Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of the Type II site-specific deoxyribonucleases (EC 188.8.131.52). It recognizes and cleaves the sequence A/AGCTT at the slash. HindIII is from Haemophilus influenzae R(d). Numerous isoschizomers have been identified. EC 3.1.21.-.
- Ueyama H. A HindIII DNA polymorphism in the human enteric type smooth muscle actin gene (ACTSG). Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:411 pubmed
- Tosi M, Levi Strauss M, Duponchel C, Meo T. Sequence heterogeneity of murine complementary DNA clones related to the C4 and C4-Slp isoforms of the fourth complement component. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1984;306:389-94 pubmed..Circumstantial evidence supports the identification of the gene lacking the Hind III site in the region corresponding to the carboxy-terminal end of the C4d fragment as the one encoding the C4-Slp isotype. ..
- Otto B, van Dooren S, Nuijens J, Luirink J, Oudega B. Characterization of a hemoglobin protease secreted by the pathogenic Escherichia coli strain EB1. J Exp Med. 1998;188:1091-1103 pubmed..All these characteristics indicate that Hbp may be an important virulence factor that may play a significant role in the pathogenesis of E. coli infections. ..
- Hayashi T, Ohtsuka H, Kuwabara K, Mafune Y, Miyashita N, Moriwaki K, et al. A variant family of mouse minor satellite located on the centromeric region of chromosome 2. Genomics. 1993;17:490-2 pubmed..The sequence probe provides an important marker of the chromosome 2-specific centromere. ..
- Charchar F, Tomaszewski M, Lacka B, Zakrzewski J, Zukowska Szczechowska E, Grzeszczak W, et al. Association of the human Y chromosome with cholesterol levels in the general population. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:308-12 pubmed..The results indicate that a locus/loci on the Y chromosome may influence LDL levels, independent of testosterone levels. ..
- Liu K, Brock M, Shih I, Wang T. Decoding circulating nucleic acids in human serum using microfluidic single molecule spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132:5793-8 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that microfluidic single molecule spectroscopy can be a rapid, facile, and inexpensive alternative to the established PCR-based methods that have been used near exclusively for CNA analysis. ..
- Motoshima K, Ishikawa M, Hashimoto Y, Sugita K. Inhibition of restriction enzymes EcoRI, BamHI and HindIII by phenethylphenylphthalimides derived from thalidomide. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2011;59:880-4 pubmed..Structural development afforded the potent restriction enzyme inhibitors 25 and 26. ..
- Viguera E, Hernandez P, Krimer D, Boistov A, Lurz R, Alonso J, et al. The ColE1 unidirectional origin acts as a polar replication fork pausing site. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:22414-21 pubmed..These observations provide one of the first functional explanations for the disadvantage of head-to-head plasmid multimers with respect to head-to-tail ones. ..
- Duim B, Wassenaar T, Rigter A, Wagenaar J. High-resolution genotyping of Campylobacter strains isolated from poultry and humans with amplified fragment length polymorphism fingerprinting. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1999;65:2369-75 pubmed..We concluded that automated AFLP analysis is an attractive tool which can be used as a primary method for subtyping large numbers of Campylobacter strains and is extremely useful for epidemiological investigations. ..
- Ann D, Carlson D. The structure and organization of a proline-rich protein gene of a mouse multigene family. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:15863-72 pubmed..The high degree of conservation of both nucleotide and amino acid sequences within the repeat region suggests that proline-rich protein genes likely evolved by gene duplication of a 42-base pair internal repeat. ..
- Huang X, Gong R, Lin J, Li R, Xiao L, Duan W, et al. Effects of lipoprotein lipase gene variations, a high-carbohydrate low-fat diet, and gender on serum lipid profiles in healthy Chinese Han youth. Biosci Trends. 2011;5:198-204 pubmed..Effective strategies for dietary interventions targeted at younger populations should take into account the interplay between genetic polymorphisms, diet, and gender. ..
- Crucitti T, Abdellati S, Van Dyck E, Buve A. Molecular typing of the actin gene of Trichomonas vaginalis isolates by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008;14:844-52 pubmed publisher..vaginalis actin genotypes. Further studies are needed to evaluate the method using clinical specimens and to determine the utility of the typing method for the genotypic characterization of T. vaginalis. ..
- Mruk I, Kaczorowski T. Genetic organization and molecular analysis of the EcoVIII restriction-modification system of Escherichia coli E1585-68 and its comparison with isospecific homologs. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:2638-50 pubmed..LlaCI but not with M. HindIII. R. EcoVIII requires Mg(II) ions for phosphodiester bond cleavage. We found that the same ions are strong inhibitors of the M. EcoVIII enzyme. The biological implications of this finding are discussed. ..
