biological oxygen demand analysis
Summary: Testing for the amount of biodegradable organic material in a water sample by measuring the quantity of oxygen consumed by biodegradation of those materials over a specific time period.
- Rusten B, Rathnaweera S, Rismyhr E, Sahu A, Ntiako J. Rotating belt sieves for primary treatment, chemically enhanced primary treatment and secondary solids separation. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2598-2606 pubmed publisher..Using coagulation and flocculation ahead of the RBS, separation of biofilm solids was successful. Removal efficiencies of 90% TSS, 83% total P and 84% total COD were achieved with a 90 microns belt at a sieve rate of 41 m³/m²-h. ..
- Wei W, Zhou X, Xie G, Duan H, Wang Q. A novel free ammonia based pretreatment technology to enhance anaerobic methane production from primary sludge. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2245-2252 pubmed publisher..Economic analysis and environmental evaluation demonstrated that FA pretreatment technology was environmentally friendly and economically favorable. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2245-2252. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Fernandes A, Labiadh L, Ciríaco L, Pacheco M, Gadri A, Ammar S, et al. Electro-Fenton oxidation of reverse osmosis concentrate from sanitary landfill leachate: Evaluation of operational parameters. Chemosphere. 2017;184:1223-1229 pubmed publisher..For the highest current intensity applied, a COD removal of 16.7 g L-1 was achieved after 8-h experiments. ..
- Achieng A, Raburu P, Kipkorir E, Ngodhe S, Obiero K, Ani Sabwa J. Assessment of water quality using multivariate techniques in River Sosiani, Kenya. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:280 pubmed publisher..Multiple pollution effects, changing environment, and intrinsic characteristics of aquatic ecosystems generate complex data which are better assessed with multivariate techniques. ..
- Miller M, Elliott M, DeArmond J, Kinyua M, Wett B, Murthy S, et al. Controlling the COD removal of an A-stage pilot study with instrumentation and automatic process control. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2669-2679 pubmed publisher..MLSS-based solids retention time (SRT) control, where MLSS was used as a surrogate for SRT, did not significantly reduce the effluent C/N variability but it was able to reduce COD removal variation in the A-stage by 90%. ..
- Reis V, Garrido N, Vianna J, Sousa A, Alves J, Marques M. Energy cost of isolated resistance exercises across low- to high-intensities. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181311 pubmed publisher..Energy cost rose past 20 kcal?min-1 at 80% 1-RM in leg exercise. In addition, at 80% 1-RM, it was found that upper body exercises are less anaerobic than lower-body exercises. ..
- Selvakumar P, Sivashanmugam P. Thermo-chemo-sonic pre-digestion of waste activated sludge for yeast cultivation to extract lipids for biodiesel production. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:90-98 pubmed publisher..6%) and oleic acid (38.7%) which are more suitable for biofuel production. Thus, these results strongly motivate the use of pre-digested WAS as an efficient and economical substrate for biodiesel production. ..
- Long X, Pan Q, Wang C, Wang H, Li H, Li X. Microbial fuel cell-photoelectrocatalytic cell combined system for the removal of azo dye wastewater. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:182-191 pubmed publisher..Besides, cyclic voltammograms illustrated intermediate products degradation in this system. Hence, the system achieved marked deep decolorization and rapid toxic intermediate products degradation of high concentration azo dyes. ..
- Pan J, Qi S, Sun Y, Jiang Y, Zhao N, Huang L, et al. Nitrogen removal and nitrogen functional gene abundances in three subsurface wastewater infiltration systems under different modes of aeration and influent C/N ratios. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:1162-1167 pubmed publisher..1%). The results suggested that intermittent aeration was a reliable option to achieve high TN removal in SWISs, especially under high influent C/N ratio. ..
- Ilyas H, Masih I. The performance of the intensified constructed wetlands for organic matter and nitrogen removal: A review. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:372-383 pubmed publisher..Statistical analysis shows that DO, organic loading rate and specific surface area requirement are the most significant factors that influence the performance of intensified CWs. ..
- Pálfy T, Gerodolle M, Gourdon R, Meyer D, Troesch S, Molle P. Performance assessment of a vertical flow constructed wetland treating unsettled combined sewer overflow. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2586-2597 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, sludge was analysed for quality and a sludge depth map was created. The map, and calculating the changes in sludge volume, helped to understand solid accumulation dynamics. ..
