environmental restoration and remediation
Summary: Restoration of an environment, ecosystem, or habitat that was physically damaged during land development or by natural disaster, or contaminated by ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTS. This is accomplished by various chemical, biological, and bulk movement methods, in conjunction with ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING.
- Hu B, Ye F, Jin C, Ma X, Huang C, Sheng G, et al. The enhancement roles of layered double hydroxide on the reductive immobilization of selenate by nanoscale zero valent iron: Macroscopic and microscopic approaches. Chemosphere. 2017;184:408-416 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that NZVI/LDH as a promising candidate exhibited potential application in remediation of wastewaters containing Se(VI). ..
- Hu Q, Liu Y, Gu X, Zhao Y. Adsorption behavior and mechanism of different arsenic species on mesoporous MnFe2O4 magnetic nanoparticles. Chemosphere. 2017;181:328-336 pubmed publisher..The results would help to know the interaction of arsenic species with iron-manganese minerals and the mobility of arsenic species in natural environments. ..
- Seshadri B, Bolan N, Choppala G, Kunhikrishnan A, Sanderson P, Wang H, et al. Potential value of phosphate compounds in enhancing immobilization and reducing bioavailability of mixed heavy metal contaminants in shooting range soil. Chemosphere. 2017;184:197-206 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pb and Zn immobilization by P compounds is an effective long-term remediation strategy for mixed heavy metal contaminated soils. ..
- Jha S, Mishra V, Damodaran T, Sharma D, Kumar P. Arsenic in the groundwater: Occurrence, toxicological activities, and remedies. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev. 2017;35:84-103 pubmed publisher..The article also emphasizes the possible remedies for combating the problem. The knowledge of these facts may help to work on some workable remedial measure. ..
- Aparicio J, Benimeli C, Almeida C, Polti M, Colin V. Integral use of sugarcane vinasse for biomass production of actinobacteria: Potential application in soil remediation. Chemosphere. 2017;181:478-484 pubmed publisher..These results represent the first integral approach to address a problematic of multiple contaminations, concerning pesticides, heavy metals and a regionally important effluent like vinasse. ..
- Meng J, Wang L, Zhong L, Liu X, Brookes P, Xu J, et al. Contrasting effects of composting and pyrolysis on bioavailability and speciation of Cu and Zn in pig manure. Chemosphere. 2017;180:93-99 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that 700 °C is the preferred pyrolysis temperature for the conversion of pig manure contaminated with heavy metals to biochar, in order to minimize environmental pollution. ..
- Lima A, Hofmann A, Reynolds D, Ptacek C, Van Cappellen P, Ottosen L, et al. Environmental Electrokinetics for a sustainable subsurface. Chemosphere. 2017;181:122-133 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we highlight new EK applications that may come to play a role in the sustainable treatment of the contaminated subsurface. ..
- Hou Z, Lu W, Xue H, Lin J. A comparative research of different ensemble surrogate models based on set pair analysis for the DNAPL-contaminated aquifer remediation strategy optimization. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:28-37 pubmed publisher..5%. Using an ES model instead of the simulation model was critical for considerably reducing the computation time of simulation-optimization process and maintaining high computation accuracy simultaneously. ..
- Mudumbi J, Ntwampe S, Matsha T, Mekuto L, Itoba Tombo E. Recent developments in polyfluoroalkyl compounds research: a focus on human/environmental health impact, suggested substitutes and removal strategies. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:402 pubmed publisher..However, regardless of how efficient removers some of these techniques have proven to be, short-chain PFCs remain a challenge to overcome for scientists, in this regard. ..
- Pei G, Zhu Y, Cai X, Shi W, Li H. Surfactant flushing remediation of o-dichlorobenzene and p-dichlorobenzene contaminated soil. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1112-1121 pubmed publisher..Thus, it was confirmed that the biosurfactants saponin and alkyl polyglycoside could be used for remediation of o-DCB and p-DCB contaminated soil. ..
- Ye M, Li G, Yan P, Ren J, Zheng L, Han D, et al. Removal of metals from lead-zinc mine tailings using bioleaching and followed by sulfide precipitation. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1189-1196 pubmed publisher..The results in the study were to provide useful information for recovering or removing metals from lead-zinc mine tailings. ..
