Genomes and Genes
american native continental ancestry group
Summary: Individuals whose ancestral origins are in the continents of the Americas.
- Willermet C, Edgar H. Dental morphology and ancestry in Albuquerque, New Mexico Hispanics. Homo. 2009;60:207-24 pubmed publisher..This research is part of a growing trend in biological research concerning Hispanics and other groups-an emphasis on local samples, informed by historical, cultural, and biological factors. ..
- Mottl A, Vupputuri S, Cole S, Almasy L, Goring H, Diego V, et al. Linkage analysis of albuminuria. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:1597-606 pubmed publisher..4) and 10q25.1 using model 2 (logarithm of odds = 3.3). These loci replicate findings from multiple other genome scans of kidney disease phenotypes with distinct populations and are worthy of further study. ..
- Kuhnlein H. Karat, pulque, and gac: three shining stars in the traditional food galaxy. Nutr Rev. 2004;62:439-42 pubmed
- Watanabe Galloway S, Duran T, Stimpson J, Smith C. Gaps in survey data on cancer in American Indian and Alaska Native populations: examination of US population surveys, 1960-2010. Prev Chronic Dis. 2013;10:E39 pubmed publisher..5%. Continued efforts are needed to increase the overall number of AI/AN participants in these surveys, improve the quality of information on racial/ethnic background, and collect more information on treatment and survivorship. ..
- Johnson N, Coram M, Shriver M, Romieu I, Barsh G, London S, et al. Ancestral components of admixed genomes in a Mexican cohort. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002410 pubmed publisher..The ability to infer precise ancestral components of admixed genomes will facilitate studies of disease-related phenotypes and will allow new insight into the adaptive and demographic history of indigenous people. ..
- Hegele R, Harris S, Hanley A, Sadikian S, Connelly P, Zinman B. Genetic variation of intestinal fatty acid-binding protein associated with variation in body mass in aboriginal Canadians. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996;81:4334-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the T54 variant of the intestinal fatty acid-binding protein is associated with differences in fat metabolism in this aboriginal population. ..
- Podnieks E. Elder abuse: the Canadian experience. J Elder Abuse Negl. 2008;20:126-50 pubmed publisher..It is intended to allow for comparison from the various countries presented in this volume. Hopefully, readers will find some models, or ideas, they may wish to explore or even replicate within their own jurisdictions. ..
- Paranaíba L, Martelli Junior H, Oliveira Swerts M, Line S, Coletta R. Novel mutations in the IRF6 gene in Brazilian families with Van der Woude syndrome. Int J Mol Med. 2008;22:507-11 pubmed..Our results further confirmed that haploinsufficiency of the IRF6 gene results in VWS. ..
- Andrews M, Morgan D, Stewart N. Dementia awareness in northern nursing practice. Can J Nurs Res. 2010;42:56-73 pubmed..The findings suggest the need for educational programs and health-care policies that increase awareness of dementia in northern nursing practice and thereby improve the care provided to northern people. ..
- Harrison R, Veronneau J, Leroux B. Design and implementation of a dental caries prevention trial in remote Canadian Aboriginal communities. Trials. 2010;11:54 pubmed publisher..This trial is registered as ISRCTN41467632. ..
- Shuler C, Tripathi A, Black G, Park Y, Jerrell J. Individual risk factors and complexity associated with congenital heart disease in a pediatric medicaid cohort. South Med J. 2013;106:385-90 pubmed publisher..These changes present important opportunities for pediatricians and pediatric cardiologists to collaborate, especially in the care of the most severe anomalies. ..
- Kulig J, Grypma S. Breaking down racial barriers. Honouring pioneer Aboriginal nurses from the Blood Reserve. Alta RN. 2006;62:14-6 pubmed
- Law B, Rosenberg T, MacDonald N, Ashton F, Huang J, King W, et al. Age-related immunogenicity of meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine in aboriginal children and adolescents living in a Northern Manitoba reserve community. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998;17:860-4 pubmed..After age 2 all children made excellent CPA and BA responses. In the younger age groups the BA response was blunted but 82 to 95% achieved CPA titers of > or =2 microg/ml. ..
