Summary: Phenomenon in which organisms are subjected to radiation.
- Thome C, Tharmalingam S, Pirkkanen J, Zarnke A, Laframboise T, Boreham D. The REPAIR Project: Examining the Biological Impacts of Sub-Background Radiation Exposure within SNOLAB, a Deep Underground Laboratory. Radiat Res. 2017;188:470-474 pubmed publisherConsiderable attention has been given to understanding the biological effects of low-dose ionizing radiation exposure at levels slightly above background...
- Caffrey E, Johansen M, Caffrey J, Higley K. Comparison of Homogeneous and Particulate Lung Dose Rates For Small Mammals. Health Phys. 2017;112:526-532 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates one possible approach to dose assessments for biota in environments contaminated by radioactive particles, which may prove useful for those engaged in environmental radioprotection. ..
- Baumann F, Pena C, Kloeckner R, Katzen B, Gandhi R, Benenati J. The Effect of a New Angiographic Imaging Technology on Radiation Dose in Visceral Embolization Procedures. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:183-187 pubmed publisher..The CIQ technology significantly reduced mean radiation dose by 39.4% for visceral embolization procedures when compared to fluoroscopy time and contrast media dose. This dose relationship was consistent across all BMI groups. ..
- Ono K, Kondo Y, Ichikawa T, Asada Y. Evaluation of the Patient Exposure in General Radiography for Some Facilities: Comparison with DRL and Evaluation of the Difference among Facilities. Nihon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi. 2017;73:556-562 pubmed publisher..In the future, it can be said that it is necessary to set diagnostic reference range (DRR) or achievable dose (AD) to understand how high or low dose of the own facility are compared with facilities nationwide. ..
- Doukali H, Ben Salah G, Hamdaoui L, Hajjaji M, Tabebi M, Ammar Keskes L, et al. Oxidative stress and glutathione S-transferase genetic polymorphisms in medical staff professionally exposed to ionizing radiation. Int J Radiat Biol. 2017;93:697-704 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that the medical staff exposed to low IR levels were under risk of significant oxidative stress that was enhanced by their glutathione S-transferase (GST) polymorphisms. ..
- Tondel M, Rääf C, Wålinder R, Mamour A, Isaksson M. Estimated lifetime effective dose to hunters and their families in the three most contaminated counties in Sweden after the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident in 1986 - A pilot study. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:241-249 pubmed publisher..This study shows it is possible to use register data to develop algorithms for calculating lifetime effective dose commitments for hunters with relatively accuracy. ..
- Molinaro E, Romei C, Biagini A, Sabini E, Agate L, Mazzeo S, et al. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: from clinicopathology to genetics and advanced therapies. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017;13:644-660 pubmed publisher..The most recent literature regarding conventional, newly available and future therapies for ATC is also discussed. ..
- Zhang J, Yu R, Liang J, Long D, Sang C, Ma C, et al. Reconstruction left atrium and isolation pulmonary veins of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation using single contact force catheter with zero x-ray exposure: A CONSORT Study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7726 pubmed publisher..Three-dimensional (3D) mapping system capable of showing contact force (CF) and direction of catheter tip may compensate for nonfluoroscopic safety issues...
- Vopham T, Bertrand K, Yuan J, Tamimi R, Hart J, Laden F. Ambient ultraviolet radiation exposure and hepatocellular carcinoma incidence in the United States. Environ Health. 2017;16:89 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to examine the association between ambient ultraviolet (UV) radiation exposure and HCC risk in the U.S...
- Debatin M, Hesser J. Accurate low-dose iterative CT reconstruction from few projections by Generalized Anisotropic Total Variation minimization for industrial CT. J Xray Sci Technol. 2015;23:701-26 pubmed publisher..5, when AwTV is used and a factor of approximately 6.7, when our proposed algorithm is used. ..
- Kolla B, Roy S, Duval S, Weisdorf D, Valeti U, Blaes A. Cardiac Imaging Methods for Chemotherapy-related Cardiotoxicity Screening and Related Radiation Exposure: Current Practice and Trends. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2445-2449 pubmedb>Radiation exposure is a serious concern with usage of serial multigated acquisition (MUGA) scans (7.8mSv/study) for chemotherapy-related cardiotoxicity (CRC) screening...
- Miller A, Rivas R, Tesoro L, Kovalenko G, Kovaric N, Pavlovic P, et al. Radiation exposure from depleted uranium: The radiation bystander effect. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;331:135-141 pubmed publisher..This novel effect of DU exposure could have implications for radiation risk and for health risk assessment associated with DU exposure. ..
