Genomes and Genes
Summary: Individuals classified according to their sex, racial origin, religion, common place of living, financial or social status, or some other cultural or behavioral attribute. (UMLS, 2003)
- Hansen K, Sørlie T. Ethnic discrimination and psychological distress: a study of Sami and non-Sami populations in Norway. Transcult Psychiatry. 2012;49:26-50 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that ethnic discrimination is a major potential risk factor for poor mental health, and may contribute to ethnicity-related differences in mental health between Sami and non-Sami populations. ..
- Ross A, Johansson A, Vavruch Nilsson V, Hassler S, Sjölander P, Edin Liljegren A, et al. Adherence to a traditional lifestyle affects food and nutrient intake among modern Swedish Sami. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2009;68:372-85 pubmed..Nutrient and food-intake patterns were similar for males and females. Classification of Sami into RS and NRS indicates that a traditional lifestyles defined by occupation is reflected in differences in food and nutrient intake. ..
- Ford J, Beaumier M. Feeding the family during times of stress: experience and determinants of food insecurity in an Inuit community. Geogr J. 2011;177:44-61 pubmed
- Saraswathy K, Asghar M, Samtani R, Murry B, Mondal P, Ghosh P, et al. Spectrum of MTHFR gene SNPs C677T and A1298C: a study among 23 population groups of India. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:5025-31 pubmed publisher..MTHFR C677T and A1298C single nucleotide polymorphisms in a total of 23 Indian caste, tribal and religious population groups from five geographical regions of India and belonging to four major linguistic groups...
- Mohindra K, Narayana D, Anushreedha S, Haddad S. Alcohol use and its consequences in South India: views from a marginalised tribal population. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011;117:70-3 pubmed publisher..In addition, there is a need for studies that untangle the potential linkages between both historical and current exploitation of marginalized populations and alcohol use. ..
- Kang H, Sul J, Service S, Zaitlen N, Kong S, Freimer N, et al. Variance component model to account for sample structure in genome-wide association studies. Nat Genet. 2010;42:348-54 pubmed publisher..We find that EMMAX outperforms both principal component analysis and genomic control in correcting for sample structure. ..
- Parathian H, Maldonado A. Human-nonhuman primate interactions amongst Tikuna people: perceptions and local initiatives for resource management in Amacayacu in the Colombian Amazon. Am J Primatol. 2010;72:855-65 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Mocagua provides an example of how community-based conservation strategies can be achieved, where opportunities for employment in tourism and alternative food sources are available. ..
- Han X, Luo Y, Ren Q, Zhang X, Wang F, Sun X, et al. Implication of genetic variants near SLC30A8, HHEX, CDKAL1, CDKN2A/B, IGF2BP2, FTO, TCF2, KCNQ1, and WFS1 in type 2 diabetes in a Chinese population. BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:81 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the important contribution of these genetic loci to susceptibility for T2D in the Chinese Han population in Beijing of China. ..
- Ahlm K, Hassler S, Sjölander P, Eriksson A. Unnatural deaths in reindeer-herding Sami families in Sweden, 1961-2001. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2010;69:129-37 pubmed..The results indicate that alcohol is an important factor in preventing unnatural deaths among reindeer-herding Sami, together with increased safety of both on-road and off-road transportation. ..
- Rodriguez Ezpeleta N, Alvarez Busto J, Imaz L, Regueiro M, Azcárate M, Bilbao R, et al. High-density SNP genotyping detects homogeneity of Spanish and French Basques, and confirms their genomic distinctiveness from other European populations. Hum Genet. 2010;128:113-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we present the first high-throughput analysis including Basques from Spanish and French provinces, and show that all Basques constitute a homogeneous group that can be clearly differentiated from other European populations. ..
- Einsiedel L, Fernandes L, Spelman T, Steinfort D, Gotuzzo E. Bronchiectasis is associated with human T-lymphotropic virus 1 infection in an Indigenous Australian population. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:43-50 pubmed publisher..46-31.34; P = .014). Overall mortality was high; 34.2% of the cohort died at a median age of 42.5 years. HTLV-1 infection contributes to the risk of developing bronchiectasis and worsens outcomes among Indigenous Australians. ..