- Wang G, Um W, Cantrell K, Snyder M, Bowden M, Triplett M, et al. Effects of hydrated lime on radionuclides stabilization of Hanford tank residual waste. Chemosphere. 2017;185:171-177 pubmed publisher..The result implies that hydrated lime could be a great candidate for stabilizing Hanford tank residual wastes where uranium is one of the main concerns. ..
- Thanh L, Liu J. Flotation separation of strontium via phosphate precipitation. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2520-2526 pubmed publisher..SDS enhanced the aggregation of Sr3(PO4)2 precipitates as the size increased from 1.65 to 28.0 ?m, which was beneficial to separation as well. ..
- Bayraktarov E, Saunders M, Abdullah S, Mills M, Beher J, Possingham H, et al. The cost and feasibility of marine coastal restoration. Ecol Appl. 2016;26:1055-74 pubmed..Restoration success depended primarily on the ecosystem, site selection, and techniques applied rather than on money spent. We need enhanced investment in both improving restoration practices and large-scale restoration. ..
- Li H, Zhou L, Wang C, Chen R, Ma X, Xu B, et al. Associations Between Air Quality Changes and Biomarkers of Systemic Inflammation During the 2014 Nanjing Youth Olympics: A Quasi-Experimental Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;185:1290-1296 pubmed publisher..Our study indicated that reduced air pollution, especially fine particulate matter and ozone, during the 2014 Nanjing Youth Olympics was associated with alleviated systemic inflammation in healthy adults. ..
- Konkel L. Salting the Earth: The Environmental Impact of Oil and Gas Wastewater Spills. Environ Health Perspect. 2016;124:A230-A235 pubmed
- Liang S, Luo Q, Huang Q. Degradation of sulfadimethoxine catalyzed by laccase with soybean meal extract as natural mediator: Mechanism and reaction pathway. Chemosphere. 2017;181:320-327 pubmed publisher..Therefore, as a natural, phenol rich, and affordable compound system, the future application of SBE in wastewater and soil remediation is worth exploring. ..
- Gat D, Ronen Z, Tsesarsky M. Long-term sustainability of microbial-induced CaCO3 precipitation in aqueous media. Chemosphere. 2017;184:524-531 pubmed publisher..These results provide basic insights into the sustainability of ureolytic MICP and should further encourage removal of the accumulated ammonia from the treated site. ..
- Mosmeri H, Alaie E, Shavandi M, Dastgheib S, Tasharrofi S. Benzene-contaminated groundwater remediation using calcium peroxide nanoparticles: synthesis and process optimization. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:452 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, comparison of biotic and abiotic experiments showed a great potential of microbial stimulation using CaO2 nanoparticles in benzene remediation from groundwater. ..
- Yang Y, Li J, Xi B, Wang Y, Tang J, Wang Y, et al. Modeling BTEX migration with soil vapor extraction remediation under low-temperature conditions. J Environ Manage. 2017;203:114-122 pubmed publisher..It was therefore determined that TMVOC can provide scientific guidance for determining whether to optimize or terminate SVE operations under low-temperature conditions. ..
- Kerminen K, Salovaara V, Kontro M. A zero-valent iron and organic matter mixture enhances herbicide and herbicide degradation product removal in subsurface waters. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;57:411-417 pubmed publisher..88mg/g of EHC® in slurries under aerobic conditions. EHC® can be used to enhance the dissipation of studied pesticides in small quantities, preferentially under aerobic conditions. ..
- Mwakabona H, Ndé Tchoupé A, Njau K, Noubactep C, Wydra K. Metallic iron for safe drinking water provision: Considering a lost knowledge. Water Res. 2017;117:127-142 pubmed publisher..It appears that the ancient knowledge is an independent validation of the scientific concept that in water treatment (Fe0/H2O system) Fe0 materials are generators of contaminant collectors. ..
- Shi R, Li J, Jiang J, Mehmood K, Liu Y, Xu R, et al. Characteristics of biomass ashes from different materials and their ameliorative effects on acid soils. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;55:294-302 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the biomass ashes from wood and crop residues with low concrete contents were the better acid soil amendments. ..