- Türedi S, Kerimoğlu G, Mercantepe T, Odaci E. Biochemical and pathological changes in the male rat kidney and bladder following exposure to continuous 900-MHz electromagnetic field on postnatal days 22-59<sup/>. Int J Radiat Biol. 2017;93:990-999 pubmed publisher..We conclude that continuous exposure to the effect of 900-MHz EMF for 1?h a day on postnatal days 22-59, inclusive, causes an increase in oxidative stress and various pathological changes in male rat kidney and bladder tissues. ..
- Badru F, Piening N, To A, Xu P, Fitzpatrick C, Chatoorgoon K, et al. Imaging for acute appendicitis at nonpediatric centers exposes children to excess radiation. J Surg Res. 2017;216:201-206 pubmed publisherb>Radiation exposure is the reason for the decreased utilization of computed tomography (CT) in pediatric centers (PCs)...
- Vienneau D, de Hoogh K, Hauri D, Vicedo Cabrera A, Schindler C, Huss A, et al. Effects of Radon and UV Exposure on Skin Cancer Mortality in Switzerland. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:067009 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests both are relevant risk factors for skin cancer mortality. A better understanding of the role of the UV radiation and radon exposure is of high public health relevance. https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP825. ..
- Suntharalingam S, Mikat C, Stenzel E, Erfanian Y, Wetter A, Schlosser T, et al. Submillisievert standard-pitch CT pulmonary angiography with ultra-low dose contrast media administration: A comparison to standard CT imaging. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186694 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the image quality and radiation dose of submillisievert standard-pitch CT pulmonary angiography (CTPA) with ultra-low dose contrast media administration in comparison to standard CTPA...
- Choi K, Ha M, Ha E, Park H, Kim Y, Hong Y, et al. Neurodevelopment for the first three years following prenatal mobile phone use, radio frequency radiation and lead exposure. Environ Res. 2017;156:810-817 pubmed publisher..We found no association between prenatal exposure to RFR and child neurodevelopment during the first three years of life; however, a potential combined effect of prenatal exposure to lead and mobile phone use was suggested. ..
- Laiakis E, Wang Y, Young E, Harken A, Xu Y, Smilenov L, et al. Metabolic Dysregulation after Neutron Exposures Expected from an Improvised Nuclear Device. Radiat Res. 2017;188:21-34 pubmed publisher..nuclear device (IND) is detonated, a potentially large population of victims will require assessment for radiation exposure. While photons will contribute to a major portion of the dose, neutrons may be responsible for the severity ..
- Abraham S, Frank S, Kearfott K. An Efficient, Affordable Optically Stimulated Luminescent (OSL) Annealer. Health Phys. 2017;113:2-12 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that blue LEDs are the most promising for effective and rapid clearing of the OSL material Al2O3:C. ..
- Umakoshi M, Yamaguchi I, Hirata H, Kunugita N, Williams B, Swartz H, et al. In Vivo Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Tooth Dosimetry: Dependence of Radiation-Induced Signal Amplitude on the Enamel Thickness and Surface Area of Ex Vivo Human Teeth. Health Phys. 2017;113:262-270 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that it is essential to properly consider enamel thickness and area when interpreting electron paramagnetic resonance tooth dosimetry measurements to optimize the accuracy of dose estimation. ..
- Sreetharan S, Thome C, Tharmalingam S, Jones D, Kulesza A, Khaper N, et al. Ionizing Radiation Exposure During Pregnancy: Effects on Postnatal Development and Life. Radiat Res. 2017;187:647-658 pubmed publisher..Overall, long-term effects of prenatal radiation exposure (including the possible role on the developmental programing of disease) are important factors to consider ..
- Alejo L, Koren C, Corredoira E, Sanchez F, Bayon J, Serrada A, et al. Eye lens dose correlations with personal dose equivalent and patient exposure in paediatric interventional cardiology performed with a fluoroscopic biplane system. Phys Med. 2017;36:81-90 pubmed publisher..21±0.58?SvGy-1cm-2. Measurements of personal dose equivalent over the paediatric cardiologist's apron are useful to estimate eye lens dose levels if no radiation protection devices are typically used. ..
- Gillies M, Richardson D, Cardis E, Daniels R, O Hagan J, Haylock R, et al. Mortality from Circulatory Diseases and other Non-Cancer Outcomes among Nuclear Workers in France, the United Kingdom and the United States (INWORKS). Radiat Res. 2017;188:276-290 pubmed publisher..be interpreted as providing further evidence that non-cancer disease risks may be increased by external radiation exposure, particularly for ischemic heart disease and cerebrovascular disease...
