waste disposal facilities
Summary: Sites that receive and store WASTE PRODUCTS. Some facilities also sort, process, and recycle specific waste products.
- Lombardi L, Nocita C, Bettazzi E, Fibbi D, Carnevale E. Environmental comparison of alternative treatments for sewage sludge: An Italian case study. Waste Manag. 2017;69:365-376 pubmed publisher..Similarly, the quality of the wet oxidation process residues plays an important role in defining the impact of this treatment. ..
- He R, Ma R, Yao X, Wei X. Response of methanotrophic activity to extracellular polymeric substance production and its influencing factors. Waste Manag. 2017;69:289-297 pubmed publisher..In practice, O2-limited condition such as the O2 concentration of 10% might be a good way to control EPS production and enhance CH4 oxidation to mitigate CH4 emission from landfills. ..
- Ben Salem Z, Laffray X, Al Ashoor A, Ayadi H, Aleya L. Metals and metalloid bioconcentrations in the tissues of Typha latifolia grown in the four interconnected ponds of a domestic landfill site. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:56-68 pubmed publisher..While T. latifolia removes trace elements efficiently from landfill leachates, attention should also be paid to the negative effects of these elements on plant growth. ..
- Li G, Chen J, Yan W, Sang N. A comparison of the toxicity of landfill leachate exposure at the seed soaking and germination stages on Zea mays L. (maize). J Environ Sci (China). 2017;55:206-213 pubmed publisher..In general, these results are helpful in understanding the phytotoxicity of leachate, which provides additional reference data for risk assessment and management of leachate. ..
- Gong X, Yang X, Zheng H, Wu Z. Elimination of ethanethiol released from municipal wastes by absorption sequencing electrochemical oxidation. Environ Technol. 2017;38:1708-1715 pubmed publisher..The reaction mechanism is proposed, and the operating condition is also estimated with a kinetic model. This hybrid process could be a promising way to remove thiol compounds from municipal waste landfill gases. ..
- Povoa P, Oehmen A, Inocêncio P, Matos J, Frazão A. Modelling energy costs for different operational strategies of a large water resource recovery facility. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2139-2148 pubmed publisher..Specific energy cost allows the identification of time periods with potential for linking WRRF with the electric grid to optimize the treatment costs, satisfying operational goals. ..
- Vu H, Ng K, Richter A. Optimization of first order decay gas generation model parameters for landfills located in cold semi-arid climates. Waste Manag. 2017;69:315-324 pubmed publisher..The use of site specific data, provided enough information is available regarding waste mass and composition, can greatly help to improve the accuracy of these first order decay models. ..
- Schulte M, Jochmann M, Gehrke T, Thom A, Ricken T, Denecke M, et al. Characterization of methane oxidation in a simulated landfill cover system by comparing molecular and stable isotope mass balances. Waste Manag. 2017;69:281-288 pubmed publisher..It was shown that methane consumption and temperature increase, as a cause of high microbial activity, correlated very well. ..
- Kogbara R, Dumkhana B, Ayotamuno J, Okparanma R. Recycling stabilised/solidified drill cuttings for forage production in acidic soils. Chemosphere. 2017;184:652-663 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that recycling S/S treated drill cuttings for forage production may be a potential end use of the treated waste. ..
- Baawain M, Al Mamun A, Omidvarborna H, Al Jabri A. Assessment of hydrogen sulfide emission from a sewage treatment plant using AERMOD. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:263 pubmed publisher..The study revealed an adverse environmental impact from the STPs on urban air quality, which may pose a threat to the public health. ..
- Nizami A, Rehan M, Waqas M, Naqvi M, Ouda O, Shahzad K, et al. Waste biorefineries: Enabling circular economies in developing countries. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:1101-1117 pubmed publisher..The challenges in route to successful implementation of biorefinery concept in the developing countries are also presented using life cycle assessment (LCA) studies. ..
- Manamperuma L, Wei L, Ratnaweera H. Multi-parameter based coagulant dosing control. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2157-2162 pubmed publisher..The considerable savings reduce sludge production, leading to further cost saving on sludge treatment. This paper presents the method, function and experiences of the full-scale implementation of the system in different WWTPs. ..
- Ahoughalandari B, Cabral A. Landfill gas distribution at the base of passive methane oxidation biosystems: Transient state analysis of several configurations. Waste Manag. 2017;69:298-314 pubmed publisher..They also stress the importance of incorporating an appropriate design criterion in the selection of the methane oxidation layer materials and the geometrical form of passive biosystems. ..
- Wu X, Yue B, Huang Q, Wang Q, Lin Y, Zhang W, et al. Spatio-temporal variation of landfill gas in pilot-scale semi-aerobic and anaerobic landfills over 5years. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:288-297 pubmed publisher..This was related to the aerobic reaction of landfill waste around the perforated pipe in the semi-aerobic landfill, which inhibited effective landfill gas generation. ..
- Bocharnikova E, Matichenkov V, Jiang J, Yuejin C. Si-based technologies for reduction of the pollutant leaching from landfills and mine tails. Environ Technol. 2017;38:1606-1609 pubmed publisher..Si-treated local solid slags could be used for creating the biogeochemical barriers on the pollutant streams from landfills or mine tailings sites. ..
- Adamcová D, Radziemska M, Ridošková A, Bartoň S, Pelcová P, Elbl J, et al. Environmental assessment of the effects of a municipal landfill on the content and distribution of heavy metals in Tanacetum vulgare L. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1011-1018 pubmed publisher..Next, EC values were then calculated, with the highest noted for Cd. Cd, as well as Cr, Ni and Zn are accumulated mostly in the leaves, whereas Co, Cu, Fe, Hg, Mn and Pb are accumulated mainly in the roots of T. vulgare. ..
- Willis J, Al Omari A, Bastian R, Brower B, Debarbadillo C, Murthy S, et al. A greenhouse gas source of surprising significance: anthropogenic CO2 emissions from use of methanol in sewage treatment. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:1997-2012 pubmed publisher..Finally, many alternatives to CH3OH use exist and are discussed. ..
- Woodman N, Rees White T, Beaven R, Stringfellow A, Barker J. Doublet tracer tests to determine the contaminant flushing properties of a municipal solid waste landfill. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:38-50 pubmed publisher..This implies that diffusional exchanges are likely to be very significant for engineering of whole-site contaminant flushing and possibly rate-limiting. ..
- Colon J, Ponsá S, Alvarez C, Vinot M, Lafuente F, Gabriel D, et al. Analysis of MSW full-scale facilities based on anaerobic digestion and/or composting using respiration indices as performance indicators. Bioresour Technol. 2017;236:87-96 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the usefulness of respirometric balances to assess the performance of MBT full-scale plants. ..