Summary: The extraction and recovery of usable or valuable material from scrap or other discarded materials. (from McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 6th ed.)
- Kogbara R, Dumkhana B, Ayotamuno J, Okparanma R. Recycling stabilised/solidified drill cuttings for forage production in acidic soils. Chemosphere. 2017;184:652-663 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that recycling S/S treated drill cuttings for forage production may be a potential end use of the treated waste.
- Re Depaolini A, Bianchi G, Fornai D, Cardelli A, Badalassi M, Cardelli C, et al. Physical and chemical characterization of representative samples of recycled rubber from end-of-life tires. Chemosphere. 2017;184:1320-1326 pubmed publisher..H-Bay values of all the samples were lower than the REACH limits and old tires had higher aromatic content than recent ones, possibly due to the replacement of aromatic oils in tire production. ..
- Shrivastava P, Naoghare P, Gandhi D, Devi S, Krishnamurthi K, Bafana A, et al. Application of cell-based assays for toxicity characterization of complex wastewater matrices: Possible applications in wastewater recycle and reuse. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;142:555-566 pubmed publisher..Herein, we propose cell-based toxicity assays to evaluate the efficacies of wastewater treatment and recycling processes.
- Zhong W, Bobbink F, Fei Z, Dyson P. Polyimidazolium Salts: Robust Catalysts for the Cycloaddition of Carbon Dioxide into Carbonates in Solvent-Free Conditions. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:2728-2735 pubmed publisher..The polymer catalysts exhibit long-term stability and may be recycled and reused at least 10?times. ..
- Rodríguez Liébana J, ElGouzi S, Peña A. Laboratory persistence in soil of thiacloprid, pendimethalin and fenarimol incubated with treated wastewater and dissolved organic matter solutions. Contribution of soil biota. Chemosphere. 2017;181:508-517 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, high DOC concentrations (300 mg L-1) had more influence on the activity of microorganisms at longer times, and showed a trend to enhance the disappearance of the moderately persistent PDM. ..
- Bindschedler S, Vu Bouquet T, Job D, Joseph E, Junier P. Fungal Biorecovery of Gold From E-waste. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2017;99:53-81 pubmed publisher..Overall, the diversity of mechanisms of gold recycling using fungi combined with their filamentous lifestyle, which allows them to thrive in heterogeneous and solid ..
- Coutinho de Paula E, Gomes J, Amaral M. Recycling of end-of-life reverse osmosis membranes by oxidative treatment: a technical evaluation. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:605-622 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to evaluate the technical feasibility of recycling by chemical oxidation of end-of-life RO membranes for applications in other separation processes with ..
- Kanakaraju D, Ravichandar S, Lim Y. Combined effects of adsorption and photocatalysis by hybrid TiO2/ZnO-calcium alginate beads for the removal of copper. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;55:214-223 pubmed publisher..dioxide (TiO2) and zinc oxide (ZnO) in the suspension form during treatment makes the recovering and recycling of photocatalysts difficult...
- Zhou S, Fu J, He H, Fu J, Tang Q, Dong M, et al. Spatial distribution and implications to sources of halogenated flame retardants in riverine sediments of Taizhou, an intense e-waste recycling area in eastern China. Chemosphere. 2017;184:1202-1208 pubmed publisher..flame retardants were investigated in the riverine surface sediments from Taizhou, an intensive e-waste recycling region in China...
- Carré E, Pérot J, Jauzein V, Lin L, Lopez Ferber M. Estimation of water quality by UV/Vis spectrometry in the framework of treated wastewater reuse. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:633-641 pubmed publisher..The input of artificial data significantly enhances the robustness of the models. The sensitivity of the UV/Vis spectrometry monitoring system developed is compatible with quality requirements of reclaimed water production processes. ..
- Wei Y, Zhao Y, Fan Y, Lu Q, Li M, Wei Q, et al. Impact of phosphate-solubilizing bacteria inoculation methods on phosphorus transformation and long-term utilization in composting. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:134-141 pubmed publisher..Besides, we suggested three methods to improve phosphorus transformation and long-term utilization efficiency in composts based on biological fixation of phosphates by humic substance and phosphate-accumulating organisms. ..
- Koga H, Namba N, Takahashi T, Nogi M, Nishina Y. Renewable Wood Pulp Paper Reactor with Hierarchical Micro/Nanopores for Continuous-Flow Nanocatalysis. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:2560-2565 pubmed publisher..However, there has been limited progress in porous structure design and recycling systems for metal nanoparticle-anchored flow reactors to create more efficient and sustainable catalytic ..