- Ines B, Imed M, Frikha D, Mohamed C, Adele M. Reclaimed municipal wastewater for forage production. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:1784-1793 pubmed publisher..In this respect, TWW can be used as a valid alternative to freshwater for irrigation of fodder species. ..
- Kong Q, He X, Feng Y, Miao M, Wang Q, Du Y, et al. Pollutant removal and microorganism evolution of activated sludge under ofloxacin selection pressure. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:849-856 pubmed publisher..05). The read number of Rhodocyclaceae, a phosphorus-accumulating bacterium, increased. Other functional microbes such as Nitrospirales (nitrite oxidizer) and Planctomyces (anammox) sharply decreased under OFL pressure (p<0.05). ..
- Alsulaili A, Hamoda M, Al Jarallah R, Alrukaibi D. Treatment and potential reuse of greywater from schools: a pilot study. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2119-2129 pubmed publisher..A 5 m3/d pilot plant was developed for schools having 500 students and detailed cost-benefit analysis indicated a net saving value, a surplus of $1,600 per year, and pay back after 6 years and 11 months. ..
- Sharmila V, Dhanalakshmi P, Rajesh Banu J, Kavitha S, Gunasekaran M. Effect of deflocculation on photo induced thin layer titanium dioxide disintegration of dairy waste activated sludge for cost and energy efficient methane production. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:776-784 pubmed publisher..6mL/gVS) than the flocculated sludge (146.8mL/gVS). Moreover, the proposed method (Net cost for control - Net cost for deflocculation) saves sludge management cost of about $132 with 53.8% of suspended solids (SS) reduction. ..
- Jiang Y, Sun Y, Pan J, Qi S, Chen Q, Tong D. Nitrogen removal and N2O emission in subsurface wastewater infiltration systems with/without intermittent aeration under different organic loading rates. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:8-14 pubmed publisher..5g BOD/(m2d). Intermittent aeration is a sensible strategy to achieve high OLR, low N2O emission, satisfactory organic matter and nitrogen removal performance for SWISs. ..
- Li J, Sun S, Yan P, Fang L, Yu Y, Xiang Y, et al. Microbial communities in the functional areas of a biofilm reactor with anaerobic-aerobic process for oily wastewater treatment. Bioresour Technol. 2017;238:7-15 pubmed publisher..The deviations between predicted values and actual COD and TN removal were less than 5% in the optimal prediction model. ..
- Aparicio J, Benimeli C, Almeida C, Polti M, Colin V. Integral use of sugarcane vinasse for biomass production of actinobacteria: Potential application in soil remediation. Chemosphere. 2017;181:478-484 pubmed publisher..These results represent the first integral approach to address a problematic of multiple contaminations, concerning pesticides, heavy metals and a regionally important effluent like vinasse. ..
- Chen Y, Lin J, Chen Z. Remediation of water contaminated with diesel oil using a coupled process: Biological degradation followed by heterogeneous Fenton-like oxidation. Chemosphere. 2017;183:286-293 pubmed publisher..The results points towards the potential of Fenton-like oxidation as a short post-treatment after a biological process for the treatment of organic pollutants in wastewater. ..
- Jucherski A, Nastawny M, Walczowski A, Jóźwiakowski K, Gajewska M. Assessment of the technological reliability of a hybrid constructed wetland for wastewater treatment in a mountain eco-tourist farm in Poland. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2649-2658 pubmed publisher..From the ecological perspective, the facility presented in the study has proven to be an effective tool for protecting local aquifer areas. ..
- Bardi A, Yuan Q, Siracusa G, Chicca I, Islam M, Spennati F, et al. Effect of cellulose as co-substrate on old landfill leachate treatment using white-rot fungi. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:1067-1076 pubmed publisher..An additional glucose dosage was provided in both reactors, leading to significant performance increases. The highest COD and sCOD removals were i) 63% and 53% in Rg and ii) 54% and 51% in Rc. ..
- Revera M, Salvi P, Faini A, Giuliano A, Gregorini F, Bilo G, et al. Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System Is Not Involved in the Arterial Stiffening Induced by Acute and Prolonged Exposure to High Altitude. Hypertension. 2017;70:75-84 pubmed publisher..Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system does not seem to play any significant role in these hemodynamic changes. URL: https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/. Unique identifier: 2008-000540-14. ..