- Carod Artal F, Vazquez Cabrera C. [Evidence of facial palsy and facial malformations in pottery from Peruvian Moche and Lambayeque pre-Columbian cultures]. Neurologia. 2006;21:297-303 pubmed..The main pathologies observed in Moche and Lambayeque pottery are facial palsy and cleft lip. These are one of the earliest registries of these pathologies in pre-Columbian cultures in South-America. ..
- Jensen M, Lau A, Langlois Klassen D, Boffa J, Manfreda J, Long R. A population-based study of tuberculosis epidemiology and innovative service delivery in Canada. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:43-9, i pubmed publisher..Status Indians and the foreign-born are at increased risk of TB in Canada. Significant progress towards TB elimination has been made in Status Indians but not in the foreign-born. ..
- Shriner D, Adeyemo A, Ramos E, Chen G, Rotimi C. Mapping of disease-associated variants in admixed populations. Genome Biol. 2011;12:223 pubmed publisher..A more refined estimation of ancestry would benefit admixture mapping and association mapping, making disease loci identification in admixed populations more powerful. ..
- Segura Wang M, Raventos H, Escamilla M, Barrantes R. Assessment of genetic ancestry and population substructure in Costa Rica by analysis of individuals with a familial history of mental disorder. Ann Hum Genet. 2010;74:516-24 pubmed publisher..The results confirm the need to consider the particular regional genetic structure, the effects of genetic drift and the ancestry when designing and interpreting investigations of genetic traits in this population. ..
- Gorostiza A, Acunha Alonzo V, Regalado Liu L, Tirado S, Granados J, Sámano D, et al. Reconstructing the history of Mesoamerican populations through the study of the mitochondrial DNA control region. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44666 pubmed publisher..This result may be explained because populations historically assigned as belonging to the same group were, in fact, different indigenous populations. ..
- Walji R, Weeks L, Cooley K, Seely D. Naturopathic medicine and aboriginal health: an exploratory study at Anishnawbe Health Toronto. Can J Public Health. 2010;101:475-80 pubmed
- Friess M, Baylac M. Exploring artificial cranial deformation using elliptic Fourier analysis of Procrustes aligned outlines. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2003;122:11-22 pubmed..The observation of other modifications may be subject to methodological constraints of standard morphometric approaches. ..
- Healey S, Aronson K, Mao Y, Schlecht N, Mery L, Ferenczy A, et al. Oncogenic human papillomavirus infection and cervical lesions in aboriginal women of Nunavut, Canada. Sex Transm Dis. 2001;28:694-700 pubmed..The results of this study form the basis for further evaluation of the role that liquid-based cytology and HPV testing plays and will contribute to the strategy for cervical cancer prevention in Nunavut. ..
- Beltrame M, Pincerati M, Dalla Costa R, Wassem R, Köhler K, Chautard Freire Maia E, et al. CD80 and CD86 polymorphisms in populations of various ancestries: 5 new CD80 promoter alleles. Hum Immunol. 2012;73:111-7 pubmed publisher..Nucleotide -79 is monomorphic in 4 Amerindian populations, where the presence of the -79 G allele is probably the result of gene flow from non-Amerindians. ..
- Dessein A, Chevillard C, Arnaud V, Hou X, Hamdoun A, Dessein H, et al. Variants of CTGF are associated with hepatic fibrosis in Chinese, Sudanese, and Brazilians infected with schistosomes. J Exp Med. 2009;206:2321-8 pubmed publisher..The identified variants may be valuable markers for the prediction of disease progression, and identify a critical step in the development of HF that could be a target for chemotherapy. ..