- Scott T, Parveen S, Portier K, Rose J, Tamplin M, Farrah S, et al. Geographical variation in ribotype profiles of Escherichia coli isolates from humans, swine, poultry, beef, and dairy cattle in Florida. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:1089-92 pubmed..Results indicate, however, that this procedure can still be used effectively to differentiate E. coli as being either human or animal derived when applied to organisms isolated from a large geographic region. ..
- Board P, Coggan M, Woodcock D. The human Pi class glutathione transferase sequence at 12q13-q14 is a reverse-transcribed pseudogene. Genomics. 1992;14:470-3 pubmed..The results are surprising and indicate that the gene is a partial reverse-transcribed pseudogene that has been inserted into the genome at 12q by chance and has not resulted from the prior tetraploidization of the human genome. ..
- Prasher D, Kasunic D, Kushner S. Physical and genetic characterization of the cloned sbcB (exonuclease I) region of the Escherichia coli genome. J Bacteriol. 1983;153:903-8 pubmed..Of six exonuclease I mutants examined by DNA-DNA hybridization, one (xonA6) appeared to have arisen from a 1.2-kb insertion into the structural gene for exonuclease I. ..
- Love D, Hill D, Dickson G, Spurr N, Byth B, Marsden R, et al. An autosomal transcript in skeletal muscle with homology to dystrophin. Nature. 1989;339:55-8 pubmed..The dystrophin-related sequence identifies a 13-kb transcript in human fetal muscle and maps to chromosome 6. Thus, dystrophin may be a member of a family of functionally related large structural proteins in muscle. ..
- Jiang T, Liu Y, Kong X, Jia J. [Research on the preparation of bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) vector DNA]. Yi Chuan Xue Bao. 2002;29:1126-31 pubmed..They included the optimal concentration of restriction enzyme, optimal digestion time, the type of phosphatase and gel purification of linearized vector DNA. ..
- Mukha D, Sidorenko A, Lazebnaya I, Wiegmann B, Schal C. Analysis of intraspecies polymorphism in the ribosomal DNA cluster of the cockroach Blattella germanica. Insect Mol Biol. 2000;9:217-22 pubmed..We suggest that HindIII restriction fragment polymorphisms within cockroach ribosomal DNA will be a valuable tool for measuring population-level parameters within and between natural cockroach populations. ..
- Lerner C, Switzer R. Cloning and structure of the Bacillus subtilis aspartate transcarbamylase gene (pyrB). J Biol Chem. 1986;261:11156-65 pubmed..The presence of these elements and the 5' open reading frame suggest that B. subtilis pyrB, like E. coli pyrBI, is regulated by an attenuation mechanism. ..
- Salmon A, Damaj I, Sekine S, Picciotto M, Marubio L, Changeux J. Modulation of morphine analgesia in alphaCGRP mutant mice. Neuroreport. 1999;10:849-54 pubmed..Paradoxically, morphine analgesia was reduced in mutant mice compared with controls in the tail flick test, but not in the hot plate test. Thus, alphaCGRP differentially modulates opiate pain pathways. ..
- Suyama Y. Nucleotide sequences of three tRNA genes encoded in Tetrahymena mitochondrial DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:3273-84 pubmed..All exhibit high G+C contents (about 50%); in contrast, the flanking regions are extremely A+T rich (about 80%). Several short coding frames can be deduced in these sequences, but their significance is not known. ..
- Reiber I, Mezõ I, Kalina A, Pálos G, Romics L, Csaszar A. Postprandial triglyceride levels in familial combined hyperlipidemia. The role of apolipoprotein E and lipoprotein lipase polymorphisms. J Nutr Biochem. 2003;14:394-400 pubmed..the 6 h postprandial triglyceride values were correlated with fasting triglyceride levels, which showed association with the apolipoprotein E4 allele. ..
- Leiro J, Siso M, Parama A, Ubeira F, Sanmartin M. DNA probes for detection of the fish microsporidians Microgemma caulleryi and Tetramicra brevifilum. Parasitology. 1999;119 ( Pt 3):267-72 pubmed..The probes developed in this study will greatly facilitate detection and identification of M. caulleryi and T. brevifilum in fish tissues, and may prove useful for identifying possible intermediate hosts used by these species. ..
- Madsen A, Josephsen J. Characterization of LlaCI, a new restriction-modification system from Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris W15. Biol Chem. 1998;379:443-9 pubmed..It shows 24% identity to the HindIII endonuclease. ..
- Webster T, Gibson B, Keng T, Biemann K, Schimmel P. Primary structures of both subunits of Escherichia coli glycyl-tRNA synthetase. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:10637-41 pubmed
- Volckaert G, Van De Voorde A, Fiers W. Nucleotide sequence of the simian virus 40 HindII + III restriction fragment A (second part of the T antigen gene). Eur J Biochem. 1980;106:169-77 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequence is 188 residues long and contains a Lys-Lys-Lys-Arg-Lys-stretch which may be involved in the DNA binding capacity of large-T. A presumptive phosphorylation site is also present. ..
