Summary: A housing and community arrangement that maximizes independence and self-determination.
- Franzon K, Byberg L, Sjogren P, Zethelius B, Cederholm T, Kilander L. Predictors of Independent Aging and Survival: A 16-Year Follow-Up Report in Octogenarian Men. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1953-1960 pubmed publisher..Similar associations were observed with survival. Lifestyle factors such as never smoking, maintaining a healthy diet, and not being obese at age 71 were associated with survival and independent aging at age 85 and older in men. ..
- Li C, Matthews A, Dong X. Examination of Chronic Smoking Behavior and Eligibility for Low-Dose Computed Tomography for Lung Cancer Screening Among Older Chinese Male Smokers. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S22-S25 pubmed publisher..Increased outreach and education regarding early detection of lung cancer and smoking cessation are needed for this vulnerable and high-risk population. ..
- Feng Z, Coots L, Kaganova Y, Wiener J. Hospital and ED use among Medicare beneficiaries with dementia varies by setting and proximity to death. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014;33:683-90 pubmed publisher..Our research suggests that substantial portions of hospitalizations and ED visits both before and during the last year of life were potentially avoidable. ..
- Kheirbek R, Fokar A, SHARA N, Bell Wilson L, Moore H, Olsen E, et al. Characteristics and Incidence of Chronic Illness in Community-Dwelling Predominantly Male U.S. Veteran Centenarians. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2100-2106 pubmed publisher..To assess the incidence of chronic illness and its effect on veteran centenarians...
- Dong X. Associations Between the Differential Definitions of Elder Mistreatment and Suicidal Ideation Outcomes in U.S. Chinese Older Adults: Do the Definitions Matter?. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S82-S89 pubmed publisher..17 [1.19-3.96]; OR, 1.94 [1.24-3.04]) but not 2-week SI. EM and its subtypes were significantly associated with SI; some associations varied by definitions and subtypes. ..
- Yunus R, Wazid S, Hairi N, Choo W, Hairi F, Sooryanarayana R, et al. Association between elder abuse and poor sleep: A cross-sectional study among rural older Malaysians. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180222 pubmed publisher..To examine the association between elder abuse and poor sleep using a Malay validated version of Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI)...
- Britten L, Addington C, Astill S. Dancing in time: feasibility and acceptability of a contemporary dance programme to modify risk factors for falling in community dwelling older adults. BMC Geriatr. 2017;17:83 pubmed publisher..An adequately powered study with control groups are required to test this intervention further. ..
- Di Pollina L, Guessous I, Petoud V, Combescure C, Buchs B, Schaller P, et al. Integrated care at home reduces unnecessary hospitalizations of community-dwelling frail older adults: a prospective controlled trial. BMC Geriatr. 2017;17:53 pubmed publisher..It is an effective tool to improve coordination and access to care for frail and dependent older adults. Clinical Trials.gov Identifier: NCT02084108 . Retrospectively registered on March 10th 2014. ..
- Verschoor C, McEwen L, Kohli V, Wolfson C, Bowdish D, Raina P, et al. The relation between DNA methylation patterns and serum cytokine levels in community-dwelling adults: a preliminary study. BMC Genet. 2017;18:57 pubmed publisher..As a preliminary study with a small sample size, the conclusions drawn from this work must be viewed with caution; however, our observations are encouraging and certainly warrant more suitably powered studies of this relationship. ..
- Kim S, Hong S, Kim J. Feasibility of the Korean-Advance Directives Among Community-Dwelling Elderly Persons. Holist Nurs Pract. 2017;31:234-242 pubmed publisher..These data support the K-AD as being applicable and acceptable among community-dwelling elderly persons; awareness of the K-AD in the community setting may facilitate future application when the need occurs. ..
- Beauchamp M, Lee A, Ward R, Harrison S, Bain P, Goldstein R, et al. Do Exercise Interventions Improve Participation in Life Roles in Older Adults? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Phys Ther. 2017;97:964-974 pubmed publisher..However, the evidence base for interventions to improve participation remains inconclusive. In particular, whether exercise interventions improve participation in life roles is unclear...