- Sibbald B. Off-reserve Aboriginal people face daunting health problems: StatsCan. CMAJ. 2002;167:912 pubmed
- Brandi M, Ribeiro M, Chebli L, Franco M, Pinto A, Gaburri P, et al. Psychological distress in Brazilian Crohn's disease patients: screening, prevalence, and risk factors. Med Sci Monit. 2009;15:PH101-8 pubmed..Screening for depression and anxiety should be carried out routinely as part of quality of care improvement in CD individuals. ..
- Heller A, Salzano F, Barrantes R, Krylov M, Benevolenskaya L, Arnett F, et al. Intra- and intercontinental molecular variability of an Alu insertion in the 3' untranslated region of the LDLR gene. Hum Biol. 2004;76:591-604 pubmed..With this nuclear locus it was not possible to broadly distinguish between Central and South American natives. No evidence of selection or marked demographic changes was obtained with these data. ..
- Deved V, Jette N, Quan H, Tonelli M, Manns B, Soo A, et al. Quality of care for First Nations and non-First Nations People with diabetes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:1188-94 pubmed publisher..Compared with non-First Nations, First Nations People with diabetes but without CKD experience disparities in assessment of quality indicators and achievement of A1C target. ..
- Hegele R, Harris S, Zinman B, Wang J, Cao H, Hanley A, et al. Variation in the AU(AT)-rich element within the 3'-untranslated region of PPP1R3 is associated with variation in plasma glucose in aboriginal Canadians. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:3980-3 pubmed..These findings suggest that common PPPIR3 3'-UTR variation that potentially affects messenger ribonucleic acid stability is associated with variation in glycemia in Oji-Cree subjects with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Tsuji L, Wainman B, Martin I, Weber J, Sutherland C, Nieboer E. Abandoned Mid-Canada Radar Line sites in the Western James region of Northern Ontario, Canada: a source of organochlorines for First Nations people?. Sci Total Environ. 2006;370:452-66 pubmed
- Nersesyan A, Kundi M, Krupitza G, Barcelos G, Mišík M, Wultsch G, et al. Induction of nuclear anomalies in exfoliated buccal cells of coca chewers: results of a field study. Arch Toxicol. 2013;87:529-34 pubmed publisher..However, the significant increase in certain anomalies shows that acute toxic effects are caused by coca consumption...
- Donaldson M, Cawthon P, Lui L, Schousboe J, Ensrud K, Taylor B, et al. Estimates of the proportion of older white women who would be recommended for pharmacologic treatment by the new U.S. National Osteoporosis Foundation Guidelines. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24:675-80 pubmed publisher..Application of the new NOF Guidelines would result in recommending a very large proportion of white women in the United States for pharmacologic treatment of osteoporosis. ..
- Rubicz R, Melton P, Spitsyn V, Sun G, Deka R, Crawford M. Genetic structure of native circumpolar populations based on autosomal, mitochondrial, and Y chromosome DNA markers. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2010;143:62-74 pubmed publisher..Genbank accession numbers for mtDNA sequences: GQ922935-GQ922973. ..
- Mill J. HIV risk behaviors become survival techniques for aboriginal women. West J Nurs Res. 1997;19:466-89 pubmed..They concurred that their self-esteem prior to becoming HIV-positive was low. It is concluded that, when viewed in their psychosocial context, the risk behaviors manifested by these women are, in fact, survival techniques. ..
- Sinclair G, Choy F, Ferreira P. Heterologous expression and characterization of a rare Gaucher disease mutation (c.481C > T) from a Canadian aboriginal population using archival tissue samples. Mol Genet Metab. 2001;74:345-52 pubmed..This technique will be applicable to the screening of this and other populations for the frequency of known Gaucher mutations where traditional DNA sources are unavailable. ..