- Mohammadi A, Nemati S, Mosaferi M, Abdollahnejhad A, Almasian M, Sheikhmohammadi A. Predicting the capability of carboxymethyl cellulose-stabilized iron nanoparticles for the remediation of arsenite from water using the response surface methodology (RSM) model: Modeling and optimization. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:85-92 pubmed publisher..The predicted optimal conditions for the maximum removal efficiency were achieved with initial arsenite concentration, 0.68mgL-1; C-nZVI, 0.3 (gL-1); time, 31.25 (min) and pH, 5.2. ..
- Li J, Beiyuan J, Tsang D, Wang L, Poon C, Li X, et al. Arsenic-containing soil from geogenic source in Hong Kong: Leaching characteristics and stabilization/solidification. Chemosphere. 2017;182:31-39 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the importance of holistic assessment and treatment/management of As-containing soils for enabling flexible future land use. ..
- Moore M, Locke M, Kroger R. Mitigation of atrazine, S-metolachlor, and diazinon using common emergent aquatic vegetation. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;56:114-121 pubmed publisher..While native aquatic vegetation shows promise for mitigation of pesticide runoff, further studies increasing the hydraulic retention time for improved efficiency should be examined. ..
- Chen Z, Luo L, Xiao D, Lv J, Wen B, Ma Y, et al. Selected dark sides of biomass-derived biochars as environmental amendments. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:13-20 pubmed publisher..The results of this study provide important perspectives on the safe usage of biochars as agricultural/environmental amendments. ..
- Kogbara R, Dumkhana B, Ayotamuno J, Okparanma R. Recycling stabilised/solidified drill cuttings for forage production in acidic soils. Chemosphere. 2017;184:652-663 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that recycling S/S treated drill cuttings for forage production may be a potential end use of the treated waste. ..
- Watson A, Merovich G, Petty J, Gutta J. Evaluating expected outcomes of acid remediation in an intensively mined Appalachian watershed. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:339 pubmed publisher..Developing expected endpoints for restoration outcomes provides a tool to objectively evaluate successes and can guide adaptive management strategies. ..
- Boros Lajszner E, Wyszkowska J, Kucharski J. Use of zeolite to neutralise nickel in a soil environment. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;190:54 pubmed publisher..Zeolite Bio.Zeo.S.01 used in the study only slightly alleviated the negative effect of nickel on the biochemical properties of soil. Therefore, its usability in the remediation of soil contaminated with nickel is small. ..
- Peter A, Mihaly Cozmuta A, Nicula C, Mihaly Cozmuta L. Assessment of TiO2 photoactivity on the lead removal: kinetic and mechanistic processing. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2508-2519 pubmed publisher..The lead removal was significantly influenced by the mobility and by the concentration of the species in solution. ..
- Yan X, Liu Q, Wang J, Liao X. A combined process coupling phytoremediation and in situ flushing for removal of arsenic in contaminated soil. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;57:104-109 pubmed publisher..vittata still had good accumulation and transfer capacity of As of the soil. The results of the research revealed that combination of phytoremediation and in situ soil flushing is available to remediate As-contaminated soils. ..
- Meng F, Yuan G, Wei J, Bi D, Ok Y, Wang H. Humic substances as a washing agent for Cd-contaminated soils. Chemosphere. 2017;181:461-467 pubmed publisher..Besides being environmentally benign, humic substances can improve soil physical, chemical, and biological properties. ..
- Dai J, Wang W, Wu W, Gao J, Dong C. Adsorption and desorption of Cu2+ on paddy soil aggregates pretreated with different levels of phosphate. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;55:311-320 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that goethite is one of the main soil substances responsible for the P-induced promotion and inhibition of Cu2+ adsorption. ..
- Sung M, Teng C, Yang T. Dissolution enhancement and mathematical modeling of removal of residual trichloroethene in sands by ozonation during flushing with micro-nano-bubble solution. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;202:1-10 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that a specific parameter pertinent to NAPL-water interfacial area in the Sherwood number had to be modified to satisfactorily describe the dissolution of TCE in the presence of MNB in water. ..