- Garciá E, Gonzalez P, Castro M, Alvarez R, Reguero J, Batalla A, et al. Association between genetic variation in the Y chromosome and hypertension in myocardial infarction patients. Am J Med Genet A. 2003;122A:234-7 pubmed..However, the HindIII+ allele increased the risk of suffering an early episode of MI among hypertensives. ..
- Almazan F, Murguia J, Rodriguez J, de la Vega I, Vinuela E. A set of African swine fever virus tandem repeats shares similarities with SAR-like sequences. J Gen Virol. 1995;76 ( Pt 4):729-40 pubmed..These ASFV repeated sequences share similarities with chromosomal alpha satellite DNA, the scaffold-associated region and satellite III of Drosophila. Similar tandemly repeated sequences have not been described in other viruses. ..
- Torres Carrillo N, Torres Carrillo N, Martínez Bonilla G, Vazquez Del Mercado M, Palafox Sánchez C, Oregon Romero E, et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 C/G polymorphism in relation to plasma levels in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Med. 2009;9:223-8 pubmed publisher..97 ng/ml) and G/G (10.47 +/- 7.07 ng/ml) genotype carriers (P = 0.036). The PAI-1 HindIII polymorphism was not associated with RA susceptibility. However, the C/G genotype is associated with high PAI-1 plasma levels in RA patients. ..
- Esposito J, Knight J. Orthopoxvirus DNA: a comparison of restriction profiles and maps. Virology. 1985;143:230-51 pubmed..The DNAs of recent isolates from a gerbil and from a camel each mapped as unique African orthopoxvirus species and differed from variola virus. ..
- Hielm S, Björkroth J, Hyytiä E, Korkeala H. Ribotyping as an identification tool for Clostridium botulinum strains causing human botulism. Int J Food Microbiol. 1999;47:121-31 pubmed..These findings are in good agreement with taxonomical ribotyping studies with other bacterial genera, indicating that ribotyping is a highly suitable method for C. botulinum species identification. ..
- Raza S, Husain N, Bhatt A, Avneesh -. HindIII polymorphism in carrier detection of hemophilia A in India: a new primer design. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2007;13:432-4 pubmed..The frequency of positive allele for HindIII polymorphism in 67 families was 0.38 and heterozygosity in terms of informativity was 0.46. ..
- Capua I, Casaccia C, Calzetta G, Caporale V. Characterisation of Aujeszky's disease viruses isolated from domestic animals and from a wild boar (Sus scrofa) in Italy between 1972 and 1995. Vet Microbiol. 1997;57:143-9 pubmed
- Du J, Huang Q, Li S, Xiong G. [Association of Hind RFLP in lipoprotein lipase gene with type 2 diabetes]. Yi Chuan. 2007;29:929-33 pubmed..0363.840, P < 0.05). These data suggest that the Hind RFLP in the LPL gene is associated with T2DM risk in Chinese Han population in Hubei Province, and the H+ allele may serve as a genetic risk factor of T2DM. ..
- Ellis S, Morales M, Li J, Hopper A, Martin N. Isolation and characterization of the TRM1 locus, a gene essential for the N2,N2-dimethylguanosine modification of both mitochondrial and cytoplasmic tRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:9703-9 pubmed..This result suggests that the TRM1 locus is the structural gene for the tRNA modification enzyme and that both nuclear/cytoplasmic and mitochondrial forms of the methyltransferase are produced from the same gene. ..
- An H, Jin B. DNA exposure to buckminsterfullerene (C60): toward DNA stability, reactivity, and replication. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:6608-16 pubmed publisher..This preliminary study indicated that the application of fullerenols results in significant changes in the physical structures and biochemical functions of DNA molecules. ..
- Wang S, Shuman S. Vaccinia virus morphogenesis is blocked by temperature-sensitive mutations in the F10 gene, which encodes protein kinase 2. J Virol. 1995;69:6376-88 pubmed..These findings suggest that protein phosphorylation plays an essential role at an early stage of virion assembly. ..
- Steensma H, Holterman L, Dekker I, Van Sluis C, Wenzel T. Molecular cloning of the gene for the E1 alpha subunit of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur J Biochem. 1990;191:769-74 pubmed..Screening of the lambda gt11 library using the anti-E1 beta serum resulted in the reisolation of the RAP1 gene, which was located on chromosome XIV. ..
- Christ S, Silbiger R, Garg M, Franson S, Toth G. Quality of assurance considerations for use of the Fluorlmager SI and fragmeNT analysis software. Electrophoresis. 2000;21:874-88 pubmed..In addition, use of software templates for analysis and modifications in the staining procedure, which have resulted in decreased instrument associated variance, are discussed. ..
