Summary: Mosquitoes (members of the family CULICIDAE) that transmit pathogens or their intermediate forms from one host to another.
- Jiggins F. The spread of Wolbachia through mosquito populations. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002780 pubmed publisher..This remarkable field experiment has both validated theoretical models of Wolbachia population dynamics and demonstrated that this is a viable strategy to modify mosquito populations. ..
- Tseng M. The Effect of Parasitism and Interpopulation Hybridization on Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) Fitness. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1236-1242 pubmed publisher..Although this was a laboratory experiment extending only to the F2 generation, many other invasive insects also carry coevolved parasites, and thus the patterns seen in this mosquito system may be broadly relevant. ..
- Shan C, Muruato A, Nunes B, Luo H, Xie X, Medeiros D, et al. A live-attenuated Zika virus vaccine candidate induces sterilizing immunity in mouse models. Nat Med. 2017;23:763-767 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the safety and efficacy results suggest that further development of this promising, live-attenuated ZIKV vaccine candidate is warranted. ..
- Mordecai E, Cohen J, Evans M, Gudapati P, Johnson L, Lippi C, et al. Detecting the impact of temperature on transmission of Zika, dengue, and chikungunya using mechanistic models. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005568 pubmed publisher..Such brief transmission windows limit the likelihood of major epidemics following disease introduction in temperate zones. ..
- Altamiranda Saavedra M, Arboleda S, Parra J, Peterson A, Correa M. Potential distribution of mosquito vector species in a primary malaria endemic region of Colombia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179093 pubmed publisher..These model results may be useful for the design and implementation of malaria species-specific vector control interventions optimized for this important malaria region. ..
- Lumley S, Horton D, Hernandez Triana L, Johnson N, Fooks A, Hewson R. Rift Valley fever virus: strategies for maintenance, survival and vertical transmission in mosquitoes. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:875-887 pubmed publisher..The review concludes that VT of RVFV is likely but that current data are insufficient to irrefutably prove this hypothesis. ..
- Saldaña M, Etebari K, Hart C, Widen S, Wood T, Thangamani S, et al. Zika virus alters the microRNA expression profile and elicits an RNAi response in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005760 pubmed publisher..This study expands our understanding of ZIKV-vector interactions and provides potential avenues to be further investigated to target ZIKV in the mosquito host. ..
- Maoz D, Ward T, Samuel M, Müller P, Runge Ranzinger S, Toledo J, et al. Community effectiveness of pyriproxyfen as a dengue vector control method: A systematic review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005651 pubmed publisher..Additionally, resistance to pyriproxyfen has been reported and needs investigation. ..
- Rodgers F, Gendrin M, Wyer C, Christophides G. Microbiota-induced peritrophic matrix regulates midgut homeostasis and prevents systemic infection of malaria vector mosquitoes. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006391 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the peritrophic matrix is a key regulator of mosquito gut homeostasis and establish functional analogies between this and the mucus layers of the mammalian gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Borena W, Hofer T, Stiasny K, Aberle S, Gaber M, Von Laer D, et al. No molecular or serological evidence of Zikavirus infection among healthy blood donors living in or travelling to regions where Aedes albopictus circulates. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178175 pubmed publisher..Further, Euroimmun anti-Zika ELISA proved to be a highly suitable and reliable test system in populations with high prevalence of TBEV infection and/or immunization. ..
- Watts A, Miniota J, Joseph H, Brady O, Kraemer M, Grills A, et al. Elevation as a proxy for mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission in the Americas. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178211 pubmed publisher..Although elevation is a crude predictor of environmental suitability for ZIKV transmission, its constancy made it a pragmatic input for policy decision-making during this public health emergency. ..
- Grubaugh N, Ladner J, Kraemer M, Dudas G, Tan A, Gangavarapu K, et al. Genomic epidemiology reveals multiple introductions of Zika virus into the United States. Nature. 2017;546:401-405 pubmed publisher..Our study provides an understanding of how ZIKV initiates transmission in new regions...