- McLaughlin P. Contraband cigarettes becoming a national norm. CMAJ. 2007;176:1567-8 pubmed
- Caldwell J, Davis J, Du Bois B, Echo Hawk H, Erickson J, Goins R, et al. Culturally competent research with American Indians and Alaska Natives: findings and recommendations of the first symposium of the work group on American Indian Research and Program Evaluation Methodology. Am Indian Alsk Native Ment Health Res. 2005;12:1-21 pubmed..We discuss the major findings of the first American Indian Research and Program Evaluation Methodology national symposium, and articulate a set of 20 guiding principles for conducting research and program evaluation. ..
- Beres A, Al Abbad S, Puligandla P. Appendicitis in northern aboriginal children: does delay in definitive treatment affect outcome?. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:890-3 pubmed publisher..Pretransfer antibiotics do not reduce perforation rates but may impact complications. We endorse their use if a delay in transfer is anticipated. ..
- Sharma S, Barr A, Macdonald H, Sheehy T, Novotny R, Corriveau A. Vitamin D deficiency and disease risk among aboriginal Arctic populations. Nutr Rev. 2011;69:468-78 pubmed publisher..Supplementation protocols may also be necessary to ensure adequate vitamin D status in the Arctic. ..
- Devries K, Free C. Boyfriends and booty calls: sexual partnership patterns among Canadian Aboriginal young people. Can J Public Health. 2011;102:13-7 pubmed..Interventions that address both individual level behaviour and the contextual elements that shape behaviour should be developed and tested. ..
- Stempel T. Indian Health Service: providing care to Native Americans and Alaska Natives. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2007;92:12-6 pubmed
- Gonzales G. Peruvian contributions to the study on human reproduction at high altitude: from the chronicles of the Spanish conquest to the present. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2007;158:172-9 pubmed..Clearly, antiquity and genetics are important components in determining survival and quality of life at high altitude. ..
- Borowoy A, Pope J, Silverman E, Fortin P, Pineau C, Smith C, et al. Neuropsychiatric lupus: the prevalence and autoantibody associations depend on the definition: results from the 1000 faces of lupus cohort. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2012;42:179-85 pubmed publisher..NPSLE was associated with aPL and often anti-Ro and varied by ethnicity. ..
- Weber C, Rush D, Jeffery J, Cheang M, Karpinski M. Kidney transplantation outcomes in Canadian aboriginals. Am J Transplant. 2006;6:1875-81 pubmed..In conclusion, kidney transplant outcomes have historically been inferior in the Manitoba population of Canadian Aboriginals. ..
- Gutiérrez Rodríguez M, Sandoval Ramirez L, Diaz Flores M, Marsh S, Valladares Salgado A, Madrigal J, et al. KIR gene in ethnic and Mestizo populations from Mexico. Hum Immunol. 2006;67:85-93 pubmed..By subtyping of KIR3DL1, 3DL2, 2DL1, and 2DL3, two B haplotypes were identified in families; both were absent in Caucasian families. Our results indicated a greater diversity of genes in the Mestizos group than in the ethnic groups. ..
- Cattarinich X, Gibson N, Cave A. Assessing mental capacity in Canadian Aboriginal seniors. Soc Sci Med. 2001;53:1469-79 pubmed
- Hegele R, Harris S, Hanley A, Zinman B. Association between AGT codon 235 polymorphism and variation in serum concentrations of creatinine and urea in Canadian Oji-Cree. Clin Genet. 1999;55:438-43 pubmed..The findings suggest that the AGT T235 allele is a determinant of intermediate traits related to renal function in these aboriginal Canadians. ..
- Russell C, Gregory D, Care W, Hultin D. Recognizing and avoiding intercultural miscommunication in distance education a study of the experiences of Canadian faculty and aboriginal nursing students. J Prof Nurs. 2007;23:351-61 pubmed..Lastly, strategies for preventing intercultural miscommunication in online courses are described. ..
- Vorauer J. Dominant group members in intergroup interaction: safety or vulnerability in numbers?. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2003;29:498-511 pubmed..The results suggest that intergroup attitudes guide the types of intergroup contact situations that are experienced most positively. ..