Genomes and Genes
cytochrome p 450 enzyme system
Summary: A superfamily of hundreds of closely related HEMEPROTEINS found throughout the phylogenetic spectrum, from animals, plants, fungi, to bacteria. They include numerous complex monooxygenases (MIXED FUNCTION OXYGENASES). In animals, these P-450 enzymes serve two major functions: (1) biosynthesis of steroids, fatty acids, and bile acids; (2) metabolism of endogenous and a wide variety of exogenous substrates, such as toxins and drugs (BIOTRANSFORMATION). They are classified, according to their sequence similarities rather than functions, into CYP gene families (>40% homology) and subfamilies (>59% homology). For example, enzymes from the CYP1, CYP2, and CYP3 gene families are responsible for most drug metabolism.
- Zhong W, Qian K, Xiong J, Ma K, Wang A, Zou Y. Curcumin alleviates lipopolysaccharide induced sepsis and liver failure by suppression of oxidative stress-related inflammation via PI3K/AKT and NF-?B related signaling. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;83:302-313 pubmed publisher..Strategies to inhibit inflammation and apoptosis signaling may provide alternatives to the current clinical approaches to improve oxidative responses of endotoxemia. ..
- Ansari R, Husain K, Rizvi S. Role of Transcription Factors in Steatohepatitis and Hypertension after Ethanol: The Epicenter of Metabolism. Biomolecules. 2016;6: pubmed publisher..In addition to these transcription factors, activator protein-1 may also be activated in hepatocytes due to its association with resolution of increased ROS. These transcription factors are central to alcohol-mediated hepatotoxicity. ..
- Xiong Y, Chen H, Lin P, Wang A, Wang L, Jin Y. ATF6 knockdown decreases apoptosis, arrests the S phase of the cell cycle, and increases steroid hormone production in mouse granulosa cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;312:C341-C353 pubmed publisher..The present study extends our understanding and provides new insights into the physiological significance of ATF6, a key signal transducer of ER stress, in ovarian granulosa cells. ..
- Liao W, Qi Y, Wang L, Dong X, Xu T, Ding C, et al. Recql5 protects against lipopolysaccharide/D-galactosamine-induced liver injury in mice. World J Gastroenterol. 2015;21:10375-84 pubmed publisher..Recql5 protects the liver against LPS/D-Gal-induced injury through suppression of hepatocyte apoptosis and oxidative stress and modulation of CYP450 expression. ..
- Hassan M, Ghobara M. Antifibrotic effect of meloxicam in rat liver: role of nuclear factor kappa B, proinflammatory cytokines, and oxidative stress. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2016;389:971-83 pubmed publisher..Abrogation of oxidative stress and modulation of liver-metabolizing enzymes (CYP2E1 and GST) were also involved. ..
- Echizen H. The First-in-Class Potassium-Competitive Acid Blocker, Vonoprazan Fumarate: Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Considerations. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016;55:409-18 pubmed publisher..Neither severe liver toxicity nor neuroendocrine tumor has been reported in patients receiving vonoprazan. ..
- Ryu B, Kim C, Oh H, Kim U, Kim J, Jung C, et al. Development of an alternative zebrafish model for drug-induced intestinal toxicity. J Appl Toxicol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zebrafish model is sufficiently worth developing as an intestinal toxicity model that can replace or compensate the rat model or Caco-2 cell model...
- Lee J, Kang M, Wang H, Naik G, Mobley J, Sonpavde G, et al. Endostatin inhibits androgen-independent prostate cancer growth by suppressing nuclear receptor-mediated oxidative stress. FASEB J. 2017;31:1608-1619 pubmed publisher..Kang, M., Wang, H., Naik, G., Mobley, J. A., Sonpavde, G., Garvey, W. T., Darley-Usmar, V. M., Ponnazhagan, S. Endostatin inhibits androgen-independent prostate cancer growth by suppressing nuclear receptor-mediated oxidative stress. ..
