Summary: Ratings of the characteristics of food including flavor, appearance, nutritional content, and the amount of microbial and chemical contamination.
- Delaney T, Wyse R, Yoong S, Sutherland R, Wiggers J, Ball K, et al. Cluster randomised controlled trial of a consumer behaviour intervention to improve healthy food purchases from online canteens: study protocol. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e014569 pubmed publisher..Study findings will be disseminated widely through peer-reviewed publications and relevant presentations in international conferences and to stakeholders. ACTRN12616000499482. ..
- Xu Y, Zou C, Gao Y, Chen J, Wang F, Chen G, et al. Effect of the type of brewing water on the chemical composition, sensory quality and antioxidant capacity of Chinese teas. Food Chem. 2017;236:142-151 pubmed publisher..Lowering the pH of mineral water partially improved the taste quality and increased the concentration of catechins in the infusions. These results aid selection of the most appropriate water for brewing Chinese teas. ..
- Taye M, Kim J, Yoon S, Lee W, Hanotte O, Dessie T, et al. Whole genome scan reveals the genetic signature of African Ankole cattle breed and potential for higher quality beef. BMC Genet. 2017;18:11 pubmed publisher..These results provide a basis for further research on the genomic characteristics of Ankole and other Sanga cattle breeds for quality beef. ..
- Jorge É, Mendes A, Auriema B, Cazedey H, Fontes P, Ramos A, et al. Application of a check-all-that-apply question for evaluating and characterizing meat products. Meat Sci. 2015;100:124-33 pubmed..In addition, these attributes were linked to chemical and instrumental quality parameters. Thus, the CATA questions are a potential tool for evaluating and developing novel products. ..
- Arkfeld E, Young J, Johnson R, Fedler C, Prusa K, Patience J, et al. Composition and quality characteristics of carcasses from pigs divergently selected for residual feed intake on high- or low-energy diets. J Anim Sci. 2015;93:2530-45 pubmed publisher..01) had adipose with a greater iodine value than adipose from HELF fed pigs. Pork sensory quality from pigs differentially selected for residual feed intake was not influenced by energy content of the diet the pigs were fed. ..
- Horstmann S, Foschia M, Arendt E. Correlation analysis of protein quality characteristics with gluten-free bread properties. Food Funct. 2017;8:2465-2474 pubmed publisher..The protein solubility (r, 0.89; p < 0.01) and its foaming properties (r, 0.97; p < 0.05) were found to be the most important protein properties with correlations significantly with dough properties and bread quality. ..
- O Neil C, Nicklas T, Fulgoni V. Nutrient intake, diet quality, and weight/adiposity parameters in breakfast patterns compared with no breakfast in adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2008. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114:S27-43 pubmed publisher..Results suggest dietary and weight advantages of consuming breakfast, especially ones that include grains, cereals, lower-fat milk, and whole fruit/100% fruit juice, in contrast to the potential adverse effects of skipping breakfast. ..
- Manibusan M, Touart L. A comprehensive review of regulatory test methods for endocrine adverse health effects. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2017;47:433-481 pubmed publisher..subject of intensive research efforts for the past several decades, prompted in part by mandates in the 1996 Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA)...
- Zeiger K, Popp J, Becker A, Hankel J, Visscher C, Klein G, et al. Lauric acid as feed additive - An approach to reducing Campylobacter spp. in broiler meat. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175693 pubmed publisher..However, this effect seems to be dependent on the breed determining the feed intake capacity, the fat deposition and therefore the ability to incorporate lauric acid in the muscle. ..
- Nunes J, Piquerez M, Pujadas L, Armstrong E, Fernandez A, Lecumberry F. Beef quality parameters estimation using ultrasound and color images. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 4:S6 pubmed publisher..The proposed algorithms show good results to calculate the rib eye area and the backfat thickness measure and profile. They are also promising in predicting the percentage of intramuscular fat. ..
- Lim S, Lee J, Lee E. Comparison of fruit quality and GC-MS-based metabolite profiling of kiwifruit 'Jecy green': Natural and exogenous ethylene-induced ripening. Food Chem. 2017;234:81-92 pubmed publisher..The application of ethylene to 'Jecy green' kiwifruit to regulate ripening for commercial purposes can result in good quality fruit without side effects. ..
- Gaur S, Sloffer E, Ojha A, Patra F, Shukla D, Engeseth N, et al. Omega-3-Fortified Lipid-Based Nutrient Supplement: Development, Characterization, and Consumer Acceptability. Food Nutr Bull. 2017;38:158-171 pubmed publisher..An LNS containing FO with improved omega-6/omega-3 PUFA ratio was successfully formulated with staple Indian ingredients and optimized for storage stability using RSM. ..