- Meng D, Xu G, He L, Zhang M, Lin D. What determines the preference for future living arrangements of middle-aged and older people in urban China?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180764 pubmed publisher..A relatively shorter length of residence in the same community was an important indicator of preference for independent living; this finding might require further research.
- Memmesheimer R, Lange K, Dölle M, Heger S, Mueller I. Psychological well-being and independent living of young adults with childhood-onset craniopharyngioma. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:829-836 pubmed publisher..To assess the psychological well-being and social integration of adults with craniopharyngioma diagnosed in childhood...
- ..Sarah Szanton's CAPABLE program helps older adults 'age in place' and cuts health care costs. ..
- Pol M, Poerbodipoero S, Robben S, Daams J, van Hartingsveldt M, de Vos R, et al. Sensor monitoring to measure and support daily functioning for independently living older people: a systematic review and road map for further development. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013;61:2219-27 pubmed..Studies on the effectiveness of sensor monitoring to support people in daily functioning remain scarce. A road map for further development is proposed. ..
- Liu T, Hao X, Zhang Z. Identifying community healthcare supports for the elderly and the factors affecting their aging care model preference: evidence from three districts of Beijing. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:626 pubmed publisher..Community facilities and services supporting elderly were found to be insufficient. For China's future health system, efforts should be made to improve community capacity to provide integrated services to senior citizens. ..
- Ohsawa M, Okamura T, Tanno K, Ogasawara K, Itai K, Yonekura Y, et al. Risk of stroke and heart failure attributable to atrial fibrillation in middle-aged and elderly people: Results from a five-year prospective cohort study of Japanese community dwellers. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:360-367 pubmed publisher..41; 95% CI, 3.86-14.2 in elderly individuals). AF increased the risk of stroke by the same magnitude as that reported previously in Western countries. AF increased the RR of heart failure more than that in Western populations. ..
- Verver D, Merten H, Robben P, Wagner C. Perspectives on the risks for older adults living independently. Br J Community Nurs. 2017;22:338-345 pubmed publisher..own perspective and their care provider's perspective is essential to address issues that may threaten their independent living. The most often mentioned perceived risks by older adults and their care providers in different regions in ..
- Lang L, CLIFFORD A, Wei L, Zhang D, Leung D, Augustine G, et al. Prevalence and determinants of undetected dementia in the community: a systematic literature review and a meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e011146 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to quantify the prevalence of undetected dementia and to examine its correlates...
- George C, Verghese J. Polypharmacy and Gait Performance in Community-dwelling Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2082-2087 pubmed publisher..005) and WWT (7.9 cm/s, P = .04 among those with polypharmacy compared to those without polypharmacy). These results suggest an association between polypharmacy and locomotion that medical comorbidities only partly explained. ..
- Xu L, Tang F, Li L, Dong X. Grandparent Caregiving and Psychological Well-Being Among Chinese American Older Adults-The Roles of Caregiving Burden and Pressure. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S56-S62 pubmed publisher..Policies and programs are discussed to address the grandparenting experience in the Chinese American older adults. ..
- Li C, Chu K, Reiher B, Kienene T, Chien L. Evaluation of health-related quality of life in patients with tuberculosis who completed treatment in Kiribati. J Int Med Res. 2017;45:610-620 pubmed publisher..Conclusions Our results suggest the effectiveness of DOTS treatment. Health professionals can enhance HRQoL among posttreatment TB patients by managing their symptoms. ..
- van der Meij B, Wijnhoven H, Lee J, Houston D, Hue T, Harris T, et al. Poor Appetite and Dietary Intake in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2190-2197 pubmed publisher..Better understanding of the specific dietary intake pattern related to a poor appetite in older adults can be used for nutrition interventions to enhance food intake, diet variety, and diet quality. ..