- Tartaglia J, Winslow J, Goebel S, Johnson G, Taylor J, Paoletti E. Nucleotide sequence analysis of a 10.5 kbp HindIII fragment of fowlpox virus: relatedness to the central portion of the vaccinia virus HindIII D region. J Gen Virol. 1990;71 ( Pt 7):1517-24 pubmed..Interestingly, these homologous ORFs do not occur in the same tandem arrangement in the FPV genome as they do in the VV genome. These results are discussed. ..
- Van Herreweghe J, Van De Voorde A, Fiers W. Nucleotide sequence of the Hind-I-proximal part of simian virus 40 HindII + III restriction fragment B (fifth part of the T antigen gene). Eur J Biochem. 1980;106:193-8 pubmed..65 (site of the information for the large-T start signal) to 0.69 (the first splicing boundary) codes for the entire large-T antigen. ..
- Ferreira C. Expression of ubiquitin, actin, and actin-like genes in African swine fever virus infected cells. Virus Res. 1996;44:11-21 pubmed..Finally, in the present study it has also been shown that ASFV codifies for actin-like genes. This is the first report of a virus encoding an actin-like gene. ..
- Sechi L, Spanu T, Sanguinetti M, Dupre I, Masucci L, Siddu A, et al. Molecular analysis of Klebsiella pneumoniae strains isolated in pediatric wards by ribotyping, pulsed field gel electrophoresis and antimicrobial susceptibilities. New Microbiol. 2001;24:35-45 pubmed..In our experience ribotyping revealed a higher power of differentiation with respect to PFGE and was of great help in the surveillance of the infection. ..
- Galimand M, Lambert T, Gerbaud G, Courvalin P. High-level aminoglycoside resistance in the beta-hemolytic group G Streptococcus isolate BM2721. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:3008-10 pubmed..The corresponding genes were found to be adjacent as the result of a recombination event between Tn4001 and Tn5405, two transposons originating in staphylococci. ..
- Taylor K, Scheuner M, Yang H, Wang Y, Haritunians T, Fischel Ghodsian N, et al. Lipoprotein lipase locus and progression of atherosclerosis in coronary-artery bypass grafts. Genet Med. 2004;6:481-6 pubmed..The LPL-HindIII 2/2 genotype is a marker for genetic variation in the 3'-end of LPL that acts as an independent risk factor for the progression of atherosclerosis in grafts examined in the Post-CABG Trial. ..
- Zwiefka A, Kohn H, Widger W. Transcription termination factor rho: the site of bicyclomycin inhibition in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1993;32:3564-70 pubmed..These cumulative findings are consistent with the notion that bicyclomycin expresses its activity by interfering with the polyC-dependent ATPase activity of rho. ..
- Thomas C, Meyer D, Wolff M, Himber C, Alioua M, Steinmetz A. Molecular characterization and spatial expression of the sunflower ABP1 gene. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;52:1025-36 pubmed..The possibility that a high ABP1 expression level correlates with a high cellular sensitivity to auxin is discussed. ..
- Svec P, Sedláček I, Pantucek R, Devriese L, Doskar J. Evaluation of ribotyping for characterization and identification of Enterococcus haemoperoxidus and Enterococcus moraviensis strains. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;203:23-7 pubmed..E. moraviensis formed four ribogroups using EcoRI and two ribogroups using HindIII restriction enzyme. E. haemoperoxidus gave six different patterns with EcoRI and five using the HindIII restriction enzyme. ..
- Crackower M, Heng H, Tsui L. Assignment of mouse fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) gene to the telomeric region of chromosome 13. Genomics. 1998;53:247-8 pubmed
- Hunter N, Foster J, Dickinson A, Hope J. Linkage of the gene for the scrapie-associated fibril protein (PrP) to the Sip gene in Cheviot sheep. Vet Rec. 1989;124:364-6 pubmed..Using these polymorphisms it is now possible to assign a Sip genotype to the sheep in the Cheviot flock. Preliminary results from Anglo-Nubian goats and a cow are also reported. ..
- Vickerman M, Heath D, Clewell D. Construction of recombination-deficient strains of Streptococcus gordonii by disruption of the recA gene. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6354-7 pubmed..The resulting PCR fragment was cloned into the suicide vector pAM6199 and introduced into strain Challis, giving rise to recombination-deficient strains in which the recA gene was specifically inactivated. ..
- Quale J, Landman D, Flores C, Ravishankar J. Comparison of automated ribotyping to pulsed-field gel electrophoresis for genetic fingerprinting of Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:4175-7 pubmed..HindIII ribotypes correlated well with PFGE. PvuII produced fewer bands and was less discriminatory. Automated ribotyping with HindIII is an accurate method for genetic fingerprinting of S. pneumoniae and can complement PFGE. ..