- Daniel M, Lekkas P, Cargo M, Stankov I, Brown A. Environmental risk conditions and pathways to cardiometabolic diseases in indigenous populations. Annu Rev Public Health. 2011;32:327-47 pubmed publisher..Implications of environmental factors and their pathways as well as important research needs are discussed in relation to ecological prevention to reduce cardiometabolic diseases. ..
- Haber M, Platt D, Badro D, Xue Y, El Sibai M, Bonab M, et al. Influences of history, geography, and religion on genetic structure: the Maronites in Lebanon. Eur J Hum Genet. 2011;19:334-40 pubmed publisher..Post-establishment differentiations are most plausibly explained by migrations of peoples seeking refuge to avoid the turmoil of major historical events. ..
- Kenny E, Kim M, Gusev A, Lowe J, Salit J, Smith J, et al. Increased power of mixed models facilitates association mapping of 10 loci for metabolic traits in an isolated population. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:827-39 pubmed publisher..Finally, we report a novel associations for height (rs17629022, P< 2.1 × 10??). ..
- Redding G, Byrnes C. Chronic respiratory symptoms and diseases among indigenous children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2009;56:1323-42 pubmed publisher..Therapies for these symptoms, although not specific to children of Indigenous origins, are described as is the evidence for their use. ..
- Alexander D, Lange K. Enhancements to the ADMIXTURE algorithm for individual ancestry estimation. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:246 pubmed publisher..Finally, by exploiting multiple processors, large datasets can be analyzed even more rapidly. The enhancements we have described make ADMIXTURE a more accurate, efficient, and versatile tool for ancestry estimation. ..
- Hansen K, Melhus M, Lund E. Ethnicity, self-reported health, discrimination and socio-economic status: a study of Sami and non-Sami Norwegian populations. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2010;69:111-28 pubmed..The findings of this study suggest that self-reported ethnic discrimination combined with low socio-economic status contributes to inequalities in self-reported health when Sami and Norwegian majority population are compared. ..
- Furgal C, Garvin T, Jardine C. Trends in the study of Aboriginal health risks in Canada. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2010;69:322-32 pubmed..Greater attention to mental health, addictions and Métis health is required. The increasing use of a risk-based analytical focus has potential implications for understanding the nature of Aboriginal health today and in the future. ..
- Salas A, Amigo J. A reduced number of mtSNPs saturates mitochondrial DNA haplotype diversity of worldwide population groups. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10218 pubmed publisher..More than 2,000 complete genomes representing three main continental human population groups (Africa, Europe, and Asia) and two admixed populations ("African-Americans" and "Hispanics&..
- Lee S, Wright F, Zou F. Control of population stratification by correlation-selected principal components. Biometrics. 2011;67:967-74 pubmed publisher..Analyses of simulated and real data demonstrate the usefulness of the proposed approach. ..
- Davidson P, Abbott P, Davison J, DiGiacomo M. Improving medication uptake in aboriginal and Torres Strait islander peoples. Heart Lung Circ. 2010;19:372-7 pubmed publisher..Subsidised access to medications whether living in urban, regional, rural or remote areas is an important strategy in Closing the Gap. ..
- Wang H, Haiman C, Kolonel L, Henderson B, Wilkens L, Le Marchand L, et al. Self-reported ethnicity, genetic structure and the impact of population stratification in a multiethnic study. Hum Genet. 2010;128:165-77 pubmed publisher..The bias may be large in case-only analysis of gene by gene interactions but it can be corrected by top PCs derived from all SNPs. ..
- Khambalia A, Aimone A, Zlotkin S. Burden of anemia among indigenous populations. Nutr Rev. 2011;69:693-719 pubmed publisher..e., malaria and intestinal parasites). A concerted global effort is needed to reduce the worldwide burden of anemia in these marginalized populations. ..