- Thyrian J, Hertel J, Wucherer D, Eichler T, Michalowsky B, Dreier Wolfgramm A, et al. Effectiveness and Safety of Dementia Care Management in Primary Care: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:996-1004 pubmed publisher..Dementia care management (DCM) can increase the quality of care for people with dementia. Methodologically rigorous clinical trials on DCM are lacking...
- Vable A, Gilsanz P, Nguyen T, Kawachi I, Glymour M. Validation of a theoretically motivated approach to measuring childhood socioeconomic circumstances in the Health and Retirement Study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185898 pubmed publisher..8,248). Adopting this type of theoretically motivated operationalization of cSES may strengthen the quality of research on the effects of cSES on health outcomes...
- Sahin A, Tekin O, Cebeci S, IÅŸik B, Ozkara A, Kahveci R, et al. Factors affecting daily instrumental activities of the elderly. Turk J Med Sci. 2015;45:1353-9 pubmed..It is important to evaluate elderly people's capabilities in daily activities. ..
- Uritani D, Fukumoto T, Myodo T, Fujikawa K, Usui M, Tatara D. The association between toe grip strength and osteoarthritis of the knee in Japanese women: A multicenter cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186454 pubmed publisher..Increasing toe grip strength might provide a practical intervention for patients with knee osteoarthritis...
- van Dalen J, Moll van Charante E, Caan M, Scheltens P, Majoie C, Nederveen A, et al. Effect of Long-Term Vascular Care on Progression of Cerebrovascular Lesions: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Substudy of the PreDIVA Trial (Prevention of Dementia by Intensive Vascular Care). Stroke. 2017;48:1842-1848 pubmed publisher..There was no effect on lacunar infarcts incidence but numbers were low. URL: http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN29711771. Unique identifier: ISRCTN29711771. ..
- Cheng Y, Tsao Y, Tzeng I, Chuang H, Li W, Tung T, et al. Body mass index and waist circumference are better predictors of insulin resistance than total body fat percentage in middle-aged and elderly Taiwanese. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8126 pubmed publisher..749 and 0.745 respectively, are greater than that of BF% 0.687. BMI and WC were more strongly associated with IR than was BF%. Excess body weight and body fat distribution were more important than total body fat in predicting IR. ..
- Casaletto K, Elahi F, Bettcher B, Neuhaus J, Bendlin B, Asthana S, et al. Neurogranin, a synaptic protein, is associated with memory independent of Alzheimer biomarkers. Neurology. 2017;89:1782-1788 pubmed publisher..Synaptic functioning may be a useful early marker of cognitive aging and possibly a target for future brain aging interventions. ..
- Ge S, Wu B, Bailey D, Dong X. Social Support, Social Strain, and Cognitive Function Among Community-Dwelling U.S. Chinese Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S16-S21 pubmed publisher..59, SE = 1.17, p < .01). Social support and strain were associated with cognitive outcomes. Future longitudinal studies should be conducted. ..
- Packham T, Cappelleri J, Sadosky A, MacDermid J, Brunner F. Measurement properties of painDETECT: Rasch analysis of responses from community-dwelling adults with neuropathic pain. BMC Neurol. 2017;17:48 pubmed publisher..Rasch modelling suggests the seven pain-qualities items from PD-Q may be used as an outcome measure. Further research is required to confirm validity and responsiveness in a clinical setting. ..
- Gregory M, Boa Sorte Silva N, Gill D, McGowan C, Liu Ambrose T, Shoemaker J, et al. Combined Dual-Task Gait Training and Aerobic Exercise to Improve Cognition, Mobility, and Vascular Health in Community-Dwelling Older Adults at Risk for Future Cognitive Decline1. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017;57:747-763 pubmed publisher
- Mehta T, Buzkova P, Kizer J, Djousse L, Chonchol M, Mukamal K, et al. Higher plasma transforming growth factor (TGF)-? is associated with kidney disease in older community dwelling adults. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18:98 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine the direction of association between plasma TGF-? and the risk of CKD and CKD-associated morbidities in older adults. ..