- Kojima Yuasa A, Goto M, Yoshikawa E, Morita Y, Sekiguchi H, Sutoh K, et al. Protective Effects of Hydrolyzed Nucleoproteins from Salmon Milt against Ethanol-Induced Liver Injury in Rats. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DNSM treatment represents a novel tool for the prevention of alcohol-induced liver injury. ..
- Song B, Akbar M, Jo I, Hardwick J, Abdelmegeed M. Translational Implications of the Alcohol-Metabolizing Enzymes, Including Cytochrome P450-2E1, in Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic Liver Disease. Adv Pharmacol. 2015;74:303-72 pubmed publisher..We also discuss translational research opportunities with natural and/or synthetic antioxidants, which can prevent or delay the onset of inflammation and liver disease. ..
- Pan Y, Long X, Yi R, Zhao X. Polyphenols in Liubao Tea Can Prevent CCl?-Induced Hepatic Damage in Mice through Its Antioxidant Capacities. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Thus, PLT imparts preventive effects against CCl?-induced liver injury, which is similar to silymarin. ..
- Li L, Zhou Y, Li Y, Wang L, Arai H, Xu Y. In vitro and in vivo antioxidative and hepatoprotective activity of aqueous extract of Cortex Dictamni. World J Gastroenterol. 2017;23:2912-2927 pubmed publisher..The hepatoprotective activity of CDAE may be attributable to its antioxidant activity, which may involve Keap1-Nrf2-mediated antioxidant regulation. ..
- Zhou Y, Zhou Z, Batistel F, Martínez Cortés I, Pate R, Luchini D, et al. Methionine and choline supply alter transmethylation, transsulfuration, and cytidine 5'-diphosphocholine pathways to different extents in isolated primary liver cells from dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:11384-11395 pubmed publisher..The relevance of these data in vivo merit further study. ..
- He H, Mennone A, Boyer J, Cai S. Combination of retinoic acid and ursodeoxycholic acid attenuates liver injury in bile duct-ligated rats and human hepatic cells. Hepatology. 2011;53:548-57 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that the addition of RA to UDCA reduces the bile salt pool size and liver fibrosis and might be an effective supplemental therapy with UDCA for cholestatic diseases. ..
- Ip B, Liu C, Lichtenstein A, von Lintig J, Wang X. Lycopene and apo-10'-lycopenoic acid have differential mechanisms of protection against hepatic steatosis in Î²-carotene-9',10'-oxygenase knockout male mice. J Nutr. 2015;145:268-76 pubmed publisher..Sex disparity of BCO2-KO mice was observed in the outcomes of HSFD-induced liver steatosis and plasma lipids. ..
- Hammond E, Stewart B, Peek J, Shelling A, Cree L. Assessing embryo quality by combining non-invasive markers: early time-lapse parameters reflect gene expression in associated cumulus cells. Hum Reprod. 2015;30:1850-60 pubmed publisher..J.C.P. has a 0.5% shareholding in Fertility Associates. All other authors of this manuscript have nothing to declare and no conflict of interest that could be perceived as prejudicing the impartiality of the research reported. ..
- Hoopes S, Gruzdev A, Edin M, Graves J, Bradbury J, Flake G, et al. Generation and characterization of epoxide hydrolase 3 (EPHX3)-deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175348 pubmed publisher..We conclude that genetic disruption of Ephx3 does not result in an overt phenotype and has no significant effects on the metabolism of EETs or EpOMEs in vivo. ..
- Yamaza T, Alatas F, Yuniartha R, Yamaza H, Fujiyoshi J, Yanagi Y, et al. In vivo hepatogenic capacity and therapeutic potential of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth in liver fibrosis in mice. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2015;6:171 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that transplanted SHED improve hepatic dysfunction and directly transform into hepatocytes without cell fusion in CCl4-treated mice, suggesting that SHED may provide a feasible cell source for liver regeneration. ..