- Bonyah E, Khan M, Okosun K, Islam S. A theoretical model for Zika virus transmission. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185540 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we used Pontryagin's Maximum Principle to determine the necessary conditions for effective control of the disease. Also, the numerical results were presented...
- Hahn M, Eisen L, McAllister J, Savage H, Mutebi J, Eisen R. Updated Reported Distribution of Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti and Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in the United States, 1995-2016. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1420-1424 pubmed publisher..aegypti and Ae. albopictus from 1995 to 2016. Our findings underscore the continued need for systematic surveillance of Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus. ..
- Guedes D, Gomes E, Paiva M, Melo Santos M, Alves J, Gómez L, et al. Circulation of DENV2 and DENV4 in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) mosquitoes from Praia, Santiago Island, Cabo Verde. J Insect Sci. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..Our results revealed a very high natural infection rate in the vector population and showed two different serotypes co-circulating in the island that differ from the one detected in the 2009 outbreak in Cabo Verde...
- Kenney A, Cusick A, Payne J, Gaughenbaugh A, Renshaw A, Wright J, et al. The potential for flower nectar to allow mosquito to mosquito transmission of Francisella tularensis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175157 pubmed publisher..Mosquitoes subsequently feeding on this nectar source could potentially become colonized by F. tularensis. Thus, the possibility exists that flower nectar may allow for vector-vector transmission of F. tularensis. ..
- Pergantas P, Tsatsaris A, Malesios C, Kriparakou G, Demiris N, Tselentis Y. A spatial predictive model for malaria resurgence in central Greece integrating entomological, environmental and social data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178836 pubmed publisher..We found that appropriate maps depicting the basic reproduction number, R0, are useful tools for informing policy makers on the risk of malaria resurgence and can serve as a guide to inform recommendations regarding control measures. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Haines A, Bangert M, Farlow A, Hemingway J, Velayudhan R. An economic evaluation of vector control in the age of a dengue vaccine. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005785 pubmed publisher..High-burden endemic countries should proceed to map populations to be covered by sustained vector control. ..
- Metsky H, Matranga C, Wohl S, Schaffner S, Freije C, Winnicki S, et al. Zika virus evolution and spread in the Americas. Nature. 2017;546:411-415 pubmed publisher..We identify mutations with possible functional implications for ZIKV biology and pathogenesis, as well as those that might be relevant to the effectiveness of diagnostic tests. ..
- Wang X, Zhao X. A Malaria Transmission Model with Temperature-Dependent Incubation Period. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:1155-1182 pubmed publisher..The simulation result is consistent with the obtained analytic result. In addition, we find that using the time-averaged EIP may underestimate the basic reproduction ratio. ..
- Killeen G, Masalu J, Chinula D, Fotakis E, Kavishe D, Malone D, et al. Control of Malaria Vector Mosquitoes by Insecticide-Treated Combinations of Window Screens and Eave Baffles. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:782-789 pubmed publisher..WSEBs might enable affordable deployment of insecticide combinations to mitigate against physiologic insecticide resistance and improve control of behaviorally resistant, early exiting vectors. ..
- Mweya C, Mboera L, Kimera S. Climate Influence on Emerging Risk Areas for Rift Valley Fever Epidemics in Tanzania. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:109-114 pubmed publisher..Climatic variables for the current and future scenarios were used as model inputs. Changes in mosquito vectors' habitat suitability in relation to disease risk areas were estimated...
- Raharimalala F, Andrianinarivomanana T, Rakotondrasoa A, Collard J, Boyer S. Usefulness and accuracy of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry as a supplementary tool to identify mosquito vector species and to invest in development of international database. Med Vet Entomol. 2017;31:289-298 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, MALDI-TOF MS is a useful supplementary tool for mosquito identification and can help inform vector control. ..
- Pingen M, Schmid M, Harris E, McKimmie C. Mosquito Biting Modulates Skin Response to Virus Infection. Trends Parasitol. 2017;33:645-657 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the latest research developments regarding this fascinating interplay between mosquito, virus, and the mammalian host. ..