- Zou Y, Grace M, Roberts K, Yu X. Thin ferrihydrite sediment capping sequestrates phosphorus experiencing redox conditions in a shallow temperate lacustrine wetland. Chemosphere. 2017;185:673-680 pubmed publisher..TP and TN in the sediments decreased after capping, while TFe increased significantly. We concluded that 0.6 cm thickness of (496 g/m2) Fh capping could sequestrate P, even experiencing redox conditions. ..
- Pearce A, Rastetter E, Kwiatkowski B, Bowden W, Mack M, Jiang Y. Recovery of arctic tundra from thermal erosion disturbance is constrained by nutrient accumulation: a modeling analysis. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:1271-89 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that although vegetation and surface SOM on TEFs recovered quickly (25 and 100 years, respectively), the recovery of deep, mineral soil SOM took centuries and represented a major ecosystem C loss. ..
- Ilyenko I. Role of VEGF-A gene in the formation of late effects after the Chornobyl accident. Probl Radiac Med Radiobiol. 2013;:190-9 pubmed..Vysnovky. Vyznacheno rjad pokaznykiv, jaki harakteryzujut' stan ta porushennja u systemi â€žimunitet-angiogenezâ€ ta mozhut' buty perspektyvnymy u prognozuvanni puhlynnogo procesu u viddalenomu periodi pislja oprominennja. ..
- Chen W, Jia Y, Liu A, Zhou Q, Song L. Simultaneous elimination of cyanotoxins and PCBs via mechanical collection of cyanobacterial blooms: An application of "green-bioadsorption concept". J Environ Sci (China). 2017;57:118-126 pubmed publisher..In the practice of mechanical collections of bloom biomass from Lake Taihu, cyanotoxin/cyanobacteria and PCBs were found to be removed simultaneously very efficiently followed this theory. ..
- Zhang Y, Chelme Ayala P, Klamerth N, Gamal El Din M. Application of UV-irradiated Fe(III)-nitrilotriacetic acid (UV-Fe(III)NTA) and UV-NTA-Fenton systems to degrade model and natural occurring naphthenic acids. Chemosphere. 2017;179:359-366 pubmed publisher..This work opens a new window for the possible treatment of OSPW at natural pH using these AOPs. ..
- Kumpiene J, Nordmark D, Carabante I, Sužiedelytė Visockienė J, Aksamitauskas V. Remediation of soil contaminated with organic and inorganic wood impregnation chemicals by soil washing. Chemosphere. 2017;184:13-19 pubmed publisher..Leaching of As from all washed soil fractions was so high, that none of the particle size fractions could be disposed of without additional treatment. ..
- Sumaraj -, Padhye L. Influence of surface chemistry of carbon materials on their interactions with inorganic nitrogen contaminants in soil and water. Chemosphere. 2017;184:532-547 pubmed publisher..Change in surface chemistry of CM in soil during aging is also discussed. ..
- Sudeep Kumara K, Sahoo B, Gaware J, Sapra B, Mayya Y, Karunakara N. Thoron Mitigation System based on charcoal bed for applications in thorium fuel cycle facilities (part 2): Development, characterization, and performance evaluation. J Environ Radioact. 2017;172:249-260 pubmed publisher..The prototype system has been installed in a thorium fuel cycle facility where it is being evaluated for its long-term performance and overall effectiveness in mitigating 220Rn levels in the workplace. ..
- Praveen A, Mehrotra S, Singh N. Rice planted along with accumulators in arsenic amended plots reduced arsenic uptake in grains and shoots. Chemosphere. 2017;184:1327-1333 pubmed publisher..The study concluded that combinations of accumulators with crops could be useful for the survival and safe grains in As-contaminated soils but with some amendments in long-term remediation. ..
- Black H. HAZARDOUS WASTE: GAO grades hanford cleanup. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:A539 pubmed
- Ling L, Zhang D, Fang J, Fan C, Shang C. A novel Fe(II)/citrate/UV/peroxymonosulfate process for micropollutant degradation: Optimization by response surface methodology and effects of water matrices. Chemosphere. 2017;184:417-428 pubmed publisher..Other aqueous constituents which impacted the CBZ removal in the Fe(II)/citrate/UV/PMS process are in the following order: NOM > alkalinity > bromide > ammonia ? chloride (both negligible). ..