- Choi K, Jeon G, Cho S. Prospective Study on the Impact of Fear of Falling on Functional Decline among Community Dwelling Elderly Women. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..FOF is an important health problem that deserves attention in its own right. Public health approaches for elderly persons should address early detection, prevention, and intervention programs for FOF. ..
- Godfrey A. Wearables for independent living in older adults: Gait and falls. Maturitas. 2017;100:16-26 pubmed publisher..A brief presentation of wearables in one pathological group is presented, identifying appropriate work for researchers in other cohorts to utilise. Suggestions for how this domain needs to progress are also summarised. ..
- Velzke K, Baumann S. Including the Voice of Older Adults in Research. Nurs Sci Q. 2017;30:67-72 pubmed publisher..In other words, how do nurses give voice to otherwise silent older adults, even in cases when their strength and recall is failing? ..
- Cassidy T, RICHARDS L, Eakman A. Feasibility of a Lifestyle RedesignÂ®-Inspired Intervention for Well Older Adults. Am J Occup Ther. 2017;71:7104190050p1-7104190050p6 pubmed publisher..Perceived benefits were social relationships, awareness of community resources, and change in attitude toward aging. Implementation of a 3-mo Lifestyle Redesign-inspired program within a health care system was feasible. ..
- Park K, Yoo J, Kim H, Jang S, Park Y, Ha Y. Education and exercise program improves osteoporosis knowledge and changes calcium and vitamin D dietary intake in community dwelling elderly. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:966 pubmed publisher..This prospective intervention study demonstrated that education on osteoporosis knowledge and regular exercise programs could improve osteoporosis self- efficacy, fall self-efficacy and increase dietary calcium and vitamin D intake. ..
- Metti A, Rosano C, Boudreau R, Massa R, Yaffe K, Satterfield S, et al. Catechol-O-Methyltransferase Genotype and Gait Speed Changes over 10 Years in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2016-2022 pubmed publisher..Future work should investigate the molecular integrity of dopaminergic networks and gait changes over time and structural changes in the brain with COMT and gait decline in older adults. ..
- Chung J, Demiris G, Thompson H. Ethical Considerations Regarding the Use of Smart Home Technologies for Older Adults: An Integrative Review. Annu Rev Nurs Res. 2016;34:155-81 pubmed publisher..The ability to respond to potential ethical concerns will be critical to the future development and application of smart home technologies that aim to enhance safety and independence. ..
- Nakamura H, Nakamura M, Okada E, Ojima T, Kondo K. Association of food access and neighbor relationships with diet and underweight among community-dwelling older Japanese. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:546-551 pubmed publisher..10; 95% CI, 1.03-1.18). Low perceived availability of food is a risk factor for low dietary variety among older people. Furthermore, high levels of relationship with neighbors may relieve the harmful effect of low food access. ..
- Riffin C, Van Ness P, Wolff J, Fried T. Family and Other Unpaid Caregivers and Older Adults with and without Dementia and Disability. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1821-1828 pubmed publisher..Findings support the need for interventions that address the needs of caregivers who have not typically been defined as high risk. ..
- Ribeiro R, Hirani V, Senior A, Gosby A, Cumming R, Blyth F, et al. Diet quality and its implications on the cardio-metabolic, physical and general health of older men: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project (CHAMP). Br J Nutr. 2017;118:130-143 pubmed publisher..Older men demonstrated poor diet quality as assessed by the DGI-2013, and the association between dietary guidelines and health measures and indices may be influenced by ethnic background. ..
- Walters K, Kharicha K, Goodman C, Handley M, Manthorpe J, Cattan M, et al. Promoting independence, health and well-being for older people: a feasibility study of computer-aided health and social risk appraisal system in primary care. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:47 pubmed publisher..Widespread implementation of this approach would require work to address potential inequalities. ..
- Bynum J, Chang C, Austin A, Carmichael D, Meara E. Outcomes in Older Adults with Multimorbidity Associated with Predominant Provider of Care Specialty. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1916-1923 pubmed publisher..Older adults with multimorbidity with a specialist as their main ambulatory care provider had higher spending and lower continuity of care than those whose PPC was in primary care but similar clinical outcomes. ..