- Pemberton T, Wang C, Li J, Rosenberg N. Inference of unexpected genetic relatedness among individuals in HapMap Phase III. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:457-64 pubmed publisher..The inferred relative pairs make it possible to propose standardized subsets of unrelated individuals for use in future studies in which relatedness needs to be clearly defined. ..
- Manichaikul A, Mychaleckyj J, Rich S, Daly K, Sale M, Chen W. Robust relationship inference in genome-wide association studies. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:2867-73 pubmed publisher..Our robust relationship inference algorithm is implemented in a freely available software package, KING, available for download at http://people.virginia.edu/?wc9c/KING. ..
- Maple Brown L, Cunningham J, Nandi N, Hodge A, O Dea K. Fibrinogen and associated risk factors in a high-risk population: urban Indigenous Australians, the DRUID Study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010;9:69 pubmed publisher..The apparent different associations of fibrinogen with cardiovascular disease risk markers in men and women should be explored further. ..
- Zhang Z, Ersoz E, Lai C, Todhunter R, Tiwari H, Gore M, et al. Mixed linear model approach adapted for genome-wide association studies. Nat Genet. 2010;42:355-60 pubmed publisher..We have made these methods available within an implementation of the software program TASSEL. ..
- Kaiser N, Sjölander P, Liljegren A, Jacobsson L, Renberg E. Depression and anxiety in the reindeer-herding Sami population of Sweden. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2010;69:383-93 pubmed
- Getty G. The journey between Western and indigenous research paradigms. J Transcult Nurs. 2010;21:5-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, lessons about an Indigenous research paradigm including the benefits of using a theoretical approach based on an Indigenous knowledge system are identified. ..
- Schuster R, Wein E, Dickson C, Chan H. Importance of traditional foods for the food security of two First Nations communities in the Yukon, Canada. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2011;70:286-300 pubmed..However, limited availability of food species, access to harvesting equipment and decrease in available time to go out on the land to harvest are food security challenges facing households today. ..
- Nishiyama T, Kishino H, Suzuki S, Ando R, Niimura H, Uemura H, et al. Detailed analysis of Japanese population substructure with a focus on the southwest islands of Japan. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35000 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the possibility of population stratification must be considered when enrolling the islander population of this area, such as in the J-MICC study. ..
- Glover M, Kira A, Faletau J. Smoke, smoking and cessation: the views of children with respiratory illness. J Asthma. 2013;50:722-8 pubmed publisher..Health promotion messages for parents could have more weight if they convey the concerns voiced by children. ..
- Yakushi T, Kuba T, Nakamoto Y, Fukuhara H, Koda M, Tanaka O, et al. Usefulness of an educational lecture focusing on improvement in public awareness of and attitudes toward depression and its treatments. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:126 pubmed publisher..01). The educational intervention appears useful for acquiring accurate attitudes toward depression in a medical model. However, other strategies should be considered to enhance help-seeking behavior, especially in younger people. ..
- Moyo S. Indigenous knowledge systems and attitudes towards male infertility in Mhondoro-Ngezi, Zimbabwe. Cult Health Sex. 2013;15:667-79 pubmed publisher..Given the existence of indigenous knowledge systems for the investigation and mediation of male impotence and infertility, it is worth incorporating traditional healers in future strategies targeting these emasculating conditions. ..
- Rempel J, Uhanova J. Hepatitis C virus in American Indian/Alaskan Native and Aboriginal peoples of North America. Viruses. 2012;4:3912-31 pubmed..Although emerging treatments provide hope, combating HCV-related morbidity and mortality will require interventions that address the etiology of broken spirit diseases. ..
- Ringe R, Ozorowski G, Rantalainen K, Struwe W, Matthews K, Torres J, et al. Reducing V3 Antigenicity and Immunogenicity on Soluble, Native-Like HIV-1 Env SOSIP Trimers. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..We characterized the new trimers, tested them as immunogens in rabbits, and found that the blocking glycans eliminated the induction of tier-1 NAbs to V3-epitopes. ..