- Carré E, Beigbeder J, Jauzein V, Junqua G, Lopez Ferber M. Life cycle assessment case study: Tertiary treatment process options for wastewater reuse. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2017;13:1113-1121 pubmed publisher..This study was conducted on an industrial pilot; it may thus be representative of industrial facilities implemented to treat higher water flows. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2017;13:1113-1121. © 2017 SETAC. ..
- Yang W, He C, Wang X, Zhang Y, Cheng Z, Dai B, et al. Disolved organic matter (DOM) removal from bio-treated coking wastewate using a new polymeric adsorbent modified with dimethylamino groups. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:82-87 pubmed publisher..All the above results demonstrated that A-HPA adsoption could serve as a good choice for the advanced treatment of bio-treated sewage effluent. ..
- Guzzonato A, Puype F, Harrad S. Evidence of bad recycling practices: BFRs in children's toys and food-contact articles. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2017;19:956-963 pubmed publisher..in an even wider range of such materials (including children's toys and food contact articles) as a result of recycling practices that mix BFR-containing waste plastics with "virgin" materials...
- Witek J, Kusiorowski R. Neutralization of cement-asbestos waste by melting in an arc-resistance furnace. Waste Manag. 2017;69:336-345 pubmed publisher..The research results indicate that the melting process of asbestos wastes is a potential and interesting method of neutralizing hazardous asbestos waste, which allows for further treatment and material recycling.
- Mäkelä M, Geladi P. Hyperspectral Imaging to Determine the Properties and Homogeneity of Renewable Carbon Materials. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:2751-2757 pubmed publisher..As hyperspectral imaging within the NIR region is non-destructive and requires very little sample preparation, it can be used for controlling the quality of renewable carbon materials destined for a wide range of different applications. ..
- Alsulaili A, Hamoda M, Al Jarallah R, Alrukaibi D. Treatment and potential reuse of greywater from schools: a pilot study. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2119-2129 pubmed publisher..A 5 m3/d pilot plant was developed for schools having 500 students and detailed cost-benefit analysis indicated a net saving value, a surplus of $1,600 per year, and pay back after 6 years and 11 months. ..
- Massos A, Turner A. Cadmium, lead and bromine in beached microplastics. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:139-145 pubmed publisher..fire suppressant synergists, suggests the presence of a variety of brominated flame retardants arising from the recycling of plastics originally used in casings for heat-generating electrical equipment...
- Christou A, Agüera A, Bayona J, Cytryn E, Fotopoulos V, Lambropoulou D, et al. The potential implications of reclaimed wastewater reuse for irrigation on the agricultural environment: The knowns and unknowns of the fate of antibiotics and antibiotic resistant bacteria and resistance genes - A review. Water Res. 2017;123:448-467 pubmed publisher..These are key issues in a world where the increasing water scarcity and the continuous appeal of circular economy demand answers for a long-term safe use of RWW for irrigation. ..
- Thiagamani S, Nagarajan R, Jawaid M, Anumakonda V, Siengchin S. Utilization of chemically treated municipal solid waste (spent coffee bean powder) as reinforcement in cellulose matrix for packaging applications. Waste Manag. 2017;69:445-454 pubmed publisher..Based on the improved tensile properties and photo resistivity, the cellulose/SCBP composite films with alkali treated SCBP may be considered for packaging and wrapping of flowers and vegetables. ..
- Suleiman H, Rorat A, Grobelak A, Grosser A, Milczarek M, Płytycz B, et al. Determination of the performance of vermicomposting process applied to sewage sludge by monitoring of the compost quality and immune responses in three earthworm species: Eisenia fetida, Eisenia andrei and Dendrobaena veneta. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:103-112 pubmed publisher..worms exhibited the highest ability to accumulate several heavy metals. Vermicompost obtained after 45days was acceptable according to agronomic parameters and to compost quality norms in France and Poland. ..
- Yang X, Jin G, Gong Z, Shen H, Bai F, Zhao Z. Recycling microbial lipid production wastes to cultivate oleaginous yeasts. Bioresour Technol. 2015;175:91-6 pubmed publisher..production by the oleaginous yeast Rhodosporidium toruloides was used as a model system to demonstrate resources recycling. It was found that the hydrolysates of spent cell mass were good media to support cell growth of various ..