- Day J, Taylor A, Summons P, Van der Riet P, Hunter S, Maguire J, et al. Home care packages: insights into the experiences of older people leading up to the introduction of consumer directed care in Australia. Aust J Prim Health. 2017;23:162-169 pubmed publisher..Participants' use of contemporary technologies suggests opportunities to improve engagement of HCP clients in CDC. ..
- Lee E. Longitudinal Outcomes of Home Care in Korea to Manage Pressure Ulcers. Res Nurs Health. 2017;40:255-262 pubmed publisher..PrUs were a serious problem in this community-dwelling economically vulnerable group, and home care played a critical role in providing health care to this population. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Plouvier A, olde Hartman T, Verhulst C, Bloem B, van Weel C, Lagro Janssen A. Parkinson's disease: patient and general practitioner perspectives on the role of primary care. Fam Pract. 2017;34:227-233 pubmed publisher..However, GPs should feel more confident of the added value of their generalist approach to care for patients with a complex chronic disorder as PD. If generalist and specialized care reinforce each other, PD patients benefit. ..
- Riding S, Glendening N, Heaslip V. Real world challenges in delivering person-centred care: A community-based case study. Br J Community Nurs. 2017;22:391-396 pubmed publisher..Underpinning it was the recognition of our shared humanity, wherein lies the essence of truly holistic care, and student nurses learning this, through the guidance and support of their mentor. ..
- Ng Q, Kuah T, Loo G, Ho W, Wagner N, Sng J, et al. Awareness and Attitudes of Community-Dwelling Individuals in Singapore towards Participating in Advance Care Planning. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2017;46:84-90 pubmed..More efforts are needed to educate the public about ACP, engage the family unit and correct the present misconceptions. ..
- Zubala A, Macgillivray S, Frost H, Kroll T, Skelton D, Gavine A, et al. Promotion of physical activity interventions for community dwelling older adults: A systematic review of reviews. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180902 pubmed publisher..A whole system-oriented approach is required that is tailored to meet the needs of older adults and aligned with social, individual and environmental factors. ..
- Cremer A, Soumaré A, Berr C, Dartigues J, Gabelle A, Gosse P, et al. Orthostatic Hypotension and Risk of Incident Dementia: Results From a 12-Year Follow-Up of the Three-City Study Cohort. Hypertension. 2017;70:44-49 pubmed publisher..Considering that OH is a common condition and is easy to measure, OH measurements could help to identify subjects with higher risk of dementia. Moreover, reducing OH could be a step to prevent conversion to dementia. ..
- Pilleron S, Rajaobelina K, Tabue Teguo M, Dartigues J, Helmer C, Delcourt C, et al. Accumulation of advanced glycation end products evaluated by skin autofluorescence and incident frailty in older adults from the Bordeaux Three-City cohort. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186087 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the cross-sectional and prospective relationships between the accumulation of advanced glycation end products (AGE), assessed by skin autofluorescence (AF) and frailty and its components...
- Rashidi P, Mihailidis A. A survey on ambient-assisted living tools for older adults. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2013;17:579-90 pubmed..We will summarize the state-of-the-art AAL technologies, tools, and techniques, and we will look at current and future challenges. ..
- Cruz Almeida Y, Rosso A, Marcum Z, Harris T, Newman A, Nevitt M, et al. Associations of Musculoskeletal Pain With Mobility in Older Adults: Potential Cerebral Mechanisms. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:1270-1276 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to further understand whether successful pain management may significantly improve both brain health and mobility. ..
- Mukai N, Ohara T, Hata J, Hirakawa Y, Yoshida D, Kishimoto H, et al. Alternative Measures of Hyperglycemia and Risk of Alzheimer's Disease in the Community: The Hisayama Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3002-3010 pubmed publisher..GA/HbA1c ratio may be a useful biomarker for predicting incident AD. ..