- Ambrose A, Arakawa R, Greidanus B, Macdonald P, Racsa C, Shibuya K, et al. Geographical maldistribution of native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander physicians in Hawai'i. Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2012;71:13-20 pubmed..Burns School of Medicine, Imi Ho'ola, and the Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence, are contributing to resolving some of the health disparities and should consider expanding their efforts. ..
- Jacobs D, Malone C, Iles G. Race and imprisonments: vigilante violence, minority threat, and racial politics. Sociol Q. 2012;53:166-87 pubmed..These results also confirm a political version of racial threat theory by indicating that increased Republican political strength produces additional imprisonments. ..
- Norum J, Nieder C. Sami-speaking municipalities and a control group's access to somatic specialist health care (SHC): a retrospective study on general practitioners' referrals. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2012;71:17346 pubmed publisher..GPs in both groups were loyal to their local hospital trust. Inhabitants in Sami-speaking municipalities in northern Norway have a similar supply of SHC services as controls. Inter-municipal variation was significant in both groups. ..
- Kang C, Marjoram P. Exact coalescent simulation of new haplotype data from existing reference haplotypes. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:838-44 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the performance of our method using a variety of data simulated under a coalescent model, before applying it to data from the 1000 Genomes project. ..
- Ahmad S, Koya P, Seshadri M. Effects of chronic low level radiation in the population residing in the high level natural radiation area in Kerala, India: employing heritable DNA mutation studies. Mutat Res. 2013;751:91-5 pubmed publisher..All the markers used in the present study were in the non-coding region and hence mutations in these regions may not cause adverse health effects, but the study is important in understanding the effect of chronic low level radiation. ..
- Snyder M, Wilson K. Urban Aboriginal mobility in Canada: examining the association with health care utilization. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75:2420-4 pubmed publisher..This has important implications for how health services are planned and delivered to urban Aboriginal movers on a local, and potentially global, scale. ..
- Johnston V, Westphal D, Glover M, Thomas D, Segan C, Walker N. Reducing smoking among indigenous populations: new evidence from a review of trials. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15:1329-38 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that not all tobacco control interventions can or necessarily need to be culturally adapted for indigenous populations although there are circumstances when this is important. ..
- CROWDER S, Broome M. A framework to evaluate the cultural appropriateness of intervention research. West J Nurs Res. 2012;34:1002-22 pubmed publisher..Based on this analysis, it is clear that an overarching framework is needed to guide the development of culturally targeted interventions. ..
- Dudarev A. Dietary exposure to persistent organic pollutants and metals among Inuit and Chukchi in Russian Arctic Chukotka. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2012;71:18592 pubmed publisher..Important and urgent remedial actions are recommended to minimize PTSs environmental and domestic contamination. Waste clean-up activities started in coastal Chukotka in 2007. ..
- Macpherson E, Sadalaki J, Njoloma M, Nyongopa V, Nkhwazi L, Mwapasa V, et al. Transactional sex and HIV: understanding the gendered structural drivers of HIV in fishing communities in Southern Malawi. J Int AIDS Soc. 2012;15 Suppl 1:1-9 pubmed publisher..This suggests that specially targeted strategies to increase women's economic empowerment and tackle the structural drivers of women's HIV risk could be important in fishing communities. ..
- Schneider L, Rachid R, LeBovidge J, Blood E, Mittal M, Umetsu D. A pilot study of omalizumab to facilitate rapid oral desensitization in high-risk peanut-allergic patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;132:1368-74 pubmed publisher..Among children with high-risk peanut allergy, treatment with omalizumab may facilitate rapid oral desensitization and qualitatively improve the desensitization process. ..
- Miller A, Massey P, Judd J, Kelly J, Durrheim D, Clough A, et al. Using a participatory action research framework to listen to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia about pandemic influenza. Rural Remote Health. 2015;15:2923 pubmed..The participatory approach used in this study has the potential to be applied to vulnerable populations in other countries. ..