- Lumbreras B, Vilar J, Gonzalez Alvarez I, Guilabert M, Pastor Valero M, Parker L, et al. Avoiding fears and promoting shared decision-making: How should physicians inform patients about radiation exposure from imaging tests?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180592 pubmed publisherWe aimed to evaluate the population's awareness about the radiation exposure associated with five specific imaging tests, and their preference regarding three different formats for receiving the information before undergoing an imaging ..
- Fan G, Fu Q, Zhang J, Zhang H, Gu X, Wang C, et al. Radiation reduction of minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion with localisation system in overweight patients: practical technique. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:944-950 pubmed publisher..MITLIF) has been well validated in overweight and obese patients who are consequently subject to a higher radiation exposure. This prospective multicentre study aimed to investigate the efficacy of a novel lumbar localisation system ..
- Schaeffer D, Case D, Ingraham J, Blake P. Plutonium Bioassay Testing of United States Atmospheric Nuclear Test Participants and Occupation Forces of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan. Health Phys. 2017;113:246-251 pubmed publisher..Therefore, fission track analysis (FTA) was found not feasible for implementation on a wide scale basis for atomic veterans. ..
- Klumpp J, Bertelli L. KDEP: A Resource for Calculating Particle Deposition in the Respiratory Tract. Health Phys. 2017;113:110-121 pubmed publisher..KDEP can be obtained for free at github.com or by emailing the authors directly. ..
- KrÅ¾anoviÄ‡ N, Å½ivanoviÄ‡ M, Ciraj Bjelac O, LazareviÄ‡ Ä, Ä†ekliÄ‡ S, StankoviÄ‡ S. Performance Testing Of Selected Types of Electronic Personal Dosimeters in X- and Gamma Radiation Fields. Health Phys. 2017;113:252-261 pubmed publisher..This research proves that many of the EPDs tested performed according to the manufacturer's specifications and the requirements of the international standards regarding personal dosimetry. ..
- Al Shboul K, Alali A, Batayneh I, Al Khodire H. Radiation hazards and lifetime risk assessment of tap water using liquid scintillation counting and high-resolution gamma spectrometry. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:245-252 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the average lifetime risk and annual effective dose received by age-grouped inhabitants due to direct and indirect tap water consumption are evaluated, where most of the received dose is attributed to 226Ra. ..
- Rakhypbekov T, Inoue K, Pak L, Kawano N, Takeichi N, Hoshi M, et al. Endothelial dysfunction in rectal cancer patients chronically exposed to ionizing radiation. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2017;56:205-211 pubmed publisher..Such patients could have an increased risk of thrombosis and other complications after the treatment of a malignant neoplasm. ..
- Kunishima N, Kurihara O, Kim E, Ishikawa T, Nakano T, Fukutsu K, et al. Early Intake of Radiocesium by Residents Living Near the Tepco Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant After the Accident. Part 2: Relationship Between Internal Dose and Evacuation Behavior in Individuals. Health Phys. 2017;112:512-525 pubmed publisher..1 mSv. This suggests that the time of evacuation would be one of the crucial factors for the early intake; however, more personal behavior data are needed to be analyzed to clarify the relevance to the individual internal dose. ..
- Gosling A, Kendrick D, Kim A, Nagavalli A, Kimball E, Liu N, et al. Simulation of carotid artery stenting reduces training procedure and fluoroscopy times. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:298-306 pubmed publisher..Incorporation of endovascular simulators in residency training may assist in shortening the learning curve in rarer endovascular procedures. ..
- McNerney M, Godley L, Le Beau M. Therapy-related myeloid neoplasms: when genetics and environment collide. Nat Rev Cancer. 2017;17:513-527 pubmed publisher..Emerging data are illuminating who is at highest risk of developing t-MN, why t-MN are chemoresistant and how we may use this information to treat and ultimately prevent this lethal disease. ..
- Nemes A, O Dwyer R, Najm I, Ying Z, Gonzalez Martinez J, Alexopoulos A. Treatment with lacosamide impedes generalized seizures in a rodent model of cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1755-1761 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that LCM could be used as a potential treatment option for generalized epilepsy with CD as the underlying pathology. ..
- Stahl C, Meisinger Q, Andre M, Kinney T, Newton I. Radiation Risk to the Fluoroscopy Operator and Staff. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016;207:737-744 pubmed publisher..Interventionalists can mitigate these risks by following established radiation safety practices. ..
- Frush D, Perez M. Children, medical radiation and the environment: An important dialogue. Environ Res. 2017;156:358-363 pubmed publisher..A discussion of radiation exposure is especially relevant in children due to their increased vulnerability, including to radiation-induced ..