- Xu P, Gao F, He J, Ren X, Xi W. Modelling and optimization of land use/land cover change in a developing urban catchment. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2527-2537 pubmed publisher..The assessment result of optimal planning of land use showed that annual rainfall control of land use for an optimal planning scenario with LID technology was 65%, and SS pollutant load reduction efficiency 65.6%. ..
- Cheng B, Wang J, Liu W, Cui Z, Bi F, Jia H, et al. Membrane fouling reduction in a cost-effective integrated system of microbial fuel cell and membrane bioreactor. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:653-661 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that EMBR, as a promising wastewater treatment technology, improved effluent quality and reduced energy consumption. ..
- Svartz G, Papa M, Gosatti M, Jordán M, Soldati A, Samter P, et al. Monitoring the ecotoxicity of ?-Al2O3 and Ni/?-Al2O3 nanomaterials by means of a battery of bioassays. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;144:200-207 pubmed publisher..These results evidence the vulnerability of wildlife to xenobiotics and the need to develop specific standardized ecotoxicity tests in order to help environmental sustainability and natural species conservation. ..
- Carré E, Pérot J, Jauzein V, Lin L, Lopez Ferber M. Estimation of water quality by UV/Vis spectrometry in the framework of treated wastewater reuse. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:633-641 pubmed publisher..The input of artificial data significantly enhances the robustness of the models. The sensitivity of the UV/Vis spectrometry monitoring system developed is compatible with quality requirements of reclaimed water production processes. ..
- Shrivastava P, Naoghare P, Gandhi D, Devi S, Krishnamurthi K, Bafana A, et al. Application of cell-based assays for toxicity characterization of complex wastewater matrices: Possible applications in wastewater recycle and reuse. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;142:555-566 pubmed publisher..Herein, we propose cell-based toxicity assays to evaluate the efficacies of wastewater treatment and recycling processes. ..
- Xin Y, Sun B, Zhu X, Yan Z, Zhao X, Sun X. Resourceful treatment of alcohol distillery wastewater by pulsed discharge. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:175-181 pubmed publisher..Far away from discharge channel, the neutral particles with strong oxidizing were more important. This work can be a good guidance for both treatment of refractory wastewater and mechanism of hydrogen production by plasma reforming. ..
- Jiang L, Garrido Baserba M, Nolasco D, Al Omari A, DeClippeleir H, Murthy S, et al. Modelling oxygen transfer using dynamic alpha factors. Water Res. 2017;124:139-148 pubmed publisher..For the cases presented herein, the model prediction of airflow improved by 20-35% when dynamic ? is used. The proposed model offers a quantitative tool for the prediction of energy demand and for minimizing aeration design uncertainty. ..
- Yinanç A. Two different purification systems at Istanbul-Tuzla and Adana-Kozan, their characterizations. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2607-2614 pubmed publisher..Similarly, in the canal exit at K?zan, BOD5 decreased by 40-55%, COD by 30-50%, SS by 25-45% and T-N by 5-40%. ..
- Erabee I, Ahsan A, Jose B, Arunkumar T, Sathyamurthy R, Idrus S, et al. Effects of electric potential, NaCl, pH and distance between electrodes on efficiency of electrolysis in landfill leachate treatment. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2017;52:735-741 pubmed publisher..g., organic, inorganic and heavy metals) removal from the landfill leachate. ..
- Yuan L, Zhi W, Liu Y, Karyala S, Vikesland P, Chen X, et al. Lead toxicity to the performance, viability, and community composition of activated sludge microorganisms. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:824-30 pubmed
- Wei W, Zhou X, Wang D, Sun J, Wang Q. Free ammonia pre-treatment of secondary sludge significantly increases anaerobic methane production. Water Res. 2017;118:12-19 pubmed publisher..e. anaerobic digestion liquor) to enhance methane production from the WWTPs, it will set an example for the paradigm shift of the WWTPs from 'linear economy' to 'circular economy'. ..
- Xiao B, Luo M, Wang X, Li Z, Chen H, Liu J, et al. Electricity production and sludge reduction by integrating microbial fuel cells in anoxic-oxic process. Waste Manag. 2017;69:346-352 pubmed publisher..The experimental results indicated that the MFC constructed in A/O system improves wastewater treatment and the MFCs-A/O system can produce electricity while reducing sludge production and increasing wastewater treatment efficiency. ..