- Falciglia P, Romanò S, Vagliasindi F. Application of a ?RS index-based method and techno-economic analysis for in situ treatment of 137Cs-contaminated soils by cement-barite based stabilisation/solidification. J Environ Manage. 2017;197:619-630 pubmed publisher..Technical data, jointly with economic analysis findings, make cement-barite based-S/S very competitive in cost-effectiveness and could provide a basis for decision-making of 137Cs-contaminated site remediation. ..
- Liang J, Yang Z, Tang L, Zeng G, Yu M, Li X, et al. Changes in heavy metal mobility and availability from contaminated wetland soil remediated with combined biochar-compost. Chemosphere. 2017;181:281-288 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that different ratios of biochar and compost have a significant effect on availability and speciation of heavy metals in multi-metal-contaminated wetland soil. ..
- Yan L, Li C, Zhang J, Moodley O, Liu S, Lan C, et al. Enhanced Phytoextraction of Lead from Artificially Contaminated Soil by Mirabilis jalapa with Chelating Agents. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;99:208-212 pubmed publisher..Given the potential environmental risks of EDTA, we recommend NTA be used as a suitable chelating agent to increase the phytoremediation of Pb-contaminated soil with M. jalapa. ..
- Zhu F, Li L, Ren W, Deng X, Liu T. Effect of pH, temperature, humic acid and coexisting anions on reduction of Cr(?) in the soil leachate by nZVI/Ni bimetal material. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:444-450 pubmed publisher..Activation energy was 143.80 kJ mol-1, showing that the reaction occurred easily. Therefore, the study provides an idea for nZVI/Ni further research and practical application of nZVI/Ni in soil remediation. ..
- Rehman M, Khalid H, Akmal F, Ali S, Rizwan M, Qayyum M, et al. Effect of limestone, lignite and biochar applied alone and combined on cadmium uptake in wheat and rice under rotation in an effluent irrigated field. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:560-568 pubmed publisher..The benefit-cost ratio and Cd contents in plants revealed that limestone + biochar treatment might be an effective amendment for increasing plant growth with lower Cd concentrations. ..
- Khan W, Ramzani P, Anjum S, Abbas F, Iqbal M, Yasar A, et al. Potential of miscanthus biochar to improve sandy soil health, in situ nickel immobilization in soil and nutritional quality of spinach. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1144-1156 pubmed publisher..05) improved with increasing rates of MIB. This study implies that application of MIB at 5% rate can improve the nutritional quality of spinach, sandy soil health and can reduce Ni concentrations in spinach tissues. ..
- Quam V, Rocklöv J, Quam M, Lucas R. Assessing Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Health Co-Benefits: A Structured Review of Lifestyle-Related Climate Change Mitigation Strategies. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Variation in culture, nutritional and health status, plus geographic density will determine which mitigation scenario(s) best suit individual communities. ..
- Yu K, Xu J, Jiang X, Liu C, McCall W, Lu J. Stabilization of heavy metals in soil using two organo-bentonites. Chemosphere. 2017;184:884-891 pubmed publisher..This study provided operational and mechanistic basis for optimizing the organic clay synthesis and selecting as the appropriate amendment for remediation of heavy metal contaminated soils. ..
- Dashti N, Ali N, Khanafer M, Radwan S. Oil uptake by plant-based sorbents and its biodegradation by their naturally associated microorganisms. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:468-475 pubmed publisher..In this way, it is easy to see that those waste products are capable of remediating spilled oil physically, and that their associated microbial communities can degrade it biologically. ..
- Georgakis N, Chronopoulou E, Gad M, Skliros D, Efrose R, Flemetakis E, et al. Functional and Catalytic Characterization of the Detoxifying Enzyme Haloalkane Dehalogenase from Rhizobium leguminosarum. Protein Pept Lett. 2017;24:599-608 pubmed publisher..This work sheds new light on the environmental fate and toxicity of 1,2-DBE and provides new knowledge on the structure, function and diversity of HLDs for developing applications in toxicology. ..
- Zheng S, Li X, Zhang X, Wang W, Yuan S. Effect of inorganic regenerant properties on pharmaceutical adsorption and desorption performance on polymer anion exchange resin. Chemosphere. 2017;182:325-331 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that regeneration protocols, including regenerant cation type, anion type and volume, should be optimized to improve pharmaceutical removal by AERs. ..