- Siegel J, Sacks B, Pennington C, Welsh J. Dose Optimization to Minimize Radiation Risk for Children Undergoing CT and Nuclear Medicine Imaging Is Misguided and Detrimental. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:865-868 pubmed publisherA debate exists within the medical community on whether the linear no-threshold model of ionizing radiation exposure accurately predicts the subsequent incidence of radiogenic cancer...
- Stark K, Goméz Ros J, Vives I Batlle J, Lindbo Hansen E, Beaugelin Seiller K, Kapustka L, et al. Dose assessment in environmental radiological protection: State of the art and perspectives. J Environ Radioact. 2017;175-176:105-114 pubmed publisher..We contend that, although major advances have recently been made in environmental radiation protection, substantive improvements are required to reduce uncertainties and increase the reliability of environmental dosimetry. ..
- Geras kin S, Churyukin R, Volkova P. Radiation exposure of barley seeds can modify the early stages of plants' development. J Environ Radioact. 2017;177:71-83 pubmed publisher..The experimental data on the effect of ?-irradiation on seedlings development were significantly better explained by mathematical models that take into account the hormetic effect. ..
- Penninkhof J, Spadola S, Breedveld S, Baaijens M, Lanconelli N, Heijmen B. Individualized Selection of Beam Angles and Treatment Isocenter in Tangential Breast Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:447-453 pubmed publisher..A method is proposed for individualized selection of beam angles in tangential breast IMRT. This may be especially important for patients with cardiac risk factors or an enhanced risk for the development of contralateral breast cancer. ..
- ZradziÅ„ski P, Karpowicz J, Gryz K, Leszko W. [Evaluation of hazards caused by magnetic field emitted from magnetotherapy applicator to the users of bone conduction hearing prostheses]. Med Pr. 2017;68:469-477 pubmed publisher..med. pr. 2017;68(4):469â€“477. ..
- Xiao M, Bolduc D, Li X, Cui W, Hieber K, Bunger R, et al. Urine Interleukin-18 (IL-18) as a Biomarker of Total-Body Irradiation: A Preliminary Study in Nonhuman Primates. Radiat Res. 2017;188:325-334 pubmed publisher..98. Urine IL-18 measurement, as an early prognostic indicator of survival, may facilitate rapid detection of lethal doses of radiation, based on the currently available data set. ..
- Gordon D, Hansson J, Eloranta S, Gordon M, Gillgren P, Smedby K. Primary tumor sites in relation to ultraviolet radiation exposure and skin visibility correlate with survival in cutaneous melanoma. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:1345-1354 pubmed publisher..A limitation of the study was the lack of information on actual individual UVR exposure. ..
- . Recommendation of Occupational Exposure Limits (2016-2017). J Occup Health. 2016;58:489-518 pubmed
- Bazyka D, Finch S, Ilienko I, Lyaskivska O, Dyagil I, Trotsiuk N, et al. Buccal mucosa micronuclei counts in relation to exposure to low dose-rate radiation from the Chornobyl nuclear accident and other medical and occupational radiation exposures. Environ Health. 2017;16:70 pubmed publisher..Samples were taken between 12 and 18 years after their last radiation exposure from the Chornobyl cleanup...
- Kuo S, Ho T, Liou M, Lin K, Cheng R, Chan S, et al. Higher body weight and distant metastasis are associated with higher radiation exposure to the household environment from patients with thyroid cancer after radioactive iodine therapy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7942 pubmed publisherThere were insufficient data regarding radiation exposure to the household environment from patients with thyroid cancer who received radioactive iodine (RAI) therapy in Asia; we therefore performed the present study at the Chang Gung ..
- Wei W, He J, Wang J, Ding N, Wang B, Lin S, et al. Serum microRNAs as Early Indicators for Estimation of Exposure Degree in Response to Ionizing Irradiation. Radiat Res. 2017;188:342-354 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified a set of miRNAs that are quite sensitive to different radiation types in the early stages after exposure, demonstrating their potential use as effective indicators to predict the degree of exposure. ..
- Bhaskaran R, Damodaran R, Kumar V, Panakal John J, Bangaru D, Natarajan C, et al. Inhalation Dose and Source Term Studies in a Tribal Area of Wayanad, Kerala, India. J Environ Public Health. 2017;2017:1930787 pubmed publisherAmong radiation exposure pathways to human beings, inhalation dose is the most prominent one. Radon, thoron, and their progeny contribute more than 50 per cent to the annual effective dose due to natural radioactivity...