- Agha S, Tchouassi D, Bastos A, Sang R. Assessment of risk of dengue and yellow fever virus transmission in three major Kenyan cities based on Stegomyia indices. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005858 pubmed publisher..Identified productive containers should be made the focus of community-based targeted vector control programs. ..
- Mendenhall I, Manuel M, Moorthy M, Lee T, Low D, Missé D, et al. Peridomestic Aedes malayensis and Aedes albopictus are capable vectors of arboviruses in cities. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005667 pubmed publisher..Learning from Singapore's vector control success that reduced domestic vector populations, but has not sustainably reduced arboviral incidence, we suggest including peri-domestic vectors in the scope of vector management. ..
- Masalu J, Finda M, Okumu F, Minja E, Mmbando A, Sikulu Lord M, et al. Efficacy and user acceptability of transfluthrin-treated sisal and hessian decorations for protecting against mosquito bites in outdoor bars. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:197 pubmed publisherA number of mosquito vectors bite and rest outdoors, which contributes to sustained residual malaria transmission in endemic areas...
- Campbell L, Alexander A. Landscape Genetics of Aedes mcintoshi (Diptera: Culicidae), an Important Vector of Rift Valley Fever Virus in Northeastern Kenya. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1258-1265 pubmed publisher..Further understanding of the genetic structure of Ae. mcintoshi could provide useful information regarding the potential for RVFV to spread across East African landscapes. ..
- Alout H, Labbé P, Chandre F, Cohuet A. Malaria Vector Control Still Matters despite Insecticide Resistance. Trends Parasitol. 2017;33:610-618 pubmed publisherb>Mosquito vectors' resistance to insecticides is usually considered a major threat to the recent progresses in malaria control...
- Lilay A, Asamene N, Bekele A, Mengesha M, Wendabeku M, Tareke I, et al. Reemergence of yellow fever in Ethiopia after 50 years, 2013: epidemiological and entomological investigations. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:343 pubmed publisher..The investigation revealed that YF outbreak was reemerged after 50 years in Ethiopia. Vaccination should be given for the affected and neighboring districts and Case based surveillance should be initiated to detect every case. ..
- Blagrove M, Caminade C, Waldmann E, Sutton E, Wardeh M, Baylis M. Co-occurrence of viruses and mosquitoes at the vectors' optimal climate range: An underestimated risk to temperate regions?. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005604 pubmed publisher..the complex interplay between the optimal temperature for virus transmission, and the optimal climate for the mosquito vectors. Using published geolocated data we identified temperature and rainfall ranges in which a number of mosquito ..
- Hastings A, Fikrig E. Zika Virus and Sexual Transmission: A New Route of Transmission for Mosquito-borne Flaviviruses?. Yale J Biol Med. 2017;90:325-330 pubmed..This perspective will outline the evidence for sexual transmission and persistence of viral infection in semen and vaginal secretions as well as review the animal models for sexual transmission of Zika virus. ..
- Brugman V, Hernández Triana L, England M, Medlock J, Mertens P, Logan J, et al. Blood-feeding patterns of native mosquitoes and insights into their potential role as pathogen vectors in the Thames estuary region of the United Kingdom. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:163 pubmed publisher..pipiens f. pipiens and Cx. modestus indicates the potential for enzootic transmission of an introduced arbovirus between migratory and local bird species by native mosquito species. ..
- Armstrong P, Andreadis T, Shepard J, Thomas M. Northern range expansion of the Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus): Analysis of mosquito data from Connecticut, USA. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005623 pubmed publisher..albopictus at the northern boundary of its range in the northeastern U.S. and provides a baseline for monitoring the future spread of this species anticipated under climate change. ..
- Alto B, Wiggins K, Eastmond B, Velez D, Lounibos L, Lord C. Transmission risk of two chikungunya lineages by invasive mosquito vectors from Florida and the Dominican Republic. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005724 pubmed publisher..We identified small-scale geographic variation in vector competence among Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus that may contribute to regional differences in risk of CHIKV transmission in Florida. ..
