophagosome formation. Our findings suggest that Rab33 modulates autophagosome formation through interaction with Atg16L. ..
- Kinchen J, Doukoumetzidis K, Almendinger J, Stergiou L, Tosello Trampont A, Sifri C, et al. A pathway for phagosome maturation during engulfment of apoptotic cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:556-66 pubmed publisher..Finally, we have also identified a previously undescribed biochemical complex containing Vps34, dynamin and Rab5(GDP), thus providing a mechanism for Rab5 recruitment to the nascent phagosome. ..
- Kasai K, Fujita T, Gomi H, Izumi T. Docking is not a prerequisite but a temporal constraint for fusion of secretory granules. Traffic. 2008;9:1191-203 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that, in contrast to our conventional understanding, stable attachment of secretory granules to the plasma membrane is not prerequisite but temporally inhibitory for both spontaneous and evoked fusion. ..
- Zhang H, Squirrell J, White J. RAB-11 permissively regulates spindle alignment by modulating metaphase microtubule dynamics in Caenorhabditis elegans early embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2553-65 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that RAB-11, in conjunction with the ER, acts to regulate cell cycle-specific changes in astral microtubule length to ensure proper spindle alignment in Caenorhabditis elegans early embryos. ..
- Sato M, Sato K, Liou W, Pant S, Harada A, Grant B. Regulation of endocytic recycling by C. elegans Rab35 and its regulator RME-4, a coated-pit protein. EMBO J. 2008;27:1183-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that RME-4 functions on coated pits and/or vesicles to recruit RAB-35, which in turn functions in the endosome to promote receptor recycling. ..
- Rehman R, Stigliano E, Lycett G, Sticher L, Sbano F, Faraco M, et al. Tomato Rab11a characterization evidenced a difference between SYP121-dependent and SYP122-dependent exocytosis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2008;49:751-66 pubmed publisher..The differential effect of LeRab11a supports the possibility that SYP121 and SYP122 drive independent secretory events...
- Chun D, McEwen J, Burbea M, Kaplan J. UNC-108/Rab2 regulates postendocytic trafficking in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2682-95 pubmed publisher..These results define a new function for Rab2 in protein trafficking. ..
- Patino Lopez G, Dong X, Ben Aissa K, Bernot K, Itoh T, Fukuda M, et al. Rab35 and its GAP EPI64C in T cells regulate receptor recycling and immunological synapse formation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18323-30 pubmed publisher..TCR enrichment at the IS was impaired by Rab35-DN. Thus, EPI64C and Rab35 regulate a recycling pathway in T cells and contribute to IS formation, most likely by participating in TCR transport to the IS. ..
- Mamishi S, Modarressi M, Pourakbari B, Tamizifar B, Mahjoub F, Fahimzad A, et al. Analysis of RAB27A gene in griscelli syndrome type 2: novel mutations including a deletion hotspot. J Clin Immunol. 2008;28:384-9 pubmed publisher..We present four novel mutations including a deletion hot spot (514del 5). This hot spot is flanked by "direct repeats" of nucleotides, which are previously shown to be associated with areas of recurrent small deletions. ..
- Mizuno Yamasaki E, Medkova M, Coleman J, Novick P. Phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate controls both membrane recruitment and a regulatory switch of the Rab GEF Sec2p. Dev Cell. 2010;18:828-40 pubmed publisher..In this way, the regulation of PI4P levels may switch Sec2p/Sec4p function during vesicle maturation, from a Rab GEF recruitment cascade involving Ypt32p to an effector positive feedback loop involving Sec15p. ..
- Jackson L, Nawabi P, Hentea C, Roark E, Haldar K. The Salmonella virulence protein SifA is a G protein antagonist. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14141-6 pubmed publisher..Importantly, binding to SKIP requires SifA residues W197 and E201 of the conserved WxxxE signature sequence, leading to the speculation that bacterial G protein mimicry may result in G protein antagonism. ..