- Alencar B, Reis A, de Souza R, Morais M, Menezes R, Dutra E. Recycling the liquid fraction of alkaline hydrogen peroxide in the pretreatment of corn stover. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:928-935 pubmed publisherThe aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of recycling the liquid fraction of pretreatment with alkaline hydrogen peroxide (AHP) on the hydrolysis of corn stover. Corn stover was pretreated in the traditional condition with 7...
- Man Y, Chow K, Xing G, Chan J, Wu S, Wong M. A pilot study on health risk assessment based on body loadings of PCBs of lactating mothers at Taizhou, China, the world's major site for recycling transformers. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:364-371 pubmed publisher..A more intensive epidemiological study on the potential health effects of e-waste recycling activities affecting both workers and residents seems to be of top priority, based on findings of this pilot ..
- Guo X, Cao X, Huang G, Tian Q, Sun H. Recovery of lithium from the effluent obtained in the process of spent lithium-ion batteries recycling. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:84-89 pubmed publisher..lithium recovery as lithium ion sieve from the effluent obtained in the process of spent lithium-ion batteries recycling is developed...
- Chang H, Liu T, He Q, Li D, Crittenden J, Liu B. Removal of calcium and magnesium ions from shale gas flowback water by chemically activated zeolite. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:575-583 pubmed publisher..Internal recycling of flowback water for future hydraulic fracturing is currently the most effective, and it is necessary to ..
- Hossain M, Wu Z, Poon C. Comparative environmental evaluation of construction waste management through different waste sorting systems in Hong Kong. Waste Manag. 2017;69:325-335 pubmed publisher..for an on-site sorting system due to the higher recycling potential...
- Henriksen M, Ravnsbaek J, Bjerring M, Vosegaard T, Daasbjerg K, Hinge M. Epoxy Matrices Modified by Green Additives for Recyclable Materials. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:2936-2944 pubmed publisher..Thus, additive formulation and fractionation based on green chemistry principles have been demonstrated, and a recyclable epoxy matrix has been developed. ..
- Ahmad T, Ahmad K, Alam M. Sludge quantification at water treatment plant and its management scenario. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:453 pubmed publisher..An overview of the sustainable management scenario involving beneficial reuses of the sludge has also been presented. ..
- Zhang C, Xiao Y, Ma Y, Li B, Liu Z, Lu C, et al. Algae biomass as a precursor for synthesis of nitrogen-and sulfur-co-doped carbon dots: A better probe in Arabidopsis guard cells and root tissues. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;174:315-322 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the potential application of CDs for bioimaging in plant cells and demonstrates the significance of investigating the reuse of algal biomass. ..
- Chen H, Shen J. A degradation-based sorting method for lithium-ion battery reuse. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185922 pubmed publisher..where millions of people are dependent on batteries to provide them with convenient and portable energy, battery recycling is of the utmost importance...
- Fődi T, Didaskalou C, Kupai J, Balogh G, Huszthy P, Székely G. Nanofiltration-Enabled In?Situ Solvent and Reagent Recycle for Sustainable Continuous-Flow Synthesis. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:3435-3444 pubmed publisher..In this work, a nanofiltration unit was coupled to a continuous-flow rector for in?situ solvent and reagent recycling. The nanofiltration unit is straightforward to implement and simple to control during continuous operation...
- Alexandrou L, Meehan B, Morrison P, Jones O. A New Method for the Fast Analysis of Trihalomethanes in Tap and Recycled Waters Using Headspace Gas Chromatography with Micro-Electron Capture Detection. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..2 µg/L and lowest 22.9 µg/L. For recycled water, samples taken directly from treatment plants held significantly higher concentrations (153.2 µg/L TTHM) compared to samples from final use locations (4.9-9.3 µg/L). ..
- Campos M, Costa L, Nisti M, Mazzilli B. Phosphogypsum recycling in the building materials industry: assessment of the radon exhalation rate. J Environ Radioact. 2017;172:232-236 pubmed publisher..So, it can be concluded that the recycling of phosphogypsum as building material is a safe practice, since no additional health risk is expected from the ..
- Kasmi M, Hamdi M, Trabelsi I. Processed milk waste recycling via thermal pretreatment and lactic acid bacteria fermentation. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:13604-13613 pubmed publisher..At the end of fermentation, mediums were found exhausted from several valuable components. Industrial scale implementation of the proposed process for the recycling of industrial MWs is described and discussed.