- Carvalho M, Honorio N, Garcia L, Carvalho L. Aedes ægypti control in urban areas: A systemic approach to a complex dynamic. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005632 pubmed publisher..Triggering such an action could introduce changes in people's attitude through a positive feedback loop in the desired direction. ..
- Tangena J, Thammavong P, Lindsay S, Brey P. Risk of exposure to potential vector mosquitoes for rural workers in Northern Lao PDR. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005802 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the necessity of broadening mosquito control to include rubber plantations. ..
- Giordano B, Kaur S, Hunter F. West Nile virus in Ontario, Canada: A twelve-year analysis of human case prevalence, mosquito surveillance, and climate data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183568 pubmed publisher..90, p < 0.001). These data have the potential to contribute to more efficient larvicide programs and awareness campaigns for the public. ..
- Blosser E, Lord C, Stenn T, Acevedo C, Hassan H, Reeves L, et al. Environmental Drivers of Seasonal Patterns of Host Utilization by Culiseta melanura (Diptera: Culicidae) in Florida. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1365-1374 pubmed publisher..Detailed laboratory studies investigating impacts of environmental variables (temperature and photoperiod) on EEEV competence of anoles are needed to assess whether these animals support virus amplification. ..
- Liu Y, Liu J, Du S, Shan C, Nie K, Zhang R, et al. Evolutionary enhancement of Zika virus infectivity in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. Nature. 2017;545:482-486 pubmed publisher..Enhancement of NS1 antigenaemia in infected hosts promotes ZIKV infectivity and prevalence in mosquitoes, which could have facilitated transmission during recent ZIKV epidemics. ..
- Fernandes R, Campos S, Ribeiro P, Raphael L, Bonaldo M, Lourenco de Oliveira R. Culex quinquefasciatus from areas with the highest incidence of microcephaly associated with Zika virus infections in the Northeast Region of Brazil are refractory to the virus. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:577-579 pubmed publisher..All tested Cx. quinquefasciatus populations were refractory to the ZIKV isolates. For these reasons, we believe Cx. quinquefasciatus should not be considered a potential vector of ZIKV in Brazil. ..
- Torres R, Samudio R, Carrera J, Young J, Marquez R, Hurtado L, et al. Enzootic mosquito vector species at equine encephalitis transmission foci in the República de Panamá. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185491 pubmed publisher..Information from previous reports about vectorial competence / capacity of the sampled mosquito species suggest that sampled locations have all the elements to support enzootic outbreaks of Venezuelan and Eastern equine encephalitides...
- Akter R, Naish S, Hu W, Tong S. Socio-demographic, ecological factors and dengue infection trends in Australia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185551 pubmed publisher..Therefore, upgraded mosquito and disease surveillance at different ports should be in place to reduce the chance of mosquitoes and dengue cases being imported into all over Australia...
- Mier y Teran Romero L, Tatem A, Johansson M. Mosquitoes on a plane: Disinsection will not stop the spread of vector-borne pathogens, a simulation study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005683 pubmed publisher..Thus, while disinsection may serve a role in preventing the spread of vector species and other invasive insects, it is unlikely to impact the spread of mosquito-borne pathogens. ..
- Little E, Bajwa W, Shaman J. Local environmental and meteorological conditions influencing the invasive mosquito Ae. albopictus and arbovirus transmission risk in New York City. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005828 pubmed publisher..The methods applied here can be used to monitor and identify areas of risk for other imported vector-borne diseases. ..
- Schmidt T, Rasic G, Zhang D, Zheng X, Xi Z, Hoffmann A. Genome-wide SNPs reveal the drivers of gene flow in an urban population of the Asian Tiger Mosquito, Aedes albopictus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0006009 pubmed publisher..Our approach can be used to help predict new invasion pathways of Ae. albopictus and to refine strategies for vector control that involve the transformation or suppression of mosquito populations...