- Chau M, Aung K, Hapuarachchi H, Lee P, Lim P, Kang J, et al. Microbial survey of ready-to-eat salad ingredients sold at retail reveals the occurrence and the persistence of Listeria monocytogenes Sequence Types 2 and 87 in pre-packed smoked salmon. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:46 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlighted a need to improve manufacturing and retail hygiene processes as well as to educate vulnerable populations to avoid consuming food prone to L. monocytogenes contamination. ..
- Akiyama H. Regulatory Science in Professional Education. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:447-452 pubmed publisher..of food safety supports risk analysis, such as scientific research and development of test methods to evaluate food quality, efficacy, and safety...
- D Esposito D, Ferriello F, Molin A, Diretto G, Sacco A, Minio A, et al. Unraveling the complexity of transcriptomic, metabolomic and quality environmental response of tomato fruit. BMC Plant Biol. 2017;17:66 pubmed publisher..Although similar fruit-related quality processes are activated in the same environment, different tomato genotypes follow distinct transcriptomic, metabolomic and sensorial trajectories depending on their own genetic makeup. ..
- Darmon N, Lacroix A, Muller L, Ruffieux B. Food Price Policies May Improve Diet but Increase Socioeconomic Inequalities in Nutrition. World Rev Nutr Diet. 2016;115:36-45 pubmed publisher..3% with the mixed subsidy, whereas decreases of 13.2 and 12.6%, respectively, were recorded for the medium-income group. Finally, both policies improved dietary quality, but they increased socioeconomic inequalities in nutrition. ..
- Miller P, Reedy J, Kirkpatrick S, Krebs Smith S. The United States food supply is not consistent with dietary guidance: evidence from an evaluation using the Healthy Eating Index-2010. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015;115:95-100 pubmed publisher..Moving toward a food system that is more conducive to healthy eating requires consideration of a range of factors that influence food supply and demand. ..
- Chang Y, Peng Y, Li P, Zhuang Y. Practices and exploration on competition of molecular biological detection technology among students in food quality and safety major. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2017;45:343-350 pubmed publisher..education in molecular biology experimental techniques is more necessary for the culture of the students in food quality and safety major...
- Aggarwal A, Monsivais P, Cook A, Drewnowski A. Positive attitude toward healthy eating predicts higher diet quality at all cost levels of supermarkets. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114:266-72 pubmed publisher..Promoting nutrition-education strategies among supermarkets, particularly those catering to low-income groups, can help to improve diet quality. ..
- Pouil S, Oberhansli F, Bustamante P, Metian M. Dietary Zn and the subsequent organotropism in fish: No influence of food quality, frequency of feeding and environmental conditions (pH and temperature). Chemosphere. 2017;183:503-509 pubmed publisher..how the distribution and the concentration of Zn is affected by some environmentally-relevant factors (food quality, food availability, water pH, and temperature) in turbot Scophthalmus maximus using radiotracer techniques...
- Zhang B, Peng B, Zhang C, Song Z, Ma R. Determination of fruit maturity and its prediction model based on the pericarp index of absorbance difference (IAD) for peaches. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177511 pubmed publisher..The result indicated that the IAD can be used as an index to predict peach fruit maturity. ..
- Wang H, Ni X, Liu L, Zeng D, Lai J, Qing X, et al. Controlling of growth performance, lipid deposits and fatty acid composition of chicken meat through a probiotic, Lactobacillus johnsonii during subclinical Clostridium perfringens infection. Lipids Health Dis. 2017;16:38 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, LJ treatment may be effective in controlling these changes by reducing the increased gut permeability caused by CP subclinical infection. ..
- Pasias I, Kiriakou I, Proestos C. HMF and diastase activity in honeys: A fully validated approach and a chemometric analysis for identification of honey freshness and adulteration. Food Chem. 2017;229:425-431 pubmed publisher..Diastase activity, sucrose content and hydroxymethylfurfural content were easily differentiated and these parameters were used for indication of the adulteration of the honey. ..
- Legako J, Dinh T, Miller M, Brooks J. Effects of USDA beef quality grade and cooking on fatty acid composition of neutral and polar lipid fractions. Meat Sci. 2015;100:246-55 pubmed..001). There was evidence indicating that dry heat cookery affected not only PUFA, as generally thought, but also the MUFA of PL fraction. ..
- Kuczmarski M, Mason M, Allegro D, Zonderman A, Evans M. Diet quality is inversely associated with C-reactive protein levels in urban, low-income African-American and white adults. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113:1620-31 pubmed publisher..Interventions to assist people make better food choices may not only improve diet quality but also their health, thereby possibly reducing risk for cardiovascular disease. ..